Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, I'll look into it.
View Quote

Find BoB himself on 1 or 2 of the DILLON Reloading pages on Facebook,, just seen him here a little bit ago..  "BOB"

550 chute at Ebay
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagged because I am revamping my reloading setup this week
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Great thread!
Anyone have some tips on getting Varget to meter CONSISTENTLY through my 550's measure?
tia
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Great thread!
Anyone have some tips on getting Varget to meter CONSISTENTLY through my 550's measure?
tia
View Quote

Google --> Dillon powder measure polish or  Dillon powder measure mod..
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great thread!
tia

Did the Tom Freeman mod (aka polished measure & deburred bar) and still all I can do is 23.4-24.1 for a spread using varget. I have the Uniguetech micrometer on the powder bar to eliminate internal movement from the loose threads.
I count 1 mississippi.....2 mississippi etc before lowering the ram. I do NOT get spilled powder (I'm waiting long enough for all powder to drop) but still a .7 gr spread is way too much IMO.
My hopper was old and badly tarnished, so I went to a larger hopper with a baffle. Still no joy.
I even tried running my tumbler on the same bench as the 550 to act as a vibratory powder settler. Bench is a F*CKIN BEAST! No movement there.
The only thing I havent done is sacrificed small animals to Mike Dillon.
HELP!

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Never used  Vargert but have a friend that does in his Dillion and has had a smaller variance than you are experiencing, but a variance none the less and he gave up on the Dillion PM with Varget.
My self, I have had very small variances with Titegroup and H335 that I should not of had. Amongst the mods you have done I also polished the insides of all my PM funnels and that ended that.
The funnels are hardened and not smooth inside. They should have a 50 micron or better finish inside but are not made that way. I could not bore it out with a drill bit. What I did was find a bit smaller than the inside bore chucked it up in my lathe, wrapped the bit with steel wool and medium grit compound. Ran that for about 2 minutes then used fine compound for about 2 minutes. It came out much smoother than it was. You can do the same with a drill.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I just remembered that I did that too, but I just polished mine with a hard felt pad & red jewelers roush.(sp?) with the Foredom.
I couldnt get all the lines polished out but it's mirror smooth. There was a LOT of machine marks in there. It's a wonder it threw ANYTHING smoothly.
I have a metric shit ton of varget, so I need to make it work.

I've researched the shit out of this and I think I've read everything on the web in reference to this.
My eyes are bleeding....
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 6:10:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tired of this?

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/arfcomaje/Guns/IMG_20131212_152955_108_zpsac062e66.jpg

Spent Primer Chute

Materials needed:
XL650:
.44 mag case
5/8" diameter tube

.38 Special case (Square Deal)
1/2" diameter tube

Step #1

Drill out the primer pocket of the spent case.   The large primers are .210" or so in diameter, so I chose 1/4" just to be sure.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/arfcomaje/Guns/IMG_20131212_155408_811_zpsb6c16d33.jpg

Step #2

Remove the bracket for the spent primer catch.   Insert fired case through the hole (pictured for Square Deal)

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/arfcomaje/Guns/IMG_20131212_161246_602_zps511870f0.jpg

On the XL650, you only need to back off the screws enough to slide the rim of the .44 case in between the bottom of the press and the top of the bracket.

Step #3

Drill the appropriate sized hole through your bench.   As seen from the bottom:

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/arfcomaje/Guns/IMG_20131212_163549_670_zps75b25602-1.jpg

I attached a lid for a plastic bottle to hang it, but I have since removed it and fed the tube right into a bucket.

Step #4

Attach the tube to the spent case and replace bracket on bottom of press.

Square Deal:

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/arfcomaje/Guns/IMG_20131212_164059_011_zpse6528adc-1.jpg

XL650:

I added a hose clamp since the tube doesn't fit that tight on the 44 case.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p505/arfcomaje/Guns/20141227_170132_zpsj3whvzo3.jpg

View Quote

That's awesome! My 650 doesn't make too much of a mess with spent primers, but that idea is the cats ass! Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#10]
What a nice find...the information here is awesome....thank you everyone for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been in the process of expanding the caliber conversions for my 550 and while I would like to have a set powder measure for each toolhead, that would be a pretty big chunk of change. Last night it dawned on me that I could buy just the powder bars and set them up for specific loads and swap them out instead. Is anybody else doing this? Am I overlooking anything that might cause issues?

I really wish someone made a good, well marked micrometer style adjustment knob for the Dillon powder measures, but so far I have not found anything. After reading this thread I do see the primer collection tube conversion coming in the near future.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Done
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#15]
OK, NY resolution time. I strapped a "personal pleasure" device on.

My 550's PM, not me you perverts! :D Anyway, I was having problems with extruded powders. Particularly VarGet. I first tried 4895 since it was already on the bench. I'm pretty sure it'll hold .1 or a .2 variance. Promising! Dumped the hopper, quick wipe down with the bounce. Results? The varget seems better than before (23.4-24.1 gr variance) I was getting 24.4 to 25.0 gr vari. BUT....most of the drops were 24.6 to 24.8. There was only an occasional 24.4 and 25.0.  
Better? yea. Great? Ideal? No!
I wouldnt even be doing this but for the fact I have 20 +++ lbs of varget and 4895 (each)
FWIW I've done all the internet mods (freeman etc) and I DO have the Uniquetech micrometer on the bar.

Also: The increase in powder was solely due to the hummifier. I did NOT change the setting on the micrometer!
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#16]

I'll be damned. It's been a while since I searched for one, so I either (probably) missed it, or it was put on the market since then. Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The $1.57 investment for the tube shouldn't break anyone with a reloading setup anymore than a roll of electrical tape would.  The fact that I don't have to empty the bin into my scrap bucket is a bonus.
View Quote

I prefer using 44 brass, tape seems cheap to me (feels weird sayin that in this thread)
looks better than tape
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use some black JB Weld stuff and made crude lip to start, then took file and clean/straighten it all up to fit snug under platform when installed
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OK, NY resolution time. I strapped a "personal pleasure" device on.

My 550's PM, not me you perverts! :D Anyway, I was having problems with extruded powders. Particularly VarGet. I first tried 4895 since it was already on the bench. I'm pretty sure it'll hold .1 or a .2 variance. Promising! Dumped the hopper, quick wipe down with the bounce. Results? The varget seems better than before (23.4-24.1 gr variance) I was getting 24.4 to 25.0 gr vari. BUT....most of the drops were 24.6 to 24.8. There was only an occasional 24.4 and 25.0.  
Better? yea. Great? Ideal? No!
I wouldnt even be doing this but for the fact I have 20 +++ lbs of varget and 4895 (each)
FWIW I've done all the internet mods (freeman etc) and I DO have the Uniquetech micrometer on the bar.

Also: The increase in powder was solely due to the hummifier. I did NOT change the setting on the micrometer!
View Quote

Did I not see this on Facebook here in last couple hr.... Eric ...... ?
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Yea, I'm a lazy bastid. Cut & paste.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#21]
After fighting a Lee Loadmaster for 15 years, I finally decided to put to work an old 450 that I got in a trade. I shopped at Dillon for all the upgrades, and commenced to load about 6000 rounds without a hitch. My one deviation from standard protocol was to use a Lee Pro Auto Disc powder measure, having accumulated 5 of them from the bad old days. Used with the Lee powder drop die, it has worked flawlessly and is considerably less expensive than the Dillon. My powder drop weight deviations are 0.1 to .2 gr. with HS-6 and about the same with H335 with the double disc system.

Your mileage may vary....
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:12:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Some very good ideas there.  Thanks for sharing them.
May I add one-The button handle, made for guys like me with big paws.  Just empty the milk jug and carve away.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/DVCER/IMGP0025.jpg
View Quote

I'm off to go make a set of these, thank you.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
. Last night it dawned on me that I could buy just the powder bars and set them up for specific loads and swap them out instead. Is anybody else doing this? Am I overlooking anything that might cause issues?
View Quote

That is what I do, I set them up on a sheet of flat glass and adjust the bar to where the powder is even with the top of the bar. This cuts down on the number of times I must do check drops to get the bar spot on.

V
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That is what I do, I set them up on a sheet of flat glass and adjust the bar to where the powder is even with the top of the bar. This cuts down on the number of times I must do check drops to get the bar spot on.

V
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
. Last night it dawned on me that I could buy just the powder bars and set them up for specific loads and swap them out instead. Is anybody else doing this? Am I overlooking anything that might cause issues?

V

Had not thought of that. Do you weigh the charge you want, put the powder in the bar and adjust the screw until it is even? If so do you use glass on the top to make sure the powder fills the bar?
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for all the tips and tricks.

Not new to reloading, but recently new to progressives....went with the 550B

Biggest concern was accuracy of powder dump (am used to measuring individually/rifle)

Polished the powder funnel to mirror finish upon opening the box, and set up according to directions.

Throwing True Blue and Silhouette dead nuts on every time for pistol.

Granted, they are ball or small .... but am frankly surprised by accuracy of the powder dump out of the box.

Thanks for tips
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Thanks for all the tips and tricks.

Not new to reloading, but recently new to progressives....went with the 550B

Biggest concern was accuracy of powder dump (am used to measuring individually/rifle)

Polished the powder funnel to mirror finish upon opening the box, and set up according to directions.

Throwing True Blue and Silhouette dead nuts on every time for pistol.

Granted, they are ball or small .... but am frankly surprised by accuracy of the powder dump out of the box.

Thanks for tips
View Quote
Make sure your press is very solidly mounted.  If your powder measure is swaying around when you crank the press arm, your drops will be all over the map.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Any tips for 223/556 cases tipping over while feeding into station one? In the channel the case I have have plenty of contact, the initial sliding into the groves is where they fall over. It I go really slow it wont happen.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Done
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Check for nicks, burs, or media in the groves of the Station 1 Locator (channel).  If it's clogged, clean it out with a dental pick, if the lips are beat up I take a small file and smooth out the grove.  When they get too bad I call Dillon and ask them to send me a new one.  I've had to replace my .223/5.56 Locator a number of times over the years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any tips for 223/556 cases tipping over while feeding into station one? In the channel the case I have have plenty of contact, the initial sliding into the groves is where they fall over. It I go really slow it wont happen.
Check for nicks, burs, or media in the groves of the Station 1 Locator (channel).  If it's clogged, clean it out with a dental pick, if the lips are beat up I take a small file and smooth out the grove.  When they get too bad I call Dillon and ask them to send me a new one.  I've had to replace my .223/5.56 Locator a number of times over the years.

What if it's a brand new machine? Should I polish the feed bar or spray some silicone on it? The surface looks clean to me and to the touch.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'll be damned. It's been a while since I searched for one, so I either (probably) missed it, or it was put on the market since then. Thanks for the link.
View Quote

And "Hot Damn" the microliter equipped powder bars  work awesome!  Worth every penny, and the people at UniqueTek are fantastic.  Fast shipping and very helpful with questions.  They also have a tips section that will give you some good info on Dillion usage.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Easy trick to check powder charge weight if you have an electronic scale

1. weigh primed uncharged case on the scale
2. press the Zero button
3. charge case
4. weigh charged case

I was initially dumping powder from a charged case into the scale pan and weighing just the powder and always ended up spilling some trying to pour it back in even with a funnel
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Easy trick to check powder charge weight if you have an electronic scale

1. weigh primed uncharged case on the scale
2. press the Zero button
3. charge case
4. weigh charged case

I was initially dumping powder from a charged case into the scale pan and weighing just the powder and always ended up spilling some trying to pour it back in even with a funnel
View Quote
I use this when i need to weigh and funnel the powder back.  It's made by RCBS.  Since it's plastic it did have issues of static electricity, but doing the wash with detergent (and let it dry on) and/or bounce sheet methods to remove the static cling has made this thing very reliable and extremely low chance of spillage.

link to RCBS scale pan with intergrated funnel

Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Not near my bench for a few days, but want to add a magnet to the left side of the Strongmount to hold allen wrenches and the 1" Dillon wrench....only problem is that I don't know if the Strongmount is magnetic

If anyone is near their Dillon Strongmount and can slap a magnet on it it'd be much appreciated so I can order a rectangular magnet and have it waiting for me when I get home from the road.

Thanks

Eric
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Not near my bench for a few days, but want to add a magnet to the left side of the strong mount to hold allen wrenches and the 1" Dillon wrench....only problem is that I don't know if the Strongmount is magnetic

If anyone is near their Dillon Strongmount and can slap a magnet on it it'd be much appreciated so I can order a rectangular magnet and have it waiting for me when i get home from the road.

Thanks

Eric
View Quote
Mine's magnetic.  It's also 10 or so years old, guess it's possible for the material to have changed but probably unlikely.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You bench is really neat. I too have a dillon 550 but is about the oldest model. I have had problems using it to reload bottle neck cartridges. 223's jam up in powder feed causing a mess. I asume that case neck burs are the culprit. I have had incredible success with pistol ammo. Have you loaded supper accurate and RELIABL ammo for 308 autos, i.e M1As??? Since there is far more case prepping for bottle neck autos, I gave up on them. Most of my fellow shootiers use their single stage presses for bottle neck carts.
View Quote
If your cases are sticking in the powder die it might mean your die is sitting to low or your cases are to long.  As others have said 'case prep'.  Check that when you pull the lever just as the press tops out the powder bar is just reaching the end of stroke.  If the powder bar is already at full travel before your toolhead reaches max height you might be jamming the cases up in the powder die.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If your cases are sticking in the powder die it might mean your die is sitting to low or your cases are to long.  As others have said 'case prep'.  Check that when you pull the lever just as the press tops out the powder bar is just reaching the end of stroke.  If the powder bar is already at full travel before your toolhead reaches max height you might be jamming the cases up in the powder die.
View Quote
Very true.. but that post was back in 2012.. I hope he had fixed it by now.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Very true.. but that post was back in 2012.. I hope he had fixed it by now.  
View Quote
Lmao time for new specs.  Didn't help I'm on my phone
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Has anyone found a spraypaint that matches  Dillons Powdercoat Blue?
View Quote
Rust-O-Leum Oasis Blue.  Close enough for accessories.  I've sprayed some into a cap and used it to touch up nicks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Adjusting the Fail Safe Return Rod on the Dillon Powder Measures
Keep an eye on your failsafe return rod wing nut, my tends to unscrew after a while and wasn't returning the powder bar into the full forward position
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#41]
ETA:  I have three different micrometer setups and the one in the post above this one is the nicest one!

Issue:  Dillon 650 cartridge insert slide binding at station one.  

I have had this issue off and on for years and couldn't figure it out.  Recently while shooting the shit with a Dillon Rep at the store in Scottsdale, he mentioned that the weight of the blue akro mills cartridge bin, as it filled, would deflect the metal hanger into the slide and intermittently hang up or slow down the slide.  

People put a support or some cartridge boxes under the bin to prevent this.  I tried it and it works.  

Also, the blue cartridge case feed hopper has changed and no longer has a metal insert.  In that area is a molded case deflector.  I know some people put a small piece of metal in that area as a deflector.  I don't recall what this does exactly.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2019 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Please read the EE rules regarding cross posting your ads.  AeroE
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Done
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I believe there are some aftermarket bins that would fit the same way on the Dillon's bin.  My old work place had tons of bins for parts and they would fit.  So if you want to get a larger one you can look at other cheaper options.  Sorry I don't know the brand as I don't work there anymore.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You know........

While the straight pin/safety pine/finishing nail work great instead of the cotter pin, my biggest problem is all the primers that never get to the chute (even when its operating properly).

I just loaded about 500 9mm's and I'd say about 10% to 15% of the spent primers get launched prior to entering the chute.  It  is reallly irritating.  Not only does it make a mess, some of the primers find their way to the primer slide area and foul the operation of the slide by getting in the way.  Talk about breaking your rythm!

Anyone else have this issue?  If I can adjust something to prevent this it'd be nice.  If this is just the way the 550 works, then Dillon should come up with a better design!  JMO.

-ppknut
View Quote
On the 550b, I take tagboard from primer sleeves and cut and bend a piece to fit in the primer catch cup effectively extending the cup higher.

Yes it’s an old post but I came up with the fix before then.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Great thread!
tia
View Quote
I have loaded a good bit of varget with .223 on the 550 with excellent results.

I found that a bit of a bump when you hit bottom on the down stroke, and a 2 sec hold to ensure the power has dropped resulted in far fewer grains of varget left on the shell plate from bridged or stuck charges in the powder die.

Also, did the polish mod a long time back.  I've since quit varget, xbr8208 delivers better accuracy for me and meters better.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Good to review this thread again.  I need to add some labels to some things.

The shotshell light and the bin insert have been very nice, thanks for this thread.  I will add some photos of my steel base and my tape lights soon.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 2:31:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
A lot of this stuff is on the youtube fyi.  You can stop the 650 case feeder with an inverted .223 case. No need to make anything.  I also found that if you make a tab with a hole, it can be used to stop the primer feeder when you are doing other operations on your 650 press.  It goes under the index arm on top of the round primer disc.  Video on youtube.  Here is my tab:

http://i58.tinypic.com/29p3u4i.jpg
View Quote

Can you repost this pic?
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Can you repost this pic?
View Quote

I never did see the original pic but I me?

I use an allen wrench, maybe about a 3/8ths, with the short side shoved down into that pivoting arm that transferscases from the casefeeder downtube’s colored plastic adapter.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top