Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/19/2011 10:23:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlliedArmory]
First of all, I want to thank GWhis on ARFCOM for helping me put this together.  He gave me the tube sizes and some insight which helped a lot and eliminated some trial and error.

I only made this for 9mm, so can't comment on other calibers.

$27.58 not including tax and shipping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aBycOUiNEk

Parts needed

Hornady Bullet Feeding Die $23.99
36" 7/16" OD Plastic Tube $2.59 each
Black Tape
5/8" Hitch Pin Clips (2 for each tube)($0.50 each at Home Depot)

The Bullet Feed Die comes with a .355 PTX Powder Through Expander, so you don't need to buy one for your Powder Measure.

Installation of the Bullet Feed Die

1. The die doesn't come with any instructions at all.  I read up on the internet on how to do this.

2. First clean the die and all parts of the packing oil all over everything.

3. Collet A goes in 1st, then Collet B goes on top of it.  Screw the top back on until it contacts the collets and then back it out 1/2 a turn.  Tighten the lock ring.

4. Insert a resized and flared piece of brass in the station you are going to use.  I use station 3.

5. Raise the ram all the way up and screw the die in until it just kisses the brass.

6. Lower the ram and screw the die in 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn.  (Mine was fine at a 1/2 turn)

7. Tighten the lock ring after completed.

Preparing the tubes

1. On 1 end of each tube use your black tape and make 3 complete revolutions around the bottom.  This will give your tube a snug fit in the die.

2. About 1/4" above the black tape, drill a hole all the way through so you can insert your hitch pin clip.  Drill another hole on the opposite end about 1/4-1/2" from the ends.

As you can now see, the hitch pin clips are there to keep the bullets from falling out of either end.  Insert the hitch pin clip on the bottom (side with black tape) and start inserting bullets.  I use Montana Gold 124g JHP and the tube can hold about 60.  Another 8-9 will fit into the die.  If using Montana Gold 124gr JPH 9mm, you can fit exactly 100 bullets into a 5' tube.

You will need to support the top of the tube to something as the weight will bend it and probably snap the tube.  I used a simple backstrap with an eye screw.

All done!  When your tube is empty, just put 8-9 more bullets in the die and add another tube.  I keep about 5 tubes handy and pre-loaded.

Link Posted: 8/19/2011 11:12:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 11:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
NICE! I think I'll try this for my pistol reloads.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 11:47:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlliedArmory] [#3]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
So this is like a primer tube only scaled up?

Well done.

How many bullets does it hold?

GWhis is a handy guy to have around the forum.

Exactly the same idea as the primer tube.

The 3ft tube only holds 60 bullets plus another 6 in the die.  So 3 tubes will get 198 and then do 2 by hand.  Or if you can find a 5ft tube, that will hold 100.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Very cool.  I wonder if you coud rig something up with 4 tubes that rotated like some of the case feeders our ther for Lee and other progressives do.  If you could make that work (albeit heavy)  you could easily get 100 bullets on hand, which matches a lot of case and primer chute capacities.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 2:55:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I was actually thinking of doing something like this. Glad to see that it actually works.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#6]
So now if you added a case feeder, you would just have to sit there and crank the handle after you make sure everything is set up right?
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Does the die flare or do you have to do that in another step?
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By strahd_zarovich:

Does the die flare or do you have to do that in another step?

The expander comes with the bullet feeder die. So if you're using the Hornady lnl powder feeder it will flare it for you. So you won't need to use another station.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#9]
This is very interesting

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#10]
This is very cool.  I'd be interested in a few other sizes too.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:

38/357 and 45ACP would be nice too, but the theory should work the same once you found the right tube.

Link Posted: 8/20/2011 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#12]

38/357 and 45ACP would be nice too, but the theory should work the same once you found the right tube.

1/2" PVC pipe would work fine for 45acp.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#13]
thank's for sharing this i have to do the same thing for when i get my press.
thought ill prob add a collator eventually once i have the time to sit down and engineer it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Very nice! Looks like I am going to have to add one for my LNL.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Scarpa:
So now if you added a case feeder, you would just have to sit there and crank the handle after you make sure everything is set up right?

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74X8SvkpK0Y
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 2:39:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GWhis] [#16]
Originally Posted By AlliedArmory:
View Quote

View Quote

1/2" PVC pipe would work fine for 45acp.
View Quote

Congratulations AlliedArmory!  Your idea had to work, and the hitch pin really does makes it like an oversized primer tube, only a way safer application of it.  Great Idea!  

The clear tubing  from "Linens N Things" comes in sizes 1/16" apart with 1/32" walls.  That means each next bigger size telescopes into the one smaller.  For my Hornady Bullet Feeder project I bought several sizes, and you can buy a clear tubing for any size bullet.  That means you don't have to use opaque PVC for .45 just get a bigger size.  AlliedArmory's Link at the top of this thread, has all the sizes.

As he shows, for 9mm the tubing, a wrap is required to increase the size of the base to fit tight. (you could also try one or more layers of electrical shrink tube). For some of the other calibers, I had to use a Dremel abrasive wheel for plastics to cut a single slit up an inch on one side.  That allows the tubing to squeeze a little and slide tightly into the appropriate feeder die.  See picture below:

To fit the Hornady .45 cal feed die cut a 3" piece of 5/8" tubing, cut a 1" slit in  the bottom to allow is to squeeze just a hair and then run 9/16 tubing through it.  (9/16" tubing for the storage tubes with 5/8" coupler if you wish.)

As described by Allied, the tubing is only 3' high.  You can couple the tubing easily with a 2" piece of the next larger size and some super glue.  Cut 2 inch pieces of the larger size. Glue half of each piece to the top of each tube, and then next tube can be dropped in.

The bullet feeder manufacturers really don't want to see Allieds idea you know....keep your use mum or they may "package" the dies only with the feeders!  Wonder what they will think when they discover their feeder dies are flying out of the factory at a disproportionate speed compared to the Collators???

You guys don't really want AlliedArmory's idea to disappear in the archives do ya?  Also Allied, if more people are going to see this, you ought to rename the thread, "$28.00 Bullet feeder for Any Progressive"  Do it!
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 5:12:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlliedArmory] [#17]
Originally Posted By GWhis:

You guys don't really want AlliedArmory's idea to disappear in the archives do ya?  Also Allied, if more people are going to see this, you ought to rename the thread, "$28.00 Bullet feeder for Any Progressive"  Do it!

Done!
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome! I'll have to keep this in mind whenever I have some money freed up for reloading fun. It would definitely speed up reloading on the 550B.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:17:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wombat] [#19]
Kind of like the Lee bullet feeder but you need a new place for a die.

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#21]
nice!
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#22]
freakin cool!
thanks i like it

want my second born???
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I read the title but has anyone tried it in a Dillon 650?
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 10:40:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GWhis] [#24]
He just invented it...so no...that's your job.  The Hornady Feed die will obviously screw in to the Dillon's tool head....you screw it down until it releases the bullet.  The only other requirement is your normal Dillon powder loading station for pistol reloading has to properly expand & bell the case so the bullet sits upright as you index it to the seater die.  Right?  Any problem Dillon people?

Originally Posted By jblomenberg16:
Very cool.  I wonder if you coud rig something up with 4 tubes that rotated like some of the case feeders our ther for Lee and other progressives do.  If you could make that work (albeit heavy)  you could easily get 100 bullets on hand, which matches a lot of case and primer chute capacities.

If you want exactly 100, just permanently couple another tube together by gluing a 2" sleeve of the next bigger sized tube.  Cut the second tube to just fit 100.  Super glue works if you're patient and let it setup.  But better, would be to just use two temporarily coupled tubes as already described. (which loads 120 9mm)  You don't have to load all 120.

As for the 4-tube setup, it's possible no doubt....maybe Richard Lee will come to the rescue.

The only thing I don't like about all this, is.......I didn't think of it before I bought Hornady's Collator, and went to all the trouble to mod it.

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 5:57:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Looks like you need at least a 5-station progressive for the bullet feeding. Doesn't seem like it would work on a 550.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:21:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By PKT1106:
Looks like you need at least a 5-station progressive for the bullet feeding. Doesn't seem like it would work on a 550.

Meh, decapp/deprime on 1, expand/powder drop on 2, bullet seat on 3, seat/crimp on 4. Not ideal, but if you can get the seat/crimp set right, this could increase output quite a bit.

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Instead of supporting the tube, could you just make it shorter (cut it in half)?

I don't have anything above my press for a few feet and I don't mind changing tubes every 30 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Certainly not on my SDB.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 4:42:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#29]
I just pulled the trigger on some 7/16 9/16 and 1/2 piping.  For a total of 9.44, no tax and free shipping.  I will just get one die for now to give it a go.  I'm going to start with .45 first.

i'll post pics, and go back to the drawing board if the pipe doesnt work with the 45.  i'm not worried about it since that is so cheap.  I feel like this will speed up my process quite a bit.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I just pulled the trigger on some 7/16 9/16 and 1/2 piping.  For a total of 9.44, no tax and free shipping.  I will just get one die for now to give it a go.  I'm going to start with .45 first.  

i'll post pics, and go back to the drawing board if the pipe doesnt work with the 45.  i'm not worried about it since that is so cheap.  I feel like this will speed up my process quite a bit.  

It definitely does.  I went from 100 rds per 12 minutes to just over 9 minutes.  Changing the tubes when loading it super simple and takes seconds.  You have to stop at 100 rds to add more primers too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 1:38:56 AM EDT
[#31]

I had to fix my post concerning sizes needed for .45.   Sorry...bad memory I guess.  Anyway you need a 5/8" tube too, for .45.  Hornady's die opening is just under 5/8" so I made a 1" slit in a 2 or 3" piece of the 5/8" tube.  That will slide into the die.  Then Just use 9/16" for your bullet storage tubes.  The 9/16" tube will slide into the 5/8 piece stuck in the die and will stop in the die as it funnels down.  I suppose you could wrap lots of electrical tape in place of it of the 5/8 tubing.  The 1/2" tubing will accept .45 bullets, but just barely.  9/16 works better.  The small pipes you bought will work great for .40 S&W.

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#32]
I ordered the 5/8 too, no big deal.  I load .45, .44mag, .40 10mm and 9mm.   So I will use them all.  Maybe the op could be updated with the sizes of tubing for the bullet sizes, to help others who don't feel the need to reload every caliber known to man.  The linens and things free shipping is a hell of a deal, never though I'd buy reloading stuff there.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I ordered the 5/8 too, no big deal.  I load .45, .44mag, .40 10mm and 9mm.   So I will use them all.  Maybe the op could be updated with the sizes of tubing for the bullet sizes, to help others who don't feel the need to reload every caliber known to man.  The linens and things free shipping is a hell of a deal, never though I'd buy reloading stuff there.  

I'm sure the O.P. will read this, plus I struck the mistaken info and added the new in my original post in this thread.  Each size caliber requires its own minor adjustments, but the tubing is pretty versatile and I've made it fit Hornady's feeders for .357, .9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP. so far in my Hornady Bullet Feeder Project:

Part 1
Part 2 (using tubing)

The beauty of what you are doing, is that if you ever want to buy Hornady's collator, you already have the dies.

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#34]
does this even save time?
you need to manually load the tube with projectiles then mess with getting it to feed right.
i can go pretty dang fast pulling a bullet by hand and placing it  on the ready case.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By par0thead151:
you need to manually load the tube with projectiles then mess with getting it to feed right.
i can go pretty dang fast pulling a bullet by hand and placing it  on the ready case.

It cut my time from 12 minutes per 100 to just over 9 minutes.  Loading tubes is easy.  I just do it while watching tv.  Setting the dies up is a breeze, but it does need a decent amount of flare.

For he price it took to set this up, I believe it is worth every penny.  I don't look for speed, I look for convenience.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 5:23:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlliedArmory] [#36]
Check out GWhis's post about different tubing sizes.  I only have this for 9mm, so cannot verify myself what size tubes fit.  As long as you know the diameter of the opening of the die you can get tubing that will work fine.

If you guys can verify 100% that a certain tube size works, I'll add it to the post for everyone to see instead of having to dig through posts.

Hope this contraption helps some people out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:21:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By par0thead151:

It cut my time from 12 minutes per 100 to just over 9 minutes.  Loading tubes is easy.  I just do it while watching tv.  Setting the dies up is a breeze, but it does need a decent amount of flare.

For he price it took to set this up, I believe it is worth every penny.  I don't look for speed, I look for convenience.

Obviously the more rounds you plan to load, and the more tubes you have loaded and ready, the more time you save.  But there are other advantages:  You will never smash your fingers feeding a bullet, you can devote more attention to make sure each operation is working right...especially powder levels in each case, and in the case of those reloaders who don't have case feeders, it means one less component to juggle for each throw of the press handle.

There's not much you can do in reloading that doesn't required undivided careful attention.  Loading tubes of bullets could be one thing worth multitasking, IMO.  Another is loading primers into RCBS/CCI APS primer strips.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#38]

Check out GWhis's post about different tubing sizes.  I only have this for 9mm, so cannot verify myself what size tubes fit.  As long as you know the diameter of the opening of the die you can get tubing that will work fine.

If you guys can verify 100% that a certain tube size works, I'll add it to the post for everyone to see instead of having to dig through posts.

Hope this contraption helps some people out.

I'll post some sizes.  I got 4 different size tubes on the way, but I only ordered the .45 auto feeder die for now.  I'm happy to be a bit of a guinea pig in this since the feeder die is the expensive part, and you need that no matter what.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Keen to keep track of this

Using a 550 press set up for 45 Colt, using lead bullets

Will the 45ACP die also work with the 45 Colt ?
(...I have seen a modification on YouTube for using lead bullets in 45ACP - so guess that the same process will apply for the .454 dia slugs in the 45 Colt...)

Once Hornady sort out the rifle bullet feeder system/dies I'll be all over them like a rash - .223, 6.8, 30-cal
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:00:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GWhis] [#40]
The Hornady Pistol Bullet feeder comes with only three sizes of spring tube.  The RCBS Pistol bullet feeder comes with only 2 sizes of spring tube.  That indicates that the feed dies are the only really critical parts, that are caliber specific.  While the Hornady makes a separate die for each caliber, RCBS has plastic inserts for a single die that allows caliber change.  Finally, you can buy RCBS Feed dies separately (due to the Hornady competition I'm sure), so that you can have a separate feeder die for each caliber.  That means a die for each tool head in the case of Dillon and RCBS presses.  So now you have a choice which brand die you can use.  Unfortunately Saddler's need for .45 Long Colt isn't available so far that I'm aware of.  The length of the bullet bypasses the fingers that catch and release a .45 ACP in either system.  Maybe next year.

The Hornady method is more straight forward as it has 3 die openings that you need to fit clear tubes to, due to their three spring sizes.  So once you have a tube size that mates well with the particular die, you can insert smaller (telescoping) tubes inside, (of say a 3" long "mating tube") until you have the one best fit for the bullet size.  Clear as mud?

Since RCBS only has one feeder die they have "bullet" guides for each caliber (including spring size).  These drop into the top of the die and convert it along with the right sized plastic die innards to the caliber you want.  To use the now separately available universal RCBS Feeder Die with AlliedArmory's idea, you have to make your own bullet guides, by using several telescoping tubes glued together, that will stop where it needs to inside the die, and allow your select "feed tube" to drop in the top.  That's not that hard with a little super glue.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By GWhis:

Unfortunately Saddler's need for .45 Long Colt isn't available so far that I'm aware of.  The length of the bullet bypasses the fingers that catch and release a .45 ACP in either system.  Maybe next year.

Looks like this guy on YouTube - MotorcycleSniper (the video I mentioned earlier [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJro27cx0yA[/youtube] ) - is using a very similar style of lead 45 ACP bullet to the lead Keith bullets I use in my 45 Colt.

Given the nature of the surface of the lead bullets compared to metal covered styles, I'd guess that NO MAKER will be in a hurry to release a bullet feeder that is 100% guaranteed to work with lead bullets

That's where sites like this & YouTube pay dividends as we can work out the tweaks  & modifications and share info for the greater good
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#42]
So what are the chances this would work on a Lee turret press? Anyone see any reason why it wouldn't?

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By medic_man:
So what are the chances this would work on a Lee turret press? Anyone see any reason why it wouldn't?

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.  Just make the tube stable on top since it will be doing circles.  On a turret the top rotates and on a progressive the bottom does.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#44]
That's kind of what I figured, but I wanted someone smarter than me to answer that. I couldn't see why it wouldn't work.

Link Posted: 8/26/2011 7:00:49 AM EDT
[#45]
I know have a new challenge.  Modifying the collets in the feeder die to feed lead bullets.  There is couple videos on youtube, on how to do this so I'll have to take a look.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 2:00:25 PM EDT
[#46]

I believe you are right and I have a 550 :(

Link Posted: 8/26/2011 3:19:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIZZO_ARAKM14] [#47]
Originally Posted By panther308:

I believe you are right and I have a 550 :(

It will work, you'd just have to seat and crimp at the same time at station #4.

...decapp/deprime on 1, expand/powder drop on 2, bullet seat on 3, seat/crimp on 4. Not ideal, but if you can get the seat/crimp set right, this could increase output quite a bit.

Link Posted: 8/26/2011 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#48]
I might give this a try.  I have a 550, so I'll have to play with the seat/crimp on #4, but ....that shouldn't be an insurmountable issue...
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Just curious if anyone has gotten this to work on their 550 yet.  It's still working perfectly smooth on my LNL AP.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 11:55:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Does the 550 have enough stations?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top