Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2010 5:52:17 AM EDT
I am wondering if I should choose a specialty primer with a hard cup such as Remington's 7.62 primer or a standard large rifle primer for use in a DPMS type 308 AR. I reload for 223 at the moment and am using Wolf's 223 primer which has a hard cup but they don't have an equivalent for a 308. Is the risk of slam fires that high with properly reloaded ammo where the primers are properly seated? Or is this one of those urban legends?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:31:13 AM EDT
CCI-#34 Mil-Spec primers
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:42:08 AM EDT
If I remember correctly almost all large rifle primers are the same thickness as far as the cup is concerned . I'm sure there may be a brand or two that some would say is softer cup material , but I use CCI, REM.,FED., & WW. with out any problems in both my AR 308's .

Now if you are going for max loads , you may want to use a mag. primer or if you are a bench rest shooter or very long range , a bench rest primer may do it for ya.

I have been shooting & reloading for select fire & semi auto AR's for over thirty years and have used all the primer types (except Wolf )out there & have never had a slam fire . Not saying it could not happen ,but you will have to have a combination of things wrong with the rifle & ammo to make it happen.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:03:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By EWP:
CCI-#34 Mil-Spec primers

Using such extremely hard primers could be a reasonable precaution. Or it could be over-kill & lead to light strikes, or worse, hang fires.

Anyone with more actual, "real-world," qualified experience here?

NOTE: If you are worried about it, you might want to avoid Federal brand primers because the priming compound used is composed of a "basic" formulation of lead styphnate rather than the "normal" lead styphnate formulation found in Win/Rem/CCI brands. Dunno what the russians use.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:05:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By survivalshop:
If I remember correctly almost all large rifle primers are the same thickness as far as the cup is concerned . I'm sure there may be a brand or two that some would say is softer cup material , but I use CCI, REM.,FED., & WW. with out any problems in both my AR 308's .

Now if you are going for max loads , you may want to use a mag. primer or if you are a bench rest shooter or very long range , a bench rest primer may do it for ya.

I have been shooting & reloading for select fire & semi auto AR's for over thirty years and have used all the primer types (except Wolf )out there & have never had a slam fire . Not saying it could not happen ,but you will have to have a combination of things wrong with the rifle & ammo to make it happen.

Well OP - there you go. Nothing to worry about, as I suspected.

survivalshop - thanks for sharing your expericene. It seems quite extensive.

Top Top