Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/18/2010 11:27:32 PM EDT
I seem to recall there was a problem with the factory E4 mags they shipped with right? Are all E4s shipping with PMags now?

What problems were people having with the E4 mags? I seem to recall that some people sent their E4 mags in for PMags in return.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:19:52 AM EDT
I don't understand why MSAR would even bother making proprietary magazines. Just ship Pmags or equivalent.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:27:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Castillo:
I don't understand why MSAR would even bother making proprietary magazines. Just ship Pmags or equivalent.

Cash cow market if you can get the design right and get good press on it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:07:49 AM EDT
They are still making the XM-30s and will likely have them out (probably first to those who need replacements) sometime in mid to late September.

PMags are good but they're not the be-all, end-all of AR mags. Other designs have come out since then that are as good or better - Magpul was just the right product at the right time and without it they wouldn't have the massive rep (and ego) that they do now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 11:52:41 PM EDT
so the E4 mags that came with my rifle good to go?
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 3:37:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By boywonder777:

Only way to know for sure is to test them. I bought 7 of them when they first came out and they've been good to go. Other people had problems. No way to tell short of using them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 1:22:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By joedirt1977:
Originally Posted By boywonder777:

Only way to know for sure is to test them. I bought 7 of them when they first came out and they've been good to go. Other people had problems. No way to tell short of using them.

ok what kind of problems were people having?
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 1:29:28 PM EDT
I have no idea. I asked in another thread but never got an answer. Some folks had a bad mag and left a bunch of the others in plastic, assumed they were defective too, and sent them back. I was curious about the issue too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 4:07:49 PM EDT
The mag wouldn't reliably feed rounds. You could thumb out a round and the follower wouldn't move. You could thumb out the next round and the round after that. Then you could dump the mag upside down and they'd all spill out. Sometimes the follower would move, sometimes not.

I tested all 55 of mine...none of them worked to the point where I'd even think about training with them let alone risking my life to them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:23:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By kfeltenberger:
The mag wouldn't reliably feed rounds. You could thumb out a round and the follower wouldn't move. You could thumb out the next round and the round after that. Then you could dump the mag upside down and they'd all spill out. Sometimes the follower would move, sometimes not.

I tested all 55 of mine...none of them worked to the point where I'd even think about training with them let alone risking my life to them.

cool that sounds like a good test. so just load them up and manually eject the rounds and see if the follower keeps up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:42:49 AM EDT
So does anyone know how to go about getting them replaced..??

I bought a couple of these things, and they are doing exactly what kfeltenberger said.. Wrote their customer service an email asking about it, this is the entire response I received:
Replacement being made – may be ready end of September.

I asked what I should do in order to get them replaced when the new mags are available, but so far, no response. (been a week)

Has anyone had better luck getting more details..??

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:33:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By balki:
So does anyone know how to go about getting them replaced..??

I bought a couple of these things, and they are doing exactly what kfeltenberger said.. Wrote their customer service an email asking about it, this is the entire response I received:
Replacement being made – may be ready end of September.

I asked what I should do in order to get them replaced when the new mags are available, but so far, no response. (been a week)

Has anyone had better luck getting more details..??

Call Paul at MSAR (the number's on the website, ext. 14, IIRC). Tell him what's up and ask for an RMA and he should be able to have you return the mags for the 2 for 1 exchange when the new mags come out later this month. I'll go from 55 to 110 mags...I think that will earn me my "Mag Whore" merit badge.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:36:03 AM EDT
Aren't they first going to try replacing the followers first, if they function fine with a new follower they will be sent back that way. If they still have problems with the new follower they will replace it with two new magazines. Without finding their old post, that is how I remember it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:32:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By brazos609:
Aren't they first going to try replacing the followers first, if they function fine with a new follower they will be sent back that way. If they still have problems with the new follower they will replace it with two new magazines. Without finding their old post, that is how I remember it.

When I spoke to Paul in mid August he mentioned that they had to go with new bodies as well. If I'm going to have to test 110 mags just to make sure the followers don't stick, I'm going to be more than a little irked. If that's the case, rather than XM-30s I'll take STG mags and sell my E4 stock.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:45:13 AM EDT
that's all the info i got when i sent my stock back and i asked about the mag replacement.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:12:04 PM EDT
I'll go from 55 to 110 mags...I think that will earn me my "Mag Whore" merit badge.

I think you found out about a "Mag Whore" glitch on youtube.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:22:08 PM EDT
...Odd. all 35 of mine function great...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:48:17 PM EDT
They are still making the XM-30s and will likely have them out (probably first to those who need replacements) sometime in mid to late September.

PMags are good but they're not the be-all, end-all of AR mags. Other designs have come out since then that are as good or better - Magpul was just the right product at the right time and without it they wouldn't have the massive rep (and ego) that they do now.

What mags do you have in mind that you consider better?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:10:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BOBno1:

Yes, if you had 110 magpul's you wouldn't be in such a bind (of "hope") and thinking of trading stocks. There's no "ego" in selling mags that work at a good price. Even their first batch of .308 mags where cheap when people would have paid $40 for them.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:31:21 AM EDT

The Lancer L5 and L5A series.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:32:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Rocker:

Yes, if you had 110 magpul's you wouldn't be in such a bind (of "hope") and thinking of trading stocks. There's no "ego" in selling mags that work at a good price. Even their first batch of .308 mags where cheap when people would have paid $40 for them.

Like I've said before, I want to live my life as Magpul free as I can. I'll go with Lancers or even basic USGI mags first.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:20:54 PM EDT
Like others said, I too had issues with the followers not working properly in some of my e4 mags. I am looking forward to MSAR replacing them soon. In the meantime, like others have suggested, the magpuls work good. I haven't tried the lancers that
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:22:12 PM EDT
Like others said, I too had issues with the followers not working properly in some of my e4 mags. I am looking forward to MSAR replacing them soon. In the meantime, like others have suggested, the magpuls work good. I haven't tried the lancers that Kurt suggested. I also have one Stoner AR mag that works okay. I only got it because midway had a clearance sale on them at the time. Figured why not.
Top Top