Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2017 10:38:03 PM EDT
After wet tumbling for a few years, I recently got a new 2 gallon PVC drum for wet tumbling.

After the first two loads in the tumbler, the drum has a dark film on it. The film can be partially wiped off with Simple Green- but not all of it. It is not possible to hand clean it (as far as I know).

Brass looks OK, not great like before this new drum.

Also, after I handle the pins- my hands have the same dark film on it.  

Any suggestions for how to clean the drum/pins.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The dawn is the ticket, use it on a hot rag to get the bulk of the slime.

Then run hottest water and dawn.  I had to do it twice.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:04:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Tumbling deprimmed, rinsed, fired cases (pistol).
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:11:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Try some Purple Power and warm water.

Rinse it out thoroughly with water before tumbling your next load of brass.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try some Purple Power and warm water.

Rinse it out thoroughly with water before tumbling your next load of brass.
View Quote
Purple Power is death for waxes and oils. I used to work in an auto parts store and we used PP to clean under the oil display. If you haven't worked in an auto parts store, it is impossible to have a large oil display without something on it leaking somewhere. PP would remove the oil, and the wax on the floor underneath. Use it straight, and rinse everything really, really well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Just did the purple power and hot water- it worked ok, not great.

Guess I'll just have to live with it.

Going to soak pins in purple power/hot water. Hopefully that will work well, and then the drum won't get worse.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Try running the tumbler with just the pins, PP, and hot water. Let it run for a bit before draining.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I had to run hot water and dawn a few times after getting some new pins as they had a little bit of oil from the production process. The brass came out real dull, but could be wiped off. About 3-4 short cycles with Dawn and water cleaned it right up.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had to run hot water and dawn a few times after getting some new pins as they had a little bit of oil from the production process. The brass came out real dull, but could be wiped off. About 3-4 short cycles with Dawn and water cleaned it right up.
View Quote
Thanks, this is my next step.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Purple Power is death for waxes and oils. I used to work in an auto parts store and we used PP to clean under the oil display. If you haven't worked in an auto parts store, it is impossible to have a large oil display without something on it leaking somewhere. PP would remove the oil, and the wax on the floor underneath. Use it straight, and rinse everything really, really well.
View Quote
Anything in that stuff that will cause issues with brass breakdown?  I have some occasional issues with lanolin buildup on cases.  

As for cleaning my drums and pins?  I just use Simple Green, hot water, and run for an hour.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Ran the tumbler in hot water with pins and a long squirt of Dawn (10 seconds) twice yesterday.  Drum didn't really get clean, but the pins are sparkling.

Hopefully the dirty pins were the issue. Not too worried about the drum, since the grime won't come off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top