I'm thinking 124 for carry. Need to get some other bullets while I'm there too
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now the big decision...115 or 124?

View Quote

Only way to know is for someone to do some quality gel testing and compare the 2.

I have the 124gr on hand, but no gel
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Now the big decision...115 or 124?

View Quote

Might as well shoot the same bullet you want to use to save your life?

They are so close in price to not matter as these bullets are a bargain.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#5]
If any of y'all can shoot these over a chronograph from a short barrel to handgun I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If any of y'all can shoot these over a chronograph from a short barrel to handgun I would appreciate it.
View Quote

With what load?
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

With what load?
View Quote
load up whatever you want and post some data. Personally I'm using HP38 and W244

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:12:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Aww man, no .355 options with the smiley face on the tip of the bullet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Ordered some HS-6 with these bullets in mind
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Picked up 500 124s to try out, they will be here tomorrow.  Probably going to try out Blue Dot first, are people using load data for XTPs or GDHP?  Also where is your OAL landing?  Guess I'll find out this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:45:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Isn't it strange that the bullets we might use for self defense are the ones we probably use the least.  

You develop a load.  Prove it is reliable in your handgun.  Load up a bunch and put them away, hopefully never to be seen again.  

That I ordered 1,000 might mean some actual use and training with them, especially given the reasonable cost.

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Isn't it strange that the bullets we might use for self defense are the ones we probably use the least.  

You develop a load.  Prove it is reliable in your handgun.  Load up a bunch and put them away, hopefully never to be seen again.  

That I ordered 1,000 might mean some actual use and training with them, especially given the reasonable cost.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, now I want to shoot up my remaining factory ammo so I can reload the brass into these bullets.

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Curious to hear feedback how loads and oal compare to 124gr gold dots.
I haven't had a chance to load my newest batch of these rmr nukes yet,  but hoping the data is the same or similar to my gd loads.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#15]
What barrel length are y'all referring to as a short barreled pistol?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote
I think full size is generally considered 5", compact 4", and subcompact 3"

For me I'm asking about 3". Like a Glock 26 or Shield size. Something the average person carries.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yep, now I want to shoot up my remaining factory ammo so I can reload the brass into these bullets.
View Quote

I have a supply of virgin brass for use with self defense loads.  It is nickel-plated.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 12:48:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

My 9mm has a 3.5" barrel.  I will be developing a load for the 115 gr NUKE bullet using W231 powder.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 6:11:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Got my 124s in last week. I was using the MPR under a load of cfe pistol. I really like that the lead doesn't protrude from the nose any more, should keep the seating die cleaner and oal more consistent.

I'm going to load up a few this week and see how they do. I know with my other mpr load I'm running 1200fps. I'll probably try to match my fed HST carry loads as usual so I have a close recoil impulse.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#21]
A K of the 124gr arrived at my doorsteps Thursday.

I've loaded the MHP's 124gr to 1168 fps at 1.075 COAL

Should be easy to achieve the recommended expansion velocities.

Maybe next week I load a batch and chrono
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Did a plunk test with the 124's in my CZ75. Max COL for that gun is 1.085"  
The earlier MPR version had a max COL in the same gun of 1.11"

Hope to load a few up this week .
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Not a real test, but something to give some idea of performance until someone does a serious test.

Loaded a few 124's with BE-86 at a little below Alliant's listed max (since I'm loading them shorter for my CZ).

In CZ75 compact 3.75" barrel had a velocity of 1135
In Sig P365 3.1" barrel had a velocity of 1075.
Shot into water jugs (actually empty plastic cat litter jugs) from ten feet with the Sig P365: Penetration about ten inches. Jacket completely separated from lead core. Lead core expanded in three petals to .61"  Final weight of core plus jacket was 120 grains.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not a real test, but something to give some idea of performance until someone does a serious test.

Loaded a few 124's with BE-86 at a little below Alliant's listed max (since I'm loading them shorter for my CZ).

In CZ75 compact 3.75" barrel had a velocity of 1135
In Sig P365 3.1" barrel had a velocity of 1075.
Shot into water jugs (actually empty plastic cat litter jugs) from ten feet with the Sig P365: Penetration about ten inches. Jacket completely separated from lead core. Lead core expanded in three petals to .61"  Final weight of core plus jacket was 120 grains.
View Quote

An M&P Shield has a 3.1" barrel, and shooting Federal standard pressure 124 HST from my Shield I saw an average velocity of 1097 FPS.  So I would guess your BE-86 load is a pretty good approximation of 124 HST.

I should probably get some of these new RMR JHPs.  I had just ordered a resupply of the older MPR design just a few months before the NUKE was announced.  So I have a couple thousand of those in my stockpile.  Bad timing on my part.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I should probably get some of these new RMR JHPs.  I had just ordered a resupply of the older MPR design just a few months before the NUKE was announced.  So I have a couple thousand of those in my stockpile.  Bad timing on my part.
View Quote

Sell what you have.  Buy what you want.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I loaded 20 of the 124 gr bullets up with 6.6grs of HS6.

Loaded them to 1.090"

Ill give them a shot this weekend
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Made a few dummies to check oal, and plunkability.  MP and SIG took just about any length, I have a p80 G43 which I got these for.   I could get it to plunk but it wouldn't come out easily.  Pretty sure I ended up at 1.055.   I loaded up a couple and I'll go light them off next week.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I have the 115 gr NUKE not the 125's.  

I'm checking the bullet profile and I ended up fairly short (~1.070" OAL).  It "looks" okay.  You know how when something looks okay, it probably is.  Is it okay?

I don't think loading longer is in the cards due to how little of the bullet is inside the case (approximately 0.16" inside the case).  Look closely, you'll see it ends before the midway point between the case mouth and the knurling.

I could load it a little shorter to get more bullet in the case (maybe as low as 1.020" OAL).  

Much shorter than that and the bullet diameter starts to taper down as the ogive begins.  THAT sounds bad.

I checked the Sierra Manual.  For 115 gr bullets,  their JHP was loaded to 1.050" and the FMJ bullet was loaded to 1.100".

Any thoughts on OAL for the 115gr bullet?

Taper crimp will be added after I select an OAL.

The factory round is a 135 gr Federal Hydra-Shock.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#30]
The rule of thumb is to try to get one diameter of the bullet inside the case.  Plus or minus, YMMV, etc.

If you seat the bullet deeply enough that it won’t be dislodged by recoil, yet you’re not quite at “one diameter” inside the case, that’s probably not a big deal.

I typically look at manuals’ LOA recommendations for bullets of the same weight and with as close as possible to the same profile.  With hollow point bullets, that gets to be kind of tricky, since a really deep hollow point will give you a longer bullet for the same weight…

Has RMR chimed in on this?  They say they’ve used these bullets extensively…

Sidebar: is RMR a member here?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have the 115 gr NUKE not the 125's.  

I'm checking the bullet profile and I ended up fairly short (~1.070" OAL).  It "looks" okay.  You know how when something looks okay, it probably is.  Is it okay?

I don't think loading longer is in the cards due to how little of the bullet is inside the case (approximately 0.16" inside the case).  Look closely, you'll see it ends before the midway point between the case mouth and the knurling.

I could load it a little shorter to get more bullet in the case (maybe as low as 1.020" OAL).  

Much shorter than that and the bullet diameter starts to taper down as the ogive begins.  THAT sounds bad.

I checked the Sierra Manual.  It says their 115 gr FMJ bullet was loaded to 1.100".

Any thoughts on OAL for the 115gr bullet?

https://i.ibb.co/4787V9R/115-RMR.jpg

Taper crimp will be added after I select an OAL.

The factory round is a 125 gr Federal Hydra-Shock.
View Quote
I shoot 115gr RMR at 1.11" OAL and they run fine
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:   The rule of thumb is to try to get one diameter of the bullet inside the case.  Plus or minus, YMMV, etc.
View Quote

Understood.  That's why I asked.  I am nowhere near 1 diameter inside the case, more likely 1/2 diameter.

I may load some at 1.050" and 1.075" OAL, then shoot and see.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Wouldn't the depth rule be more important in revolvers and really important in the Bond Arms/Boberg?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#34]
From Hogster98 on rmrs forum:

"I went out and did some shooting and reloading the last couple of weekends to try and get some data on the new RMR Nukes with CFE Pistol powder ( I bought several pounds during the great powder/primer shortage of 2020-2022):
Pistol: P365
Bullet: RMR Nuke 115gr.
Powder: CFE Pistol
Brass: Mixed
Primer: WSP (Winchester Small Pistol)
OAL: 1.085 1.090 1.093 1.150
Grain: 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.7
Average fps: 1111 1068 1069 1043
Dillon 550 B Press
The reason for the OAL differences is that I wanted to see if there were any feeding issues in the P365, and I had no issues with any charges or lengths within this range. I did some 5.8 gr charges at 1.085 OAL and some shots went up to 1135fps and that seems a little too hot. Oddly, if the OAL was 1.093, the 5.8gr fps rose to 1069."
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Very good, thank you.  You are at least a week ahead of me in getting the testing done.

As a prelude to loading for testing, I was thinking of manually cycling some inert cartridges to ensure they feed from the magazine into the chamber.

I was also planning on going the other direction on OAL - shorter, like 1.050" per the Sierra manual.

I need to check on various reloading guides for OAL.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:59:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#37]
I asked RMR about this.

Me: Any insight on how deep to seat these bullets (both the 115gr and 124gr)? You indicate on the product page that these are an outgrowth of your MPR bullets, and cite some very impressive penetration data. Can you share your preferred loads with these bullets?

RMR: That’s gonna depend on your gun. My guns like 1.12” but there’s lots of guns that don’t allow that long. Newer glocks and CZs sometimes only let you get to 1.06”

Me: Mind if I share this on the AR15.com reloading forum?

RMR: That’s fine. There’s just so much variance in chambers that what works for some won’t work well for others. Handloaders shouldn’t be stuck with just the minimum OAL for every gun. I like mine loaded out pretty long but with all the new short chambered guns my loads won’t work.

What I get out of this is that the LOA you load should work with your gun, period.  That presupposes you work the load up so that your gun doesn’t blow up because you had to load kinda short to feed your CZ..
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#38]
What is LOA?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What is LOA?
View Quote

OAL.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#40]
I’ve found the the Apex barrel I have in my M&P has the shortest throat out of my 9mm guns, so all reloads have to fit it. I’ve also determined that the best accuracy in the M&P is for the loads to be .003”-.005” off the lands (max plunk). The rest of my guns seem to like what the M&P likes, so it works out!

The older 124 MPR, the 124 Match winner and the 147 match winner are all loaded to 1.080” for my guns.

ZA
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Man glad I clicked this thread.

Ordered 2k last night.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:36:54 AM EDT
[#42]
I haven't loaded pistol rounds in a long time.  I'd forgotten the feel of it.  That I'm using nickel plated brass made it just that much more strange.  It was harder than I remember, so I ran some brass cases thru for comparison.  Nickel plated was more difficult.

I loaded up 10 rounds each at 4.5, 4.8 and 5.1 gr of W231, all with Winchester SP primers and all at 1.050" OAL and using a taper crimp.  Remember, mine are the 115 gr variety.  They look just fine.  

I'm interested to test but have to wait a while (weeks) to get out to the range.  I'm primarily interested in reliability, reliability, reliability but will also get POI, group sizes and chrono data.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 2:37:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Question from someone who has never reloaded...

I have zero knowledge about reloading, obviously.

@viralinsurgency

Your question is way off topic in this thread, please start your own thread and ask your question.

To other posters, don't answer this question as it's off topic and we stay on topic in this forum. dryflash3

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:42:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Question from someone who has never reloaded...

View Quote

Sorry I'm not going to allow off topic posts or replies.  dryflash3

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Getting back on topic - sorry for contributing to the derail - has anyone developed any loads for the OLD “MPR” bullets and seen how that data works with the Nuke bullets?  

Since the weights are the same, and (apparently) the bearing length of the Nuke bullets seems pretty darn close to the MPRs, I’m curious to learn if you get different velocities with the newer bullet design.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Getting back on topic - sorry for contributing to the derail - has anyone developed any loads for the OLD “MPR” bullets and seen how that data works with the Nuke bullets?  

Since the weights are the same, and (apparently) the bearing length of the Nuke bullets seems pretty darn close to the MPRs, I’m curious to learn if you get different velocities with the newer bullet design.
View Quote

I loaded mine to similar OAL and powder charges as the MPR.

I did lower powder charges just to make sure.

Accuracy was not there so I will probably have to move the COL in even more.

1.07” and 5.1gr CFE pistol was great out of the 124gr MPR  it I might have to move in to 1.06”

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#49]
How do you guys accuracy test your pistol rounds?

Benched?  Sand bagged?  Offhand (bullseye style)?

What distance?  What target?

I'll be doing that with these loads soon.  It might be nice to have a common method so we can compare group sizes.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:58:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How do you guys accuracy test your pistol rounds?

Benched?  Sand bagged?  Offhand (bullseye style)?

What distance?  What target?

I'll be doing that with these loads soon.  It might be nice to have a common method so we can compare group sizes.
View Quote

I do 10 yards sometimes 15.on a front rest.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top