BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 74
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Picked up my FDE MDR from EuroOptics today. I'm hoping to shoot it this weekend.
http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t606/cp9002/IMG_4442_zpsbrhwb4f1.jpg
View Quote
Very nice and congrats on the wait being over!

Please get us a range report when you can...and more pictures to salivate over!

Quick question: is the color differentiation from brightness/camera, or is there actually 3 different tones of FDE there?

Also what optic or other accessories are you going to use?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:11:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Very nice and congrats on the wait being over!

Please get us a range report when you can...and more pictures to salivate over!

Quick question: is the color differentiation from brightness/camera, or is there actually 3 different tones of FDE there?

Also what optic or other accessories are you going to use?
View Quote
I only noticed two colors earlier but I was pretty excited to finally have it in my hands and may not have noticed a third color. For now I only have a set of iron sights on it. I can't make up my mind on what optic I want for it. Hopefully I'll get a better idea of what I want after I shoot if.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I only noticed two colors earlier but I was pretty excited to finally have it in my hands and may not have noticed a third color. For now I only have a set of iron sights on it. I can't make up my mind on what optic I want for it. Hopefully I'll get a better idea of what I want after I shoot if.
View Quote
I think that is the first FDE I have seen in the wild.  From what I could tell, looked like the hand guard, pistol grip, and upper had different colors...very likely could be the lighting.  In any case, I kind of like the "scar" effect.

I am planning to go with a Leupold Mark 6 1-6 when mine arrives in next few months (being told October). My thought is I want the benefit of the CQB but would like to be able to take advantage of the range the 308 offers.

Not sure what to do with iron sites and I think I will wait until mine arrives...trying to decide whether to go traditional or setup some sort of offset.  Not sure how that will jive with the charging handles.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:37:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Picked up my FDE MDR from EuroOptics today. I'm hoping to shoot it this weekend.
View Quote
I dont know if its the lighting or what....but after seeing this pic.....I wish I choose black for my ancient pre-order
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I dont know if its the lighting or what....but after seeing this pic.....I wish I choose black for my ancient pre-order
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like the "desert sand" color that Arsenal used to have.  Not a fan.

I will say, I am glad folks are finally getting their rifles.  Hopefully they live up to their expectations.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#6]
How does a company called Desert Tech fuck up FDE so badly?

I bought an RDB yesterday lol
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
The color isn't so bad. I kind of like it, looks like the scar coloration. Breaks up the monotony of single color guns.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The color isn't so bad. I kind of like it, looks like the scar coloration. Breaks up the monotony of single color guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and the SCAR gets panned routinely for FN's "inability" to match colors.  I've yet to meet an FDE gun that appealed to me, so I'm probably not a good one to comment, though I'm pretty sure this guy approves:

Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Could anyone tell me the barrel diameter of the mdr for both or either calibers?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#10]
My 5" FDE M&P 2.0 is the same way...

Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I was told by a Desert Tech employee this week that only 10 MDR's have shipped as of this week.  Much lower numbers than I would have expected.  I was expecting 50-150.  I don't have one on order, thankfully for all of this time, however, it is a sweet rifle.

No wonder there aren't more pictures or reviews yet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
Nice shooting/humble brag!

All seriousness I think there is some lighting/camera angle stuff at play in the pic...we will see what comes of it.  Also note that there is more of a shine from metal parts than on metal which supports that theory.

If it is the same FDE that is on the SRS we will be fine.

Would love to see some pics come out with an MDR next to some other weapons (like a scar) that would give everyone a better idea.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was told by a Desert Tech employee this week that only 10 MDR's have shipped as of this week.  Much lower numbers than I would have expected.  I was expecting 50-150.  I don't have one on order, thankfully for all of this time, however, it is a sweet rifle.

No wonder there aren't more pictures or reviews yet.
View Quote
Given that we've seen several in the hands of new owners and more being shot by shop owners, I think there might have been some miscommunication with the "DT employee".
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#14]
There seem to be some problems with the ones which were shipped:

https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=12184.msg128388#msg128388

Also
https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=12184.msg127776#msg127776

I guess this could be the reason that they're shipping so few of them at the moment
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I like different shades of fde/brown on my rifles, especially anodizing, but that light "sand" color on the MDR is hideous.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I haven't had a chance to take it out to the range yet, but I took it outside to get a picture of it in the sunlight. I also put it next to an AR15 with Magpul FDE furniture for comparison. Mine doesn't have a problem with the mag release sticking like the links above.

Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad these are finally getting out.
I actually like the looks of the FDE model - except for the cheesy CAA grip.  Is there anyway to change that out?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There seem to be some problems with the ones which were shipped:

https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=12184.msg128388#msg128388

Also
https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=12184.msg127776#msg127776

I guess this could be the reason that they're shipping so few of them at the moment
View Quote
Cliffs notes?  Hard to read that format on a small phone screen sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cliffs notes?  Hard to read that format on a small phone screen sometimes.
View Quote
Someone has a sticky mag release and now the sky is falling.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:38:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
DT can do no wrong in your eyes, amiright?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:13:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I believe another person who received their MDR mentioned having a sticky release as well.  I think after they broke it down, cleaned, and lubed it the issue went away..  Maybe that is the case here.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
The first few X95s through my shop (way back when) had the same issue, and nobody gave a damn.  I still think the X95 weak side mag drop sticks sometimes, and is one reason I wasn't solidly convinced to replace my SAR with one of those.  Deal breaking?  No.  Slightly irritating?  Yes.  But I already had a well outfitted bullpup, which weighed into my decision making.

I would say it's a small or non issue, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you are not correct.  

So rather than discuss the issue, you decide to make me the issue.  Real classy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No, you are not correct.  

So rather than discuss the issue, you decide to make me the issue.  Real classy.
View Quote
Kind of hard to have a discussion about an issue when you've already dismissed it out of hand.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Kind of hard to have a discussion about an issue when you've already dismissed it out of hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you are not correct.  

Given the reaction that people have had to every little thing with the MDR, I think my assessment is a valid one.  Looking at the pictures that were posted of the internals of an MDR right out of the box, it is very easy to see how grease (one of the theories) might have gotten into the mag release area and caused it to stick.

So...do you want to discuss the issue or continue to snipe at me?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, DT is at the bottom of my list for businesses.  I still haven't received my refund.

I just got off the phone with DT and after promising to send out my check two weeks ago and then a week later the customer service rep swore he personally sent out the check...  I just got off the phone with them and they apparently didn't have the correct address for me and were just curious if I'd rather have a rifle instead of the refund check.  They mentioned that in would be "at the top of the list of 10 rifles", that it would probably be a black rifle even tho I ordered FEE.  I said no.  Send me the check.  I confirmed the address and reiterated I want my money back after the CS rep said his sales manager wanted him to call and make me the offer.

I really can care less about this rifle at this point these people are either incompetent or shady as hell.  I don't see how offering me a rifle I don't want any more, in a color I didn't want and promising to put me at the top of some list that I don't want to be on is in any way supposed to make up for the way they have conducted themselves.  I had no clue what he meant by 10 rifles until I saw the post on this forum.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if they are only producing 10 a week.  If that's true, I feel bad for you guys still waiting.  

This is unbelievable.  I am so angry with the B.S. that they try to sell me each week.  I hope you guys get your rifles, and are happy with them.  I just want out

FA
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, DT is at the bottom of my list for businesses.  I still haven't received my refund.

I just got off the phone with DT and after promising to send out my check two weeks ago and then a week later the customer service rep swore he personally sent out the check...  I just got off the phone with them and they apparently didn't have the correct address for me and were just curious if I'd rather have a rifle instead of the refund check.  They mentioned that in would be "at the top of the list of 10 rifles", that it would probably be a black rifle even tho I ordered FEE.  I said no.  Send me the check.  I confirmed the address and reiterated I want my money back after the CS rep said his sales manager wanted him to call and make me the offer.

I really can care less about this rifle at this point these people are either incompetent or shady as hell.  I don't see how offering me a rifle I don't want any more, in a color I didn't want and promising to put me at the top of some list that I don't want to be on is in any way supposed to make up for the way they have conducted themselves.  I had no clue what he meant by 10 rifles until I saw the post on this forum.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if they are only producing 10 a week.  If that's true, I feel bad for you guys still waiting.  

This is unbelievable.  I am so angry with the B.S. that they try to sell me each week.  I hope you guys get your rifles, and are happy with them.  I just want out

FA
View Quote
WOW
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#28]
More than a little pissed off right now.

So unless Oakland's preorders are non sequential I'm in the first 10. Haven't received a rifle yet. Preordered around 1/13/14, they sent out an email asking for deposits on 4/30/16, wanting deposits paid by end of May, June, somewhere in there. That's when the original release date was going to be in August, September, whatever. I paid the deposit they wanted that very day. Invoice says $2250.

Today I called and asked for an update. They'd call me in a day or 2 if someone didn't pay for theirs or didn't want it anymore, sound like bs but fine. I've waited this long. I get a call back that they have one more than they thought and that I could pay the balance and ship it tomorrow. Lady wanted to charge me the new map price..... nowhere along the way before the increase did they make it known that they weren't intending on honoring the preorder price when DT, Eurooptic, and maybe others are. At no point did they ask for full payment before the hike to lock in the original price. She said she'd have to talk to the owner tomorrow.

Am I right to be pissed off right now?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So unless Oakland's preorders are non sequential I'm in the first 10. Haven't received a rifle yet. Preordered around 1/13/14, they sent out an email asking for deposits on 4/30/16, wanting deposits paid by end of May, June, somewhere in there. That's when the original release date was going to be in August, September, whatever. I paid the deposit they wanted that very day. Invoice says $2250.

Today I called and asked for an update. They'd call me in a day or 2 if someone didn't pay for theirs or didn't want it anymore, sound like bs but fine. I've waited this long. I get a call back that they have one more than they thought and that I could pay the balance and ship it tomorrow. Lady wanted to charge me the new map price..... nowhere along the way before the increase did they make it known that they weren't intending on honoring the preorder price when DT, Eurooptic, and maybe others are. At no point did they ask for full payment before the hike to lock in the original price. She said she'd have to talk to the owner tomorrow.

View Quote
Double wow
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like some of you guys are having plenty of headaches. I hope they get your refund taken care of quickly - that's simply uncalled for and I don't know I'd have as much patience as you're having, although venting on a platform like this can be cathartic.

I'd be very unhappy about being asked to pay even more than the preorder price. I expect it's an internal misunderstanding and they'll get you taken care of, but keep us informed.

So, let me throw some wood on the fire - what if the reason we haven't been hearing more from new owners is that they are only shipping a handful per week, and of those few, a couple are having issues that require a trip back to DT and they've been asked to keep quiet so the launch doesn't seem even more borked?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
bergermeister would say you are out of line with no reason to be upset, it's part of the process don't you know?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

FA
View All Quotes
Quoted:

FA
What do you mean by this?  Do you want the rifle or not? I'm confused by your post.

Think it over. VIP Spot #1/10 reserved for you if you change your mind. Any color you want as long as it's black.

Quoted:

I guess Oakland Tactical's outrageous prices are redeemed by their exceptional customer service

Not surprising honestly - they're trying to squeeze every last cent out of their pre-orders - they'll likely pay.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Given the reaction that people have had to every little thing with the MDR, I think my assessment is a valid one.  Looking at the pictures that were posted of the internals of an MDR right out of the box, it is very easy to see how grease (one of the theories) might have gotten into the mag release area and caused it to stick.

View Quote
What kind of bizarro land grease makes stuff stick?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Cosmoline?

Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

FA
View Quote
Sent to Nick. Maybe he can get it sorted out.

http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=12234.0
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno...but that was what one owner said was causing his problems.  Don't like it, take it up with him, I'm just repeating the information.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I see 3 different tan colors.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:28:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I haven't had a chance to take it out to the range yet, but I took it outside to get a picture of it in the sunlight. I also put it next to an AR15 with Magpul FDE furniture for comparison. Mine doesn't have a problem with the mag release sticking like the links above.

http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t606/cp9002/IMG_4449_zpsziybx3va.jpg
View Quote
I'm not a fan of FDE, but, your MDR doesn't look half bad. Congratulations! Mine is scheduled to arrive at the end of next month. Just had my FFL dealer e-mail a copy of his FFL to one of their salesmen.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm guessing that he never heard of it or ever bought an AK47 that was brand new. I always hated unpacking a brand new AK47 and having to clean out all of that cosmoline that was packed into the rifle and the magazines.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#41]
My track record overall has ended up fairly negative toward DT, but I'm not seeing the big thing about the FDE. This is just the nature of the anodization process.

My SCAR must have ten different shades, everything from sand to tan to fde to olive drab to chocolate all on one rifle. When I first saw it I was disgusted but now I really like it, and the FDE MDRs I'm seeing look far more uniform.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Been following this for years. Wake me when I can buy a 10" MDR-C off the shelf.

Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#44]
They told me at SHOT 2017 that they will never be releasing a factory SBR. They will only be releasing a kit, so as soon as you get a standard Title I MDR, Form 1 it in anticipation of the SBR kit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:23:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

They told me at SHOT 2017 that they will never be releasing a factory SBR. They will only be releasing a kit, so as soon as you get a standard Title I MDR, Form 1 it in anticipation of the SBR kit.
View Quote
I suspect you can safely delay your form 1...
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeyyyy.  That way you can spend twice the money!  Once for the Title 1 gun then again for the SBR kit.  More $$$$ for DT!
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yeyyyy.  That way you can spend twice the money!  Once for the Title 1 gun then again for the SBR kit.  More $$ for DT!
View Quote
And less paperwork and BS hassle for them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yeyyyy.  That way you can spend twice the money!  Once for the Title 1 gun then again for the SBR kit.  More $$ for DT!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pretty common. Just look at all the different pistols you can buy that have sbr kits. Mp5 clones a plenty, Draco, scorpion evo, galil ace, etc etc.

I have no problem calling it how I see and have harshly criticized DT when I felt it was warranted. Besides the low numbers released I think most complaints post launch are either premature or overblown.

The multiple color thing meh anodizing does that look at the Scar or the FN made m16a4s I carried in the army which were anything from dark purple to black.

The barrel lock breaking. Looks like a sacrificial part that broke because of user error when the owner tried to force an improper barrel lockup. The tavor also has a barrel lock that will break if you try to force things wrong they even sell that whole assembly on their website for 25 to 30$ I forget which. I'd say another non issue. It would be worse for it to allow improper barrel installation that resulted in a kaboom.

Mag release issue. This one may be a issue that requires a fix like the MSAR e4s or it could be packing grease getting stuck in what's likely a scissor mechanism like the x95 and just needs to be cleaned. 2 reported instances one of which the owner said grease worked its way in and he got it working. If it's a systematic issue it will crop up more right now there just aren't enough units out there to tell the severity or lack there or for this issue.

All that being said I understand all the dog piling. One tranwrecks are fun to watch. Two trustworthyness and faith are forms of political capital. For most people DT has spent so much they are not only bankrupt but in debt in that department for reasons that have been listed as nauseum so they have distrust for the MDR as a result. Similar to how much of the population is fed up with the media's anonymous sources. They have to cash in some of their political capital to get people to buy the stories that reference them. When they run them nonstop and many turn out to be utter bullshit they no longer have that capital to claim credibility with.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Still waiting for a comprehensive range report from someone here... not trying to be negative just saying while I wait on mine it would be nice to see what other people think
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Well... I have a tracking number but it is stuck in ups limbo because the hub/distribution center for my area is down because of the storm.
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top