Whidden trim dies are gtg
View Quote

Thanks. No anyone loading 44 mag?
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A thought on your powder bar.

I went with a Dillon x small powder bar and the Arrendondo powder drop slide with micrometer. When I load .32 wadcutters on the 550,  I can consistently get drops of 1.7 grains of WST.

Liked the setup so well. I got one for the 1050 in 9mm.
View Quote

Thanks.  I have a Dillon x small powder bar on the way.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Since you can't buy these anymore I had one printed.  Need to wire it into my MK1 now for processing 223 brass on 1050.

https://i.imgur.com/6oFTxPrh.jpg
View Quote

Hmm do you have the file it was printed from?
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 12:31:43 AM EDT
[#5]
9mm will look like that with some carbide sizer dies.  Carbide dies are best with straight wall cases because they are made with a ring of carbide.  Non carbide dies can be cut to a chamber shape.  

9mm is not straight walled, it's tapered.  There is .038" between nominal neck diameter and base diameter.  When you size them, you have to it so that the neck is sized enough to hold a bullet and what's left of the base is small enough to chamber.  Sometimes that bulge can't be helped and I've never in 10's of thousands of rounds had a problem because of it.  Those will shoot and load again just fine.

As far as the 44 magnum, I had my 1050 set up in it 30 years ago.  I used to shoot the hand cast RCBS 232(?) grain SWC with a gas check over a charge of 15 grs. Bluedot and a CCI 350 primer.  Used to load a thousand at a time.  Back then my youngest son and a friend was messing with my press.  Somehow they damaged my carbide sizer die.  I called Dillon and admitted what happened.  I wanted to buy a new die and they sent me a new die and some swag on the house.  I don't know if that would happen now as they consider the Super 1050 "commercial".
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hmm do you have the file it was printed from?
View Quote

sent email
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Since you can't buy these anymore I had one printed.  Need to wire it into my MK1 now for processing 223 brass on 1050.

https://i.imgur.com/6oFTxPrh.jpg
View Quote

You know the Dillon low primer alarm?

What if somebody 3D printed an adapter to mount the low primer alarm upside down .... to the Lee (Universal) decapping (resizing) die?

So that when the decapping rod/pin slides up in the collet, the alarm goes off?

Link Posted: 7/16/2020 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

sent email
View Quote

Thank you will look into it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You know the Dillon low primer alarm?

https://www.extremereloadingnv.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Dillon-Precision-Low-Primer-Alarm-Stop-247x247.jpg

What if somebody 3D printed an adapter to mount the low primer alarm upside down .... to the Lee (Universal) decapping (resizing) die?

So that when the decapping rod/pin slides up in the collet, the alarm goes off?

View Quote

With the adapter we have access to now, just tie into the low primer or hand kill switch and be done.  AMMOBOT is not going to support the MK1. so we are on our own.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Loaded my first 50 rounds of .45 on 1050.  Pain to set up, but I think I've got it. Getting the primer seater took some time.  

The GSI toolhead feeding the bullets was overall good, but not good enough when running autodrive.  May work better with fresh bullets, I was using bullets I pulled and brass that wasn't the cleanest. 3 rejects out of the 50.

The GSI bullet collator worked OK, dropped all bullets pointy side up.

4.9 gr of WST with the 230gr bullet, hope I didn't over do it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want a simple bullet feeder check out ALBPKITS good setups work well
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I ended up with two MBF, one 223 and one .45.  Using the GSI for now until I get better at this and buy a couple more toolheads. Then I'l ditch the GSI stuff.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Need to tweek the primer system, towards the end it wasn't sliding all the way in, had to give it a push so head would come down. Couldn't imagine what would happen in autodrive if this happened.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Loading .45 on 1050, still tweaking and getting used to it and I get a round that looks like the bullet was shoved in too far, measured 1.263, odd, look at head stamp, ROWLAND 460. WTF, something else to watch for, never heard of that round, living under a rock.

Found this:The . 460 Rowland is a proprietary cartridge which attains true . 44 Magnum level velocities when fired from a number of popular semi-automatic pistols, revolvers, and rifles. ... 460 Rowland Conversions for specific versions of the M1911.

45 ACP dies are fine for reloading 460 Rowland® since it is a true . 45 caliber round. The 460 Rowland® casing is 1/16? longer to prevent it from chambering in a gun that has not been converted. You will need to seat the bullet 1/16? deeper.

So it's the 10mm version of .45?

Link Posted: 7/18/2020 10:28:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Had 7 fail gauge, slight bulge at bottom above extractor groove ..4730, good are .4705     Should I change sizing die to fix this or is this something roll sizing fixes?
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Try adjusting your sizing die down so there is just a hair of light between it and the shellplate.
View Quote

Thanks.  It's down.  Miss spoke, 550 has Lee dies, 1050 has Dillon sizing die in question, because of the taper at bottom it doesn't size all the way down??  .  I was reading the bulge comes from GLOCK?  Hate to think I'd have to go through thousands of brass to measure for this.

Happy to say the GSI tool head bullet feeder is working great, just the collator jams up on occasion, need something to keep bullets from piling up the side.

Looks like GSI at one point put something there, but they are no help anymore.  I have the holes, just need to figure out what material was used.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Not sure how much traffic the WTB section gets, but look there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Found Lee sizer and crimp in box of stuff, put them in and ran 50 rounds thru, all checked good so far. It's possible I didn't run into any bulged cases to.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 11:06:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Now I know why the GSI bullet feeder was dumped, just too finicky, too many moving parts.  The more I use it, the more I hate it.  May just get the toolhead machined down to a short toolhead for 300 blk processing.  Hole number 5 has to be drilled out and tapped also, it takes a special seating die that is smaller, so it doesn't interfere with the rotary wheel that brings bullets in.  Gave it the old College try, time to move on.

Have to buy another toolhead for .45, already have a MBF for .45.

Loving that 550 though, cranking out the 9mm. Putting out more 9mm on that, than .45 on 1050 because of the finicky GSI.

Need a good cheap machine shop.  Maybe someone with the short toolhead can give me measurements on what's cut out.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I gave the old Engineer try and built a hybrid.. MBF mated to the GSI toolhead. Worked really well.

Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Need a good cheap machine shop.  Maybe someone with the short toolhead can give me measurements on what's cut out.
View Quote

@coanan2 Sent you a text and picture of what is cutout. Basically take stations 4, 5 and 6 down to 1/2" thick.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@coanan2 Sent you a text and picture of what is cutout. Basically take stations 4, 5 and 6 down to 1/2" thick.
View Quote

Thanks

Solved another issue, for the most part,  with GSI toolhead.  Was getting crushed cases randomly until I remove the pin and tab at bullet feed station, case needs to self align going into rotor that holds bullet.. Just that little bit of interference would cause the case to catch side of bullet and crush it.  With collator and that little issue solve it ran 400rds of 230gr JHP in quick order.

There is spring that wraps around wheel that keeps tension on bullet to keep it from falling out, this keeps bullet to one side.

Link Posted: 7/22/2020 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Didn't know these existed, learn lots of stuff reloading pistol ammo.

Link Posted: 7/22/2020 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Just ran another 200 rds of 230 gr HP without a hitch.  So far the MBF with the GSI toolhead are working great. Happy camper now.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Have the decapper switch wired into the low primer shut off.  Haven't tested yet.

Link Posted: 7/24/2020 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#28]
The rev 1 uses yellow/white rca Jack's for the primer alarm correct?

Pretty sure it does if so run a rca splitter and you don't have to rewire anything to run the primer alarm and the decapper alarm.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The rev 1 uses yellow/white rca Jack's for the primer alarm correct?

Pretty sure it does if so run a rca splitter and you don't have to rewire anything to run the primer alarm and the decapper alarm.
View Quote

I have a MK1. All hard wired with no optional upgrades. Not even from AMMOBOT.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Finally broke down and bought the short 1050 toolhead, 300 blk and 223 trim dies, had the 308 from previous purchase.  Time to make the AMMOBOT and RT1500 earn it's keep.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Got the short toolhead set up with the RT1500.  Vacuum attachment is pretty bad, as is poor fitting, has to be a better one out there.

First run was 300rds of 300 blk cut and sized the old fashion way, just needed trimming.  https://youtu.be/TDDA3hCbNJs

Second run was 100 rds of 556 to 300 blk, couple of 300 blk rerun in the mix.  https://youtu.be/iXJUCgvSoP0

Slow and steady to get the feel of things.  All went pretty smooth.

Set up now to trim 556.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Slow and steady to get the feel of things.  All went pretty smooth.
View Quote

Looks like you're off to a great start. Slow and steady wins the race. Then once you get the hang of it and everything is running good, then add some speed, but only what's comfortable.

Link Posted: 8/5/2020 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Rough start, but I got about 2000 rds through.  https://youtu.be/gR5Grmuc0iU

Stainless tumbling,  some of them done, need sunglasses.  

Had extensions printed so I could leave the guide rods on.

Link Posted: 8/5/2020 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR5Grmuc0iU

To post a video, from the reply window, click on the utube icon (next to the bird)

A new window opens paste the utube link and click on Submit. Done

Your link will post, just won't look quite right until you Submit the post.

eta, this works for Team members only.

eta2, next time turn your phone 90 degrees. Your video will look better.
View Quote

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Haven't started loading 556 yet, waiting on the sm primer kit.

Should of had it Monday 3rd, was in WPB on the 2nd, three days later, 5th it shows up in N Houston, TX

It's back in FL again today..  Priority Mail, right.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:06:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Can't get less than 3.5 grains of N320 out of Dillon powder drop, trying to get 3.4, small bar is in. Had it screwed to a stop CCW before dumping powder.  Loading 147 gr 9mm.   I did find a couple black plastic ARREDONDO bars, they close up pretty small, read they have to be fitted.
View Quote

Dillon's small bar (included with PM, along with Large) is supposed to go from aprox 3g to 20g, but those ratings have been around forever... N320 is pretty small volume powder IIRC, so that may be the issue.  Dillon offers an Extra Small bar that goes from .5 to 3g as well, or you can try the DIY options already mentioned.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Dillon's small bar (included with PM, along with Large) is supposed to go from aprox 3g to 20g, but those ratings have been around forever... N320 is pretty small volume powder IIRC, so that may be the issue.  Dillon offers an Extra Small bar that goes from .5 to 3g as well, or you can try the DIY options already mentioned.
View Quote

Thanks.. picked up the x-small bar, works great.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top