Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 8:20:01 AM EDT
I've always been a fan of the bullpup concept - all the advantages of which we need not go into in detail here, but I just love the thought 20" barrel power in a 16" barrel sized package (or smaller).  

But I've never seriously considered buying one - because every time you read a detail review on one, there's always 1 sentence in the 2 page article that mentions the trigger basically isn't very good.  That never sat well with me for a $3000 rifle package.  Indeed, I drop 2-stage triggers into all my AR's, because I don't even like the stock AR trigger.  And everything I hear about bullpup triggers is they're not even nearly as good as a stock AR trigger.

But now Bullpup prices have fallen to the level of sanity.  So my question is - how bad is it really?  And more importantly, is it correctable?  Are there aftermarket kits to make a nice crisp 2-stage trigger for an AUG based rifle?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#1]
neu-trigger is the way to go, there is a thread on it right on the first page of bullpup forum.

The trigger can be anything from good to pretty stiff.  Some polishing the contact points can help.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Having served in the Army and shooting issued M16's and M4's, I would say the trigger is not that bad.  It's not match grade, of course, but it's good enough for what it is.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you pulled the trigger on an RFB yet?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:37:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I don't mind the msar trigger, but I have to say I am very impressed with my brother in laws RFB's trigger.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#5]
My E4 trigger wasn't bad out of the box...no 2-stage NM AR trigger but less gritty (but more heavy) than a stock AR.  Since I put the NeuTrigger on, I'd say it is somewhat smoother (but the base was pretty good) and at least feels lighter.  Sort of like a good double action revolver trigger...still fairly heavy but very smoother.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot a lot here in Idaho from 1k to 1.5K yards and can really appreciate a good trigger.  But in a combat arm they are like 20th on the list of things for me.  

I pulled the match triggers from every AR I own and have a box of them sitting there because at one point I thought a match trigger mattered on a fighting rifle.  The trigger quality within reason doesn't matter much at all.  Look at Glocks vs 1911s in a combat situation, they both get the job done.  

Grab your gun throw all your kit on and run 200 yards then drop into a field expediant firing position and tell me if the match trigger mattered at all.

I have an MSAR with a NUE trigger and I can drive the gun just fine.  

On a precision rifle you are talking a totally different animal.

So to sum up, buy the rifle with a NUE trigger and rock it.  You will love it.  Sell the match triggers in your ARs if they are fighting rifles and use the money to defray the cost of the new gun.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#7]
The triggers are not so bad that I wouldn't buy a bullpup.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:17:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't mind the msar trigger, but I have to say I am very impressed with my brother in laws RFB's trigger.

I like mine as well, but it does take a little getting used to after shooting my .308 AR with a 3# Timney for any length of time...

It's better than any stock AR trigger i've had, but has more takeup than the Timney, but then i didn't buy the RFB as a bench gun...

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#9]
You know the bullpup trigger pull is the most over-used and over-played critical statement.  It's like a given that everyone in every article is going to mention it, because everyone else in every article mentions it.  The truth is though that they're not that bad and unless you're looking for a bench rest rifle not a big deal.  

I mean for a combat rifle/home defense/patrol rifle you don't want some crazy light zero travel "hair trigger" anyways.  I've seen maybe a half dozen or so guys who have dropped in NM triggers into their AR and end up with issues.  Travis Haley of Magpul Dynamics and Larry Vickers both have in hte past cautioned against going crazy with the triggers upgrades.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You know the bullpup trigger pull is the most over-used and over-played critical statement.  It's like a given that everyone in every article is going to mention it, because everyone else in every article mentions it.  The truth is though that they're not that bad and unless you're looking for a bench rest rifle not a big deal.  

I mean for a combat rifle/home defense/patrol rifle you don't want some crazy light zero travel "hair trigger" anyways.  I've seen maybe a half dozen or so guys who have dropped in NM triggers into their AR and end up with issues.  Travis Haley of Magpul Dynamics and Larry Vickers both have in hte past cautioned against going crazy with the triggers upgrades.
I will say that the absolute WORST trigger i have ever felt on any normally functioning firearm was in an original full-auto AUG...

May have been a maintenance issue or something, but getting that thing to full stroke (FA) almost gave me cramps after a few mags, and i don't have weak hands...

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't disagree with anything said but the problem is that with almost any other rifle....you can do something about it if you're not happy. With bullpups you're just very limited in your options to improve the stock feel.
FWIW I've gotten used to the bullpup triggers and the neutrigger made a noticeable improvement on my rifles.

In any event, the trigger definitely wouldn't even be in the top ten deciding factors in whether to buy one or not unless you're a precision target shooter.

I own three and barely shoot my AR's anymore.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Think of it this way, you get a compact and ergonomically comfortable gun with a full length barrel that's shorter than most AR's with a short barrel.

But they have better triggers.

Big deal.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Can someone post the link that shows you how to polish the trigger on the MSAR's I cannot seem to relocate it via Google.

TIA
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#14]
There was a good thread with a PDF (IIRC) that explained how and what to polish, but alas it seems to have dropped off the forum. I looked through all 13 pages for the thread, but I didn't see it. Maybe someone here can post it again. Probably your best bet would be to purchase a neu-trigger. They are only 25$ and they are said to make the trigger pull much lighter and smoother. I bought one, but have yet to try it out on mine, but many have said that it is a vast improvement in the trigger and the best part is that you don't modify your trigger pack. So in the event you needed to sell, or whatever you can easily remove the mod and it is back to factory. Listen to me go on, you'd think I was the neu-trigger guy the way I am promoting this thing-maybe drcoffee should send some advertising money my way. J/K-Seriously, if you read the thread ""Neu-trigger: Worth it?"" you can see what others think of it.
Mav
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#15]
How soon I have been forgotten.  Who's this DAWG person anyway?  Here is the link to the fix up instructions but it won't get you too far without that thingy mentioned above.

drcoffee

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There was a good thread with a PDF (IIRC) that explained how and what to polish, but alas it seems to have dropped off the forum. I looked through all 13 pages for the thread, but I didn't see it. Maybe someone here can post it again. Probably your best bet would be to purchase a neu-trigger. They are only 25$ and they are said to make the trigger pull much lighter and smoother. I bought one, but have yet to try it out on mine, but many have said that it is a vast improvement in the trigger and the best part is that you don't modify your trigger pack. So in the event you needed to sell, or whatever you can easily remove the mod and it is back to factory. Listen to me go on, you'd think I was the neu-trigger guy the way I am promoting this thing-maybe dawg should send some advertising money my way. J/K-Seriously, if you read the thread ""Neu-trigger: Worth it?"" you can see what others think of it.
Mav

This one? I searched the archives for it.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=43&t=312719

drcoffee, beat me to it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How soon I have been forgotten.  Who's this DAWG person anyway?  

Opps..I meant you, but my brain was doing something else...My bad-sorry DR C-you have not been forgotten here. FWIW- I've worked 12 hr shifts the past 3 days in a row and am currently only going on 3 and 1/2 hrs sleep! Pls forgive...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top