Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2017 8:23:34 PM EDT
I'm going to to be reloading for a Henry H010 45-70. I have looked in hornady and the Lee manuals but they list 3 different 45-70 types. Which one do I go by for this Henry?  

In the hornady book they have...
45-70 government (trap door)
45-70 government (1895 marlin)
45-70 government (ruger #1)

In the Lee book it has....
45-70 us governement
45-70 model 95 lever action
45-70 modern rifle design

So which one would I pick? I'm thinking modern rifle design?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I would initially begin with the middle ground loads for Lever guns. IIRC the Modern loads are for single shot rifles like the Ruger, and modern bolt actions. In either case it is the safe starting point imho. From what I can see the Henry action looks very similar to the Marlin in that it does not appear to be a toggle action like the 1873 Winchester. If it is one of the "Henry Rifle copies" with the toggle action then you might want to start with the "trapdoor" loads. Not that familiar with the actual inner workings of the Henrys, but I am sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly. My info is general reloading safety over the last few decades.

ETA. After looking at the specific model you specified and its schematic drawing , you should be safe with the middle range of loads you listed for a starting point,as the design IS NOT the toggle action.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Henry can handle the middle one. I load for same lever gun...

Do yourself a favor and buy the lyman guide too. More cast data than Hornady.

I started by loading the mid group and found my head rattled a little more than I liked. I reduced the same 4198 powder into the Trapdoor range and range time is a heck of a lot more fun.

Plenty of energy in Trapdoor loads to do just about anything (including kill a few buffalo).

I also play with some Red Dot loads for even more pleasant plinkers.

If you dong cast, it is the perfect round to use as an excuse to start since bullets arent very cheap.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:48:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Do your self a favor if shootin lead slug your barrel .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top