Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2017 12:04:08 PM EDT
What variables should I look to eliminate in setting up an electronic scale (in this case the Gempro 250)?

I don't know what happened but recently I started to get readings (after calibration) that were in some cases only 90 percent of the true mass.

I don't have any florescent lights around the reloading bench.

The only calibration weight I have came with the press (20 gram).

I use the A/C power adapter to the press.

This naturally concerns me as I got LAZY and didn't verify a new load with my beam scale.  Instead of 22 gr of powder I was throwing 24.6gr.  The added recoil is what made me go .

In other words, pretty much a textbook example of what not to do.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Leave it plugged in 24/7 and just turn off the display. Needs time to warm up before calibrating. By leaving it on it's always warmed up. I suggest buying a scale check weight set. I don't calibrate very often or ever. I always use my check weights to verify before loading and my GemPro and Pact electronics have never needed calibration except when new. I used to calibrate every loading session until someone recommended to leave them plugged in, tare then verify the weight given is accurate. Great advice.  If nothing helps, send it back. I would definitely buy a scale check weight set. I have Lyman's. I believe GemPro's have a lifetime warranty?  Wouldn't use electronics or balance beam without check weights.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I use check weights and (almost) never calibrate my gem pro.  Check weights are one of those things you just need to buy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah, a check weight set.

Ordered!

Thanks!

I didn't think of leaving it plugged in, either.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Once my 250 has been on for over 24 hours, it seems to settle quicker.

I strongly concur with the notion that a check weight set is important.  I DO calibrate my scale, but I use check weights to verify that it tracks linearly.  So far, not an issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top