Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Starting to wonder about Dillon the more I look into this 1050..  They included a Square D powder drop when unit was repaired.  On the phone I was assured it was all the same, but why different part numbers then.   It has the wrong die for 1050. I questioned the length of powder bar return rod, seemed too long.  Well I started comparing things part numbers are in fact different for rods  1050 - 13960, 550 - 9700, 650 - 13629,  Square D - 13876 one I was sent.  Been on the phone with them twice to get bent primer tube issue fixed because of bad packing and also about  powder drop issue, which they seem to O-well it.
View Quote

This is not what I would expect from Dillon.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems shipping just threw things in without verifying. Whole other thing about shell plate. Same day shipping out 1050 I see a charge alert of 79.99, called to find out what it was, .45 shell plate on back order, OK, sell me the whole kit since it's in stock, done. Get 1050 unpacked and it has a new shell plate, scratch head, so when I'm on phone about primer tube I ask about this, O, it was taken from a kit, OK. Why wasn't I told or better yet, why wasn't it in file so there was no confusion?  When the kit gets here I'll ship in back, they did give me a RMA for it.  

They are nice enough about all, maybe under staffed because of COVID, they're not the only company having troubles with it.  

Over all I'm very happy with things. My first progressive and want to make sure all is right, don't know enough to say: "It'll work just fine with other parts"

It's always the details.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Update: they are sending out a primer tube and powder drop die. Gotta say one thing: "Mike took care of this problem quick".
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This is not what I would expect from Dillon.
View Quote

If you have a 1050, could you measure the rod length?  They may have different pn, but be the same length, possible?
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you have a 1050, could you measure the rod length?  They may have different pn, but be the same length, possible?
View Quote

The linkage rod with blue wing nut?
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The linkage rod with blue wing nut?
View Quote

yes
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How hot do the fins get?  May need a higher RPM fan, I haven't run mine yet.
View Quote

I run about 1000 pieces and they are warm not burn u warm but def need airflow over them to protect motor. Your twin fan setup should be perfect.

ETA: looked at your pics for powder rod looks just like mine.
Also if you want more room on toolhead grab a CNC toolhead.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have 550.  I couldn't afford to feed a 1050, LOL.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 11:08:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have 550.  I couldn't afford to feed a 1050, LOL.
View Quote

If I didn't get such a good deal I'd still be on my T7 loading rifle and buying pistol ammo.  Things are starting to add up outfitting the 550 and 1050 though.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#10]
As others have mentioned, sell the 550 for money to work on the 1050.  

The 1050 is a high volume rig, it takes a lot of shooting to make them worth the effort.  I enjoy reloading almost as much as a do shooting so I would not want it over any faster than what a 550 gets it done.  Some people look at reloading as chore and nothing more.  I look at it as a way to extend the shooting sports into more than shooting a cleaning my weapons.  Plus, I can do it a savings over current ammo prices.  I load a Mk262 clone for about the same money as a M193 clone and Mk262 is expensive ammo to buy in a Blackhills box.  I can load 9mm crazy cheap also using Blue Bullets and range pickup brass.  

I got my 550 for $25 at an estate sale!
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The 1050 is a high volume rig, it takes a lot of shooting to make them worth the effort.  I enjoy reloading almost as much as a do shooting so I would not want it over any faster than what a 550 gets it done.  Some people look at reloading as chore and nothing more.  I look at it as a way to extend the shooting sports into more than shooting a cleaning my weapons.  Plus, I can do it a savings over current ammo prices.  I load a Mk262 clone for about the same money as a M193 clone and Mk262 is expensive ammo to buy in a Blackhills box.  I can load 9mm crazy cheap also using Blue Bullets and range pickup brass.  

View Quote

If I was honest with myself, I'd sell the 1050 and keep 550, don't shoot enough to justify the 1050; however, I lie to myself about going to range more and needing the 1050.  I like the hobby and reloading is a hobby to me, not a job.  Need to sell 550 to fund more stuff for 1050 now, getting out of control. hahahhaha
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm kinda the opposite, I enjoy shooting but haven't gotten too into reloading. To me it's something I do so I can shoot more. The 1050 means I spend less time at the reloading press than the 450 I have and get out a lot more ammo. In terms of total volume, technically I couldn't justify the 1050 either.

It's interesting how priorities changed. When I picked up the 450 it was getting into reloading as cheap as possible to be able to shoot more, my time at the time was cheap. Now, time is more precious, and I am willing to swap some money for more time. Of course it didn't hurt to pick up the 1050 at a steal as well.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By @coanan2:

yes
View Quote

The rid is roughly 9 3/4" long
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here, thanks.  Guess some part numbers mean nothing.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, there is a difference. The 1050 has a hole for a clip at the top of it and the 550 one has a dogleg that you feed through the powder measure actuator linkage to operate the measure. So that is the difference of the current models and why there is different part #'s for that.

The part # differences for the powder measures are as follows.

20782 is the 550, 650, 750 powder measure assembly. It is a powder measure and silver in color die for it to sit on. Uses a 2 Allen screw retainer to hold the measure to the die.

20001 is the Square Deal B powder measure assembly. Sits on the same silver in color die, but has a single Allen screw to attach the retaining clip to the measure.

20421 is the 1050, 1100 powder measure assembly. Same as the 550, 650 and 750 measure, but uses a black heat treated powder die.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No, there is a difference. The 1050 has a hole for a clip at the top of it and the 550 one has a dogleg that you feed through the powder measure actuator linkage to operate the measure. So that is the difference of the current models and why there is different part #'s for that.

The part # differences for the powder measures are as follows.

20782 is the 550, 650, 750 powder measure assembly. It is a powder measure and silver in color die for it to sit on. Uses a 2 Allen screw retainer to hold the measure to the die.

20001 is the Square Deal B powder measure assembly. Sits on the same silver in color die, but has a single Allen screw to attach the retaining clip to the measure.

20421 is the 1050, 1100 powder measure assembly. Same as the 550, 650 and 750 measure, but uses a .
View Quote

Thanks.. I was comparing the bare rod numbers.  Dillon is sending out the black heat treated powder die and a primer mag tube.

Waiting for the 550 extras pics?
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have older SD's that had the dogleg clip, hard on your hand to take off to empty PM.

The newer fail safe rod has the hitch pin, a lot easier on your hand.

I recommend upgrading if you have the dogleg clip rod.
View Quote

Thanks.. Have the pin style rod.

Set dies up yesterday and ran a dummy round through. So far the GSI bullet feeder is working properly.  GSI is looking into the piece that bolts into hopper to keep bullets from piling up. Sent them a vid showing I fixed their feeder, guessing that motivated them a little, originally I told them I was dumping it in the trash. I know it's old and discontinued, but they could at least offer up the files for someone else to make parts.

Tested the feeder tube I had printed and built electronics for.  Worked as advertised.

Link Posted: 7/4/2020 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Can't get less than 3.5 grains of N320 out of Dillon powder drop, trying to get 3.4, small bar is in. Had it screwed to a stop CCW before dumping powder.  Loading 147 gr 9mm.   I did find a couple black plastic ARREDONDO bars, they close up pretty small, read they have to be fitted.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
An old trick  used with shotgun powder bushings is to put blue tape inside the bushing to get a smaller charge.

Adapt that technique to the powder bars. Or epoxy to make powder space smaller.
View Quote

Great idea. Think 3.5 gr of N320 is too much for starting load? Reading about people going up to 4.0.  Guess I could fit the ARREDONDO bar, it's a PDS-1.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 12:05:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Good score OP

Once you have run a few hundred or so rounds off on the machine in manual mode to check all the settings are good, the auto-drive will make short work of keeping you in ammo

Excellent score - esp. with the 550 press included, let alone the bullet feeder & auto-drive
Good price haggle too; I saw the photos of the haul & my brain came up with the same figure as you got it for (though I missed that there was a 550 in there too)

Regret turning down a Dillon 1000 a while ago. Running a few 550 presses and some 450 presses.
LOVE my Dillon machines - they are just so well made
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 1:32:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Went back to guy I got the stuff from to look at powder and primers he has, quite a load, working on price.
4 - 8# H110
2 - 8# Longshot
3 - 8# Universal Clays
74 - 1# Silhuette
7 - 2000 rd boxes of Frontier 223 55gr
EDIT not cases
17 bricks of 1000 CCI lg pistol primers
5 bricks of 1000 CCI sm rifle 400
2 bricks of 1000 CCI sm rifle mag 450
2 bricks of 1000 Winchester lg pistol WLP

Then he took me back to a warehouse room like the other, forgot stuff was in there. Jackpot, spent a few minutes collecting, going back to clean up and get all.
Missing power supply and dies messed up

couple thousand more new 9mm

Link Posted: 7/5/2020 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Went back to guy I got the stuff from to look at powder and primers he has, quite a load, working on price.
4 - 8# H110
2 - 8# Longshot
3 - 8# Universal Clays
74 - 1# Silhuette
17 cases of CCI lg pistol primers
5 cases of CCI sm rifle 400
2 cases of CCI sm rifle mag 450
2 cases of Winchester lg pistol WLP

Then he took me back to a warehouse room like the other, forgot stuff was in there. Jackpot, spent a few minutes collecting, going back to clean up and get all.
https://i.imgur.com/92VQ9rZm.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/0MEe76fm.jpgMissing power supply and dies messed up https://i.imgur.com/yEPJsHJm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/edKZqIfm.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/QKSjH4dm.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/qAQIbU0m.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1Ve66g0m.jpg couple thousand more new 9mm https://i.imgur.com/ZjeIyo7m.jpg

View Quote

You are set for a while.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#27]
The 1050 rod is strait the 650 rod is bent
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You are set for a while.
View Quote

Don't think I'll get all powder unless I have to as a package deal, then I need to  get rid of most of it.  Primers I'll keep, bullets not sure of all, 14000 is lot.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The 1050 rod is strait the 650 rod is bent
View Quote

There is so much stuff going on, which picture?
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There is so much stuff going on, which picture?
View Quote

Really hoping to find a trimmer in the place, along with the RF1000 that I found all the tubes for.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#31]
You mentioned the dies were messed up.  If by that you meant the MBF dropper dies, they are remarkably simple, and not much to be messed up in them.  Inner body, outer body, and the 3 ball bearings you found earlier, and that is all she wrote.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Really hoping to find a trimmer in the place, along with the RF1000 that I found all the tubes for.
View Quote

Loaded 15 rds and with all the excitement I misplace the 9mm bullet checker. So I took P226 apart and chambered them, fell right in, but they look odd. Sizing too small?

Link Posted: 7/5/2020 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You mentioned the dies were messed up.  If by that you meant the MBF dropper dies, they are remarkably simple, and not much to be messed up in them.  Inner body, outer body, and the 3 ball bearings you found earlier, and that is all she wrote.
View Quote

Looks like they didn't have dies set right and kept pushing case in too far and eating away at inner body, now case almost slides in too far.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Loaded 15 rds and with all the excitement I misplace the 9mm bullet checker. So I took P226 apart and chambered them, fell right in, but they look odd. Sizing too small?

https://i.imgur.com/8AYTOn7h.jpg
View Quote

Undersized die, or maybe not fully sizing?
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
4 - 8# H110
2 - 8# Longshot
3 - 8# Universal Clays
74 - 1# Silhuette
17 cases of CCI lg pistol primers
5 cases of CCI sm rifle 400
2 cases of CCI sm rifle mag 450
2 cases of Winchester lg pistol WLP

https://i.imgur.com/92VQ9rZm.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/0MEe76fm.jpgMissing power supply and dies messed up https://i.imgur.com/yEPJsHJm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/edKZqIfm.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/QKSjH4dm.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/qAQIbU0m.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1Ve66g0m.jpg couple thousand more new 9mm https://i.imgur.com/ZjeIyo7m.jpg

View Quote

Hey theres some brass sorters. You just need to get a 5 gallon bucket now for the tumbler.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hey theres some brass sorters. You just need to get a 5 gallon bucket now for the tumbler.
View Quote

Glad I did buy them, had them in cart a few times, they are pricey.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 12:02:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Good score OP

Once you have run a few hundred or so rounds off on the machine in manual mode to check all the settings are good, the auto-drive will make short work of keeping you in ammo

Excellent score - esp. with the 550 press included, let alone the bullet feeder & auto-drive
Good price haggle too; I saw the photos of the haul & my brain came up with the same figure as you got it for (though I missed that there was a 550 in there too)

Regret turning down a Dillon 1000 a while ago. Running a few 550 presses and some 450 presses.
LOVE my Dillon machines - they are just so well made
View Quote

Thanks.  Just used the 550 to load 15 rounds for testing. In all honesty, that's all I really need.  I've been loading rifle on the T7 for so long I got used to the slow repetitive tasks.  The 550 makes quick work comparing.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Undersized die, or maybe not fully sizing?
View Quote

Maybe under sizing, like the bullet is stretching it now. They are Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set.

I have a REDDING 9mm TIC 5N die and a HORNADY sizing dies I could try.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 4:11:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/8AYTOn7h.jpg
View Quote

They plunk in your barrel so they are fine. Dies pushed the brass to the minimum sized and the brass walls vary in thickness which makes it appear to be undersized when the bullet is inserted.

I see this often using mixed brass and blue bullets and have no issues shooting them. A factory sizing die is made specifically for that company's brass so the brass is sized perfectly for the wall thickness and bullet combination.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They plunk in your barrel so they are fine. Dies pushed the brass to the minimum sized and the brass walls vary in thickness which makes it appear to be undersized when the bullet is inserted.

I see this often using mixed brass and blue bullets and have no issues shooting them. A factory sizing die is made specifically for that company's brass so the brass is sized perfectly for the wall thickness and bullet combination.
View Quote

Ok, thanks.  Didn't  change powder bar yet, so it was dropping  3.5 to 3.6 N320. Hope it's fine.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Got another bullet check, could not find the other one.  9 of the 20 loads failed, stopped just above the extractor rim. Checked the bullets, got them with equipment, they measured .357 to .358, not sure what uses that diameter. Not sure why 11 passed, maybe difference brass thickess?  Loaded more with new bullets I bought, all checked good.  

Those pesky little 380s, like to take the guy who thought up that round behind a woodshed. hahaha  Had one make it into rotation, felt it as bullet was pushing into case. Thought that big box of primed 9mm was all 9mm,, not. Now I have to sort that, has to be 45 lbs of it.

Got the primer tube housing for 1050 from Dillon, the other was bent pretty good, bad on left. Now I can start loading with that.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Got another bullet check, could not find the other one.  9 of the 20 loads failed, stopped just above the extractor rim. Checked the bullets, got them with equipment, they measured .357 to .358, not sure what uses that diameter. Not sure why 11 passed, maybe difference brass thickess?  Loaded more with new bullets I bought, all checked good.  

Those pesky little 380s, like to take the guy who thought up that round behind a woodshed. hahaha  Had one make it into rotation, felt it as bullet was pushing into case. Thought that big box of primed 9mm was all 9mm,, not. Now I have to sort that, has to be 45 lbs of it.

Got the primer tube housing for 1050 from Dillon, the other was bent pretty good, bad on left. Now I can start loading with that.
https://i.imgur.com/pQYr5jEh.jpg
View Quote

Those bullets are for 38/357.  9mm use .355 diameter bullets. Pull down the ones you loaded. Even though the plunked they most likely will be unsafe.

They plunked because the are seated deep and aren't hitting the lands yet. Plunk testing is more related to bullet seating depth than anything else.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Those bullets are for 38/357.  9mm use .355 diameter bullets. Pull down the ones you loaded. Even though the plunked they most likely will be unsafe.

They plunked because the are seated deep and aren't hitting the lands yet. Plunk testing is more related to bullet seating depth than anything else.
View Quote

OK, thanks, will do.  I'll measure the other bullets that I got with press, none of them had packaging labels.   The new bullets I bought  are .355.  Love that little 550.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Since you can't buy these anymore I had one printed.  Need to wire it into my MK1 now for processing 223 brass on 1050.

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone hear of Whidden Gunworks?  They have a 300blk trim die, looks different than a Dillon.

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Bullet identification, thought .45 until I measured.  Where used? .4285 .4290

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#49]
A thought on your powder bar.

I went with a Dillon x small powder bar and the Arrendondo powder drop slide with micrometer. When I load .32 wadcutters on the 550,  I can consistently get drops of 1.7 grains of WST.

Liked the setup so well. I got one for the 1050 in 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Bullet identification, thought .45 until I measured.  Where used? .4285 .4290

https://i.imgur.com/MjyTqIkh.jpg
View Quote

.429 is 44 mag

Whidden trim dies are gtg
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top