Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 74
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Update.  I'm not sure if this is normal, but DT CS said that they "reshaped" my mag release transfer bar (as a result of binding) and fixed my other concerns on my rifle. Still waiting for it to be shipped back. Does anyone know what they mean by reshaped?
View Quote

In my case when I sent in the MDR, the dove tail magazine retention tab would just slide off the dove tail.  I would assume this is the part they reworked by bending the tab over to get a positive lock onto the magazine release.  They may have also polished and smoothed out the connecting points on the magazine release slide bar and actuation points to make it smoother and easer to operate.  Honestly, I think the magazine release system is one of the worst parts/designs  of the firearm.  There is so many drag points its unreal. In order to push the magazine catch out you wedge a piece of metal between the plastic polymer of the lower receiver and a ramp on the magazine catch. In my case there wasn't much surface area between the polymer receiver and the slide bar that it ended up nicking the polymer and causing the mag release to hang up in the open position.  (Desert tech replaced my lower, unsure if its the new polymer or not)  I really would like to see the magazine release system from the  X95 to compare

Jesse.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I can send you the x95 pics with the mdrx if you want but agreed. The mdrx release is a PiTA to put together as well correctly
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:27:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I can send you the x95 pics with the mdrx if you want but agreed. The mdrx release is a PiTA to put together as well correctly
View Quote

Yeah I would like to see how the X95 magazine release linkage is set up if you don't mind posting some photos.  I am sure I the MDRx and MDR linkage is the same so I don't need any photos of those as I can just look at mine I have here.

Thanks Kwisak
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah I would like to see how the X95 magazine release linkage is set up if you don't mind posting some photos.  I am sure I the MDRx and MDR linkage is the same so I don't need any photos of those as I can just look at mine I have here.

Thanks Kwisak
View Quote

It is the same. Nothing in the MDRX is proprietary. Meaning you can swap conversion kits and parts freely between the two.

They've been done with my warranty for almost two weeks now but they said their shipping peeps are backed up.  I'll let y'all know if I see a difference in mag release once I get it back. It's a shame that such a well thought out concept of a weapon is so hampered by not the design but the quality control. I've had mine for over a month but have never shot it because I sent it right in once I got it.

Does anyone know if you can switch the bolt/ejection to the other side without any extra parts?
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It is the same. Nothing in the MDRX is proprietary. Meaning you can swap conversion kits and parts freely between the two.

They've been done with my warranty for almost two weeks now but they said their shipping peeps are backed up.  I'll let y'all know if I see a difference in mag release once I get it back. It's a shame that such a well thought out concept of a weapon is so hampered by not the design but the quality control. I've had mine for over a month but have never shot it because I sent it right in once I got it.

Does anyone know if you can switch the bolt/ejection to the other side without any extra parts?
View Quote

Yes for both Forward eject and Side eject you can swap the ejection side to right or left hand.   For the forward eject models you just have to swap the side plates.   For the side eject you have to take the screws out of the panels and swap them along with taking the bolt head out and turning it 180 degrees.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes for both Forward eject and Side eject you can swap the ejection side to right or left hand.   For the forward eject models you just have to swap the side plates.   For the side eject you have to take the screws out of the panels and swap them along with taking the bolt head out and turning it 180 degrees.
View Quote

Wow that's insanely easy for forward eject. So just put the right side ejection door on the left side and vice versa? No messing with the bolt?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wow that's insanely easy for forward eject. So just put the right side ejection door on the left side and vice versa? No messing with the bolt?
View Quote

The non-x bolt has no ejectors, only ejection is done with the scissor linkage in the off-side panel.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#8]
So from what I'm reading, the MDR is still a flaming POS?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The non-x bolt has no ejectors, only ejection is done with the scissor linkage in the off-side panel.
View Quote

Bolt does have a ejector, that was on of the fixes was a change in the ejector. The side panels work to push it towards the correct side but the bolt still uses a ejector.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

When it works it works great but seems to still be some QC issues. Mine has had no issues although after taking it all apart I thought I broke the mag release but after a few more tries I got it In, but I think that they need to change the mag release design personally. Seems like a problem to me anyway. Other then that it’s been perfect but people have still had issues.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m taking apart my aug tonight due to the Corvus sale so I should have time to get the x95 apart for those pictures, although I need to find my x95 wrench.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

So from what I've read, if you shoot it your GTG. However most of us who are having issues seem to have them right when we get them. These are things that don't necessarily mean that we can't shoot them. For example, a lot of us have issues with the mag release being hard to press or binding (sometimes). My issue was that in addition to the trigger pack retainer being cracked out of the box.

In terms of accuracy, ejection, going into battery, bolt hold open, light primer strikes, feeding issues, etc - I haven't heard anything. It seems to be the "little" things that are just so easily fixed from just better QC

Edit: I'm referring to the MDRX
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#13]
So out of everyone that’s had problems, how many were 5.56 and 7.62?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So out of everyone that’s had problems, how many were 5.56 and 7.62?
View Quote

Mine was 308. Still waiting on my 5.56 conversion
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Mine was 308. Still waiting on my 5.56 conversion
View Quote

Two More Weeks!!! Sorry...classic response.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Two More Weeks!!! Sorry...classic response.
View Quote

Honestly though. . .they told me that like last week. Not shitting you.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Time to look at a Tavor or MSAR...
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whatever you chose, if you buy it off Gunbroker, do NOT use the instant checkout.  I bought an MDRx from Special Purpose Rifles on May 15 and was told my CC was declined.  After verifying the numbers and trying it again and getting the same result, I checked my account...there was a charge/hold on it for the cost of the rifle.  I've been going round robin with the vendor and my bank for two weeks trying to get it released so I can get what I bought.  SPR says it's a "known issue" with GB checkout.  

Forewarned is forearmed.  Unless someone can light a fire under the ass of the one person who can solve this, I'm going to have to wait until June 15th before it will age off.  Any action I try to force it off has to work through the system...and will take 5-10 business days.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Honestly though. . .they told me that like last week. Not shitting you.
View Quote

Freaking classic DT response...I don't why you all keep spending money with them still...the MDR platform design is awesome...but dang...they still don't have things figured out 3 years into the MDR...
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're gonna hate the trigger if it's an X95. I had to remedy that with the Shootingsight RPS pack + Geissele Lightning Bow.  Even with that setup, I prefer the MDRX trigger as it has a more AR type creep/break/reset.  The Jard Trigger Sear for the MDR makes the trigger about 200% better imo.

I never understood the MDR saying it's 2-stage because the "first" stage is just the pre-travel with like 0.33 lbs of resistance before the trigger engages the trigger bar.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

MSAR? Lol
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

MSAR? Lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MSAR? Lol

Even though I quoted the same thing, I somehow blanked on it mentioning MSAR.  That should be a case study in business management 101.  Great product until they went cheap and things got so bad that they couldn't buy off their customers with cases of freebies.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

do NOT use the instant checkout.  .
View Quote

Already learned that lesson, but thanks for the heads up...
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Even though I quoted the same thing, I somehow blanked on it mentioning MSAR.  That should be a case study in business management 101.  Great product until they went cheap and things got so bad that they couldn't buy off their customers with cases of freebies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MSAR? Lol

The MDR should be a case study for the 201 course

I'd do my dissertation for a PHD in Advanced SNAFUS on the R51, though
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

And it's Barnbwt for the win.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

So much truth...
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Is anyone on here also part of the bullpupforum group buy and hasn't gotten their rifle yet?
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MSAR? Lol

Link Posted: 6/9/2020 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#29]
So they finished my warranty work before 5/21 when the rifle was ready to ship back with a FedEx tracking. I emailed them a couple weeks back and they said there shipping department is backed up.  I emailed them today asking what's going on, being that it has been around 3 weeks.  Obviously 3 weeks is a long time to ship something when you can have FedEx pick it up. Turns out, I sent an email today and according to the warranty guy, and he said there was an "accounting"  error that caused them to not be able to ship. After getting the response same day, they finally sent it out.

I mean 3 weeks is a long time to ship a rifle back that is already done with work. I understand the delay, being that COVID is still about, but 3 weeks?

Had bought the gun like 2 months ago. . .still haven't shot it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So they finished my warranty work before 5/21 when the rifle was ready to ship back with a FedEx tracking. I emailed them a couple weeks back and they said there shipping department is backed up.  I emailed them today asking what's going on, being that it has been around 3 weeks.  Obviously 3 weeks is a long time to ship something when you can have FedEx pick it up. Turns out, I sent an email today and according to the warranty guy, and he said there was an "accounting"  error that caused them to not be able to ship. After getting the response same day, they finally sent it out.

I mean 3 weeks is a long time to ship a rifle back that is already done with work. I understand the delay, being that COVID is still about, but 3 weeks?

Had bought the gun like 2 months ago. . .still haven't shot it.
View Quote

3 MORE WEEKS!!!! These things are the same song and dance with them...shouldn't be surprised...they always have a "problem issue"...or "vendor issue" or "not in spec issue".

Link Posted: 6/10/2020 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

3 MORE WEEKS!!!! These things are the same song and dance with them...shouldn't be surprised...they always have a "problem issue"...or "vendor issue" or "not in spec issue".

View Quote

What I'm confused about is this was simply a warranty issue.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What I'm confused about is this was simply a warranty issue.
View Quote

Concentrating on new sales since they already have his money?
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Concentrating on new sales since they already have his money?
View Quote

I mean I cancelled my 5.56 conversion purchase a few days ago because it was taking too long. I'll buy from a third party whenever they get them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I mean I cancelled my 5.56 conversion purchase a few days ago because it was taking too long. I'll buy from a third party whenever they get them.
View Quote

I don't know...but it seems DT still doing rinse-and-repeat when it comes to quality and service...regardless how many times the door revolves with new people and "new direction".
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't know...but it seems DT still doing rinse-and-repeat when it comes to quality and service...regardless how many times the door revolves with new people and "new direction".
View Quote

The crazy thing is it's not like there's a huge internal flaw like their engineers are terrible or their tooling is flawed. The gripe is not a hard fix with a large price tag.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The crazy thing is it's not like there's a huge internal flaw like their engineers are terrible or their tooling is flawed. The gripe is not a hard fix with a large price tag.
View Quote
The firearms industry is a graveyard of companies that would have succeeded if they had just sucked less.  "IDGAF" is not a recipe for a successful company.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:35:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The firearms industry is a graveyard of companies that would have succeeded if they had just sucked less.  "IDGAF" is not a recipe for a successful company.
View Quote

You're not wrong by any means.

I'll give an example. I ordered the wrong part from V7 Weapons, immediately emailed them late at night and said the correct part but it was $10 less. V7 emailed back the next day and said they would just throw in a shirt if it was okay, but I wanted a titanium grip screw instead (about the same price) + the correct handguard length I ordered. V7 said they would send both.

The interaction was quick, painless, good experience/resolution.  Always been a class act to deal with them.

It's not that hard.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only thing that surprises me is that having found and read this thread you are surprised...
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well...from experience...their issues are internal...they might have a lean six sigma "expert" but he/she is doing a terrible job...or B) he/she is doing a great job identifying the shortcomings but management doesn't allocate resources to mitigate them...

Their spotty quality is a direct reflection of operating a business by the seat-of-the-pants...

I am sorry...but these issues...three years into production...should not exist...
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The only thing that surprises me is that having found and read this thread you are surprised...
View Quote

Perplexed is the right word.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got...  I'd love for DT to straighten up and reliably produce cool firearms, but I gave up holding my breath years ago.  Announcing a "new" beta product in place of the alpha product you sold customers doesn't convince me that you've gone through the necessary stripe-changing to give new results.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2020 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#42]
This thread continues to deliver after all these years. You all know how shyster tire shops continue to stay in business? New customers not knowing of past issues or thinking maybe, just maybe they'll get lucky and not have problems others have experienced. DT is a shyster tire shop that keeps selling MDRs for the same reasons.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 12:22:31 AM EDT
[#43]
I got the MDRX back. Front mag release is still unusable with one/index finger, despite them saying they "reshaped" it. Thumb will pop it out fine.

Never again.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#44]
I'd rather have a Keltec RDB again before buying a MDR...however I think I am done with bullpups for a while.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 1:28:39 AM EDT
[#45]
What’s amazing to me is that my friend bought the Hebraic plastic 2”x6” and I thought about bullpups in a new light.
I stumbled in here considering picking up the MDR

After reading just 4 pages, I bought a brand new steyr aug.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
After reading just 4 pages, I bought a brand new steyr aug.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2020 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#47]

Glad you didn't buy from their website and cancel the order. I asked for them to cancel an order over a week ago and they said it has been refunded and cancelled.  I'm still waiting for my refund.  Their website still says processing.  I'll probably call USAA today because expecting them to actually do what they say is impossible.

Steyr Aug is a good choice. You would have done well with an X95 as well, but Aug has about 150x better trigger right out of the box.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#48]
I don't know why people keep buying from a company with poor quality control and customer service when the styer aug is known for great quality and almost never
needs to have any work done on it.
Don't buy from DT if you know they won't deliver your money's worth.
They should sell the rights to someone else if they can't give the consumer a reliable rifle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#49]
update

I bought a Elcan Specter Dr 1.5-6X for my MDRX

Very nice scope and the MDRX runs flawlessly
No issue at all even with the mag release

Link Posted: 7/9/2020 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I don't know why people keep buying from a company with poor quality control and customer service when the styer aug is known for great quality and almost never
needs to have any work done on it.
Don't buy from DT if you know they won't deliver your money's worth.
They should sell the rights to someone else if they can't give the consumer a reliable rifle.
View Quote

Because they are one of few that actually continue to develop the bull pup and for me I already have a aug,x95, and Tavor. Not really interested in a FS2000 due to parts availability and if a keltec shows up I’ll grab it as well. The aug is a great rifle and I haven’t had many issues with the Tavor although not a judge fan of it. The 95 has had to go back for work after it kept slamming the round into the side of the chamber causing powder to go all over, since it has been fine.  I like bull pups, for the mdrx I  actually use the caliber conversion, have had no issues that weren’t my own that I didn’t fix on my own (took apart the mag release and a PITA to get it back together correctly). I shoot my aug next to the mdrx and hands down the mdrx is a better shooter. The company track record is the only thing that keeps the aug next to my bed. That said no one would buy the rights and build it, that just not in the realm of possibilities. The market is small and the gun is expensive.
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top