BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lots of Power Pistol recommendations, I might have to pick up a pound to try.
View Quote
I am kind of surprised by this.

I tried some Power Pistol about 3 years ago, and it was not my favorite.

Loud.
Big muzzle flash.
Dirty.

Obviously, YMMV, and there are lots in this thread that seem to love it.

One other suggestion you might want to try: Alliant BE-86.

BE-86 is supposed to be "the same" as Power Pistol, but with added flash suppressant and less dirty. I tried some a while back, and although I liked what I saw, I never really took the time to pursue it too far. I still have that lb sitting in my powder cabinet, I may need to drag it back out again and give it another try.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
My glock 17 likes 124 fmj over max load of blue dot (don't have my data handy)
lots of bang and velocity. Recoil for me is less than power pistol (could be a tad slower burning)
Later
John
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 4:41:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I run 5.5 gr of power pistol, extreme bullets plated 124gr fmj seated at 1.150.

It groups very well in my MK25 and M11-A1, shoots POA/POI out to 25yds.

I'd be curious to hear if others think it's alittle to "hot" of a charge.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's a load that's completely different...

Back during the last administration when my usual powders were hard to find ( HP38 & Titegroup) I thought I'd try what they had on the shelf, American Select. I couldn't find any loading data for it so I called Alliant to see what they would suggest for my powder coated 120 gr cast bullets. I regret I can not remember what they said the maximum and minimum was, but I settled on 4.0 gr of American Select with my PC coated 120s. 4.0 grains was below the maximum and above the minimum related to me,  my G17 and CZ75 both liked this load.

This load chronographed @ 1085 fps out of my G17.

What I like about American Select is it's very clean and seemingly "cooler" burning than Titegroup. I know my recovered bullets with Titegroup usually had the powder coating burned off the base of the bullet, not so with American Select. This load is very low smoke too.

A powder I'd like to try is Alliant's new(ish) powder Sport Pistol. It's advertised as temperature stable, and "optimized for powder coated bullets". Sounds interesting to me. I haven't seen it in my neck of the woods though.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:...A powder I'd like to try is Alliant's new(ish) powder Sport Pistol. It's advertised as temperature stable, and "optimized for powder coated bullets". Sounds interesting to me. I haven't seen it in my neck of the woods though.
View Quote
I called Alliant today and asked about it.

Asked where it fell into the burn rate chart.

he said it was near  American Select, vit-320,  . . . . so faster burning.

He said it burned cooler than TG, clean, less smokey with coated bullets.

I stopped by my local store, and didn't find any, but this sounds promising

thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I’ve sourced Sport Pistol from a very good local shop... out-of-stock at the moment.
When it’s available I’ll give it a go, and post some results and data here.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 12:36:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I've moved from TG to Sport Pistol for my bulk 9mm loading.

I like it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I like W231/HP38.  Probably the one of the most versatile pistol powders there is.  Works great from 115gr to 147gr.  Your not going to get max velocity but it is consistent and burns clean for me.  I like Power Pistol but it burns hot.  While Power Pistol burns clean normally for me when suppressed it is filthy.  Any suppressed is honestly but I guess there must be more gas creating more back pressure with it.

It also helps that I have a metric assload of 231!!

Sport Pistol sounds neat.  Might be a few years or more before I could justify buying any unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've moved from TG to Sport Pistol for my bulk 9mm loading.

I like it.
View Quote
cool
i’m gonna try it

thanks
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm an old school powder user.

4.8gr Bullseye
CCI 500
1.16" - 1.169" oal
115gr fmj
mild taper crimp
mixed brass

Shoots accurate in every 9mm I have except my P7 PSP...it likes less powder.  Have been using the above load for >30 years.  I also use the above load with 115gr plated bullets, but they normally aren't as accurate as jacketed, so I mainly shoot the plated bullets in the Sterling L2A3 SMG.  Also, the hollow base 115gr fmj are slightly more accurate than flat base 115mg fmj in my more accurate 9mm pistols (maybe it's because they are more accurate pistols so I can see the bullets are more accurate [SIG P210 and S&W 952]).
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Not using Lee factory crimp or mixed brass, but i am using the Lee taper crimp die and loving it.

S&B german mil surplus brass, Rem spp, Zero 115 gr conical hp @ 1.105 with 4.9 gr WSF. Shoots very soft and very well in my Shadow 2.

Its sister load has a 125 gr Zero conical hp and 5.2 gr WSF. I do not remember the length off hand.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Running 3.2 of Titegroup under Zero 147 hp’s. Only is issue is lots of residue around the muzzle.
Not sure what to do
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Running 3.2 of Titegroup under Zero 147 hp's. Only is issue is lots of residue around the muzzle.
Not sure what to do
View Quote
Thats TG for you. It works well, but it's not the cleanest powder.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I have worked up some Sport Pistol loads for my .40 competition gun and love it, but need to get around to doing some accuracy testing when I have some extra (!) time.

Meters well, burns clean, and I really liked it. Like I said, I really need to do some more testing before I do anything drastic like make a wholesale switch, but man, from what I saw, Sport Pistol is really a great powder and needs to do well in the market so we can start sourcing some locally when needed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone use WST ?

it works well in 40 and 45acp

Link Posted: 7/1/2018 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#20]
yep, accuracy has been good with 115 and 124s.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top