Link Posted: 5/19/2022 6:13:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:
Out
Fricking
Standing
View Quote
Thanks, @strikefirst. Given that you were the one who tagged @palmettostatearmory into the thread, I'm glad the conclusion lived up to your expectations.

Here's a couple of shots of Chad's reloading setup. That's a Hornady Iron press there. That really is a neat press.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And a shot downrange:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:56:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Awesome!

I’ve spent a ton of time on that range.

Can’t wait to see the 77gr BTHPs that were mentioned; I’ll definitely be snagging some to test against my current go-to load and see how they do.  Not sure how they’ll be priced but even a solid 1MOA bullet that’s less than a match king will be hard to pass up for <600yd shooting
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Landshark9025:
Thanks, @strikefirst. Given that you were the one who tagged @palmettostatearmory into the thread, I'm glad the conclusion lived up to your expectations.

Here's a couple of shots of Chad's reloading setup. That's a Hornady Iron press there. That really is a neat press.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/365808/IMG_0323_jpeg-2389150.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/365808/IMG_0320_jpeg-2389151.JPG

And a shot downrange:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/365808/IMG_0316_jpeg-2389152.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:
Out
Fricking
Standing

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/365808/IMG_0323_jpeg-2389150.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/365808/IMG_0320_jpeg-2389151.JPG

And a shot downrange:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/365808/IMG_0316_jpeg-2389152.JPG

I am more pumped about your experience and what we learned about PSA as a whole.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I was debating between VN and AAC 55gr projectiles.

I came across this thread, and was very confident on VN. Right as I began to stop, I saw PSA's post and the update from the OP.

I will buy a $199 case of 2k AACs and ammo can and hopefully report back if I remember this thread. I hope their bases are in good shape but if not I feel confident PSA will take care of it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 6:56:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone purchased some of these bullets to see that the ones being shipped are arriving in the same condition as the ones pulled off the PSA assembly line?
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I have some "in process" and have cases primed and ready. But shipping is a bit slow these days so I don't have a tracking number.

I thought it only fair I get some "random packaged ones" and update.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Excellent idea, and only fair way to test.
View All Quotes
I have some "in process" and have cases primed and ready. But shipping is a bit slow these days so I don't have a tracking number.

I thought it only fair I get some "random packaged ones" and update.
Excellent idea, and only fair way to test.

Excellent idea! I happened ton look today and read a review and some said that basically the early batches sucked but they are now a great pill.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice pictures
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:40:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Landshark9025] [#12]
The new ones arrived yesterday. So last night I ripped open one of the pouches, grabbed a fistful and lined 25 of them up on the stove like I did the first batch:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

As you can see, these are as straight as straight can be. In the second photo it looks like there's a "wave" in the middle, but that is due to shadowing. I looked at them hard when they were on the stove.

So then I weighed the same 25 of them on my 5-0-5 scale:
Attachment Attached File

That's quite consistent.

I measured them with a ($20, Hornady) digital caliper. Across the 25:
  • Average length: .778
  • ES: .0035
  • SD: .0010
Then, using a Hornady bullet comparator, I measured from base to ogive:
  • Average: .420
  • ES: .0020
  • SD: .0005
I'd say that's pretty darn consistent (+/- .001 across 25 random samples) and within the margin of "float" on my caliper and my ability to measure consistently across the 25 samples. The base to ogive was interesting as it came up as:
  • .419 - two samples
  • .4195 - three samples
  • .420 - twelve samples
  • .4205 - six samples
  • .421 - two samples
So, roughly 80% were +/- .0005.

What do all these numbers mean? I dunno, you guys tell me. But I'm praying it doesn't rain on Saturday. All things being equal, I'll be loading ammo tonight.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Okay, I ordered 500.  I had a gift card to PSA, so 500 of these plus an ammo can cost me a touch under $10 shipped.  I'll give 500 of these a try over some H335.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#14]
OK, gents. Put a pin in it. It's safe to say we're solid in the 1.25-1.5" group range with these. Some "hand thrown, but not individually weighed" produced consistent groups in the hot Florida sun. I think H-335 is supposed to be pretty temp stable, but I am not.

Now we're talking. (Ignore the sharpie note at the top. I recycle targets because I'm cheap. This one has a 4" overlay PLUS the black dots.). Little bit of vertical stringing maybe? Either way, about on par with what we got in NC.
Attachment Attached File

Wonder what the bottom four would have been without the choke?
Attachment Attached File

Bonus points if you can figure out which shot was #5 and what was said after it.
Attachment Attached File

So, what have we learned through this saga?
  1. AAC 55g FMJ WILL WORK for MY application. Hence there's a bunch of them in the reloading room now.
  2. These results have been duplicated by @rattlecanAR and others. So, that's likely what we can expect.
  3. Not sure what happened with that early run, but even those were about on par with bulk American Eagle as others pointed out in this thread. So, take that for what it's worth.
  4. I seem to be capable of BRILLIANT four shot groups.
So, I'm willing to say they have the potential for MOA or maybe even sub MOA with the right gun, load and trigger puller. With a decent rifle and good loading, you should be able to count on 1.25" +/- .25" for five shots at 100 yards. Which is dang good for 55g FMJ! These will be my "go-to" 55g bullets moving forward.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. If you have any other bright ideas, let me know.

Now, to keep hitting the "refresh" button waiting for the 77g OTMs to come out so we can start this all over. @palmettostatearmory : That jug of TAC and those Remington 7 1/2s I've been saving aren't going to burn themselves! I may even buy some virgin Starline or other brass for those just to make it more fun(especially as 1x LC brass seems to be unobtainium these days). And yeah, the guy that recycles targets three or four times is talking about buying virgin 223 brass.

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree, FMJ bullets that shoot pretty well.  

They aren't match bullets and we shouldn't expect them to shoot like match bullets.  They will do well for my needs.

I would love to see if @molon would test various FMJ bullets and see what an expert gets with them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Here’s a sample of the 500 I recently received:

Attachment Attached File

These bullets arrived extremely well packed/padded.  They look good to me.  I just loaded some to test over H335.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Somewhat off topic, but I love that I cost someone else money for a change. :)

@aeroengineer - can't wait to see what you find. I'm still trying to get over how much I agonized over trying to find Varget or 8208 for the last several years when for 55g H-335 seems a better option. Certainly as good.

@dryflash3 - thx for the comment, unfortunately, I think that "bearing down and concentrating" is what throws me. I think too much. There is a line between "concentrating" and "overthinking" I guess.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Somewhat off topic, but I love that I cost someone else money for a change. :)

@aeroengineer - can't wait to see what you find. I'm still trying to get over how much I agonized over trying to find Varget or 8208 for the last several years when for 55g H-335 seems a better option. Certainly as good.

@dryflash3 - thx for the comment, unfortunately, I think that "bearing down and concentrating" is what throws me. I think too much. There is a line between "concentrating" and "overthinking" I guess.
View Quote

@Landshark9025

I’ve already loaded up a few initial test loads with these bullets.

Attachment Attached File

These are H335 and mixed brass.  My plan for these projectiles is to fill my substantial stash of mixed range pickup brass.  A lot of shooters at my range shoot .223/5.56 and have no desire for their brass.  I sort out a couple of headstamps I use for specific loads (or some I scrap), and then use the rest to load ammo for carbine drills.  

Since these loads are typically fired from RDS enabled carbines at targets from 20 to 50 yards, my accuracy goal is a pretty pedestrian 2ish MOA.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Excellent post - thank you OP.  And much envy at the PSA offer.   I have had pleasure of speaking to them over the phone a few times.   The opportunity to meet them in person and see the operations, is something I would grab in a heartbeat!
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Let me try to say it another way, when you start a group you are concentrating and in a zen place. You job is to extend that zen pace throughout the group.

Relax and don't get impatient. It takes practice and a clear mind to shoot good groups.

Don't say "can't", instead practice and before you know it you will do the zen thing automatically.
View Quote

When I go Zen I expect my 2 year old to hit me in the nuts with a toy.

That's good advice...I think that's a clear description that I needed to read.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#23]
To add to what dryflash3 said:

For me, if I have done all the prep I should have, and made sure I have everything I need packed up before I roll to the range, then half of the stress of "testing" goes away.  Stress blocks focusing on anything, so whatever you can do to decrease the stress you feel about testing loads is worth your time.

There are a lot of techniques for focusing amid loud, active environments.  I've used several of them in helping surgical patients relax and let their pain meds work, and helping patients with anxiety and stress issues "talk themselves down" so they can actually be present and do the physical and occupational therapy they need to be able to go home.  It's a LOT easier with someone who just "overthinks" things, but it's not something that can go in a forum post - it's got to be a lot more individualized, and practice needs to be guided until the person gets the hang of it.

Look up "relaxation techniques" and find a few that do not sound like you need soy milk and a yoga mat to do them ( ), and give them a try.  You could be surprised at how effective they are.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:

@Landshark9025

I've already loaded up a few initial test loads with these bullets.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314595/FC4CE230-99AF-4272-8FBE-8D035649F0DD_jpe-2448766.JPG

These are H335 and mixed brass.  My plan for these projectiles is to fill my substantial stash of mixed range pickup brass.  A lot of shooters at my range shoot .223/5.56 and have no desire for their brass.  I sort out a couple of headstamps I use for specific loads (or some I scrap), and then use the rest to load ammo for carbine drills.  

Since these loads are typically fired from RDS enabled carbines at targets from 20 to 50 yards, my accuracy goal is a pretty pedestrian 2ish MOA.
View Quote
Those look purty.

Do my eyes deceive me or by "mixed brass" do those also have a pretty wide variance in case length? It could just be the photo, but it looks like a couple have the cannelure almost exposed and others have it almost covered.

Not that it matters for what you specified as your use case, just curious.

I do the same thing with range brass. Ammo for drills goes in steel mags, ammo I care about either goes in an ammo can or PMAGs.

Nice photos, btw.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 3:28:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroEngineer] [#25]
Those look purty.

Do my eyes deceive me or by "mixed brass" do those also have a pretty wide variance in case length? It could just be the photo, but it looks like a couple have the cannelure almost exposed and others have it almost covered.

I do the same thing with range brass. Ammo for drills goes in steel mags, ammo I care about either goes in an ammo can or PMAGs.

Nice photos, btw.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:

@Landshark9025

I've already loaded up a few initial test loads with these bullets.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314595/FC4CE230-99AF-4272-8FBE-8D035649F0DD_jpe-2448766.JPG

Those look purty.

Nice photos, btw.

The brass does have a pretty significant variance in length.  I trimmed them all to 1.75.  Any brass that resizes shorter than trim length just stay as-is.

I shot these loads today and definitely more accurate than Wolf Gold, which is my benchmark for range ammo.

A series of 6 round groups showed Wolf Gold at its usual 2.5 MOA and my handloads with 55 gr AAC bullets at 1.8 MOA.  

I’m sure I could do better if I sorted brass but these are good enough and let me use up my bucket of once fired random headstamps.

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the update, @aeroengineer.

Good to see they worked for you too.

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I need to visit the reloading pages more often . This was very informative
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:54:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: carcrazysammy] [#29]
Not sure how I missed this thread. Cheap 55 grain projectiles that shoot well? Count me in!

Just ordered 500.

Sammy
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By carcrazysammy:
Not sure how I missed this thread. Cheap 55 grain projectiles that shoot well? Count me in!

Just ordered 500.

Sammy
View Quote
Happy to contribute to someone else's "saving money through reloading" for a change. :)
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:47:59 AM EDT
[#31]
With cases trimmed to 1.750" and COAL of 2.250", where does the cannelure end up?
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I’m really impressed with PSA. Outstanding work. You definitely have my business.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#33]
How in the world did I miss this thread?  Definitely going to look into PSA when ordering projectiles.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
With cases trimmed to 1.750" and COAL of 2.250", where does the cannelure end up?
View Quote

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top