Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2017 11:10:03 PM EDT
Sorry for anyone clicking who thought I've actually done this.  I haven't.  Yet.  Before I proceed with this project I would like to get a few questions answered if I might be so lucky.  

I built a bench last weekend that I feel is sufficiently strong for reloading.  Legs are 4x4, frame is 2x6, and the top is 2 layers.  Bottom layer is 3/4 plywood and the top is 1/2".  The plywood layers are screwed to the frame and I used Liquid Nails (very generously) between the sheets.   I had it and I figured it couldn't hurt. Overall top dimensions are 61" x 19".  It's all I had to work with an also the reason for my query.  Adding to the struggle, I only have approximately 36" or frontage to work with.  I have a metal Husky bench with the stainless top and the new bench is situated with it in a corner, making an "L".  

What I would like to do is create a quick-swap system using a couple bolts that will hold down a piece of wood that the press, vice, etc., will attach to since bolt mounting patterns seem to vary.  

The main question I have is, is this even worth the effort?  I'd hate to do all of this only to find it too wobbly or just plain annoying to deal with.  

Second question; how wide would you space the through bolts if you were to do this?  Adding additional tools is likely and I want to make this as flexible as possible.  

Thanks for any thoughts.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:47:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quite a few reloaders use T track embedded in the bench top, letting them do just what you describe.

Rockler

I plan to use this in my next bench
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:06:07 AM EDT
[#2]
The pic threads are all jacked up but somebody here had a really cool slotted system they made with their router. A wooden "base plate" would slide into the slot, and he used threaded knobs to tighten them down.

How strong is that rockler setup? And sideways flexibility?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quite a few reloaders use T track embedded in the bench top, letting them do just what you describe.

Rockler

I plan to use this in my next bench
View Quote
I did this. I'm at work at the moment so I can't get you a picture. I put two strips of track. Get some of the T Track bolts.

If the point of this is to use multiple presses, either stick with a fixed mounting system like from In-line Fabrication, or bolt your press to a sturdy piece of wood (3/4" maple works fine). Space your tracks as appropriate. Use a good washer and either a knob or nut. I have absoluelty no problems with movement or flex. That said, you might want to put a few extra mounting screws in the Ttrack in the spot(s) you typically use the press.

I did this setup because my reloading bench is between 2 walls and only 44" wide. I can loosen and slide my 1050 to the side when I'm doing something else. I still need to put my CO-AX on a board and use it at that bench.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the leads.   I'll be looking into that.  I knew you guys would come through.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the leads.   I'll be looking into that.  I knew you guys would come through.  
View Quote
Inline Fabrication has a Quick Change mounting system of plates, stands, and storage racks . . . and other things.

Those might give you some other ideas on how to go about it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Inline Fabrication has a Quick Change mounting system of plates, stands, and storage racks . . . and other things.

View Quote
I have limited bench space and I use the Inline Fabrication flush mount quick change mounting plate. Love it. I can switch between my choice of a clear bench, three different presses, a vice, a case prep center or a Wilson lathe trimmer in less than 30 seconds. If you go this route, I’d suggest you also pick up some of their wall mounted hangers for storage of unmounted items.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have limited bench space and I use the Inline Fabrication flush mount quick change mounting plate. Love it. I can switch between my choice of a clear bench, three different presses, a vice, a case prep center or a Wilson lathe trimmer in less than 30 seconds. If you go this route, I’d suggest you also pick up some of their wall mounted hangers for storage of unmounted items.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes same here. I use the InLine Fabrication Quick Change mount with 3 presses and an RCBS bench-mounted priming system. The wall storage mounts are great for swapping out, but beware, my Dillon XL650 won't work with the wall mount because there is not enough enough room between the wall and the wall-mount slot. I ended up having to mount my XL650 on the edge of my bench so it would clear on the top. I ended up cutting a 4x4 to help support the weight of the XL650, especially with the case feeder:

Here is the mount on the edge of the bench:

Here is the 4x4 that I cut to length and set in place to help support the weight:

Here is the XL650 in place:

I position the 4x4 so that it sits right underneath the InLine Fabrication plate that is mounted to the press.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
My room is small, and I don't have nearly the bench I use to have. I went with the Inline Fabrication flush mount system and I'm extremely happy with it. I ended up putting in the base plate in 3 different spots, I currently have quick change plates for all my presses, and plan to add more for my vise, Lubrisizer, and bench grinder, among other things. It does get a little pricey, especially if you do multiple base plates, but it is very worth it to put all the items you don't need out of the way. It's also very nice to have the option to put the presses away and have a big open bench with nothing in the way.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes same here. I use the InLine Fabrication Quick Change mount with 3 presses and an RCBS bench-mounted priming system. The wall storage mounts are great for swapping out, but beware, my Dillon XL650 won't work with the wall mount because there is not enough enough room between the wall and the wall-mount slot. I ended up having to mount my XL650 on the edge of my bench so it would clear on the top. I ended up cutting a 4x4 to help support the weight of the XL650, especially with the case feeder:

Here is the mount on the edge of the bench:

https://i.imgur.com/CkGiEPD.jpg

Here is the 4x4 that I cut to length and set in place to help support the weight:

https://i.imgur.com/z3Q6ubh.jpg

Here is the XL650 in place:

https://i.imgur.com/BhybocX.jpg

I position the 4x4 so that it sits right underneath the InLine Fabrication plate that is mounted to the press.
View Quote

The wall mount you're using is meant for storage only, it is not made for actually using a press. You need one of the ultramounts or Flush mount base plate that actually mounts to a sturdy bench.

ETA: I think I see what you're saying. I haven't put my wall mounts up yet, but plan to mount them to a piece of dimensional stock (1x or 2x, and then mount the stock to the studs). Would that extra .75-1.5" of room give you enough space for the 650/casefeeder?
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#10]
What I did was mount all my presses on 2x10'' boards about 10'' long with the grain running front to back, drilled 2 holes 7'' on center in each one and 2 corresponding holes in the bench slightly smaller with 2x4's under each hole.

The idea is that I can change out presses just by removing 2 large lag bolts which hold the board, with press attached, to the bench top. The 2x4's under give added strength for the bolts to grip into.

I did the same with other equipment (trimmer, bench primer, etc.)

I can have a clear bench for gun care or a mounted press for loading in 1 minute without a bunch of holes or metal brackets all over.

And, BTW, the materials you have on hand should make a very sturdy bench if done right and screwed to the wall too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The wall mount you're using is meant for storage only, it is not made for actually using a press. You need one of the ultramounts or Flush mount base plate that actually mounts to a sturdy bench.

ETA: I think I see what you're saying. I haven't put my wall mounts up yet, but plan to mount them to a piece of dimensional stock (1x or 2x, and then mount the stock to the studs). Would that extra .75-1.5" of room give you enough space for the 650/casefeeder?
View Quote
No, that still will not give enough clearance (ask me how I know!!!). I even used a 4x4 mounted to the wall, and it still was not enough clearance. (And no, I am not using the press in this configuration, just storage.)

You also have to tip the top of the press towards the wall to get the tang of the press mount into the slot of the wall mount.

I went though several iterations of designs to get the damn thing to mount for storage on the wall, and finally gave up and mounted it on the bench. Not ideal, and it does get in my way sometimes, but the design of the press combined with the design of the wall mounted storage brackets does not allow it to happen, even when I take the case feeder off of the bracket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top