Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2017 8:38:06 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with "The worlds cheapest trimmer" ?  Any problems?

http://www.newhighpower.com/store/p5/HMR_WCT_.223.html
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks almost identical to what I run, the Possum Hollow

Its fantastic. Put it in the drill, get the drill spinning and go to town. My only minor complaints are

- You can end up with a few brass shavings on the floor. You'll want to stop every 10 or 15 rounds to tip it upside down and tap it a few times
- The hand gets a bit sore if I do lots and lots of trimming. Such is life.

I mean sure I'd rather have the Giruard but for the pric this thing is my go-to trimmer. I would assume the one you've linked is essentially the same.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Giruard makes there tri cut trimmer that you use in a drill press for right around $100. Not only does it trim, but champers interior and exterior. The housing also holds a bunch of brass shaving before need emptying.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:28:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I have no experience with that trimmer, but LEE makes ''The World's Cheapest Trimmer''.

THAT one looks like it will actually work ! At 25 bucks, it's worth a try. Too bad the page you linked to gave no details about how it works and materials it's made from.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Giraud Tri-Way trimmer.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
These help a lot when using a trimmer where you have to hold the brass such as

the old Possum Holler, Giraud etc..

I have a modified Lee hand priming tool I use with the Lee trimmers and a drill.
Lee case trimmer for .223 Rem made easier.

I also have a Giraud Tri-Way trimmer I haven't used yet.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 3:22:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haven't seen you post in a while, thanks for stopping by.
View Quote
I'm always here....lurking....waiting for these trimmer threads.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Giraud Tri-Way trimmer.
View Quote
Love mine. Trim, chamfer and debur all at once.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Does it need lots of adjusting?

I bought one in 223 and never could get it to work. I called Giraud and he gave me some instructions as to how to adjust it but I couldn't see what he was talking about(bas eyesight closeup)so I gave it to a machinist buddy of mine and he couldn't get it to do all the functions either.

In the meantime I bought a 308 3 way trimmer and it worked beautifully for about 50 rounds then it quit cutting the inside(or outside, I don't remember). I, or my buddy(much more mechanical and has better hearing than me)will call him tomorrow or Tuesday then I will be moving on to an older style trimmer.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm sure the tri way trimmers are nice but I'd rather do my own deburring especially the inside where I use a VLD (60') rather than the typical 45'

I've been reloading since 1985 and have been a machinist a few years longer. Too many times I've seen tools get dull. A dull deburring cutter leaves behind a burr of it's own.

Brass is prone to leaving burrs anyway and 45' inside deburring cutters are very prone to leaving burrs. Burrs that shave bullet jackets.

Just something to keep an eye on.

Lately I've been reloading using RCBS X-DIES in .308 Win, 30-06. When you only need to trim once you really don't need to invest in "the latest greatest trimmer" I have the X-Dies in .223 also but have so much brass ready to load that I haven't started using them yet.

I was lucky enough to get a RCBS power trimmer about 12 years from a friend and a RCBS case prep station from my brother. Besides these I have some Lee trimmers and my Lyman that I started with in 1985 that I converted to cordless drill power before I even used it the first time.

I also converted the Lyman into a shim adjust trimmer. I make up shim packs to adjust trim length and put a roller thrust bearing in it but haven't used it much since getting the RCBS and the Lee's.

It all depends on your personal need. I load for many different calibers switching to trimmers that cost $100 per caliber or even $25 per caliber would simply be insane.

Motor
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I sold all my WFT trimmers.  I use a Trim-it II.  It chamfers and deburrs while trimming.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#12]
New reloader here. My cheap trimmers failed one after another. I bought a Hornady bench mount trimmer (semi cheap) I started using on Friday or so. So far so good.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:53:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the Giraurd Triway. I use a 20v Dewalt Drill. Just pop headphones in. I run about 200 cases on one charge. Wear gloves as my hand tends to cramp after awhile. Had the lee one but was too time consuming
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replies.

ND, how old is your triway? Mine were bought recently and I'm wondering if the quality control is slipping.

I'm looking at moving back to my lyman that I started on about 30 years ago, too.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

ND, how old is your triway? Mine were bought recently and I'm wondering if the quality control is slipping.

I'm looking at moving back to my lyman that I started on about 30 years ago, too.
View Quote
About 6 months back. Have trimmed over 3k pieces with no issues at all. Sometime a burr occurs at the end of the brass. Just pull the brass out and make sure your running the trimmer at high speed. When the speed slows down seems when a burr will occur and you have to hold on damn tight to have the cutter remove it
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#16]
No experience with the Holub device.  But from looking at the manufacturer's website, it appears to be a straight-forward design that is almost too simple to not work correctly.  If I only loaded one caliber that I needed to trim, it is certainly something that would attract my interest.  

But, I load several calibers that I need to trim, so when I add up the cost of buying three or four Holub "world's cheapest trimmer", it ceases to be so cheap and I will, in fact, have actually spent more that if I had just gone out and bought a Forster trimmer (or its equivalent) in the first place.

And that was the calculus in 1992 when I decided to skip "cartridge-specific" trimming solutions and bought a lathe-type trimmer.  In my case it was a Forster and it is still running perfectly fine trimming brass.  I keep toying with the idea of getting the adapter for a drill, but since I usually trim brass in batches of 50 or 100, but the time my hand gets tired spinning the cutter, I'm done and I decide I'd rather have that money in my retirement savings account.  

After all, there's no point going into retirement looking at dinner choices of Nine Lives versus Fancy Feast.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#17]
My volume trimming (308 and 223) is done on a Dillon 650.

Everything else is trimmed on a Wilson/Sinclair trimmer.

On my list of wants is a Giraud trimmer for calibers I often shoot, but not enough to trim or can't trim on the Dillon (7x57, 375H&H, 30-06).

I don't care much for the pilot trimmers, nor the plethora of trimmers that require you supply a drill.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anyone have any experience with "The worlds cheapest trimmer" ?  Any problems?

http://www.newhighpower.com/store/p5/HMR_WCT_.223.html
View Quote

2JokersWild is correct.  It does kinda resemble the Possum Hollow Cutter.

I had also bought the tool holder for the PHC.

What I do is use either a Porter-Cable or Milwaukee corded drill.  The two drills actualluy have a metal housing up front where the auxilliary handle screws or mounts to.  That metal part is important because I clamp the drill in a vise.  These two drills also have trigger locks on them, so I can press the trigger to get it running full speed and press another button to keep it running while I take my hands off the drill.

When clamped in the vise, I angle the drill downward just a bit to help the shavings fall out.

What I also use is a can of compressed air with the little straw to blow out the chips.

Like somebody else said, I put in my earbuds, then put my ear muffs over that, and try to rock out while trimming brass that way.  It is loud and mind numbingly boring.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm sure the tri way trimmers are nice but I'd rather do my own deburring especially the inside where I use a VLD (60') rather than the typical 45'

I've been reloading since 1985 and have been a machinist a few years longer. Too many times I've seen tools get dull. A dull deburring cutter leaves behind a burr of it's own.

Brass is prone to leaving burrs anyway and 45' inside deburring cutters are very prone to leaving burrs. Burrs that shave bullet jackets.

Just something to keep an eye on.

Lately I've been reloading using RCBS X-DIES in .308 Win, 30-06. When you only need to trim once you really don't need to invest in "the latest greatest trimmer" I have the X-Dies in .223 also but have so much brass ready to load that I haven't started using them yet.

I was lucky enough to get a RCBS power trimmer about 12 years from a friend and a RCBS case prep station from my brother. Besides these I have some Lee trimmers and my Lyman that I started with in 1985 that I converted to cordless drill power before I even used it the first time.

I also converted the Lyman into a shim adjust trimmer. I make up shim packs to adjust trim length and put a roller thrust bearing in it but haven't used it much since getting the RCBS and the Lee's.

It all depends on your personal need. I load for many different calibers switching to trimmers that cost $100 per caliber or even $25 per caliber would simply be insane.

Motor
View Quote
I also prefer my own deburring.

I do each task on an RCBS universal case prep center.  It's a little slower but more consistent for me and worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top