User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:25:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:

Put a magnet on those cases and you will find that they are brass plated steel cases.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RWEIII:

Ifinally had some "pink" brass - three pieces, all S&B,

Put a magnet on those cases and you will find that they are brass plated steel cases.

Will do and will advise.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:32:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I just my HF double today and I should have the media in another day or so. The 308 and 243 brass is just waiting for some bling.

I'll try to remember to take before and after photos.

puddin,
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Tumbling for the first time tonight. I decapped several hundred rounds of 223 range brass and I've got 4 pounds of that processing between two dual drum HF tumblers. I'm still tempted to get the Rebel 17 I saw on the STM website but I'm doing it on the cheap for now. Some of the range brass was horribly corroded so it will be interesting to see how successful I am. This represents my first step in getting my reloading system in place. I'm just processing brass for now. A press and everything else to come. This has been a great thread. Appreciate ARFCOM for the great resource that it is.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:37:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By msting22:
I just my HF double today and I should have the media in another day or so. The 308 and 243 brass is just waiting for some bling.

I'll try to remember to take before and after photos.

puddin,
View Quote

The only real criticism I can make of the HF tumbler is that it worked too well.  It worked so well, in fact, that it caused me to buy a high speed Thumler's from Buffalo Arms.  I still use the HF for small batches.  

The downside of success is, I s'pose, more success.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been pulling out the brass from the rubber tumblers for the last 30 minutes. Let me tell you, this method is for real. I was highly doubtful it could remove this corroded brass. It looks shiny new. Awesome.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:33:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RLR350] [#10]
Originally Posted By jaroot:
I have now put 400 pcs of brass through my HF setup, 300 5.56 and 100 '06.  I am quite content at this time with the setup.  

Straight off I ditched the nasty smelling rubber drums and built the 4" PVC pipe container posted earlier.  I have had good success with 200 pcs of 5.56 or 100 pcs of '06 class brass in it with 2 - 2 1/2 lbs of pins.  Leave an inch of air space at the top after filling with water.  Squirt of Dawn, half a 40 S&W of Lemi-Shine.  Tumble for 3 - 4 hours.  Have let it go over night since I put it on before hitting the rack.  

Have had no overheating issues with the HF tumbler.  First belt is still going strong after about 20 hours on the tumbler.  Give the bearings a drop of oil every now and then and that is about it.

I have added 4 lengths of plastic coat hanger inside the tube to aid agitation.  I just epoxied them in place.  The rubber bands are now gone.  Don't need them with a full drum.  With an empty drum there isn't enough down pressure to not make the drum slip.

http://jarootfarms.com/photogallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_29085B15D.JPG

http://jarootfarms.com/photogallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_29295B15D.JPG

http://jarootfarms.com/photogallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_29305B15D.JPG

View Quote

I was at Lowes yesterday and opened up your post to pick these items up.  I made one drum and used PVC glue to put two pieces of 3/4" x about 7" pvc inside for agitators.  I didn't cut the 3/4" pvc in half, just glued the whole pipe in to see how it would work., one at 12 o'clock, one at 6 o'clock.  I put 200 204 pieces of 223, 1/2 40 cal of lemishine, a good dose of Dawn, 2.5 lbs media and tap water.  It's been running for about an hour and I checked it.  The PVC is still attached, there are no leaks and the brass is looking great.

Much easier than the rubber drums.  And they were always hit or miss with me on the water/lemishine recipe.  I could get two different appearances from each drum.  This is working much better.  Thanks.

ETA:  About 3 hours of tumbling.  The tube/agitators worked, although cutting the ends at a 45 degree angle would be better to make sure no brass gets stuck in the end gaps.  Not a problem.  Here are two trays of bright, consistent brass drying on the dehydrator (about 100 per tray).  The dehydrator is sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket to keep it off my garage floor.  I counted the brass with the new counter on my case feeder, it was 204 pieces.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Will do and will advise.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Ifinally had some "pink" brass - three pieces, all S&B,

Will do and will advise.

The other "pink" cases got tossed or are lost in the mix, but I ran more this weekend and had one pink case in the pile.  S&B again, the magnet sucked it up out of the pile.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SwampFox67:
I've been pulling out the brass from the rubber tumblers for the last 30 minutes. Let me tell you, this method is for real. I was highly doubtful it could remove this corroded brass. It looks shiny new. Awesome.
View Quote

Thursday night I picked up a piece ot 9mm at the range and it was black on one side, brown on the other, I was about to pitch it into the berm and I thought what the heck, lets see what it looks like after a ride in the HF tumbler...  I dumped the water out and threw it in the bag.

Saturday I ran them for four hours while I did other things.  Rinsed and dried I spread them out on the table to find the bastard piece... I can't pick it out of the pile of shiny brass.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#13]
At Amazon:

Stainless Steel Tumbling Media Pins - 0.047" Diameter, 0.255" Length (5 lb Pack)
5 | 3 reviews
Price:$39.99 & FREE SHIPPING
Note: Not eligible for Amazon Prime.
Only 14 left in stock.
Ships from and sold by guntap.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I am just another enthusiast, no connection to either Amazon (except for spending too much money there!) or guntap.

Just wanted to share what I found. ( I also found citic acid at Amazon and Lemishine at WalMart)

BTW, thanks for all the discussion and information on the process!
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 10:43:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought it was the least expensive source for the SS pins, has anybody found pins cheaper?
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Cheaper, extremely fast and good customer service:
http://www.bullseye-reloading.com/Pellet-Pins-Tumbling-Media.html

Back on topic...
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By MrZeat:

Cheaper, extremely fast and good customer service:

http://www.bullseye-reloading.com/Pellet-Pins-Tumbling-Media.html

Back on topic...
View Quote

Bullseye Reloading is good people.  Fast, courteous, fairly priced.  Post office placed one of my packages in limbo and Bullseye sent out a replacement and a return slip in case the original package showed up.  

They sell on ebay also.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:09:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Anxiously awaiting the next HFT 20% off coupon. When that will  be I have no idea...
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
Anxiously awaiting the next HFT 20% off coupon. When that will  be I have no idea...
View Quote

Go buy any gun magazine, there is always one in  there, or if ur a NRA member, their rifleman mag always has a coupon too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#22]
retailmenot has harbor freight one time 25% off coupon code - 83222653
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:45:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: boltcatch] [#23]
Thanks to everyone who posted pics of the PVC drum setup;  I just picked up one of these tumblers and will be doing a drum soon.

I wish I'd done this ages ago; brass cleaning is the only part of the process I really dislike.

Edit:

Lowe's had 2' of 4 inch PVC, the knock out caps, and the expanding cap all next to each other.  

Got my PVC drum made in about 5 minutes - I have a Milwaukee portable bandsaw clamped to a workbench in a SWAG Offroad mount, plugged into a Harbor Freight foot pedal.   Bzzzzt, bzzzzt, tube cut to length and some smaller pieces cut to glue inside... slap it together... leave it in a warm spot and off to work while the cement cures.

I have brass tumbling in it as we speak.    Should have done this a long time ago.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Harbor Freight has a 20% off coupon for any single item can use either on-line or in-store. Expires June 30, 2014

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#26]
So a pound of deprimed 9mm brass is about 120 pieces.

And I bought the single-drum HF tumbler

Anyone squeeze in a bit more?
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:21:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#27]
Went to Lowes this morning and purchased:

2' section of schedule 40 PVC pipe ($7.99)

Three 4" knock out caps ($1.07 each)

One 4" Oatey test plug ($6.99)

Total with tax came to $19.61

You can make a bunch of these tumbler drums with a 2-foot piece.

Off to HFT to buy a 2-drum unit with my coupon.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Bumping this since the SS pins I ordered from Bullseye Friday night arrived today.  Got about 150 .223 cases tumbling in the HF tumbler I've had since I first saw this thread .  1lb of pins, shot of dawn, 1/2 9mm case of Lemishine and water to cover 1lb of brass in each drum.  How long should I let it run?  Brass was not very dirty to start with.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:06:52 PM EDT
[#29]
The PVC tube is cut at about 9 1/2 inches in length
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By orion251:
Bumping this since the SS pins I ordered from Bullseye Friday night arrived today.  Got about 150 .223 cases tumbling in the HF tumbler I've had since I first saw this thread .  1lb of pins, shot of dawn, 1/2 9mm case of Lemishine and water to cover 1lb of brass in each drum.  How long should I let it run?  Brass was not very dirty to start with.
View Quote

My first run of some not-so-dirty Federal 6.8 was 3 hours (yrmv)
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Picked up the tumbler yesterday and now just waiting on the glue to dry on my PVC tube.
Should have my 1st batch going in the next few hours.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey Guys

Just curious, as this thread has been going for a long time.  Is everyone happy with the quality of the Harbor Freight tumbler or do you wish you had help out for a better unit?  For instance a Thumler's AR2.

Also, where is the most economical place to buy SS Media?

TIA
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I've only used the Harbor Freight tumbler once but I can attest this method works amazingly well. I had the worst looking range brass you ever saw and it came out shiny. I've heard of folks switching the belts that come with the tumblers with matching vacuum belts where available. I have a HF dual tumbler but have acquired a industrial motor to build my own tumbler with large PVC. Go to the Stainless Tumbling Media website and check it out. That's where I got my media and they have their own tumbler along with one of the more common tumblers available too (Thumbler). Anyway, very satisfied with this method. Can't imagine doing it any other way. Especially with really corroded range brass.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Powercat80:
Hey Guys

Just curious, as this thread has been going for a long time.  Is everyone happy with the quality of the Harbor Freight tumbler or do you wish you had help out for a better unit?  For instance a Thumler's AR2.

TIA
View Quote

biggest issue i have is i want more capacity! so now i am in process of building a bigdawg copy. plan to keep the HF around for small batches of range pickups.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:28:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: faldoc] [#36]
Happy with mine, use it several times a month for over a year and a half. It had a problem with the fan loosening from the pulley, drilled a hole, fixed with a screw.  If it dies I'll get another one. I also have a Thumblers B, don't use it as much since the quantities I shoot are suited for the HF.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Hey Guys

TIA
View Quote

Happy with mine - no belt or any other issues, don't want for anything more at this time, would buy same if it dies.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Thx to the OP and other's in this thread who've helped out here.

I do have a ?.

Living out in a rural area and we have HARD well water, I think ph is >8 and water is about 400-600ppm hardness and a lot of calcium in there.  I was wondering if the variable amounts of Lemonshine some users find ideal has to deal with the base water's pH and or hardness of their water?  

My thought is that Lemonshine probably drops pH into an acidic level, whereas a certain pH range is probably ideal.  Maybe low 6's I'm guessing.  More lemonshine making the pH lower could result in the "Black case" syndrome some talk about?

I didn't read all 30 pages of this so if that was discussed please forgive me.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By RandyLahey:
Thx to the OP and other's in this thread who've helped out here.

I do have a ?.

Living out in a rural area and we have HARD well water, I think ph is >8 and water is about 400-600ppm hardness and a lot of calcium in there.  I was wondering if the variable amounts of Lemonshine some users find ideal has to deal with the base water's pH and or hardness of their water?  

My thought is that Lemonshine probably drops pH into an acidic level, whereas a certain pH range is probably ideal.  Maybe low 6's I'm guessing.  More lemonshine making the pH lower could result in the "Black case" syndrome some talk about?

I didn't read all 30 pages of this so if that was discussed please forgive me.

View Quote

I don't have an answer for you but the next time you go to the grocery store get a few gallons of "drinking water" or distilled water. It's pH neutral and should be fairly inexpensive and see if that works.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#41]

oh sorry, I don't have one yet.  I'm researching what I'd want to buy to get into reloading so I don't pester everyone with noob questions.  So i guess I took my noob question off the reservation with this one lol.  

Personally, I don't think well water would matter really as long as it was dried nicely, and I could get some RO water from my wifes plant water machine/processor.  So it's not a huge deal really, just my curiousity at work

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Ummmm, I did read the first page of the thread and several thereafter.  Just not all 20 pages.  What i wanted to understand, as this thread has been going more than 2 years now, are people happy with their original decision.  The first page was when all this equipment was new.  What about after 2 years.  Only one person commented that they had a HF Tumbler for 2 years and one of the containers started to crack.  He fixed it with duct tape.  See I really did read the first page,  but thanks for the help..
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#43]

Ummmm, I did read the first page of the thread and several thereafter.  Just not all 20 pages.  What i wanted to understand, as this thread has been going more than 2 years now, are people happy with their original decision.  The first page was when all this equipment was new.  What about after 2 years.  Only one person commented that they had a HF Tumbler for 2 years and one of the containers started to crack.  He fixed it with duct tape.  See I really did read the first page,  but thanks for the help..
View Quote

Several pages ago there was talk of a PVC pipe mod using common home box store parts.  I guess it holds a bit more too, although I never did see how much vs the stock rubber ones.  Only c/o I hear of breakage was in belts.  Some got other belts some improvised with rubber bands or vacuum belts or something of the sort.  Overall, as long as you don't want to wash more than 100-125 5.56 cases at a time, and can either deal with the hassle of flipping the barrels(PVC mods become more advantageous here I believe), then I guess it can run days/months on end pretty much.

I'm considering getting into reloading and this thread caught my eye.  I wasn't too keen on the videos I've seen using the walnut/corn media to tumble in.  Seem a PIA to get all the small bits out of the primer holes.  This method seems to solve that issue and work better in washing cases to boot.  I get the impression it would be somewhat less work overall(elbow grease anyway) for a better finished product.  I'll probably pick one up shorty, collect brass, and when I get a few 5 gallon pails full; I'll probably spring straight for a progressive press. /rambling

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#44]

I think I'm going to try useing a little cement mixer I have that doesn't get used.
 Ordered some pins today. I'm just not sure whether I'm going to put the brass and media in some other container
   and that in the mixer, or everything right in the mixer itself.
 I'll have to give it some thought. Do y'all think the pins would remove the old cement from the mixer?
  I don't really want that in my brass.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Shooter62:

I think I'm going to try useing a little cement mixer I have that doesn't get used.
 Ordered some pins today. I'm just not sure whether I'm going to put the brass and media in some other container
   and that in the mixer, or everything right in the mixer itself.
 I'll have to give it some thought. Do y'all think the pins would remove the old cement from the mixer?
  I don't really want that in my brass.
View Quote

Try running it with some pins but no brass first, or try a run with some scrap brass.

Better yet throw a box or two of stainless steel washers or screws in there with some water and let them clean it out without potentially contaminating your expensive pins.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Would be nice if we could update the OP with all new found good ideas and advice. Like amount of brass/lemishine/media/time tumbling etc

Kinda a PITA to dig through all 20 pages to find it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Just as a test this weekend I took some of the dirtiest range pickups I had and decided to wet tumble them to see how they would come out. I started with this...

And turned it into this....

I have two of the harbor freight tumblers. This allows me to do about 300 to 350 .223s at a time. I haven't had any problems with the ones I have. I do lube the rollers every now and then. Usually when I am cleaning my presses I'll give them a good squirt. I would say I have done about 4000 .223s, 3000 .380s, and 2500 or 3000 .45s. I usually let them go about 3.5 to 4 hours when I run them. I have found that any shorter than 3 hours and the primer pockets aren't as clean as they should be.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Want more capacity? Use the cement mixer from harbor freight. That's what my friend does.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top