Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2013 4:23:57 AM EDT
Alright so i have a guy that i have been buying reloaded 223/5.56 rounds from for 16$ per 50, and he has kept this price through these ridiculous days. But i have 550 brass casings and he is willing to reload them but, how much should i be paying if its my brass?

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want, you can use Freedom Munitions as a benchmark. They are paying $2.50/lb for brass. Using that you could weigh your 550 rounds and figure how much it's worth. (I'd do it but my scale died)

If they were $16/50 for brass he was providing, then you might have some room for negotiation with him.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:42:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Before the panic buying mentality set in, once fired 5.56 brass was selling for between $.05 and $.10 ea. I've always loaded my own and never bought reloads or had anyone reload for me, so I can't speak as to relative value in that situation. I would expect the guy to give you some credit towards the brass..

1DD
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:50:20 AM EDT
[#3]
If he has been doing you a favor by keeping his prices reasonable during the madness, return the favor and ask him if your brass has any value to him.  Or try and sell yours on the open market, turn that cash into loaded rounds thru him.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:23:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If he has been doing you a favor by keeping his prices reasonable during the madness, return the favor and ask him if your brass has any value to him.  Or try and sell yours on the open market, turn that cash into loaded rounds thru him.

Excellent advice.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent advice.

This.  He's doing you a solid by not raising prices.  Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

If it were ME, I'd do one of the following:

A)  Sell the brass on the open market and use the cash to buy more ammo
B)  Sit on it until the current panic subsides, THEN maybe try to negotiate ammo with him.

Pre-craziness, I would think that 250 pieces of brass would have gotten you 50 free rounds at his prices.

The problem with being nice right now, and asking "does this have any value to you" is that if you don't like the number he gives you, he *might* get butt-hurt that you decided to take the brass elsewhere, and raise his prices.

Proceed with caution, either way.

Or, just keep stockpiling the brass and reload yourself.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:13:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree with what was said above about him doing you a favor by not raising his prices.  Its a delicate situation.  You are paying around .32/round right now.  Not including brass I was reloading for about .18/round.  I think my last order of bullets went up in price so Im probably around .21 now.  I think it would be fair to offer .25/round and see what he says.  You want him to get somewhat of a compensation for his time and not just break even for cost of supplies.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you want, you can use Freedom Munitions as a benchmark. They are paying $2.50/lb for brass. Using that you could weigh your 550 rounds and figure how much it's worth. (I'd do it but my scale died)

If they were $16/50 for brass he was providing, then you might have some room for negotiation with him.

72 cases are an average number per pound. And to think I have an opportunity to buy 2300 pounds of WCC 11 for 5.56.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Not trying to be a party pooper but does the guy have a license to sell the ammo? I just don't want to see people get in trouble here.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I will echo "keep the brass and your arrangement with the reloader". Maybe you will: look into reloading yourself or will have product to sell at a later date.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top