Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2017 2:29:21 PM EDT
I just bought my 8 year old daughter a TC Venture Compact and sat down last night to begin the development of some loads. I also just bought a Lyman Ezee Case Trimmer that I could put on my drill. So I hit all of my brass with One Shot and resize the first piece of brass. Switch over to the Ezee Trim and give that a try. Everything worked like a charm.

So now I'm going to resize all 100 cases and then switch to trimming all 100 cases in the next step. I place my 2nd piece of brass in my Rock Chucker and notice that it's a little rough going in. When I go to pull it out it's really rough now. All of the sudden the case head pulls out of the shellholder destroying the case head. (Yes, it was the correct shellholder)

From talking with some other guys I believe that what I did wrong was not allowing the One Shot to properly dry prior to resizing.  So after a trip to Lowe's after work to pick up a 1/4"-20 tap, I should be back in business tonight.

Lesson learned, but man was I pissed last night.  I told the wife, "F&&* it!  I'll just buy two boxes of ammo, shoot it in, and that's what she'll use."  LOL
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just bought my 8 year old daughter a TC Venture Compact and sat down last night to begin the development of some loads. I also just bought a Lyman Ezee Case Trimmer that I could put on my drill. So I hit all of my brass with One Shot and resize the first piece of brass. Switch over to the Ezee Trim and give that a try. Everything worked like a charm.

So now I'm going to resize all 100 cases and then switch to trimming all 100 cases in the next step. I place my 2nd piece of brass in my Rock Chucker and notice that it's a little rough going in. When I go to pull it out it's really rough now. All of the sudden the case head pulls out of the shellholder destroying the case head. (Yes, it was the correct shellholder)

From talking with some other guys I believe that what I did wrong was not allowing buying the One Shot to properly dry prior to resizing.  So after a trip to Lowe's after work to pick up a 1/4"-20 tap, I should be back in business tonight.

Lesson learned, but man was I pissed last night.  I told the wife, "F&&* it!  I'll just buy two boxes of ammo, shoot it in, and that's what she'll use."  LOL
View Quote
LOL, FIFY

Seriously, I think most folks are gonna click on this thread just to see and say " Yup, One Shot strikes again"

I have had two stuck cases in 25 years of reloading. Both times, One Shot.
I am a slow learner, at times.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The only time I've had a stuck case was a similar situation with One Shot.  I prefer Dillon Case Lube or the homemade equivalent.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been hearing that about One Shot. And of course I just bought another can.

Well I tried to do it but this bull in the China shop fugged it up. Time for a new 223 resizing die.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Hornady ONE STUCK Strikes again!

It works just fine if the testosterone fueled users would read the directions!  We don't need no stinking directions they say!  Oh yeah!  
Stuck Case City!

HOS is good for one thing!  Misting handgun cases before going into the Dillon Case Feeder on my 650!  Nothing else!  Just  makes sizing a tad easier and less operator fatigue!

Get some Dillon Spray Lube or use Imperial Die Wax!
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the Imperial Wax but bought HOS for doing mass quantities of brass for the AR.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been hearing that about One Shot. And of course I just bought another can.

Well I tried to do it but this bull in the China shop fugged it up. Time for a new 223 resizing die.
View Quote
LOL, always seems to work that way, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Next time you go to harbor freight or pass one, get a hf easy out equivalent kit. They work well for backing out stuck brass if you go slow and shoot some oil around chamber
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#9]
home-brew Dillon style case lube, is the way to go...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Case-Lube-for-cheap-bastards/42-305174/
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Just an FYI...

so you don't do like what I did and booger up the decapping assembly of your die....

loosen the decapping die as much as you can  and when the die is upside down let the decapping rod drop down as much as it can.

If you can drill with a drill press and clamp the die in place that would be ideal.

What I noticed with a handheld drill is that  once the bit makes it through the case head, it pulls hard and fast the whole drill downward.  If you don't have a vise to lock the die into upside down, you can always unscrew it from your press, and then re-insert from inside the press, upside down, and screw it upward into the press.  The the brass headstamp will be facing your ceiling.

So the point of the bit wrecks your decapping pin and/or decapping rod assembly...if you're not careful with a handheld drill.

Then you're really screwed unless you have a replacement on hand already.

You will also need a 1/4 X 20 tpi bolt, a flat or fender washer and a spacer...could be a conduit connector/coupler or a socket.  IIRC, I think last time I used an 18mm deep well socket.

I ended up making my own clone of the Dillon case lube using liquid lanolin and HEET in the red bottle from wally world's automotive section.  Also while at wally world I picked up a clear plastic spray or squirter bottle that has graduations on it.

I put my .233 brass in an aluminum, rectangular baking pan.  I get the brass all lined up nice and neat next to each other with the headstamps touching the long "wall" of the baking pan.  Then I give them a misting with the homemade lube.  Then I go do something else for like 10 or 15 minutes.  I guess that gives the alcohol time to flash off.  Then I very carefully tip one end of the pan up so the brass rolls to the other end of the pan.  Then I give them another misting...letting the alcohol evaporate for 10 or 15 minutes before dumping the pan into my 650's casefeeder.

The other thing I will do is squirt WD40 or Kroil up into my dies and then swirl a Qtip up inside them.  That gets a lot of the crude out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
All of the sudden the case head pulls out of the shellholder destroying the case head. (Yes, it was the correct shellholder)

From talking with some other guys I believe that what I did wrong was not allowing the One Shot to properly dry prior to resizing.  
View Quote

Yep.  Seems everyone I know that has used OneShot has stuck a case before they learned that it has to be allowed to dry before sizing.  It's a lesson I'm sorry you had to learn, but its sure that you won't ever forget it.

I now use Hornady Unique.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just an FYI...

so you don't do like what I did and booger up the decapping assembly of your die....

loosen the decapping die as much as you can  and when the die is upside down let the decapping rod drop down as much as it can.

If you can drill with a drill press and clamp the die in place that would be ideal.

What I noticed with a handheld drill is that  once the bit makes it through the case head, it pulls hard and fast the whole drill downward.  If you don't have a vise to lock the die into upside down, you can always unscrew it from your press, and then re-insert from inside the press, upside down, and screw it upward into the press.  The the brass headstamp will be facing your ceiling.

So the point of the bit wrecks your decapping pin and/or decapping rod assembly...if you're not careful with a handheld drill.

Then you're really screwed unless you have a replacement on hand already.

You will also need a 1/4 X 20 tpi bolt, a flat or fender washer and a spacer...could be a conduit connector/coupler or a socket.  IIRC, I think last time I used an 18mm deep well socket.

I ended up making my own clone of the Dillon case lube using liquid lanolin and HEET in the red bottle from wally world's automotive section.  Also while at wally world I picked up a clear plastic spray or squirter bottle that has graduations on it.

I put my .233 brass in an aluminum, rectangular baking pan.  I get the brass all lined up nice and neat next to each other with the headstamps touching the long "wall" of the baking pan.  Then I give them a misting with the homemade lube.  Then I go do something else for like 10 or 15 minutes.  I guess that gives the alcohol time to flash off.  Then I very carefully tip one end of the pan up so the brass rolls to the other end of the pan.  Then I give them another misting...letting the alcohol evaporate for 10 or 15 minutes before dumping the pan into my 650's casefeeder.

The other thing I will do is squirt WD40 or Kroil up into my dies and then swirl a Qtip up inside them.  That gets a lot of the crude out.
View Quote
Thanks Weimaraner, that's a lot of good information. Unfortunately I already screwed it up ,have a bent rod, and a case with a chunk of drill bit broke off in it with no way to get the case out.

I'm looking at the Lee Ultimate 4 Die Set. It says that you don't need to lube the cases with these die.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#13]
The only cases I have ever had stick are 5.56.  I even load a WSM with no issue.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks Weimaraner, that's a lot of good information. Unfortunately I already screwed it up ,have a bent rod, and a case with a chunk of drill bit broke off in it with no way to get the case out.

I'm looking at the Lee Ultimate 4 Die Set. It says that you don't need to lube the cases with these die.
View Quote
read it again, it says you dont need case lube for the NECK SIZER  https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/UltimateRifleDies.pdf

Rifle cases require case lube.  most of us are making the home brew dillon style, posted above.

maybe try some Dillon lube, it's good stuff.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3020
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Not sure if it makes a difference but I was resizing Lake City 556 brass in the 223 die.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

read it again, it says you dont need case lube for the NECK SIZER  https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/UltimateRifleDies.pdf

Rifle cases require case lube.  most of us are making the home brew dillon style, posted above.

maybe try some Dillon lube, it's good stuff.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3020
View Quote
I read it Derek. I have several thousand pieces of once fired brass that would initially need to be full length sized anyways.

I'll check into that homemade lube you all have mentioned.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#17]
yep,  full length resizing is what you want in an AR15 or other semi auto ( or full auto  )

using too little case lube on rifle resizing is a mistake many have made,  i remember the frustration well   . . . LOL
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
yep,  full length resizing is what you want in an AR15 or other semi auto ( or full auto  )

using too little case lube on rifle resizing is a mistake many have made,  i remember the frustration well   . . . LOL
View Quote
Lol And now it's my turn.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#20]
More "One Shot is Shxx" posts.

Hate to disappoint you, but I've used nothing but One Shot on tens of thousands of

once fired LC 5.56, thousands of once fired LC 7.62, and no one knows how many tens of thousands of pistol rounds.

Never, ever, ever had a stuck case.

So what am I doing that the case stickers are not?

Maybe reading directions.

Sorry to go off, but get a bit irked at people bad mouthing a good product because THEY screwed up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
More "One Shot is Shxx" posts.

Hate to disappoint you, but I've used nothing but One Shot on tens of thousands of

once fired LC 5.56, thousands of once fired LC 7.62, and no one knows how many tens of thousands of pistol rounds.

Never, ever, ever had a stuck case.

So what am I doing that the case stickers are not?

Maybe reading directions.

Sorry to go off, but get a bit irked at people bad mouthing a good product because THEY screwed up.
View Quote
And I have no doubt that I most likely screwed up.  No, I haven't read the directions, perhaps I should.  I just point, shoot, wait several seconds and get to work.  Maybe I should read the directions and wait a little longer prior to resizing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Glad it's working for you

if you're doing tens of thousands of rounds, that ONE SHOT can get very expensive

the dillon style home-brew is the best choice for higher volume reloaders
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Another happy user of the homebrew

I have used oneshot, and others .... the homebrew simply lubes far better imo and that is why I use it...as do quite a few others for 8 years running on the aforementioned thread.    

What defines "better" will range by user, and ymmv, no problem .... but better for me means most consistent/easily obtained headspace/sizing results, ease of use, ease of cleanup, and proven not to degrade ammo.

And the added kicker beyond lubing better is .... the homebrew is cheaper than store bought, and much cheaper compared to aerosols/one shot, which is really nice when doing volume.  

Users should use  what works best for them ...... homebrew works best for me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Huh.

I always am able to do things others say you cant or shouldn't.

I use one shot exclusively to do multiple Ks of .223 and 300blk. I don't let it dry.  Dont tumble it off either.  Works every time.  Had one stuck case ever but was my fault for too little lube and continuing to push the case in the die despite resistance.

I also don't trim rifle brass if below max length. Not worth the time.

Lock calipers to 1.760, resize my brass, if it fits it gets loaded if it doesn't it goes in my trim bucket which has been growing for 2 years now. I'll trim it all one day when I buy a premium trimmer.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Had two stuck cases in the first month of reloading.  First time I boogered up the die like you did.  Second time I used the rcbs kit to remove.

Switched to home brew and it's smooth as butter.

I learned the hard way, you can't "muscle through" when reloading. Stop, think, check, double check, then act.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks Torch, that's a lesson that I too am learning.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone ever try PB-Blaster?

Remove decapping rod and assembly.

Remove from press, soak in pb-blaster for a few  minutes.

Reinstall upside down in press or vise, use a small punch and hammer, tap, tap, tap.
It will basically fall out.  

Wax user here, no more stuck cases.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top