Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ERizzo:

You wont come out ahead.
This is a labor of love and or just being able to make your own whatever and whenever you want.
Its either stock up 18,000 bullets or custom make them at your leisure. Or, maybe its about being able to make therm when others cant even buy them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flamethrower:
What do you figure your return on investment is? In number of bullets that is.

You wont come out ahead.
This is a labor of love and or just being able to make your own whatever and whenever you want.
Its either stock up 18,000 bullets or custom make them at your leisure. Or, maybe its about being able to make therm when others cant even buy them.

Sure I get that. Just seems like a huge outlay in cash, and a giant time commitment. Yes in the end you can make your own. I suppose I would cast S-tons of cores and then store them. Then form all the jackets and store them.

What is the reason behind sorting the cases by manufacturer? Seems to me like lots of extra time for no reason.
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 9:23:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rock0217] [#2]
What is the reason behind sorting the cases by manufacturer? Seems to me like lots of extra time for no reason.
View Quote

My guess would be differences in case thickness. This would affect finished weight as well as possibly the way the dies are set.

ETA: spelling
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

I'm calling it 12,200.  10,000 left to make!
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 10:37:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ricklaut] [#4]

Sure I get that. Just seems like a huge outlay in cash, and a giant time commitment. Yes in the end you can make your own. I suppose I would cast S-tons of cores and then store them. Then form all the jackets and store them.

View All Quotes

You wont come out ahead.

Differences in case thickness is one reason; they also tend to weigh different amounts.  Yes, it is a PITA.  On that, for now, I trusted what those who went before me recommended.  I'll get to a point when I'll experiment a bit to see what effect those differences actually make. Sorting ~17k of them gave me something to do while I was waiting for my dies.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice intro and great pictures for people interested in swaging!

I've been swaging .22 jackets for bullets for a couple years now, and I'd never thought about putting my Lee press sideways to drop the derimmed .22s into the annealing pan

Excellent use of your printer btw, which printer do you have?

I tried cleaning my derimmed casings without stainless pins and found it was easier and I didn't need to separate pins anymore, however it does take longer to get them as clean and shiny without the pins (using a home made tumbler).

If you make your own core molds, once you find the core weight you want, you can just make another core mold for that specific weight, this way you can cast cores for either 55gr or heavier bullets without need to adjust your core swaging die.
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By An_Orphanage:
Very nice intro and great pictures for people interested in swaging!

I've been swaging .22 jackets for bullets for a couple years now, and I'd never thought about putting my Lee press sideways to drop the derimmed .22s into the annealing pan

Excellent use of your printer btw, which printer do you have?

I tried cleaning my derimmed casings without stainless pins and found it was easier and I didn't need to separate pins anymore, however it does take longer to get them as clean and shiny without the pins (using a home made tumbler).

If you make your own core molds, once you find the core weight you want, you can just make another core mold for that specific weight, this way you can cast cores for either 55gr or heavier bullets without need to adjust your core swaging die.
View Quote

The printer is a FlashForge Creator Dual.  I immediately knew I wanted to design / print this stuff to help my swaging productivity.  

I'll try a batch of brass without pins and see how it does. As long as I batch far enough ahead, the amount of time shouldn't be a problem.  I picked up a thousand or so today that are completely black...  that'd be a good test!
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ricklaut:

Differences in case thickness is one reason; they also tend to weigh different amounts.  Yes, it is a PITA.  On that, for now, I trusted what those who went before me recommended.  I'll get to a point when I'll experiment a bit to see what effect those differences actually make. Sorting ~17k of them gave me something to do while I was waiting for my dies.  
View All Quotes

You wont come out ahead.

The more I look at this the more I want to do it. Damn you!  I just don't have that kind of coin.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#8]

The more I look at this the more I want to do it. Damn you!  I just don't have that kind of coin.
View Quote

Hee, hee, hee...  .  I'd suggest keeping up with the swaging forum over on CB.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

Head over to CB and look at some of the home builds.  Yes it takes time to get a die right, but so far I have spent roughly ~$50 on tooling and materials to make my dies, and I have enough stock to make at least one whole set including trashing my mistakes.  If you have access to a lathe its definetely worth looking into making your own.  they wont look as nice as BT's which are a piece of art, but they will get the job done.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SupaMan:

Head over to CB and look at some of the home builds.  Yes it takes time to get a die right, but so far I have spent roughly ~$50 on tooling and materials to make my dies, and I have enough stock to make at least one whole set including trashing my mistakes.  If you have access to a lathe its definetely worth looking into making your own.  they wont look as nice as BT's which are a piece of art, but they will get the job done.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SupaMan:

Not trying to dog BT at all. I think CH4d makes them for him.

Are there prints somewhere for the dies?

I have access to an entire machine shop of CNC turret lathes and can produce high quality items quickly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Not trying to dog BT at all. I think CH4d makes them for him.

Are there prints somewhere for the dies?

I have access to an entire machine shop of CNC turret lathes and can produce high quality items quickly.
View Quote

I'm not sure what BT's relationship with CH4d is - I was under the impression that he does buy some of his dies from them, and modifies them.  

I have seen reference to prints over on CB, along with discussions about how home die makers are getting their projects done. That's out of my league, so I haven't paid much attention to those threads though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 3:41:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Great wright up Rick!

Excellent looking bullets. I'm always pleased when customers are able to achieve success with a minimal learning curve.

I'm not sure one could ever justify the cost of swage dies with the number of bullets they make, well..... actually the .500 cal 350 grain Hornady XTP bullets are nearly $1 each! Imagine being able to justify the cost of equipment in less then 6 boxes of bullets! With cheap 22 cal bullets it is easier to justify the cost with the enjoyment you get out of the investment. There are certainly worse things we could spend our money on.

Making swage dies on the other hand is a good deal of work. The trick is to find out what works for you.

I have "improved" many CH-4d dies over the last 5 years with better internal components, mostly in 40, 44 and 45 caliber since they didn't offer anything smaller then 32 cal. Sadly CH hasn't made any swage dies in nearly two years and has no plans to offer any future swage dies. So no, CH doesn't make my dies for me.

You would think fancy CNC machinery would aid in the process, maybe it can and will, but again you must find out what works for you. For me it was a hand operated lathe and mill with expensive, high quality professionally made carbide reamers (that is another subject all in it's self, you just can't order a "22" cal point form carbide reamer from McMaster Carr)  Others have tried to go to a machine shops with fancy CNC equipment to make these dies yet they had their fare share of difficulty. Most of the dies required for making bullets are not that difficult to make but everyone that has tried will tell you it is the point form die that is the challenge.

Yep swage dies can be somewhat expensive, I used to think Corbin's prices where expensive until I attempted to make my own set. I was lucky I am a very patient person because my patience was tested many times in learning what it took to perfect a quality point form die and set of swage dies. That is the challenge. It is not like you can go take a class at a tech school for making swage dies, you really have to teach yourself.

But back to making bullets! Nicely done Rick! Thank you for your patience and support. You have all you need now to make as many 22 cal bullets that you could ever need. Heck you have already made 2,000+ in only what, a month! Swage On!  My first swage die was a CH 44 cal. That first year I made nearly 20,000 bullets and traded half of them for more brass to make more bullets with :)

Good Shooting and Swage On!

BT

Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:35:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like FN5.7 brass or 5/16" copper tubing jackets

BT Sniper 308 Dies
View Quote

best use for 5.7 brass ever?
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By BTSniper:
Great wright up Rick!

Excellent looking bullets. I'm always pleased when customers are able to achieve success with a minimal learning curve.

I'm not sure one could ever justify the cost of swage dies with the number of bullets they make, well..... actually the .500 cal 350 grain Hornady XTP bullets are nearly $1 each! Imagine being able to justify the cost of equipment in less then 6 boxes of bullets! With cheap 22 cal bullets it is easier to justify the cost with the enjoyment you get out of the investment. There are certainly worse things we could spend our money on.

Making swage dies on the other hand is a good deal of work. The trick is to find out what works for you.

I have "improved" many CH-4d dies over the last 5 years with better internal components, mostly in 40, 44 and 45 caliber since they didn't offer anything smaller then 32 cal. Sadly CH hasn't made any swage dies in nearly two years and has no plans to offer any future swage dies. So no, CH doesn't make my dies for me.

You would think fancy CNC machinery would aid in the process, maybe it can and will, but again you must find out what works for you. For me it was a hand operated lathe and mill with expensive, high quality professionally made carbide reamers (that is another subject all in it's self, you just can't order a "22" cal point form carbide reamer from McMaster Carr)  Others have tried to go to a machine shops with fancy CNC equipment to make these dies yet they had their fare share of difficulty. Most of the dies required for making bullets are not that difficult to make but everyone that has tried will tell you it is the point form die that is the challenge.

Yep swage dies can be somewhat expensive, I used to think Corbin's prices where expensive until I attempted to make my own set. I was lucky I am a very patient person because my patience was tested many times in learning what it took to perfect a quality point form die and set of swage dies. That is the challenge. It is not like you can go take a class at a tech school for making swage dies, you really have to teach yourself.

But back to making bullets! Nicely done Rick! Thank you for your patience and support. You have all you need now to make as many 22 cal bullets that you could ever need. Heck you have already made 2,l000+ in only what, a month! Swage On!  My first swage die was a CH 44 cal. That first year I made nearly 20,000 bullets and traded half of them for more brass to make more bullets with :)

Good Shooting and Swage On!

BT

View Quote

Good thing there are companies that will make carbide reamers to the dimesions yyou want.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Great write up! I've been interested in making my own for a while now (despite the fact I have >4k rounds sitting in a spare ammo can).

I'm interested in the cost. I have pretty much everything already except the dies. I already cast boolits with a ton of free lead, have a wet tumbler, own a Lee classic, etc.. What did the actual die setup cost you? I saw your $1200 reference, but what fraction of that was the dies, press modification thingy, lead mold? Thanks, and awesome job on the writeup. I'm so subscribed :)
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 10:48:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#16]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:
Great write up! I've been interested in making my own for a while now (despite the fact I have >4k rounds sitting in a spare ammo can).

I'm interested in the cost. I have pretty much everything already except the dies. I already cast boolits with a ton of free lead, have a wet tumbler, own a Lee classic, etc.. What did the actual die setup cost you? I saw your $1200 reference, but what fraction of that was the dies, press modification thingy, lead mold? Thanks, and awesome job on the writeup. I'm so subscribed :)
View All Quotes

Are the prices listed on BT's post in castboolits still accurate? link

$545 BTSniper 22 cal 2 die set

$225 core swage die

$150 eleven cavity core mold

$125 derim die

$125 required auto ejection system for any 1" ram or my prefrence would be a Lee Classic Cast press with custom swage ram top that accepts threaded base punches for only $25 extra.

$20 S&H

$1190 to your door for everything ($1215 with New Lee Classic Cast swage ram top)
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 1:10:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ricklaut] [#17]

View All Quotes

$545 BTSniper 22 cal 2 die set

$225 core swage die

$150 eleven cavity core mold

$125 derim die

$125 required auto ejection system for any 1" ram or my prefrence would be a Lee Classic Cast press with custom swage ram top that accepts threaded base punches for only $25 extra.

$20 S&H

$1190 to your door for everything ($1215 with New Lee Classic Cast swage ram top)

AFAIK, yes.  Basically, that's everything - assuming you already have a press and a way to cast lead.  I'm in a couple hundred more as I bought a separate press for this, and the HF tumbler.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Rick amazing write up.

Now I have to figure out how to budget $1200 into the fun money.

To think of all the .22 brass I left on the ground at the range , figuratively speaking since I sweep them into the collection bucket.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Sorry man. I misread county as country. I am at fault for not reading properly. You have my apologies.

View All Quotes

I need to correct you on one thing though. The above statement in red is simply not true.

Hmm...  Clark County, NV - If you're in the unincorporated parts of the county (I am) or in the City of Las Vegas, all of the research I've done says they won't approve a business license for a home FFL (city of Henderson will - but I'm not moving to do it).  ATF won't bless the FFL unless you're in compliance with local laws...  There are a few home-based FFLs in the area that are grandfathered from before the county changed their zoning laws - but no new ones.

If you know otherwise, please let me know - I'm interested.

Sorry man. I misread county as country. I am at fault for not reading properly. You have my apologies.

you need a 06 FFL and pay your yearly ITAR fee..

good write up more better than the one i did a while ago..
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:

View All Quotes

I need to correct you on one thing though. The above statement in red is simply not true.

Hmm...  Clark County, NV - If you're in the unincorporated parts of the county (I am) or in the City of Las Vegas, all of the research I've done says they won't approve a business license for a home FFL (city of Henderson will - but I'm not moving to do it).  ATF won't bless the FFL unless you're in compliance with local laws...  There are a few home-based FFLs in the area that are grandfathered from before the county changed their zoning laws - but no new ones.

Yeah I know. I am an 06.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Yeah I know. I am an 06.
View All Quotes

Yeah I know. I am an 06.

i am as well.. just to sell swaged bullets and jackets..
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

It's pretty sad to have to go through all of that just to sell bullets and jackets. Bunch of BS.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#23]

It's pretty sad to have to go through all of that just to sell bullets and jackets. Bunch of BS.
View All Quotes

LOL thats what the ATF agent said as well. thats why i added you need both to sell so if any one is thinking about doing it.. FWIW I'm zoned residential and 200 yards away from a school. Actually getting one for bullets is easer than the full on ammo. No fire inspect/hazardous materials storage. Just 30 bucks for the 06 and then a 2250 yearly to ITAR.

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#24]

LOL thats what the ATF agent said as well. thats why i added you need both to sell so if any one is thinking about doing it.. FWIW I'm zoned residential and 200 yards away from a school. Actually getting one for bullets is easer than the full on ammo. No fire inspect/hazardous materials storage. Just 30 bucks for the 06 and then a 2250 yearly to ITAR.

View All Quotes

Part of me wishes it was an option where I currently live (disallowed by the kounty zoning folks); part of me wouldn't want to part with that much coin to do what (at my level anyway) wouldn't be very profitable.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 10:47:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fat_McNasty] [#25]

Part of me wishes it was an option where I currently live (disallowed by the kounty zoning folks); part of me wouldn't want to part with that much coin to do what (at my level anyway) wouldn't be very profitable.
View All Quotes

about 9k on hydro press and dies.. Im going from copper strip, which I buy at scrap prices from where I work. To complete 30 cal bullet. And I can do a swage from 223 brass to 30 cal jacket as well.

oh and don't push the brass jacket 224 stuff over 4k it will blow apart on its way to teh target.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#26]

about 9k on hydro press and dies.. Im going from copper strip, which I buy at scrap prices from where I work. To complete 30 cal bullet. And I can do a swage from 223 brass to 30 cal jacket as well.

oh and don't push the brass jacket 224 stuff over 4k it will blow apart on its way to teh target.
View All Quotes
[

Nice!  You're up there in the "land of the swaging die makers" too.  

For those contemplating getting into BT Sniper's dies, his prices are up to $1,465 for the complete set I mentioned here.  There is a 10% off offer through 2-14-14.  I think he's so busy at this point that he's trying not to get overrun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#27]

For those contemplating getting into BT Sniper's dies, his prices are up to $1,465 for the complete set I mentioned here.  There is a 10% off offer through 2-14-14.  I think he's so busy at this point that he's trying not to get overrun.
View All Quotes
[

LOL i work with in stones throw of Corbins. Dave is a damn nice guy and ive spent many a Hr in his shop picking his brain. If you want to try your hand at some 22 cal copper jackets shoot me a IM with your addy and ill get a few out to ya. As for brass the best ones I found that were consistent in weight were Eley Tenex. You can make some crazy accurate bullets from them. Then Federal target was good as the next step down.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#28]

LOL i work with in stones throw of Corbins. Dave is a damn nice guy and ive spent many a Hr in his shop picking his brain. If you want to try your hand at some 22 cal copper jackets shoot me a IM with your addy and ill get a few out to ya. As for brass the best ones I found that were consistent in weight were Eley Tenex. You can make some crazy accurate bullets from them. Then Federal target was good as the next step down.
View All Quotes
[

That's awesome - thank you and PM sent!
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 9:34:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: joesmoe3] [#29]
This thread is inspirational, thank you.

Both Dave Corbin and Larry Blackmon are still in business.

Working at a local range, I've been staring at all the discarded 22 cases for years, and a fellow shooter recently planted a seed: "You know Corbin used to make dies for converting 22 cases to jackets, and I've been in touch with him since COVID and he doesn't know if he'll ever make any more."

I went home, and maybe the planets were aligned - saw the die set available on eBay.

Been in touch with Corbin and picked up some items there.  Been in touch with Mr. Blackmon - he says he's eight months behind.

As one poster above said, 'labor of love' and a hobby.

Some things are fun just because one can.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:37:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#30]
Tag for further reading as I've used someones elses bullets out of my M16A4 clone in ND on Prairie Dogs.
Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top