Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2017 10:53:33 AM EDT
I'm wanting to get into reloading for my bolt guns (.308 at the moment, and hopefully .260 or 6.5 creedmoor later) and my scopes ARs. I'm not new to reloading as I use Dillon progressive presses for pistol and .223. I was hoping someone, who is a little more knowledgeable, could give me some options on good presses for what I want to do.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Any quality single stage will load excellent and accurate ammo. You will be a far larger influence on the end product than any piece of equipment you can buy.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any quality single stage will load excellent and accurate ammo. You will be a far larger influence on the end product than any piece of equipment you can buy.
View Quote
I kind of thought so. I assume people obsess over all the newest equipment?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy two cheap single stage presses, use one for bullet seating only so you don't have to constantly adjust the seating die everytime you put it in.  Use the other for everything else.  Consistency is everything once you are shooting more than a few hundred yards.  The cheap lee $40 press is fine, an rcbs partner is about $60 on Amazon and much beefier.  

If you mount your single stage to a hardwood board you can take it to the range and load ammo there to find your best load.  Prepped/Primed brass and a cheap digital scale make loading at the range easy and load development much more efficient.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
This post nailed to the the "T".

The reloader is the biggest single variable in the reloading process.

There are things that you can to tweak the 550 like Whidden tool heads.  Unique Tek clamp kits.  Solo toolhead conversion to make it a single stage.  Anyone with a lick of sense is is not going to pay $55 for conversion kit for obscure cartridges then buy a magnum powder bar when they could buy a $8 shell holder. Or the extra parts to load  magnum rounds on the 650.  Sorry that is senseless no matter how person spins it.

I do not care what others think! Been loading for 44yrs!  A reloader always needs a single stage press.  The costs of the tweaks alone pays for a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme.  And at times on Amazon there are EXCELLENT deals.  And, I have evolved over the years from a Lee Loader for 38's to RCBS JR, to a Dillon 450 morphed into a Dillon 550 and 650 backed up with a Redding T-7 Turret press.  

If you want utility there is the RCBS Summit press which can be converted to an Arbor press with accessory parts.  Most people will lean towards the Forster Co-Ax Press as the gold standard.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two Rock Chuckers mounted next to each other. I have a Lee Classic Cast mounted on another bench. I do the bulk of my resizing operations on the cast iron Lee then trim and tumble the lube off in untreated corn cob. The brass is ready to prime, charge and seat a bullet from that point forward.

Any Cast Iron press will work great. I refuse to buy Lee's pot metal presses and would encourage you not to as well.

Forster full length dies and Ultra-seaters are my favorite followed by Redding's top of the line competition die sets. The Forster's are as good as any (including Redding's), cheaper and they will custom hone the die neck if you want to work the case necks less than as issued. $12.00 plus round trip shipping is all they charge for custom neck honing.

Any cast iron press from Redding, RCBS, Lee and Hornady will serve you well for the rest of your lifetime with minimal maintenance.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm wanting to get into reloading for my bolt guns (.308 at the moment, and hopefully .260 or 6.5 creedmoor later) and my scopes ARs. I'm not new to reloading as I use Dillon progressive presses for pistol and .223. I was hoping someone, who is a little more knowledgeable, could give me some options on good presses for what I want to do.
View Quote

Perhaps you did not know this but you already have what you need.  Your 550 will load ammo that is as accurate and consistent as you could ever hope to get from any press.  I have or had O-frame and C-frame single stage presses.  None is demonstrably better than my 500.

Invest in the best dies you can afford.  Buy a set of Hornady headspace and OAL gages.

If you are OCD about things like powder charge weights (but don't be), invest in a semi-automated trickler and an excellent quality scale.  Even with your 550, you can use the trickler and scale.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Perhaps you did not know this but you already have what you need.  Your 550 will load ammo that is as accurate and consistent as you could ever hope to get from any press.  I have or had O-frame and C-frame single stage presses.  None is demonstrably better than my 500.

Invest in the best dies you can afford.  Buy a set of Hornady headspace and OAL gages.

If you are OCD about things like powder charge weights (but don't be), invest in a semi-automated trickler and an excellent quality scale.  Even with your 550, you can use the trickler and scale.
View Quote
Thank you, I guess I've been caught up the whole mindset of a single stage press is the only thing to be super accurate and consistent. Guess I just need to spend more time with the press I already have.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I started with a cheap ribs single stage press then moved on to a lee turret press that I have multiple turrets set up for the three main caliber that I reload.  I left the single stage set with a bullet puller.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I am very Happy with my New MEC Marksman Press mounted on an Inline Fabrication Ultra Mount.

Watch some of the Videos on youtube about the MEC Marksman.

Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I started loading many years ago on an RCBS jr. press, then a Lyman Orange crush, now I load for my bolt guns on a Forster Co-ax.   I like the Co-ax, easy to use, turns out good ammo - probably better ammo than I am a shooter.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Which Dillon do you have? My 550BL loads 1/2 moa ammo and I shoot at 1k yards regularly. I would guess the ammo is better but I'm the limiting factor. Don't let someone tell you that you can only load precision ammo on a single stage, the guys that say this are probably the same ones that say you need to get all of the copper out of your bore and believe in barrel break in too. It's been proven time and again that you can load precision ammo on a progressive. I would not run out and get a new press unless you just want a new press...
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#12]
A wise man once told me, "Buy a cheap press and expensive dies, that's where the accuracy is." There is an old RCBS Reloader's Special press on ebay for $50 "buy it now". It will probably do everything you need. Get a good set of Foster, Redding , or Whidden dies and get started.

Very good ammo is turned out on progressive presses everyday, it just isn't for me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#13]
The US Palma Team loaded their ammo on Dillon 550s for a number of years (and may still do).  My 308/7.62 rounds got me into the top 20 for Service Rifle - Palma a number of times shooting an M14.

I use a Redding T-7 to small-base re-size (as my ammo goes into both semis and bolt guns inter-changeably) and I can't get low enough on the cases to do that with the 550 shell plate.  I load bullets into primed and powdered cases on the 550 using a Forster Seater as it's faster and the loaded rounds go into the blue box.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I have used the Hornady 00-7, Lee Classic Cast, Redding T-7, and Forster Co-Ax single stage presses as well as Dillon RL550B and S1050B progressives.

For my "match" ammo I have stuck with the Forster Co-Ax as it is very fast to change dies without changing anything about your adjustments.  Next would be the Redding T-7 since you can have 7 dies in the turret at once with no reason to remove them (Sierra uses one for their load development last I heard that had something like 2 million rounds on it and was still in spec).

The Lee is my "beater" press that I use for stuff like plinking 223 where accuracy isn't my main concern.  It isn't a bad press but the others are just nicer in my eyes.

Dies are more important than the press though in the end in my view.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#15]
As others have said, the quality of the dies will have more impact than the "quality" (read: price) of the press.

It's akin to the old adage that Americans put cheap glass on an expensive rifle while Germans put expensive glass on a cheap rifle.

I had a noticeable improvement when I upgraded from a Lee seater to a Redding competition seater, but kept the Lee Challenger press the same.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Which Dillon do you have? My 550BL loads 1/2 moa ammo and I shoot at 1k yards regularly. I would guess the ammo is better but I'm the limiting factor. Don't let someone tell you that you can only load precision ammo on a single stage, the guys that say this are probably the same ones that say you need to get all of the copper out of your bore and believe in barrel break in too. It's been proven time and again that you can load precision ammo on a progressive. I would not run out and get a new press unless you just want a new press...
View Quote
The one I have set up for .308 now is my dads old rl450, I believe. Part of my problem is I don't think I've had enough experience reloading for precision rifle.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a 550 for a great deal last month. I bought it hoping to load Match rifle ammo on it.

I went back and forth for a while, then sold it. Bought a Co-Ax and a bunch of Inline Fabrication mounts. Also, good dies.

I'm picking up a Redding Turret also, people who have them, love them.

I have two flush mounts and a 7 1/2 inch riser mount from inline fabrication so I can switch out presses in 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The one I have set up for .308 now is my dads old rl450, I believe. Part of my problem is I don't think I've had enough experience reloading for precision rifle.
View Quote

I wouldn't get a new press but that just me. Like the others have said get good dies and you'll be good to go. I use both Redding and Forster, I like Redding bushing dies for sizing and Forster competition seaters. I also use a Redding BR3 powder measure since I use extruded powder and I'm happy with my set up. There is really no difference in reloading for precision other then using quality components and making  sure your charge weights are accurate, doesn't have to be exact although that would be great. I keep my loads within .2 of the desired charge and I can hold 1\2 moa at 1k. Read up on OCW and ladder tests, I have done both but I prefer the OCW method.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:52:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I can't say for certain that a Forster Co-Ax turns out any better ammo than a Rockchucker, but I can say I'm very pleased with mine. Between that and the RCBS universal hand primer I haven't bought a shellholder in years. 

Quick change dies, and having the handle on top of the press is a lot better to use than a typical press. The only down side is when I'm loading short cases like .223 I have to run the hand all the way up to release the case. On my old Rockchucker I would only pull it a little ways out of the die. 

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I prefer loading rifle ammo on a single stage. And I have a 650 sitting right next to it. 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks everyone for the advice!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks everyone for the advice!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Here is the one I have been lusting over.  I have 4 presses now.  do I really need another one ?

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-presses/single-stage-presses/lock-n-load-iron-press-loader-manual-prime-prod82573.aspx
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Part of my problem is I don't think I've had enough experience reloading for precision rifle.
View Quote
It's okay, we all understand being in that spot.

Do not expect to buy a press and all of a sudden your ammo is "magically" perfect.  Buy the gages and properly set up the dies in your press.  Use the gages to assess how the set up is working (or not working) and make adjustments.

With decent dies, good brass and good-quality bullets, you will likely get good ammo from the beginning but the ammo can almost certainly be made better.  As your shooting skill improves, you will be able to benefit from better ammo.  If you and your rifle are a 2 MOA system, it is unlikely you will ever see any benefit from the time and money spent.  

Start with the Dillon you have.  Get some good rifle dies (like Redding) and the gages (Hornady).  Go from there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Forster Co-ax presses allow for movement between the shell holder and brass, and at the die/press frame. This allows the brass to center itself in the die.

Their micrometer seater dies have floating alignment sleeves which help keep the bullet and brass in alignment, resulting in very low runout numbers. The micrometer has 0 at center so you can easily change seating depth up and down, and return to 0 when wanted.

Several other brands also offer an alignment sleeve feature, but the Forster dies are hard to beat.

Also- I have loaded ammo in Dillon 650's and 1050's with very low runout numbers as well... Dies and setup technique are probably the most important factors.

It is, however, very nice to have at least one single-stage press.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thank you, I guess I've been caught up the whole mindset of a single stage press is the only thing to be super accurate and consistent. Guess I just need to spend more time with the press I already have.
View Quote
Nope, my 18year old Hornady LNL AP will make the same straight consistent ammo as any of my single stage presses.

The press has very little to do with the quality of ammo you make. There is zero need for big solid monster presses.

Both of these will produce the same quality of ammo.

$130

$330
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#27]
What you need is consistency for accurate reloads !!!

I shot competition from 90's to 98' and used a 6mm PPC and a custom rifle,hart barrel, total Competion bench rest rifle.

All of my best loads loaded on a Dillon 550 ..

I tried my lyman single stage press and was still able to get the  best results using the Dillon 550 .

Save your money for barrels,brass, powder, bullets and practice,then keep on practicing (once you find your  best loads)

Use wind flags,wind meters and the best scope you can afford.

I compared groups loaded on a single station press vs the 550 and the Dillon won every time !!!

I even used the stock powder measure (weighing powder charges enlarged the groups)

Bob White from NJ explained to me that the best accuracy comes from consistant reloads .

Now remember we shot at 100 and 200 yards , 10 shot groups,for the best average totaling 50 rounds per stage.

Later

John
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Nope, my 18year old Hornady LNL AP will make the same straight consistent ammo as any of my single stage presses.

The press has very little to do with the quality of ammo you make. There is zero need for big solid monster presses.

Both of these will produce the same quality of ammo.

$130
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41RF6E473AL._SY400_.jpg

$330
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31RD1FMX5OL._SY400_.jpg
View Quote
I own and use a Co-ax and I wouldn't argue with that, at all.

It was an indulgence that I don't regret, it really is a superbly put together press, but the improvements on target were pretty much zero. Diminishing returns, kinda like a high end 1911....
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Mic 50 round through the presses for concentrically, and consent of ogive point COAL, then get back to us.
View Quote
I have, and I didn't see an appreciable difference in concentricity nor length variation (measured at the ogive) when I went from an LnL single stage to the Forster. This is using Forster and Redding dies in both presses. Then again, I've never been in the habit of cranking the handle to the left or right when loading ammo.

I don't doubt you're correct about the respective designs of the presses, but it would seem to be an easy problem to get around by simply using a straight, consistent pull on the handle as most advise.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Buy Once Cry Once get a coax and you will never look back it is an awesome press!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#32]
The Rounds loaded on my Co-Ax are just as accurate as what I loaded on my Lee Press and my Rockchucker.

I prefer the Co-Ax.  
Speed of die changes.
No shell holders needed.

The Feel is a subjective thing, but once I used a Co-Ax, I bought one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Mic 50 round through the presses for concentrically, and consent of ogive point COAL, then get back to us.

The problem with standard press designs, if you cam the handle off to the side on any of the throws differntly from the other throws, it going to change the height of ram at the cam over point.  If you don't believe me, pull the decapper from a sizer, thread the sizer all the way down to kiss the top of the ram at cam over with a .010" feeler gauge between the two, do a few pulls straight down pulles, then cam the lever over to the sides during the throws, and see the differance of what feeler gauge will fit instead.   Even on a brand new chucker, you can have up to .005" difference to start with of height of ram depending if you pulling the lever straigh down or off to the side, and much worse as the press starts to wear.

Hence this is the huge one that the Co ax resolves from the start with it linkage system, both when the press is brand new, and when the press starts to wear as well; holding your ogive contact Coal to within .001" or less deviations from round to round (so long as your neck ID are consistent, and not the problem with case spring back instead.
View Quote
The handle on the MEC can be turned to be centered on the linkage. It also has a floating shell holder.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Buy Once Cry Once get a coax and you will never look back it is an awesome press!!!!
View Quote
I still love my CO-AX. best invertment I ever made.

I can remember when Dano523 lambasted me for buying it a while ago, and now he even thinks it the shiz-nit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I picked up a Hornady Iron press for loading “match” rifle ammo.

At the time I had a LNL ap, so being able to use the LNL bushings was a plus.

Sold the LNL and got a 650, still use the iron press. I like the frame opening over the standard single stage presses.

Mounted on a inline mount, it’s rock solid.

Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#36]
I have the Co-Ax and it is my go to press.

The only downside is you can't use a collet style, press mounted bullet puller on it. 

For that, I use my Rockchucker.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Another downside of the Co-Axe is ...... (I think) the only way to prime on the press is to load primers one at a time by hand  ... this alone disqualifies it for me.   ymmv.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Another downside of the Co-Axe is ...... (I think) the only way to prime on the press is to load primers one at a time by hand  ... this alone disqualifies it for me.   ymmv.
View Quote
I can confirm that primers would need to be loaded singly. The priming system also looks to be a mild PITA to set up, but I don’t know for sure as I’ve never used it. Not a deal breaker for me because anything I load on the Co-Ax would be primed off press regardless.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
True, but the typical CoAx buyer is rarely a noob, and likely already has other priming options and preferences.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree.  I had a 550B some years ago and loved it but pined for a casefeeder for my rifle calibers.  So, about 10 years ago I sold my 550B and got an XL650 w/casefeeder to produce all my ammo, including my high precision AR loads I shoot apples at 400 yds with.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I prime brass using an RCBS hand primer, the co-ax does a good job at seating primers but it is a PITA to set up.  I prefer the hand primer anyway.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#42]
ERMAHGERD CO-AX!!!111one1!

OK, now that the stupid from me is out of the way...

You do not need a $300+ single stage press to load.  You need a press that will push the bullet in straight and to a specific depth and even a simple Lee Classic Cast can do that with a set of decent quality dies.  

How many of you shoot something like F-Class?  Most guys I know that shoot F-class are loading with something like Rock Chucker, Redding dies, and a CM1500.  They consistently shoot 1/4" groups.  The only commonality I can find when I talk to these guys?  Case prep > all.  Neck tension, consistent bullet seating depth, and uniform flash holes are more important than anything.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for all the info!
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Gah! You guys make it so confusing. I keep reading reloading threads to decide how to go, and I go this way then that. Progressives, singles..

I just want to reload about 1500 .300 BLK rounds a year. Hoping to make better rounds than the Remi UMC 120 supers and 220gr subs, and more cheaply than the $0.70 I'm paying.
I guess since it's just for an 8.1" suppressed SBR I don't have to worry about match grade, but I still want consistent quality ammo.

I'm not averse to spending to make it easier/faster/better, as long as it's well worth it.
View Quote
If that’s all you’ll ever going to load, anything will work.

Get a rcbs/Hornady/whatever single stage

If you’re going to “add on” calibers(which you likely will) or volume get a 650xl.

I started out just planning on doing 40&45.

I know have 4 caliber conversions for my 650 and 3 calibers for my single stage.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes they must be done one at a time.  I just loaded a 90 round batch of '06.  I primed them on the coax.  Very relaxing and good solid primer seating.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If that’s all you’ll ever going to load, anything will work.

Get a rcbs/Hornady/whatever single stage

If you’re going to “add on” calibers(which you likely will) or volume get a 650xl.

I started out just planning on doing 40&45.

I know have 4 caliber conversions for my 650 and 3 calibers for my single stage.
View Quote
Thank you. I edited my post when I realized I was in a precision topic.

The only calibers I shoot in any quantiy are 9mm, 5.56 and .300 BLK.  9mm and 5.56 are so darn cheap, can't see reloading them but I do save all the brass just in case.
I just ordered my first reloading tool. A Harvey Deprimer.  Baby steps.

Next up will be a case prep center. I already have 1000's of once fired brass, and I might as well start by prepping my cases while I decide which route to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top