Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/28/2017 12:46:06 AM EDT
I used the old Lee Auto Prime with the round trays until I finally wore them out. Then bought to next version which have been just so-so. Have read nothing but bad about their newest version which doesn't surprise me; they seem to be good and taking something that works and screwing it up!

So, what is the best, most reliable in the opinion of those here?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Hand-de-priming-tools-/42-481296/

Did you see this thread on page 1?

Convince me to not lock this thread as a dupe.
View Quote
I know you weren't talking to me, but this thread is about priming tools and that thread is about depriming tools.

OP, you asked about the best, and this one by 21st Century is the best one I've tried. There's no provision for any kind of auto-feed, so it ain't fast, but it's precise and built to last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I've owned quite a few and love the RCBS universal hand primer. It really is universal and has a great feel to it. I stopped searching after I bought that one.

Amazon Product
  • Ribs product
  • Priming tools & accessories
  • Priming tools and accessories

Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've owned quite a few and love the RCBS universal hand primer. It really is universal and has a great feel to it. I stopped searching after I bought that one.

www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKB86A
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I've looked close at the RCBS but the reviews have been pretty much lukewarm. But RCBS has phenomenal customer service, so that's a plus.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Lee hand press.
It's not fast but can do much more than prime. Comes in handy if you have a helper
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out the Sinclair priming tool, I think it is my favorite reloading tool.

I don't hand prime often but when I do I really enjoy using it.  I hand prime for major matches and for precision load development or when I want to do it sitting with the wife, instead of being out in the garage.      The thing operates as smooth as butter.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have this one too and like it quite a bit.  I've used it to prime about 6000 rounds this year.  Not a ton but enough to decide that it works well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Like all "what's the best X" questions, the answer to yours depends on a lot of things, mostly what you want to get out of your use of the tool.

I have used earlier versions of Lee's hand primer; they worked OK and I never wore them out or broke them, but they weren't something I'd say was wonderful.  They are fairly ergonomic and pretty easy to use.

I have both the RCBS hand primer (the type that uses standard shell holders) and the Hornady hand primer (which also uses standard shell holders).  They both work well.  

The RCBS takes some effort to set up due to its safety system which positively blocks the primers in the feed tray from the priming mechanism.  The RCBS tool uses your index and middle fingers to power it, kind of like a grip exerciser.  I have modified mine with a positive stop to set primer depth to help maintain consistency.  It is available for about $38 (Midway USA).

The Hornady tool takes less fiddling to set up, and gives plenty of sensitivity when seating primers.  It uses your middle, ring and small fingers for power; this may provide a little better control, since the index finger can overpower a high leverage system.  I could probably add a positive stop for this tool as well, but I have not.  It is on Midway USA for about $40 (on sale right now).

If you want more control over precise seating depth, there are better priming tools.  The 21st Century tool allows you to adjust seating depth with a "click" adjustment of the shell holder head.  K&M's tool uses extra fine threads to adjust the shell holder for seating depth.  Sinclair's tool does not offer adjustment, but is touted as offering extreme sensitivity for seating primers.  All three of these tools use Lee's Autoprime shell holders, and all require you to hand feed each primer, one at a time.  The Sinclair and 21st Century tools list for about $120, while K&M's is around $65.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#11]
All three of these tools use Lee's Autoprime shell holders...
View Quote
Unless something has changed since I bought mine, the 21st Century unit requires their proprietary shell holders.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:51:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is the one I use.  Simple, effective, and works perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

My only hesitancy with the RCBS tool is I have to have two shellholders; one for the press and one for the primer seater. I already have a butt-load of Lee shellholders which makes it more attractive. I may hunt around for a used Lee Auto Prime.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:14:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My only hesitancy with the RCBS tool is I have to have two shellholders; one for the press and one for the primer seater. I already have a butt-load of Lee shellholders which makes it more attractive. I may hunt around for a used Lee Auto Prime.
View Quote
The RCBS Universal doesn't use shellholders.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:18:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The RCBS Universal doesn't use shellholders.
View Quote
 Did not know that. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Ever consider the Lee auto bench prime? Been using it for about a month and loving it so far. Inexpensive and doesn't take up much space at all. I used the Lee handheld primer with the square trays for awhile and wore my hands out doing high volume. Not anymore. Mechanical advantage of the lever takes very little effort.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:52:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes, I love my Lee Bench Primer too. I've had it for several months and it works great ! My thumbs are thanking me, since I don't need them to push the lever I give it 2 thumbs up. I screwed mine to a board which I clamp to the bench.

I've used the old, round Lee primer and the new, square one. The round is the best but I looked for years for another pair, couldn't find them anywhere until I lucked into a friend who was selling her husband's stuff. He had them so I bought them.

The square one works, you just have to use it to get used to it and know its' quirks.

I recommend the Lee Bench Primer but if you want a hand primer get the RCBS unit or 2nd place is the Lee square one because you already have shell holders for it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Unless something has changed since I bought mine, the 21st Century unit requires their proprietary shell holders.
View Quote
My bad, you're right, although Sinclair says they use Lee shell holders.  21st Century's shell holders are $7.99.  Lee's holders are about $2.50 +/-.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I use the same shell holder on the press and on the RCBS priming tool.  It takes only a short bit of time to change shell holders.

Since I use the tool for more than one caliber, changing shell holders isn't a factor.  And since they cost about $6-$7, it's not a big deal (to me) anyway.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
It works good also...sit and watch movie and prime cases.  It seems like my primer holder is round though
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My bad, you're right, although Sinclair says they use Lee shell holders.  21st Century's shell holders are $7.99.  Lee's holders are about $2.50 +/-.
View Quote
My Sinclair uses Lee shell holders.

IIRC, I've used another brand, too, but I do not recall which brand.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My Sinclair uses Lee shell holders.

IIRC, I've used another brand, too, but I do not recall which brand.
View Quote
To clarify, I meant that Sinclair says 21st Century tools use Lee shell holders.  It's buried in one of the product Q&A entries.  Sinclair also makes stainless shell holders in the same design as Lee's.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#23]
The old Lee auto prime is a dream to use in comparison to the RCBS.  I cannot imagine why Lee changed things so that the usefulness diminished.  Yes, the pot-metal casting  and plastic leaves a lot to be desired as far as durability, but the basic design is about the best that I've used. So much so, that I've drawn up some prints to make parts from durable materials as mine wear out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#24]
In my case, I'm loading on a L&L AP, so I have been thinking the RCBS with the fancy shell  holder that fits everything. My case trimmer uses that system and I love it.

If I was to get something that uses shell holders, it would be for that tool only, and that would add up.

Universal saves that cost.

If you have shell holders anyway, go that way.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The old Lee auto prime is a dream to use in comparison to the RCBS.  I cannot imagine why Lee changed things so that the usefulness diminished.  Yes, the pot-metal casting  and plastic leaves a lot to be desired as far as durability, but the basic design is about the best that I've used. So much so, that I've drawn up some prints to make parts from durable materials as mine wear out.
View Quote
I have an RCBS Universal and the slop in the jaws that hold the case rim is so bad I can't stand to use it.  Anybody wants one can have mine for cost of shipping.

If someone could make replacement levers for the older Lee hand primers from steel instead of pot-metal you'd earn a Hero of the Revolution medal.  I can't bear to throw away the old ones because I live in hope someone's a decent machinist and can fabricate replacements.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:15:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I bought two of the RCBS Universal hand priming tools about six months ago from Brownells. Both required far more effort than necessary to seat primers and the primers didn't always fully seat. I returned the tools. The older RCBS model that uses a regular shell holder is a much better tool even if changing shellholders is somewhat inconvenient.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Everything I've seen indicates they changed Lee's design for safety reasons.  Or actually for lawyer reasons...  I haven't heard about anyone having a Lee hand primer blowing up, but I know that idiots are really creative.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I have the Hornady and like it a lot.  I use Lee shell holders in it.  It's easy to set up and provides good feel when seating primers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Ther OP is asking about a hand-held priming tool.  Of those, the discussion above indicates problems with each.  I've had no trouble with my Sinclair and the K&M is also well regarded.

This operation is pretty important.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#30]
The original Lee Auto Prime with the round tray, the "dangerous" one, was probably the best from a practical standpoint. Lee conducted their own tests, detonating primers. They finally advised handloaders to use only CCI and Winchester primers because these were least susceptible to multiple detonation, or whatever term Lee used to describe the problem with the original tools. I don't think anyone can fault Lee for making a safer tool even if it didn't work as well as the original.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mine is the older model that takes shell holders and has the round primer tray.   I love it but the universal head would be the bee's knees.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#32]
I've worn out my original Lee round tray models and returned a couple of RCBS Universals, so have had no hand-held priming tools for several months. Some years ago when I got rid of my benchrest stuff, I foolishly sold my Sinclair priming tool. It was slow to operate and I had never used it for anything but 6mm BR brass. However, it was a fine, all steel tool that worked far better than lesser tools when it came to primer "feel" when seating. For the price, however, one would expect it to be superior to everything else.

In the interim, I've been priming handgun brass on a '60s Texan turret press and using a Co-Ax press for rifle brass. While both work well, neither is any faster than the "slow" Sinclair. I've pretty much decided that another Sinclair, or possibly a K&M or 21st Century tool would be the way to go, though I know little about the latter two. When I consider how much I use a priming tool, there is probably very little difference in cost between a $30-$50 tool and one that costs $120 if that cost is amortized over the useful lifespan of the tool.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I tried the old RCBS and was dissatisfied with it.  I laid it away long ago and when I returned to it a couple months ago I had forgotten how to change shell holders and broke it.  In the meantime I long ago bought four of the old Lee round tray models -- I have one each set up for large and small primers and another two new ones in the box sitting on a shelf against the day when one of the others might break.  Over the years I have broken two of the round tray models.  Keep them lubricated for the best results.  I now tend to load small quantities of ammo of an odd size so have been using the primer arm on my Rock Chucker.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, I second this RCBS one. My Hornady hand primer would crush primers once while. This one does not. Feels very good in my hand too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:14:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Anyone using the Frankford Arsenal hand primer? Looks well built and has great reviews. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Why not just buy the old style lee priming tool?

They come up at gunshows/e-bay all the time. It's nothing to get 10+ of them laying around.

The cam with the round head is really the only part that breaks on them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:10:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Anyone using the Frankford Arsenal hand primer? Looks well built and has great reviews. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one.
View Quote
Daveydoug, is your younger brother Billyman?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Plus one for the K&N tool, which uses the Lee shellholders I already have.  They key ingredient is the ability to adjust seating depth, which puts it (and the Sinclair) head and shoulders above all the others.  I do wish it had a primer tray, but that's a small price to pay for precision.  - CW
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:11:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Daveydoug, is your younger brother Billyman?
View Quote
Negative.

If there's a joke there I didn't get it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:49:40 AM EDT
[#40]
I agree the round Lee's were good.  Wore out one, still have one but it's starting to click (first one did before the squeeze handle broke).

I bought the "new/improved" square Lee.  All kinds of problems with it hanging up, turning the primers over, etc.

So I bought the newest/bestest sort of triangular tray Lee.  It's worse than the square one.  Multiple feed hang ups in every tray of primer.  I have to remove the tray from it to unjam it.  The tray just will no turn over primers that are upside down after dumping a 100 primer tray into it.  I have to do it by hand.  And, two to three primers per hundred will sort of tilt sideways and hang up in the tray.  That requires the tray be opened up so the almost sideways primers  can fall back down flat again.

Every time I use that thing I keep thinking I need to look for a couple old ones.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:58:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Another thumbs up for the Lee bench primer. No it's not technically a hand held but I mounted mine on a piece of 2x8 and can see where it could be pretty portable.

If you mount it in a way that puts the down pressure of priming on the long end of the board you really don't even need to have board clamped down. And it primes with little effort and very good feel.

Motor
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#42]
I wore out my rcbs hand primer so after looking around for about 6 months, picked up the new Lee auto primer hand priming tool. For the cost its hard to beat. Sucks they don't include the handle extension but its worked great for me this past summer.
LEE Auto Prime
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Another thumbs up for the Lee bench primer. No it's not technically a hand held but I mounted mine on a piece of 2x8 and can see where it could be pretty portable.

If you mount it in a way that puts the down pressure of priming on the long end of the board you really don't even need to have board clamped down. And it primes with little effort and very good feel.

Motor
View Quote
I haven't tried that one, but it looks like a good design.

I always did well with Lee's press-mounted AutoPrime 2.  Like the prior hand priming tools, that one seems to have also gone the way of the dinosaur.    It used the same primer tray as one of the hand priming tools (I can't recall which shape off the top of my head), and had a nice curved primer feed track that let you keep an eye on the primers.  I only stopped using it when I got my progressive press.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#44]
I have the Sinclair and RCBS Universal
They are both good tools
The Sinclair uses modified Lee shell holders, regular  Lee's are slightly larger in certain spots that make them a hassle to install and remove. With some measuring and filing you can make them easier to use.
The RCBS is excellent too, only thing I did was grind off the corners of the primer feed where it pokes my hand. The RCBS uses no shell holders and mine has no slop in holding shells, its fast too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I haven't tried that one, but it looks like a good design.

I always did well with Lee's press-mounted AutoPrime 2.  Like the prior hand priming tools, that one seems to have also gone the way of the dinosaur.    It used the same primer tray as one of the hand priming tools (I can't recall which shape off the top of my head), and had a nice curved primer feed track that let you keep an eye on the primers.  I only stopped using it when I got my progressive press.
View Quote
As posted in one of the other priming tool threads, the Lee bench primer will accept the slip in trays like the one used for the RCBS hand tool (the one that uses standard press shell holders) and the ones from Lee's on press priming tool.

These of course don't have the little gizmo that keeps the primers from coming out when the opening is in the down position. I use a small flat blade screwdriver to block them until it's inserted into the tool.

I prefer using the older trays. There is one popular mod for this tool. It has an "0" ring in the linkage for the handle to come back to in it's resting position. For some reason the tool works better with this "0" removed. It's covered well on YouTube.

This tool uses the same shell holders as Lee's hand held priming tools.

Motor
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Negative.

If there's a joke there I didn't get it.
View Quote
Not a joke.

I saw you were from ohio, knew a guy named doug that had 2 sons davey and billy. Used to call the little boy billyman. He was 3 back then. Saw your name davey doug & figured I'd ask.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not a joke.

I saw you were from ohio, knew a guy named doug that had 2 sons davey and billy. Used to call the little boy billyman. He was 3 back then. Saw your name davey doug & figured I'd ask.
View Quote
Ah, got it.

Back on topic, I've been using Lee's Ram Prime system. It works well, but is slow.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#48]
I just bought a 21st Century priming tool. Well worth the price; the primer feel when seating is the best I've found and seating depth is quickly adjustable.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#49]
This is a quote directly from the Speer manual about priming. 

The heading is "MISFIRES" 

"By far the most common cause of misfire complaints is primers not being fully seated in the primer pocket. Primers are designed to be seated with the anvil legs in firm contact with the bottom of the primer pocket. 

The ideal situation, giving maximum primer sensitivity, is to actually have the primer pellet slightly compressed between the cup and the anvil. This will result in the primer being slightly below flush with the case head. If primers are just seated flush, the anvil legs may not be in contact with the bottom of the primer pocket." (End of quote) 

Read that carefully and think about why you would ever need or want a priming tool that may not be fully seating your primers. 

To put it in simple terms. If your primer is not fully seated the pin strike can actually push the anvil out of the bottom of the cup. This is not something desirable, trust me. 

Priming is not like bullet seating or sizing to adjust your head space there is no adjustment. The only correctly seated primer is one that is fully seated on the bottom of the primer pocket. If someone suggests otherwise they have been misguided in some way. 

I posted this in another priming thread a couple days ago but feel it needs to be repeated.

Motor
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:26:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Old Lee Auto Prime  Been using them for 25 yrs and thousands and thousands of rounds primed with it. I've broken two handles ..... wore out a few cams so far but like the poster above I buy used ones for spare parts when I can find them, I pay about $5 for them in pawnshops / gunshops that sell used reloading equip.

I have a RCBS too I use mainly for odd ball rounds that don't fit Lee AP shell holders, it sucks compared to Old Lee AP.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top