Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2017 7:28:50 PM EDT
yesterday I was resizing some 6.5 creedmoor brass (Hornady)
everything went smooth.

after finishing up I took the decapping pin out and cleaned it, cleaned the die body too.
by cleaning I mean I sprayed it with ballistol and wiped it off.

Today I got some virgin 6.5 brass (hornady)
started up like normal, first peice was a little sticky so I lubed the 2nd one up a little more. I am using imperial sizing wax.
2nd one went ok
3rd one went good then when I pulled the brass out of the die the decapping pin fell down. moved it back in and tightened it back down.

next piece of brass crushed. crap.
lubed the next one up real good - used a Q tip to get some wax in the case neck more. crushed again.
took the decapping pin out, investigated. wiped the die out. put a little wax on the expander ball.
lubed up the 3rd case, crushed again.

never had this happen with anything else, ive loaded a few hundred rounds with these dies also.
All I can think of is maybe I got a bad batch of brass with soft shoulders?

anyway, after crushing the 3rd case on virgin brass I determined it was time to walk away.

pics

Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the height of your decapping pin. It looks like maybe the sizer portion of the pin and the neck sizing portion of the die might be hitting the case mouth at the same time.

Pin should go through unsized case mouth, die then sizes down case neck, expander comes back up through neck and expands it to desired diameter. If the pin is set too high both of these things try to happen at once, things bind and the case crushes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check the height of your decapping pin. It looks like maybe the sizer portion of the pin and the neck sizing portion of the die might be hitting the case mouth at the same time.

Pin should go through unsized case mouth, die then sizes down case neck, expander comes back up through neck and expands it to desired diameter. If the pin is set too high both of these things try to happen at once, things bind and the case crushes.
View Quote
That's exactly what it was.

I thought I had the decapping pin far enough down but evidently not. Live and learn I guess.

Strange part is none of my other dies have to have the pin that far down. Guess these dies have some super tight tolerances.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:34:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:24:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually I'd say looking at the length of the expander compared to the length of the casing it would be an easy mistake to make.

I agree with dryflash3,  nice observation by the first to reply.

Motor
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top