Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 74
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll say it again, this is the ONLY bullpup I've ever been interested in. I can't afford one anyways, so I'll keep my eyes open and hope it gets sorted out.
View Quote

I am HOPING that their manufacturing isn't super slow so that we will see some show up on Gun Broker etc (i.e. that demand doesn't outstrip supply) and that the MRSP will actually lead to a street price of around $1700-$1800 but who knows.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Played with the MDR and talked to the guys at SHOT the other day.  They tell me the street price will be $1,700 for the 5.56 and $2,000 for the 308.  Haven't shot it but just from handling it I can tell you this thing rocks.  Being a lefty it is important to be able to switch ejection easily without having to change bolts.  All you have to do is switch ejection covers from one side to the other and you are set.

I will definitely be getting one as I think this puts the Tavor to shame (for many reasons but no time to tell you).
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Played with the MDR and talked to the guys at SHOT the other day.  They tell me the street price will be $1,700 for the 5.56 and $2,000 for the 308.  Haven't shot it but just from handling it I can tell you this thing rocks.  Being a lefty it is important to be able to switch ejection easily without having to change bolts.  All you have to do is switch ejection covers from one side to the other and you are set.

I will definitely be getting one as I think this puts the Tavor to shame (for many reasons but no time to tell you).
View Quote

Thats great to hear....my lgs wont carry it anyway, so i have to order online regardless...
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm assuming you have to go through one of their authorized dealers from the wording in the email regarding pre-orders.  

Put you zip in here:  http://deserttech.com/html/locate_a_dealer.php

ETA: Link hotness.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm hesitant to preorder but does anyone have a list of their "approved" vendors I can't seem to find it. Was just going to have it shipped to my nearest ffl but I'm sure I'll have to drive half way across the country for it now.

I'm assuming you have to go through one of their authorized dealers from the wording in the email regarding pre-orders.  

Lol - 125+ miles.  
Nope.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Lol - 125+ miles.  
Nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm hesitant to preorder but does anyone have a list of their "approved" vendors I can't seem to find it. Was just going to have it shipped to my nearest ffl but I'm sure I'll have to drive half way across the country for it now.

Lol - 125+ miles.  
Nope.

Closest 3 dealers for me are all in NY which wont be able to even sell the MDR because of the SAFE act. I'd have to drive 155 miles into PA for the next closest one
I think I'll wait.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#7]
313 miles to a dealer for me, lol.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
313 miles to a dealer for me, lol.
View Quote

15 miles, 80, miles, then, 108 miles into the NEIGHBORING COUNTRY, lol....but then again, I could just ask a gun shop owner I know even closer than 15 miles at 13 miles., to become a dealer for them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did it look like their was a place to put a bottom rail on the handguard for a foregrip?
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Did it look like their was a place to put a bottom rail on the handguard for a foregrip?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

iirc the handguard is pretty easy to remove and at one point they were saying they were going to be selling other options. I don't see anything on their website about that anymore. Also a shame that they didn't offer longer barrel lengths. Did anyone else hear any more on the group buy thread on the other forum? I signed up to it ages ago but haven't heard a thing.

p.s. also looks like it may have mlok holes in the handguard can anyone confirm?
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three are M-Lok slots on the bottom.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
iirc the handguard is pretty easy to remove and at one point they were saying they were going to be selling other options. I don't see anything on their website about that anymore. Also a shame that they didn't offer longer barrel lengths. Did anyone else hear any more on the group buy thread on the other forum? I signed up to it ages ago but haven't heard a thing.

p.s. also looks like it may have mlok holes in the handguard can anyone confirm?
View Quote

Other barrel lengths will be released, just not now.  Until production meets the initial demand all that's offered are two colors (black and FDE) and two calibers (.223 and .308), all with the same barrel length.  That keeps things to four unique SKUs that need to be tracked.  Depending on how many they can produce per week and what demand is, I don't think I'd get my hopes up for extended barrel lengths until the fall.  That's just a SWAG based on bits and pieces DT has said on FB.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfect!

All good things come to those who wait, so I think I will save my money and wait until the the MDR is ready.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Some vids are up on Youtube on the MDR at the SHOT show.  Here's one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1nKr7_VozU

To be honest... I'm kind of glad it's starting with just 16".  I sort of expect some bumps.   Since I won't be buying it until a longer .308 BBL is available than 16, that'll give them some time to mature a bit more.  At current pace, probably 2017 for me.

Here's another more in-depth with supplier description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHQz34ox3gk
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got the preorder email. $2249.00

https://www.deserttech.com/html/rifle_builder.php?r=4

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just got the preorder email. $2249.00

https://www.deserttech.com/html/rifle_builder.php?r=4

View Quote

Yeah me too but i'm still waiting to hear something concrete on the group buy over at the bullpup forum! argh
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here's another more in-depth with supplier description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHQz34ox3gk
View Quote

Just an FYI...this video is a year old and was taken at SHOT 2015, not 2016.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:06:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aw man I didn't catch that.  OK, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#19]
FYI: There is a good article on the MDR in the latest Recoil magazine issue 23 but does not reveal much we don't already know nevertheless a nice little read.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
FYI: There is a good article on the MDR in the latest Recoil magazine issue 23 but does not reveal much we don't already know nevertheless a nice little read.
View Quote

The author is a jackass who likes to insult his readers.  I truly despise articles written like the author thinks we're in a bar and he's relating the story to me.  Very sloppy writing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:12:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Talked to a Desert Tech CS REP today.  They can not apply the Mil / Leo discount if you have already ordered.  The guy said he can cancel the order but there would be a restocking fee then apply the discount to a new order putting you at the bottom of the order list :( .  He did not confirm what or how much the discount for Mil / Leo is, but said "it's not really worth it".  

THAT"S a huge disappointment.  After they talked it up and said they could do it.  It went from them saying that it would be 10% to 20%, to not being worth it when taking the restocking fee into account?  Sounded like the guy was a little, I don't know how to handle this...  in any case.  A bummer.

FA
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Talked to a Desert Tech CS REP today.  They can not apply the Mil / Leo discount if you have already ordered.  The guy said he can cancel the order but there would be a restocking fee then apply the discount to a new order putting you at the bottom of the order list :( .  He did not confirm what or how much the discount for Mil / Leo is, but said "it's not really worth it".  

THAT"S a huge disappointment.  After they talked it up and said they could do it.  It went from them saying that it would be 10% to 20%, to not being worth it when taking the restocking fee into account?  Sounded like the guy was a little, I don't know how to handle this...  in any case.  A bummer.

FA
View Quote

That is a bummer if so. For what it's worth last week I emailed them about ordering an MDR through their military discount program and was promptly referred to their 'military program' (?) guy, who has since never written back to my enquiry.

I was really hyped to be selling off my Tavor and buying an MDR for almost the same money. Also, it sketches me out a bit that they say they have these in production yet are (unknown) months from delivery, and have not delivered any for reviewers that I have seen. A lot of people would feel better about plunking 2k+ on a sight unseen rifle if they could at least get a little info about it. Reliability tests, accuracy tests...I've seen two recently stated weights that are a pound off. Maybe I'm being overcritical, and I hope I am, but something in this isn't adding up and it seems that the MDR isn't as ready as they'd like to admit.

Hopefully reviewers start putting out videos saying they've been secretly testing it for a few months, shortly.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I got out of the group buy on bullpupforum.

Hoping that the 20% mil/Leo discount they originally advertised will come out sometime this year.

I'm in no hurry though.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That is a bummer if so. For what it's worth last week I emailed them about ordering an MDR through their military discount program and was promptly referred to their 'military program' (?) guy, who has since never written back to my enquiry.

I was really hyped to be selling off my Tavor and buying an MDR for almost the same money. Also, it sketches me out a bit that they say they have these in production yet are (unknown) months from delivery, and have not delivered any for reviewers that I have seen. A lot of people would feel better about plunking 2k+ on a sight unseen rifle if they could at least get a little info about it. Reliability tests, accuracy tests...I've seen two recently stated weights that are a pound off. Maybe I'm being overcritical, and I hope I am, but something in this isn't adding up and it seems that the MDR isn't as ready as they'd like to admit.

Hopefully reviewers start putting out videos saying they've been secretly testing it for a few months, shortly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FA

I got the guys number...  He never replied to my emails either.  I can give you the number, but I'm not sure if the program is actually up and running or for what amount they'll give you off.  I was too miffed at the time to ask too many questions, and the guy didn't seem interested in helping me.  PM me if you'd like the number, it took me calling about 3 times.

FA

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

FA
View Quote

Really?  You're upset that they're not giving you a hellishly good discount on a product that will probably have them working around the clock for the next year just to meet the initial demand?  They're still offering something, which they don't have to.

I'm amazed at the sense of entitlement I'm seeing when people talk about DT and the MDR; if it isn't a pet feature, color, caliber, or them bending over backwards to release videos of *preproduction* rifles, it's carping about a discount.  I'm not trying to single you out, FailedAbortion, rather I'm commenting on the general comments I've seen for the past eight months or so.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:42:50 AM EDT
[#26]
not knocking dt, but I think the biggest mistake they made was giving that release date. Justs adds to their pressure. I doubt they expected some of the difficulties that I imagine they have experienced. Wonder what the response would be if they released an unfinished product and treated first time buyers like beta testers, cough, mpx, cough
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:47:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Really?  You're upset that they're not giving you a hellishly good discount on a product that will probably have them working around the clock for the next year just to meet the initial demand?  They're still offering something, which they don't have to.

I'm amazed at the sense of entitlement I'm seeing when people talk about DT and the MDR; if it isn't a pet feature, color, caliber, or them bending over backwards to release videos of *preproduction* rifles, it's carping about a discount.  I'm not trying to single you out, FailedAbortion, rather I'm commenting on the general comments I've seen for the past eight months or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FA

I wouldn't have been bummed if the CS Rep hadn't told me about it when I ordered and that it was possible.  I mean the CS Rep gave me the contact info and said this is how you can get a discount.  It's not entitlement when they tell you they're going to give you something then they back out.  I'm not bad mouthing DT.  I didn't cancel my order or demand free stuff.  I just followed up on the process they told me to get a discount they were offering me.  THE only reason, I posted it on this forum was to let others who are interested in the MDR know about the process.  I even offered to help them after being told I can't get the discount.

The discount is still being offered for those that are interested.  I do not know what the amount is and the Rep would not confirm the amount on the phone.  I don't have and haven't said anything bad about DT or the MDR.  While I share your frustrations about a product being trashed and bad mouthed before it even arrives, your approach did single me out.

I hope the MDR is every bit as cool as it looks.  For now I am content to wait for my pre-order to arrive...  whenever that may be.

FA
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone else commit to the group buy?

Money was sent today, really hoping in less than 6 months I'll have it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I sent full payment yesterday.  All I owe is whatever shipping turns out to be.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:29:15 AM EDT
[#30]
I am really hoping these roll out before July, I'd be the coolest kid at the man's camp out this year if so.  

FA
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am really hoping these roll out before July, I'd be the coolest kid at the man's camp out this year if so.  

FA
View Quote

They didn't even have a working prototype at SHOT.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FA

And then there's that...
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FA

That's what gets me. They have working prototypes. We've all seen the videos. But they couldn't send even one to SHOT? What the hell?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FA

They did have working MDRs there, they just didn't have it where the rank and file media day attendees could drool over it.  According to Hank Strange (see his comment in the comments of the video he posted at Full30.com), they took it to the "Tactical Range" for the .mil and .gov folks and that was a "no pictures" and only authorized people only zone.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm gonna just do the $1000 now and do the rest when they want to ship. Assuming that's how they want to do it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

FA
View Quote

I'm desperately hoping I get it before fall bear season. That would be the perfect way to christen this rifle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm desperately hoping I get it before fall bear season. That would be the perfect way to christen this rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FA

When I spoke with DT's regional rep today at the Great American Outdoor Show, he was adamant that it would be released Q2, barrels and extra conversion kits later in the summer, and up to to other calibers released by the end of the year.  When I pressed him about the other calibers, he confirmed that 6.5 Creedmore was already on tap but that the other one was still up in the air.  

We had a good long chat for perhaps fifteen or twenty minutes where he answered a lot of questions and dispelled many of the rumors that have been circulating.  After handling the MDR and trying the trigger, I'm completely sold on it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

When I spoke with DT's regional rep today at the Great American Outdoor Show, he was adamant that it would be released Q2, barrels and extra conversion kits later in the summer, and up to to other calibers released by the end of the year.  When I pressed him about the other calibers, he confirmed that 6.5 Creedmore was already on tap but that the other one was still up in the air.  

We had a good long chat for perhaps fifteen or twenty minutes where he answered a lot of questions and dispelled many of the rumors that have been circulating.  After handling the MDR and trying the trigger, I'm completely sold on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FA

I know this seems like a random question, but did they mention for sure what the gas settings on the gun would be?  I'm hoping for an "off" setting for quiet suppressed shooting.  I've seen a couple different reports, both with different accounts.  I've already committed to buying one, but would love to get a concrete answer on that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They did have working MDRs there, they just didn't have it where the rank and file media day attendees could drool over it.  According to Hank Strange (see his comment in the comments of the video he posted at Full30.com), they took it to the "Tactical Range" for the .mil and .gov folks and that was a "no pictures" and only authorized people only zone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FA

If they are not ready to let average joes take a look, then I'm not ready for them to take a look at my average joe money either ;)

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FA

I find it hard to believe that if a company had a working prototype they didn't have it at SHOT range day like every other company that has working guns.  I mean what are they trying to hide?  With that said, I am excited about this gun as well and will own the first one I see.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Have to ask. Who is going to get at the MDR first? Mil.,LEO, or Civilian?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I know this seems like a random question, but did they mention for sure what the gas settings on the gun would be?  I'm hoping for an "off" setting for quiet suppressed shooting.  I've seen a couple different reports, both with different accounts.  I've already committed to buying one, but would love to get a concrete answer on that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FA

No, I didn't discuss the gas system as it's a non-issue for me; I'm going with an OSS suppressor and it's not something I need to really worry about.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If they are not ready to let average joes take a look, then I'm not ready for them to take a look at my average joe money either ;)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FA

It could be that they only had a limited number available and wanted to make sure the .mil and .gov purchasers/users had an unfettered chance to handle them.  Think about it...how many people who *aren't* FFL holders, media, or retail purchasers attend SHOT because they know someone or begged their local dealer to get them a pass?  I know several people in a group I belong to attend that way.  So you have all these people who at best might result in a one or two unit sale monopolizing the few working examples from those that DT is trying to demo it to and who might offer a considerably larger sale.

I would suspect that if they had more finished examples that you would have seen them on the general admission firing line.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Have to ask. Who is going to get at the MDR first? Mil.,LEO, or Civilian?
View Quote

Dunno...but the regional sales manager I spoke with on Monday was adamant that it would be a Q2 general release.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#45]

It could be that they only had a limited number available and wanted to make sure the .mil and .gov purchasers/users had an unfettered chance to handle them.  Think about it...how many people who *aren't* FFL holders, media, or retail purchasers attend SHOT because they know someone or begged their local dealer to get them a pass?  I know several people in a group I belong to attend that way.  So you have all these people who at best might result in a one or two unit sale monopolizing the few working examples from those that DT is trying to demo it to and who might offer a considerably larger sale.

I would suspect that if they had more finished examples that you would have seen them on the general admission firing line.
View Quote

I'm with you on this...  They didn't need to have any Demo guns at range day, THEY'VE hosted range days for the DMR.  Not having a "working prototype" at Range Day when they are in the process of producing the rifles doesn't bother me.  I think it's like the guy above said.  IT makes way more since to put on a private demo for Mil & LEO contracts and get at some of that sweet contract money then offering up demos for folks to play with.

FA
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FA

I'm committed to buying one as well and have very high hopes for it. Thanks for all the info, I'm anxious to get my hands on one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Anybody know what the price will be with an LEO/Mil discount?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Anybody know what the price will be with an LEO/Mil discount?
View Quote

At the moment, it's up in the air what, if any, discount will be offered on the MDR.  The program is currently suspended but according to the regional sales manager, they are looking at bringing it back in a more permanent form, though it may not initially cover all products/rifles.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No, I didn't discuss the gas system as it's a non-issue for me; I'm going with an OSS suppressor and it's not something I need to really worry about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FA

Nope. You will have plenty of other things to worry about though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Someone saying they had an actual shooting rifle at SHOT doesn't mean much to me.  Show us actual 'production' rifles.

Meanwhile, I remain hopeful they'll eventually come clean and sort it so, I'm in for one.
Sent $500 for now on the GB.

Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top