Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/14/2017 3:54:35 PM EDT
What sort of things do you use the single stage press for?

I've been reading everything I can find online about buying a first reloading press, and I was about to pull the trigger on a Lee Classic Turret.  But I see so many suggestions to buy a single stage press, I wonder if it would be worth having both.  Although, it sounds like I could use the turret press as a single stage, so I'm not clear what the point would be.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I've been reading everything I can find online about buying a first reloading press, and I was about to pull the trigger on a Lee Classic Turret.  But I see so many suggestions to buy a single stage press, I wonder if it would be worth having both.  Although, it sounds like I could use the turret press as a single stage, so I'm not clear what the point would be.
View Quote

I'd get the turret.  If I had the money for both, I'd get a Dillon 550.  I learned how to reload on a 550. I now have a 640 and a single stage, I do use a single stage for precision .308 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Single stage for precision work and for things like pre-forming 5.56 brass that you're converting to 300blk.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My current situation:

Dillon 650:
All pistol calibers = mass production

Rock Chucker:
Rifle cartridges

What I'd like to eventually do is set up the 650 for rifle brass processing.   I'd still use the single stage for load development or rounds that I don't need to crank out 1,000 at a time.
View Quote
This is very close to my situation, I have either bought or inherited five presses.  Lee Classic Cast for precision, and a Hornady LNL for pistol ammo and practice .223
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on intended use.

I know the common advice is "start with a single stage", but I started with a progressive and I lived to tell the tale. The thing is when I started my only intent was to load a whole bunch of pistol ammo, as I was shooting IDPA at the time. If I had started with a single stage I doubt I'd still be reloading- I cannot imagine loading several thousand rounds on a single stage. Then the reloading bug bite me and off I went. Once I started loading for accuracy out of a rifle I saw the benefits of a single stage, though I did load some damn good ammo on the progressive before I picked up the SS.

Now everything rifle is loaded on the single stage, but I don't load "plinking" ammo for rifle. I expect MOA or better out of that ammo.

I still use the progressive for all pistol ammo except SD loads, .454 Casull and 10mm.

If let us know what you're planning on doing with it, you'll probably get better advice.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#6]
It'd be most likely used for the following;

Experimenting with 9mm and 45acp loads, for better accuracy  

9mm and 45acp subsonic ammo

Once I find loads I like, loading 100-200 at a time

Loading 300 BLK and 6.5 CM.  But again, in smaller batches, trying to develop for accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#7]
At that volume with those goals, I think the turret would serve you well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It'd be most likely used for the following;

Experimenting with 9mm and 45acp loads, for better accuracy  

9mm and 45acp subsonic ammo

Once I find loads I like, loading 100-200 at a time

Loading 300 BLK and 6.5 CM.  But again, in smaller batches, trying to develop for accuracy.
View Quote
At least a turret, 550 or 650 would be better.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Lee Pro 1000 progressive and a Challenger single stage.
1. 45ACP, after cleaning, I load on progressive and crimp on single stage.
2. 223, deprime and size on single stage, after trimming,  load on progressive with no die in first stage.
3. 300BO, deprime and size on single stage, clean, flare and load on single stage because progressive damages case mouth. Lee doesn't have flaring powder thru die that I've seen. 
4. Hunting rounds on single stage, low volume,not worth the time for set up. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
lee classic turret is the way to go, I've used one for 5 years or so, it's stupid easy to set up and very versitile.
my brother has had 4 or 5 other presses in that time and they all seem more complex to set up. he also has a single stage lee press that is handy to have for de-priming, bullet pulling and sizing 300BO brass.
he does have a hornady press that will load around 500 rounds of 380,9,40 an hour where about the most I can get with the Lee classic is 200 an hour.
honestly I'm really glad cheap ammmo is back
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't buy a single stage and a turret.  They'd be redundant.

If you buy "both", make it a Dillon progressive (like a 550) and either a single stage or a turret press.  I'd advise a turret as the second press but a single stage would suffice.

The Dillon presses will load everything as well as you are able to load them on a single stage but it does it faster.  Faster is better, as long as quality is maintained (hence, the recommendation for a Dillon).

The turret will hold all your odd-ball dies such as a universal decapping die, neck expanding mandrels, Instant Indicator, etc.  A single stage can also handle the odd-ball work but the turret is more convenient.  

BTW, I run a Dillon 550B, a Redding T-7 turret and just recently gave away an RCBS single stage press.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Single stage for load development/precision rounds, 550 for everything else.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a lee turret press and an rcbs single stage press that I have a bullet puller on.  This setup works great for me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a Lee Pro 1000 progressive and a Challenger single stage.
1. 45ACP, after cleaning, I load on progressive and crimp on single stage.
2. 223, deprime and size on single stage, after trimming,  load on progressive with no die in first stage.
3. 300BO, deprime and size on single stage, clean, flare and load on single stage because progressive damages case mouth. Lee doesn't have flaring powder thru die that I've seen. 
4. Hunting rounds on single stage, low volume,not worth the time for set up. 
View Quote
This, minus the .45.

I use my Lee turret for anything that I'd do separate from my Dillon 650.  Such as:

- All rifle sizing/depriming.  I like to clean my brass after that step to get the lube off, so I run it through the turret, wash it, dry it, then through the 650 for every step after that.

- Oddball calibers, like my .300 Win Mag (that I load 100 rounds about every three years for)

- Neck flaring for my subsonic .300Blk lead rounds prior to loading (though I load on my 650, seems to work for me)

- Precision rifle loads (the 650 tends to be too sloppy for this application).

I like the turret press because I don't have to fiddle with the die settings every time--just lock the turret in place and go, and switching between dies or steps is a breeze.  A friend of mine has the Hornady lock N load system on his single-stage that does pretty much the same thing, it's a good system as well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Started with a turret, Then bought a 650, just bought a Co-Ax

650 for all things pistol, 5.56 and blackout

I still use the turret for converting brass

Co-Ax for all things precision! Take 2 seconds to swap dies.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Started with Lee single stage for .223 and .308.
Moved to a Lee turret when I added pistol rounds.
Now have Hornady LnL AP for everything, use the Lee turret press as single stage for bulge busting and bullet pulling, and the single stage sits on a shelf for emergency backup, and fond memories.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I have 550b and XL650

I use my old LEE Turret press like a single stage, by removing the twisty rod.

the LEE Turret press is a great starter press.

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I struggled to find a use for the autoindexing type turret presses.

For me you either need a single stage or a progressive. I don't really see the point of the turret bc it's not nearly as fast as a progressive in loading bulk and not nearly as precise (generally speaking) as a single stage.

I usually run the Hornady LNL AP and the LNL classic. I also have a Lee single stage that I typically use for resizing cast boolits.

The exception to the turret rule is the Redding T7. I also have one of those and absolutely love it. I use it loading precision ammo because I can switch between a measuring die and the bullet seating die. So I can make every single bullet precisely 0.0XX" off the lands very quickly.

I have a few presses and they each serve their purpose. I just couldn't find a purpose for a antoindexing turret as it's decent at most things but not really the best at any of them. I have owned the Lee turret and sold it after a month or so. Wasn't impressed at all.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I load all of my rifle ammo on my single stage, and all of my pistol ammo on my 650. 

No way would I load pistol ammo on a single stage anymore. It wasn't bad when all I had was a .38 Special. Throw in 9mm, .40, 10mm, and .45ACP and it's was easier to run 1k-2k in a batch and change it over for the next one. Now that I have a 650 I shoot a lot more too. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok, I think I'll go with the Lee Classic turret kit.  And then if it looks like I could use a single stage down the line, I can always add it.

I just don't want to spend the money on a Dillon to start out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ok, I think I'll go with the Lee Classic turret kit.  And then if it looks like I could use a single stage down the line, I can always add it.

I just don't want to spend the money on a Dillon to start out.
View Quote
Just a word of caution - you are headed down the path towards buying three presses.  You may not want to "spend the money on a Dillon" but in the long run, you will spend more than you have to.  That's totally okay, too, just so long as you are aware of the implications (informed purchase).

I disagree with dryflash's admonition that you have to have a single stage for precision ammo.  My Dillon loads ammo as consistent and straight as any press I own.  It is all in the dies and the set up (as long as you have any decent press).  

A Dillon 550 is easily used as a single stage press. if you want to start slowly, the 550 is the way to go.  

One thing that is cool about buying quality reloading gear - it never wears out and can be resold with minimal loss if you change your mind.  LEE might be the exception but their stuff does work, no doubt about it.  Well, most of it works.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:51:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a 550, a Square Deal B and a single stage.  The SDB is for pistol, the 550 for rifle, and the single stage is for brass prep, bullet sizing, and all of the other things that are a pita to do on a progressive.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:19:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just a word of caution - you are headed down the path towards buying three presses.  You may not want to "spend the money on a Dillon" but in the long run, you will spend more than you have to.  That's totally okay, too, just so long as you are aware of the implications (informed purchase).

I disagree with dryflash's admonition that you have to have a single stage for precision ammo.  My Dillon loads ammo as consistent and straight as any press I own.  It is all in the dies and the set up (as long as you have any decent press).  

A Dillon 550 is easily used as a single stage press. if you want to start slowly, the 550 is the way to go.  

One thing that is cool about buying quality reloading gear - it never wears out and can be resold with minimal loss if you change your mind.  LEE might be the exception but their stuff does work, no doubt about it.  Well, most of it works.  
View Quote
Listen to this advice. Exactly what happen to me. Started with Lee single stage, then wanted something faster and got the Lee turret. It wasnt too much faster than a progressive and the quality was not that great, so I upgraded to a progressive.

After a couple of months of staring at the turret I realized there's not much need for it. Also, the classic turret uses a plastic insert to index the press. Yes, there is a plastic piece that rides on the square rod in the middle of the press that causes the indexing. Guess what happens when the plastic wears out... It's dead Jim. Sure you can buy a bunch and keep them on hand to repair, but having such an important task rely on a plastic insert just doesn't bode well with me.

Just save your money for a couple of months and buy a 550, 650, LNL AP or get a real turret like the T7 that will never wear out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Single stage for resizing rifle brass and for precision loads.   Then tumble and trim the resized brass, and run it in the progressive.  Pistol ammo is progressive-only.

A decent progressive will make about as a good as a single-stage, for all but the most serious ammo.  

Personally, I kind of like the Hornady system, because the LnL system lets you move dies around really easy between the different presses.  I think the Hornady progressive is a pretty decent one and am happy with mine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I use my single stage To decap my rifle cases. Some of those crimped primers are really hard to push out. Didn't want to put all that strain on my turret press.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I use the single stage for sizing rifle brass and loading low volume stuff I don't have a conversion for the 550 yet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I used a turret only for a few years, my early years of not loading too much due to life and stuff.

Then, I picked up a RCBS rock chucker and it sort of jump started my reloading again. It was all I used for rifle reloading. Pistol was still on the Turret.

Then I lucked into 2 Dillon 550Bs and I unmounted the turret and it is laying below the bench in limbo waiting for the day I decide to sell it or mount it again. The 550s are more consistent, faster and physically easier to use than the turret was. I have even used the 550s to form 22TCM from 556 blanks without issue.

The rock chucker is still there, I still use it for my 300 RSAUM, and I will use it when I teach my friend how to load for his 30-06. It holds shoulder set back to +-.001 and is very reliable. I will probably never sell it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I have several progressives and a single stage.  I started reloading on a xl650 but quickly learned that load development is a pita on the progressive.  Having to vary the powder charge is guess and check which gets old on the progressive.  Got a single stage for load development and precision rounds.  Once I find a load that I like, I will set the progressive up to those specifications and load away.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I have 2 single stages presses. The first has a collet bullet puller for pulling rifle bullets and I also use it for priming rifle brass. The other I use for Lee push through sizing dies for sizing cast bullets.

I have a Lee Classic Turret Press on a Lee Reloading stand, this is my "inside the house press" setup in my office so I can load ammo when it's hot as blazes out. Mostly the low volume stuff, .25 acp, .32 acp, 7.62 Tokarev, 9mm Makarov, .380 acp, .38 special, .40 and .357 sig. I've been loading .223 this summer as well using prepped, primed brass.

Dillon 550b.  Normally used for loading .223, .308 and .50 beowulf. I use completely prepped and primed rifle brass.

Dillon 650xl: 9mm , .45 and .223 and .308 brass prep. Size, Swage and Trim.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a Dillon 650 that I load 9mm and bulk 223 on. I use my 550 for my 6.8 and 45. Have a Redding T-7 for precision loads in 223, 308,  and 6.5 Grendal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Redding T-7 is relegated to body sizing. Cases then go to tumbler for lube removal and on to the 550 for neck sizing/loading. I do this exactly the same for both single shot and automatic rifles.

Pistol is all SDB.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:24:35 AM EDT
[#37]
I have 4 Hornady Ammo-plants 1 Hornady single stage and a Lee 4 hole turret press with auto index. Now I load on the Ammo-plants and decap and resize on the ss it is also used when I need to pull bullets.
Now the reason I have the turret is that when I find someone that is interested in getting into reloading, I want to give them a good read on presses.

Some folks think a ss is plenty fast enough, others think if it takes that long to make a round they might as well buy factory. Some folks love a progressive but others are scared to death of it. Now the turret is a good in between press. And it is easier to teach how to set dies.

The last thing I want to do is leave a new potential loader to walk away from this hobby, just because they didn't see what would fit them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#38]
I went from a Lee Classic Turret Press to the Dillon XL650, and I still keep the Lee around for load workups and test rounds. Works great for that.

I don't think it is a waste of money at all. You can buy the press by itself for just north of $100, so if you decide to get rid of it later, you are only out $100 or so, less if you sell it.

I use the InLine Fabrication Quick Change mounting system (on one of their Ultra Mounts) so I can switch presses back and forth between the Lee for load workups and test rounds, a Forster Co-Ax for precision loading (coming), an RCBS APS Bench Mounted Priming System, and the Dillon XL650. Very nice to be able to swap out presses and accessories as needed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a redding single stage, next to the Lee cast turret, next to two 650's.  

I'm a huge fan of the LCT, I load a lot of calibers, but some of them I just don't shoot much.  They have such low round counts it's not worth setting up on the Dillons.  I find the lee turret to be a great combo of speed and easy caliber swaps.  I can sit down and load for a few hours and produce enough ammo to last me a few years.  I like the single stage for utility work, sizing large rifle cases, pulling bullets and precision loading. 
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Used my single stage press for depriming and sizing.  Maybe a crimp die here and there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#41]
There is only one Turret press to buy!  It begins and ends with the Redding T7

Redding T7
FL sizing to keep crap off the Dillon's!
Doing load work ups of handgun rounds
Loading of precision ammo

RL550
I do 9MM
Bulk 223

XL650
I do 45 ACP

You will always have a need for single stage press!  Conversion kits cost money, and if a person is loading 2 boxes of 300 Win Mag it makes no sense to for over 80 bucks for 650 conversion, plus the magnum powder bar, plus the Magnum Case Feeder conversion.  Those parts alone pay for RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#42]
I started on my Lee single stage.  I now have a S1050 and use the single stage for load development.  Start with the single stage and get the rudiments of reloading down then upgrade later on to a progressive press.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I've used all of them, including four progressives, in the past 50+ years of handloading. I suppose one can begin handloading on a progressive without problems, but I've always thought a basic handloading background begins with a prerequisite single stage press or possibly a turret if it can be used as a single stage. Also something to consider, nothing is more versatile than a single stage press, particularly for those experimentally inclined with an interest in load development. A turret press can come very close to equaling a single stage in this regard.

Before purchasing a progressive, anticipate how much you will load now and how much you might load in several years. if you don't see a need for a huge volume of ammunition, a turret press may be more than adequate.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#44]
I use the 650 for .40, 223, 308

the CO-Ax for precision rifle, and low volume stuff  

The Lee Challenger for sizing cast bullets after coating, and for running a bullet puller
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm even more confused now.  I was all set to get the Lee Classic Turret, but now I don't know.

I wasn't trying to say I couldn't afford the Dillon, just that I didn't want to spend money unnecessarily.

I'm just trying to find the set-up that makes the most sense.  And I have a friend who can get me a dealer discount on anything.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm even more confused now.  I was all set to get the Lee Classic Turret, but now I don't know.

I wasn't trying to say I couldn't afford the Dillon, just that I didn't want to spend money unnecessarily.

I'm just trying to find the set-up that makes the most sense.  And I have a friend who can get me a dealer discount on anything.
View Quote
Buy a Dillon 550 for the light steps (neck sizing, priming, charging, seating, crimping, or pistol) and a single stage or turret type for the heavy stuff (forming, sizing, etc.).

I wish someone would have recommended me this years ago. I wasted a ton of time messing with everything on a single stage and turret press. With the 550 even when weighing out each charge I load at probably double or triple the rate of a single stage. Using the powder measure I can run 400 rounds per hour just like Dillon says. If you have more time than money or you don't mind spending all day loading a couple hundred rounds then disregard my advice.

I researched a ton and had sold myself on a fully progressive but after even more research the 550 just made more sense.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#47]
The 550 isn't a true progressive?  It has a shell plate, but it's not auto indexing?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The 550 isn't a true progressive?  It has a shell plate, but it's not auto indexing?
View Quote
Correct.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd say it is a true progressive with manual indexing.  That is not a shortcoming.  Rather, it is a feature - one of its best features and one which makes it the ideal press for newbies - you are in complete control.

When your skills improve, the manual indexing is not a limitation on your speed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a XL650 + case feeder and RL450 for reloading.

I have a Lee Classic Cast press I use for case forming 22TCM, 300 BO, and a few other wildcats. I also use it for 5-10 round lots of load development in 458 SOCOM since I have 2 die sets and I'd rather not disturb the Dillon setups.

I also use the Lee for some push through sizing of cast + powdercoat until I can get my Star sizer setup for new calibers.

Back in the day I was taught reloading on a single stage, how to adjust each die for optimum performance. You can start with a progressive if you have good help and patience. If you do start with a single stage, if your bench has enough space once you upgrade to a progressive you will constantly find little things the single stage is useful for.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top