Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2017 9:20:07 PM EDT
This is .50 beowulf, 335 jhp raniers loaded to alexander arms minimum with lilgun.

Is the flame marks around the bolt ok?

Too much fire?

Primers look ok? They almost look like they are packed into the corners a bit.

Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Primers look good.

I haven't shot .50 BW, but looks like too slow a powder or not enough, based on the residue. Not getting a good seal or more complete burn.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Your primers don’t look like they are deformed in any way, but sooty cases usually mean too light a load.  As Brony said, either the powder was too slow, or the load was too light.  Both can cause all that soot.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your primers don’t look like they are deformed in any way, but sooty cases usually mean too light a load.  As Brony said, either the powder was too slow, or the load was too light.  Both can cause all that soot.
View Quote
This was 36grains of lilgun.

Max on the table is 37.7

What would you try next?

36.5?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Your primers don’t look like they are deformed in any way, but sooty cases usually mean too light a load.  
View Quote
Looking at those primers and the nice, gentle radius into the priming pin indentation, my first thought was "Those look like a fairly light load, if anything."

That being said, OP, .50 Beowulf is a fairly low-pressure round (33kPSI), to keep within limits of the AR-15 bolt structure (larger bolt face, lower PSI, same overall force).  Because of that, a full-pressure load is NOT going to produce the same kind of super-flattened primers that you'd see with, say, M193.  Feel free to work up, but don't expect to use the same primer signs for this that you would for 5.56.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#6]
What sort of signs would show up with this caliber?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with the others. Sooty usually means light.

I'm not familiar with the 50 BW how does it head space? The reason I ask is you may see improvement if you can crimp a little tighter like for a magnum revolver.

If it's taper crimp like an auto pistol there isn't anything you can do. At least crimp wise.

Motor
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#8]
You actually are low on pressure.   The primers should show a light print of the breech face on them, but not so much that the primer dimple starts to blow back out or the edge starts to fill in.

I call it "coining".  I want to see light to moderate coining on the primer.

Here's a fine example photo:

Left to right:  Low pressure with no coining,  good pressure with the right amount of coining,  and too much pressure with a flattened primer.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You actually are low on pressure.   The primers should show a light print of the breech face on them, but not so much that the primer dimple starts to blow back out or the edge starts to fill in.

http://www.massreloading.com/images/flattened.jpg

Left to right:  Low pressure with no coining,  good pressure with the right amount of coining,  and too much pressure with a flattened primer.
View Quote
This is great! thank you.

The Beowulf is a "light taper crimp" which I have in there. It's not getting much more crimped unless I start to muscle it.

Thank you!!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:06:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok then your only choice is to increase the powder charge.

From what you describe it must head space on the case mouth like a auto pistol round.

How's your neck tension? Are you getting good resistance when seating?

Can you possibly back the expander/mouth flare up some? Reducing mouth flare will increase neck tension.

Most people don't realize you never regain the tension lost where the mouth flare is. No amount of taper crimping can make the brass smaller than the bullet once it is expanded. At least not while the bullet is still within the casing.

Motor
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#12]
As a LEE hater of some fame, even I am forced to admit that their collet type rifle "Factory Crimp Dies" are really, really good. If you go to their site they show availability of some custom order over runs on the the 50 Beowulf crimping die. Order one, you'll like it.

Yes, it did hurt to admit that they do really well on some things .
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#13]
"collet type rifle "Factory Crimp Dies" are really, really good."

And I know more than one person that managed to reduce the size of bullets by accident by poor adjustment.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And I know more than one person that managed to reduce the size of bullets by accident by poor adjustment.
View Quote
If some is good, then more is better?
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can see that happening with the Lee push through FCD, but how does that happen with the collet style crimp die?

The collet style only crimps the very end of the case mouth.

OP's loads look light to me also.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Primers look good.

I haven't shot .50 BW, but looks like too slow a powder or not enough, based on the residue. Not getting a good seal or more complete burn.
View Quote
This is where I’m at.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Primers look good.

View Quote
^ this with current info
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://www.massreloading.com/images/flattened.jpg

View Quote
That picture/excellent description should be tacked at the top of the reloading forum
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I can see that happening with the Lee push through FCD, but how does that happen with the collet style crimp die?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excessive crimp will deform all the way to the bullet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top