Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2017 7:30:31 PM EDT
Went and bought a new set of RCBS 223 dies after work. Came home, sprayed my brass with HOS again, tore down the die and cleaned it. After wiping it dry I hit the inside with HOS and allowed to dry.

Reluctantly I began resizing. It went like butter. I then trimmed, cleaned and decrimped the primer pockets, chamfered/deburred, and hit all with the flash hole uniformer.

Now I'm ready to prime them and reload.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
That's good. I admit I haven't read your other thread yet and am wondering why a stuck case had to lead you to buying another die set.

Motor
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Motor, it's a short, funny story. After pissing me off I turned into a bull in a China shop.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I went and read it.

Some die makers will gladly fix or replace your die that has the case stuck in it contact their customer support.

I fix stuff broke off in holes a good bit now that I'm no longer in manufacturing and in a repair and overhaul type job. It can be lots of fun at times especially when what you are working on is worth more than everything you own. LOL

I've been using my Rockchucker II since 1985. These presses have awesome feedback. I stuck one case maybe 2 in all those years. The biggest reason I haven't stuck any more than that is because of the great feedback from the press.

I know instantly when not to "push it" just back off and lube it some more. Of course after doing something the exact same way for that many years you have all 5 senses providing feedback on how things are going.

Motor
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#4]
It's an RCBS die, is that worth fixing?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#5]
RCBS has customer support second to none. Call them. They will likely do one of two things.

One. Send you a new die free of charge.

Two. Ask you to ship them your die, then send you a new one free of charge.

When I was young, fresh out of machinist school I had trouble with a full length sizing die and someone suggested that a machine a few thousands off of the base.

This did not fix the issue. After failing to find just a sizing die I contacted RCBS customer support and explained what I had done and that I didn't want to buy a complete set because I only needed the sizing die but couldn't find one for sale anywhere.

I ask them to sell me a sizing die only. They told me to send them the die that I altered so I did. A couple weeks later I got a package in the mail. It was a brand new full length sizing die along with a letter thanking me for using their products.

This was probably 25 years ago and from what I've seen they are still as good as ever.

Motor
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Why are you using HOS(ED) again, when that's what caused your stuck case to begin with?  

I recommend a better Hornady lube:  Unique.   I've been using it for almost 15 years and have never had a stuck case.

So what did you do with your first set of dies?  I'll be happy to give them a new home!
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Texan, after looking at my die and then having success today I'm thinking that I did something else wrong. I was given those dies and never used them, this was the first time. After a closer inspection I'm thinking that they were simply dirty.

It's only the resizing die. I'm going to do what Motor suggested and get it fixed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top