Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2017 10:58:16 PM EDT
Earlier this week I turned on my Dillon FL-2000 tumbler and all I heard was a buzz with no movement.  This tumbler was purchased in 1985 and is 32 years old with lots of use. Today I took it to Dillon to get the rebuild on the motor.  I thought I was going to pay for the rebuild but he handed me a new tumbler and said your all set.  I walked out the door with a new tumbler. I just wanted to say they have great customer service.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:00:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:20:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
  said your all set.   
View Quote
Are you certain that he said that? Perhaps you misheard him. Is it possible that he actually said "you're all set?"
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you certain that he said that? Perhaps you misheard him. Is it possible that he actually said "you're all set?"
View Quote
Yea. That too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:20:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Great story, great CS.
View Quote
Not me but another member, some years ago, bought a used Dillon press at a garage sale or some such venue. It was missing some stuff and had been well used, so he sent it in to Dillon for a 'tune up.' They sent it back, fully fixed up and with all missing parts replaced, for free!
Can't beat that kind of CS with a stick!
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Not surprised.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#6]
They charged me $85.00 to rebuild my vibratory tumbler, the motor burned out after 10+ years of hard use. That's about what I paid for it new.

Electrical equipment rarely gets covered under any warranty past 1 year.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They charged me $85.00 to rebuild my vibratory tumbler, the motor burned out after 10+ years of hard use. That's about what I paid for it new.

Electrical equipment rarely gets covered under any warranty past 1 year.
View Quote
The new ones only have a 5 year warranty from what he told me.  Mine was so old it had the lifetime warranty on it. They changed the warranty on these somewhere in the last 30 years. 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Not surprised one bit. It's Literally the best customer service I have ever experienced.

I've used their equipment since mid 80s.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#9]
For the price you pay to join the ''Blue Crew'' I would expect that kind of service.

You can just about buy 2 of everything from other makers for the same price.

And, BTW, RCBS has great CS too. An ''E'' clipped pin broke on my new 50BMG press 2 weeks ago, I called and asked how much a new one is, the guy said it's a warranty item, I'll send one out today. Good folks there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For the price you pay to join the ''Blue Crew'' I would expect that kind of service.

And, BTW, RCBS has great CS too. An ''E'' clipped pin broke on my new 50BMG press 2 weeks ago, I called and asked how much a new one is, the guy said it's a warranty item, I'll send one out today. Good folks there.
View Quote
Go ahead and price out an RCBS progressive vs a dillon and see how close you come to two for the same price. Aside from the lack of support for older presses, you'll find that RCBS is very proud of their new machines, and the price shows it.

FWIW all the presses I use much are RCBS and Dillon, but I wouldn't have an RCBS progressive.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Never had an issue with getting replacement parts , even if I broke or lost them during use from Dillon.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:13:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I like how Dillon never asked me where or when I got my 550 (gifted to my brother) and my 650.  I would love to buy more from other companies, but they seem to have conceded the progressive press market to Dillon.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:38:54 AM EDT
[#14]
When I bought my 550B, one of the primer feed tubes had a skinny spot in it. Also the powder dispenser would, as it was used, gradually over throw the charge. I contacted Dillon and without hesitation they sent upgrade parts for the dispenser and replaced all of my primer feed tubes even though only one had a problem. 

I actually wish that they offered more products that I need or want so that I could do more business with them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:31:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I love my Dillon press ect, 650 going for 15 years without really any need for the No BS coverage. But they definitely didn't give a shit about my burnt out tumbler. I switched to a wet tumbler and like it better anyway so it worked out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#16]
That does not seem right.  You must have gotten lucky.  Electrical stuff has 1 yr coverage not lifetime or 5yr.  Too many people have paid to have the motors replaced.

And, Dillon charges for refurbishment of presses on a sliding scale depending on what machine it is.  The replacement parts are part of that fee.  Every press that I know has
gone in with RMA # for fluff and buff has been charged that fee.  They come back in dillon boxes with all the stuff.  

Today the CV750 and CV2001 share the same motor.  Been that way since the CV500 was relabeled CV750.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#17]
In the past all dillon items had the no bs warranty, and some older electronics still get that. His replacement will not merit the same treatment when it goes.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Before this goes any farther, this thread is about Dillon CS. Stay on topic.

If you want to talk about RCBS CS, start your own thread.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:13:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That does not seem right.  You must have gotten lucky.  Electrical stuff has 1 yr coverage not lifetime or 5yr.  Too many people have paid to have the motors replaced.

And, Dillon charges for refurbishment of presses on a sliding scale depending on what machine it is.  The replacement parts are part of that fee.  Every press that I know has
gone in with RMA # for fluff and buff has been charged that fee.  They come back in dillon boxes with all the stuff.  

Today the CV750 and CV2001 share the same motor.  Been that way since the CV500 was relabeled CV750.
View Quote
This tumbler was over 30 years old and they had the lifetime warranty on them at that time. They do not have the same warranty on them now. They only have a 5 year warranty and that is what my warranty on this new one is now.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:30:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
From the "Read before you post if your new to this Forum" tacked red highlighted post at the top of the page;

Be respectful to other posters and do not use the google eye emo (https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_freak.gif) this one. As it's an insult if you add it to the end of the post you quoted. 

All threads by new prospects with a question about starting reloading need to include a comment that your question is not answered in the material already available. 

I don't know what your problem is but a mods job is to keep threads on track. That's what I did.

You have a problem with me, send me an IM, don't disrupt threads with off topic comments. dryflash3
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Before this goes any farther, this thread is about Dillon CS. Stay on topic.

If you want to talk about RCBS CS, start your own thread.
From the "Read before you post if your new to this Forum" tacked red highlighted post at the top of the page;

Be respectful to other posters and do not use the google eye emo (https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_freak.gif) this one. As it's an insult if you add it to the end of the post you quoted. 

All threads by new prospects with a question about starting reloading need to include a comment that your question is not answered in the material already available. 

I don't know what your problem is but a mods job is to keep threads on track. That's what I did.

You have a problem with me, send me an IM, don't disrupt threads with off topic comments. dryflash3
Run it how you want. I'm going to find some place else where every detail of every thread isnt micromanaged. Discussions flow. A thread about reloading company A CS turning into a discussion about other reloading company's CS is hardly way off topic. If somebody made a thread and said I had steak for dinner and somebody responded they had spaghetti the discussion is still diner related.
Let's ask OP if he feels his thread was derailed because somebody said RCBS has great CS too. I mean fuck I'm surprised you didn't delete my comment in the what did you do today thread because I added what I planned to do. Which is technically not what I did.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:05:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not me but another member, some years ago, bought a used Dillon press at a garage sale or some such venue. It was missing some stuff and had been well used, so he sent it in to Dillon for a 'tune up.' They sent it back, fully fixed up and with all missing parts replaced, for free!
View Quote
That happened to/for me. They have some of the best CS I have ever dealt with.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:39:31 AM EDT
[#23]
You guys are lucky. I've had nothing but bad experience with them on the phone. I've only called them a couple of times and I must keep getting the same guy or something. He is a total jerk on the phone.

I called a couple of years ago because my 650 shell plate stopped holding 9mm brass. The brass jumps out or gets cocked over at a 45deg angle when priming. The shell plate never had a problem for tens of thousands of 9mm and slowly developed the problem. It only happened maybe once every 500-1000 rounds. Then every 500, 200, 100 and so on till it was happening every 10-20 rounds. The guy from Dillon told me my tumbling media was wrong and ruined my 9mm brass. He then told me to throwaway a 5gal bucket full of bass and buy all new brass.   Dillon basically told me to go pound sand. I haven't touched my 650 since then. Big Blue paper weight sitting on my loading bench. 

Here is the funny part, with the 650 down and I had a match in a couple of days that I needed 9mm for. I had a 550 but no 9mm shell plate, so I set my 550 to load 9mm with a .40 shell plate and figured I would go slow and easy till Dillon couldn't fix my 650. Since Dillon wouldn't even talk to me about fixing the 650, I've loaded 1000's of 9mm on it and it has NEVER let 9mm brass slip/pop out while priming with the 40 shell plate. Thanks Dillon. 
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:07:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was the member that posted the garage sale find.  It was most of a 1050 and this happened in the late 90's.

My now ex wife had an obsession with buying junk at garage sales and selling it on ebay.  

So one Saturday morning she comes across a lady who was selling off her ex's stuff and had a Dillon press for sale. Well most of a press anyway.

I already had a 550 and she recognized the Dillon Blue so she calls me and I go over there to see it.

For some reason the guy took the press all apart and bits of it were scattered all over the garage.

I ended up paying her $300 (maybe $350, I can't recall now) for what I could find.

So I sent the bits to Dillon with my credit card numer and a note to please put Humpty Dumpy back together again.

When I got it back it looked like a new press, complete with nice clear powder measures. They get discolored when you leave powder in them. I send it two powder measures as it had 2 tool heads.

Anyway, they didn't charge me for anything, not even return shipping.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Just got off the phone with Dillon.
"Electronic/Electrical items have a one year warranty(motors-electronic scale). The plastic parts of the case feed and tumbler have a life time warranty."

If people get other deals it must be BS on their end or they got lucky.

All refurbs cost a fee for the return postage etc. The parts are free for the most part.

Anything else is BS!
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Run it how you want. I'm going to find some place else where every detail of every thread isnt micromanaged. Discussions flow. A thread about reloading company A CS turning into a discussion about other reloading company's CS is hardly way off topic. If somebody made a thread and said I had steak for dinner and somebody responded they had spaghetti the discussion is still diner related.
Let's ask OP if he feels his thread was derailed because somebody said RCBS has great CS too. I mean fuck I'm surprised you didn't delete my comment in the what did you do today thread because I added what I planned to do. Which is technically not what I did.
View Quote
This is one of the best run sub-forums on this site.  dryflash03 does an excellent job for which he is not paid.

On topic, I was gifted a 550.  I used and gifted it to my little brother.  I have no doubt that Dillon will stay on the phone for hours with him, helping his non-technical ass
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
What you did there...I see it...lol
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:07:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
"Electronic/Electrical items have a one year warranty(motors-electronic scale). The plastic parts of the case feed and tumbler have a life time warranty."

All refurbs cost a fee for the return postage etc. The parts are free for the most part.

Anything else is BS!
View Quote
I got that tumbler over 30 years ago and back then they had a lifetime warranty on them. Things have changed since then and they do not give lifetime warranties anymore.  I don't know when they changed but mine was under the lifetime warranty. He told me that this new one has a 5 year warranty. I did not look into it so I am not sure if that is correct or not.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:22:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Anything else is BS!
View Quote
You are describing current policy.

Back when I bought the Dillon equipment, the company had a different attitude when it came to customer service.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You guys are lucky. I've had nothing but bad experience with them on the phone. I've only called them a couple of times and I must keep getting the same guy or something. He is a total jerk on the phone.

I called a couple of years ago because my 650 shell plate stopped holding 9mm brass. The brass jumps out or gets cocked over at a 45deg angle when priming. The shell plate never had a problem for tens of thousands of 9mm and slowly developed the problem. It only happened maybe once every 500-1000 rounds. Then every 500, 200, 100 and so on till it was happening every 10-20 rounds. The guy from Dillon told me my tumbling media was wrong and ruined my 9mm brass. He then told me to throwaway a 5gal bucket full of bass and buy all new brass.   Dillon basically told me to go pound sand. I haven't touched my 650 since then. Big Blue paper weight sitting on my loading bench. 

Here is the funny part, with the 650 down and I had a match in a couple of days that I needed 9mm for. I had a 550 but no 9mm shell plate, so I set my 550 to load 9mm with a .40 shell plate and figured I would go slow and easy till Dillon couldn't fix my 650. Since Dillon wouldn't even talk to me about fixing the 650, I've loaded 1000's of 9mm on it and it has NEVER let 9mm brass slip/pop out while priming with the 40 shell plate. Thanks Dillon. 
View Quote
Call at another time.  Your experience is not typical.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#32]
I sent in an old powder measure that had cracked where the bellcrank screws on. They sent me a brand new powder measure to replace it. No charge. They have also sent me a few missing/worn/broken small parts that I have asked for over the years... no charge.

Pretty hard to argue with that kind of service.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Dillon CS rocks

Called them a few times with newbie questions
I called about AA7 leaking and they sent the black powder bar no charge
I was having an issue with my old powder measure and they replaced it, again, no charge

Love Dillon
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Back when I bought the Dillon equipment, the company had a different attitude when it came to customer service.
View Quote
We live in the present.  Not yesteryear!

I have a very close relationship with Dillon!

And, so when people spread crap it is a disservice to Dillon and the people that frequent this forum.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Another somewhat hidden Dillon feature is that used units always tend to stay just under full retail.  That means that with inflation, costs of manufacturing, labor, etc increasing the price of new units, your used unit will track with them.  I bought my first SDB for $189.  Second was used at $125 and the third was $100.  Later on I sold all three at a profit and bought a fully equipped 650.  Try that with some of the other brands.................

All 3 of my older SDBs were upgraded from plastic bushings in the linkage to sintered bronze with new links at no charge.  If you have an older SDB, I am going to guess 15+ years, take a look at your links.  The bronze units really tighten up the press and run much more smoothly.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And, so when people spread crap it is a disservice to Dillon and the people that frequent this forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While Dillon's customer service may not be what it was in the past, that doesn't change what happened.

Specifically, you said that "If people get other deals it must be BS on their end or they got lucky."

I merely pointed out that in my case, it was neither of those 2 choices you listed.

I fail to see how sharing my positive experience with Dillon and saying it was a while ago is "spreading crap".

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
This happened to my friend when he got a used Square Deal.  wanna say he got it for $100 and it was missing a few parts.  Went to Dillon w/ him to get the missing parts and the tech (older guy) told us that thing was like 20 years old and had a ton of "updates"  so he took it and the 9mm conversion kit he just bough, came back about 10 mins later and gave him a NIB square deal with the 9mm conversion already set up.

Ive used them for a few minor things on my 550 that broke (mostly springs).  1 phone call and they said "it will be sent out today, no charge"
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Back when I bought my 550 I saw a Dillon ad.

It said something like this,  Dillons no b.s. warranty,  If you were to be loading in a helicopter and your press falls to the ground we have you covered,  even though we don't know why you would be doing your loading in a helicopter.

anyone remember that ad ?  I've not seen that in a long time.

I've had great service from Dillon myself.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
That was me.

yep,  it was a garage sale

I called Dillon with a list of parts needed.

he asked what was going on, I told him.

He recommended I ship it back for a full refurb.

I did

It came back with an invoice $98

with a red sharpie written over it saying "FREE"
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:51:22 AM EDT
[#40]
There are only 3 brands I trust

Dillon has great CS
RCBS has beast presses I haven't needed warranty on mine in over 20 years of use
MEC I haven't broken one of these yet either
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sounds like one of the guys that retired a few months ago. "Crotchety" would only start to describe him. As for your problem, that's a simple fix to swap out the shellplate. Give us a call and we'll help you get that 650 back up and running.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#42]
I always felt a bit guilty getting replacement parts from 'em so last time I placed an ordered noticed you could buy individual parts.  I had a cracked primer buzzer housing and added it the cart for $9 or so.

Turns out they redesigned the primer buzzer and they sent me the new style cover not the old one.

Called Dillon CS and they sent me a whole new primer buzzer (new style)
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top