Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2013 5:11:38 AM EDT
Anyone else see this real world review on another forum? Shorter isn't nessesarily always better...

I have wanted to write this post for quite some time and am finally just getting around to it. I was very excited last year when I began to see the IWI Tavor make it to the US, I have always been interested in new weapons technology and was excited to get some hands on time with the weapon that has been phasing out the M4/M16 family rifles in service in Israel. Fast forward 1 year, and I currently am carrying the X95 micro Tavor as my issued weapon and never got a chance to even get my hands on the full size counter part in the US before leaving for the middle east but now for the review;

Reliability: 5/10
Comfort and Ergonomics: 2/10
Craftsmanship: 2/10
Accuracy: 6/10
Overal rating: 4/10

Reliability: I have found that GENERALLY for the most part my Tavor will go bang when I need it to. However, it gets really really dirty, really really fast. The design of the bolt carrier group I think is a absolute failure and that there are a lot of areas that seem to accumulate lots of carbon during fairly short range visits and are almost impossible to clean appropriately. I have found that my Tavor with various ammunition is extremely sensitive to fouling and will begin to malfunction very quickly. After about 200 rounds or so I will begin to experience failures multiple times per magazine ranging from double feeds to failure to extract and culminating in short stroking. This is a HUGE negative and something that even with almost daily cleaning has left me skeptical of my weapon. I was unable to take any internal photos at this time but will post some later to highlight the areas I am the most concerned with.

Comfort and Ergonomics: I have found the X95 to be very uncomfortable to carry daily. I eat, sleep, and shower with this weapon and am not very pleased with my sling mounting options, I have to resort to the Israeli method of tying paracord loops through the different holes and mounting points molded into the body. My only real option is a two point sling mounted through the hole in the stock portion of the body and a sling mount on the left side. What bothers me the most about this set up is even with my sling tightened as far down as it will go I find it too long for my liking and it seems that in hands free maneuvers my barrel will no matter what find its way to getting stuck inside my knee pad making it impossible for me to run due to the height it hangs at. The second negative is the sling loop is plastic and I have seem a very large number of them break clean off the weapon after very little abuse. I found the X95 to be rather uncomfortable to shoot in the prone, I really miss having the adjustable stock of an M4 and just can't seem to get comfortable. The extremely short front end leaves no room for your hands and the charging handle will end up in the center of your palm unless you use a palm up supporting position (which the Israelis do teach) but if you are one that is used to a thumb over bore grip or a more aggressive grip you will find the X95 extremely uncomfortable. I also have found that the positioning of the bolt catch on the bottom of the gun to the rear renders it useless in the prone as you essentially have to rest your hand on it causing it to not function. In the standing position the rifle shoulders fine and didn't seem to bother me too much but I will say that in day to day use it is noticeably more heavy than my previous M4 with a similar optic. The last item on my comfort list is the trigger, it is a very heavy and awkward trigger pull leaving much to be desired.

Craftsmanship: I will be brief and just say that I am simply disappointed in the final product from IWI. The back up irons are plastic (depending on variation the rear may be metal) and not only is my front sight snapped clean off (plastic with no kind of metal internal support or strengthening) but the front BUIS also does not seem to lay truly flat with the rail when folded if present. The bottom rail of the hand guard is not very stable and with a vertical grip mounted to it play in the rail and bottom of the weapon are very noticeable.

Accuracy: In zeroing this rifle on a 25m target I was getting sub 1 CM 5 shot groups and have been able to comfortably touch at 300 meters so I will say I was quite surprised with what I was able to achieve with the 13" bbl.

Final thoughts, I really wish I carried an M4 but shall make the best of my time with the X95 and hope to see in the future IWI re think some of their design features and improve this system to better equip the IDF soldiers carrying and working with it daily.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 5:32:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Pics. This thread is useless without pics.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 6:19:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pics. This thread is useless without pics.
View Quote

x2.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 6:35:36 AM EDT
[#3]
**An update, I am no longer carrying this particular rifle and have been issued a slightly different variation that is actually worse and will be including photos and an updated review on this new model soon...

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/3356/us0m.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img706/6882/lfj9.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img21/7975/rht1.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img849/556/i296.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img849/3826/cusy.jpg
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the write up.

I'm interested in seeing the internals of an X95. Please post pictures of the hammerpack and carrier.
Also please take some pictures pointing out the carbon gunk buildup that you mentioned.

As you're the only person presently who has access to an X95, you will understand why detailed pi tures are important.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Lest anyone else be confused let me reiterate that this is not my review and was a post pick-up from another forum...

This was an account of real in-field everyday problems that I'm sure will be addressed in due time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lest anyone else be confused let me reiterate that this is not my review and was a post pick-up from another forum...

This was an account of real in-field everyday problems that I'm sure will be addressed in due time.
View Quote

How about a link so we can follow it on our own?
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Google the subject you'll find the link
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

You'll notice that in the box that you type responses in, underneath is a button that looks like this:

Using that will let you apply a quote.

Then you can use this:

Which will let you paste a hotlink to where your source info is.

Welcome to arfcom.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Google the subject you'll find the link
View Quote

Can't do any work on the Sabbath

ETA: Here's the link, left cold since I don't know what the hotlinking climate is between Arfcom and M4C.  http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1757296
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Original thread, hopefully OK by arfcom rules..
Micro-Tavor review by IDF soldier
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Original thread, hopefully OK by arfcom rules..

Micro-Tavor review by IDF soldier
View Quote

Good grief.  Such drama!

Thanks for the link rtpguy.

Link Posted: 9/28/2013 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the write up.

I'm interested in seeing the internals of an X95. Please post pictures of the hammerpack and carrier.
Also please take some pictures pointing out the carbon gunk buildup that you mentioned.

As you're the only person presently who has access to an X95, you will understand why detailed pi tures are important.

Thanks!
View Quote

Hammerpack and carrier are exactly the same in the tavor and the x95.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#14]
1.5 MOA , and that's only a 6/10 for accuracy?
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Accuracy: In zeroing this rifle on a 25m target I was getting sub 1 CM 5 shot groups and have been able to comfortably touch at 300 meters so I will say I was quite surprised with what I was able to achieve with the 13" bbl.

Accuracy: 6/10
View Quote

By conversion 1 (One) centimeter is = .3937 inches

So zeroing at 25m
*13 inch barrel
*.from a bull-pup rifle/infantry issue
* heavy  "awkward" trigger...
* getting "sub 1 cm" groups....
* can comfortably touch targets at 300 meters
.........................and it rates only a 6??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top