Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:30:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morning_Wood] [#1]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:

That's a good idea for your problem. Would like to know if that technique works.
View Quote
Pins should be here tomorrow, so we'll known pretty soon.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By robrath:

Never got a response from anyone on this, can someone chime in?
View Quote
I had the same question, and didn't see that anyone responded to you.  I did some searching this morning, and it seems that a Hoover Windtunnel belt 38528-034 will fit - these run about $5 on Amazon or Ebay, shipped.

Another option I found is taking the belt to Tractor Supply or Napa and matching an Oring to the belt, or buying a set of Orings from this seller on Ebay:

Ebay replacement belts for HF rotary tumbler

Note - I haven't tried either method, but am going to try sourcing the Orings locally first.  If they don't hold up, I'll order or find a Hoover belt and try that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#3]

going to try sourcing the Orings locally first.  If they don't hold up, I'll order or find a Hoover belt and try that.
View Quote
If you want to go the O-ring route - this is what you need...

size -342 70-durometer Nitrile O-ring

I found this on a rock tumbling forum and have tumbled around 5k rounds with the same O-ring and still going strong today... You can buy them online, but I found mine locally...
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:15:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 30Caliber] [#4]
Originally Posted By aedavis:
I scanned through all 11 pages and didn't see that anyone had done the following - if it's a repost or if there's another thread detailing this, my apologies.

Instead of building a drum with PVC, I read on another forum that a 1lb Alliant powder jug will fit the Dual Drum tumbler.  I tried it (I use a lot of Alliant Power Pistol, so I had a 1lb container available) and it works great.  I thought not having an agitator inside would be a problem, but here's the before/after.  Note: recipe for 1lb Alliant bottle was 2 lbs brass (230 pieces 9mm), 1 second squirt of Dawn, 2 9mm cases of Lemishine, 2 lbs SS pins, and the bottle filled to within 1" of top with cold, softened tap water.

9mm brass I scrounged up - this is after washing with water to get the loose dirt off:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r101/allanedavis/9mm%20brass%20before%20wet%20tumbling_zpsvqzi8r0w.jpg

After wet tumbling - I can't pick out the two pieces from the above picture - they all look new:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r101/allanedavis/9mm%20brass%20after%20wet%20tumbling_zpsen4eay4q.jpg

Here's a pic of the tumbler with the Power Pistol bottle:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r101/allanedavis/Harbor%20Freight%20dual%20rock%20tumbler%20with%20Alliant%20jug_zpsado4p7ry.jpg

FYI -

2 lb 9mm brass = 230 pieces
2lb 45ACP brass = 150 pieces
2lb 5.56 brass = 140 pieces
2 lb 30.06 brass = 70 pieces
2 lb 308 brass = 80 pieces
View Quote
Yeah, this works.  I did a bunch of pistol brass last week in a 1lb Alliant powder can.  As stated above, 2lbs of brass, 2lbs of water, 2lbs of pins, 2 squirts of soap, and 1tsp Lemishine.  I've been using RO water FWIW.

308 didn't work out in the Alliant can.  I think it's because they never get turned end-for-end because 308 length is a good portion of the powder can diameter.  So they all line up and spin rather than tumble around.  I ended up running them in the HF cans.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Well I took back my HFT dual tumbler yesterday after the rubber on the drive shafts again got caught in the gear and locked up the tumbler.  I went down to the basement and it reeked of burning rubber and it had froze up yet was still trying to run.  Unplugged, let it cool down and took it to HFT who gave me a refund.

So, Im going to save up for a FART.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:10:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brakeman123] [#6]
Is anyone having the problem of dull brass using the 4" PVC tube with the Oatley 4" plug.  Seems the carriage bolt in the plug is not stainless or of poor quality and acting like a steel case causing some discoloring of the cases.  Thought I'd get a stainless bolt from Lowe's and see if it makes a difference.

[/URL]" />
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By brakeman123:
Is anyone having the problem of dull brass using the 4" PVC tube with the Oatley 4" plug.  Seems the carriage bolt in the plug is not stainless or of poor quality and acting like a steel case causing some discoloring of the cases. 
View Quote
Not at all.  Couldn't hurt to get stainless other than the wallet.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:21:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By brakeman123:
Is anyone having the problem of dull brass using the 4" PVC tube with the Oatley 4" plug.  Seems the carriage bolt in the plug is not stainless or of poor quality and acting like a steel case causing some discoloring of the cases.  Thought I'd get a stainless bolt from Lowe's and see if it makes a difference.

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af301/brakeman98/Bolt%20in%20tumbler_zps6qhnhhco.jpg" target="_blank">http://s1018.photobucket.com/user/brakeman98/media/Bolt%20in%20tumbler_zps6qhnhhco.jpg.html]http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af301/brakeman98/Bolt%20in%20tumbler_zps6qhnhhco.jpg[/url]
View Quote
Nope.  Never had a problem.  I dont let the brass sit in a non turning tumbler.  I rinse it immediately.  The stainless steel couldn't hurt, but I never saw the need.  Now that you point it out, I'll probably notice.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#9]
RD sized Eureka vacuum belts also fit with a little modification (bending the frame outward).  Found at Walmart.

It is basically an o-ring style. Very thick at 1/4", so thats why you have to make clearance by bending the frame, but it should last forever.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one of these tumblers.  Off to find the pins and give it a try.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone tried corn cob or walnut in one of these instead of water and pins?
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 4:32:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#12]
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top