Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2017 6:40:50 PM EDT
I was able to find some old powder marked 4064 and 4895 stored inside a glass mayo jar.

It’s probqbly 20-40 years old.

Anyway, I thought what better way to test it then loading it up and shooting it out of my 7.7 Arisaka and strap it down to a table and pull the trigger with a string.

For comparison, I loaded up some new IMR 4064. Didn’t have any old 4895.

Here’s what I got for velocity:

New 39.0gr 4064 - 2,279fps

Old  39.0gr 4064 - 2342fps

= older powder had an increase of 63 fps.

Old IMR 4831 46.1gr (2,100-2,300 published)
actual 2,027fps

Old IMR 4985 (2,300+ Published) - 2177fps actual

Bass had no pressure signs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Not too bad a velocity difference with 4064. I wonder what the pressure curve looked like though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not too bad a velocity difference. I wonder what the pressure curve looked like though.
View Quote
Do you think it’s bad? I wanted to use the 4895 for my garand.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]
"I was able to find some old powder marked 4064 and 4895 stored inside a glass mayo jar."

Based upon everything I've ever learned about reloading, you found some lawn fertilizer and decided to load it.  I think you should pitch it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Do you think it’s bad? I wanted to use the 4895 for my garand.
View Quote
Standard procedure is to dump it, so
"at your own risk" of course.

If you're sure it's 4895 (knowing IMR or H is better) and looks good and smells good, maybe chrono 5 shots with a start load. If it's close to published data for .30-06, proceed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#5]
If I was certain it was labeled correctly like when my son opens the powder cabinet and pulls out the Hodgdon container that I re-labeled WC-844 so we wouldn't be handling an 8 pound jug all the time, I wouldn't be afraid of using it.

But if not certain. That's your call.

Motor
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

"I was able to find some old powder marked 4064 and 4895 stored inside a glass mayo jar."

Based upon everything I've ever learned about reloading, you found some lawn fertilizer and decided to load it.  I think you should pitch it.
View Quote
Velocity is within spec.

Powder looks the same,  not a mix.

Brass was not stretched nor primers flat.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:40:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I also have a metal can of BLC.

Not BLC 2, but BLC.

I think that’s WWII surplus powder.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:08:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was able to find some old powder marked 4064 and 4895 stored inside a glass mayo jar.
View Quote

Glass mayo jars with metal lids?  

Primers stored is a glass jar ignited by a static discharge is a classic example of poor reloading practice and a home-made bomb.  

Static ignition of powder is less likely, but not unknown.  The metal list provides a path from the body to the jar, but the glass is an insulator, so the static charge "dances" across the surface of the jar until it reaches the decaying powder.  

Please transfer the powder into a metal or plastic container as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:09:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:10:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Primers stored is a glass jar ignited by a static discharge is a classic example of poor reloading practice and a home-made bomb.  

Static ignition of powder is less likely, but not unknown.  The metal list provides a path from the body to the jar, but the glass is an insulator, so the static charge "dances" across the surface of the jar until it reaches the decaying powder.  

Please transfer the powder into a metal or plastic container as soon as possible.
View Quote
I'm not disagreeing but how is a plastic bottle with a metal lid any different than a glass bottle with a metal lid. Both glass and plastic are insulators and plastic is often a static generator.

I don't store stuff in glass bottles because sometimes my hands don't work too well.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would love to see a pic of that BLC can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not BLC 2, but BLC.

I’ll post it for you tonight dryflash.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not disagreeing but how is a plastic bottle with a metal lid any different than a glass bottle with a metal lid. Both glass and plastic are insulators and plastic is often a static generator.

I don't store stuff in glass bottles because sometimes my hands don't work too well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don’t worry gentlemen, i’ll Transfer the powder to a modern powder container.

For extra caution, I’ll attach my anti static wrist wire I use for PC’s and discharge any static on my body and jar before I open.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not BLC 2, but BLC.

I looked at the can again and it says BLC

Than Lot #2 in smaller print below.

I’m guessing that’s BLC-2?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:07:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#15]
You're braver than I am. I would have tossed it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#16]
No issue if you are absolutely certain of the powder's ID.  As long as it's not showing evidence of decomposition it should be good to go.

I'd bet that the small velocity difference was just a lot to lot variance and not ageing over time.

I have some powder that needs to be disposed of, come to think of it....
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:29:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You're braver than I am. I would have tossed it.
View Quote
Powder looks normal. No rust or iron color inside. Still has a powder smell.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm confused, you found one (1) mayo jar that is labeled 4895 AND 4064?   If so, that's a blended powder.  My public advise in such a manner, would be just to toss it.  It's only a lb, which only means a hundred or so rounds worth of 30-06 rounds.  That's worth about $20 or so in powder.  $20.  Who cares?

Considering you'll need to test with care, then come home, and test some more; that's a lot of screwing around for not much powder.  If it were an 8# jug, it might be worth the bother, but 1#?  If it were me, that's fertilizer or fire-start for the grill.  

If you're Hell bent to try it, look up the minimum recommended charge for each powder - use the smaller of the two, and I guess there you go.  Not that I suggest it; whoever's powder that was was pretty damned sloppy in labeling, and very questionable in how they chose to store it (a glass jar?  bad idea).  Who knows what else they half-assed in handling/labeling it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm confused, you found one (1) mayo jar that is labeled 4895 AND 4064?   If so, that's a blended powder.  My public advise in such a manner, would be just to toss it.  It's only a lb, which only means a hundred or so rounds worth of 30-06 rounds.  That's worth about $20 or so in powder.  $20.  Who cares?

Considering you'll need to test with care, then come home, and test some more; that's a lot of screwing around for not much powder.  If it were an 8# jug, it might be worth the bother, but 1#?  If it were me, that's fertilizer or fire-start for the grill.  

If you're Hell bent to try it, look up the minimum recommended charge for each powder - use the smaller of the two, and I guess there you go.  Not that I suggest it; whoever's powder that was was pretty damned sloppy in labeling, and very questionable in how they chose to store it (a glass jar?  bad idea).  Who knows what else they half-assed in handling/labeling it.
View Quote
Sorry. 2 mayo jars. 1 jar of 4064 and 1 jar of 4895
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top