Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 9:47:32 AM EDT
I am looking to purchase some Barnes XPB bullets for my 44 Mag and I was wondering if anyone here has used them for hunting? Being a copper solid, I would imagine they retain weight pretty well. I will be using these on whitetail if possible.

Also, I am looking into the Tipped TSX or the regular TSX for my 338 win mag and my 270. Same questions as before, who has used them and were the results acceptable? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If I may step out on a limb here - Barnes TSX and TTSX may very well be the best hunting bullet out there.  At the very least it is equal to the best out there.  Here is why I love this bullet.

-Big for weight - I can load a 150 gr tipped TSX in my 7mm that might as well be a 175gr because with the all copper bullet it has a much larger volume as the same weight bonded bullet.  Copper weighs less than lead, so a 150 gr bullet in all copper is larger than a 150gr bullet that is lead bonded to a jacket.  This works out well because you get a faster bullet that still has the size of a large for caliber bullet.

-Weight retention - Typically on a bonded bullet, you end up with about 60% (+ or -) of your bullets starting weight when it is recovered.  The rest has come apart and you will find slivers of bullet throughout and around your wound channel.  If you recover a TSX (doesn't happen often due to incredible penetration leading to through and through shots) you will find the TSX to have about 98 or 99% weight retention.  If you think about it, the more weight/mass/volume you have pushing through that wound channel, the better.  

-Penetration - You almost always get an entry wound and an exit wound.  I have seen few bullets equal to the penetration you will get out of a TSX, I have seen none that have better penetration.  The only times I've seen TSX bullets recovered after taking game is when it was a head on shot or a sharp quartering shot, when the bullet is traveling the long way through the animal.  Every single shot I've made broadside into the boiler room has penetrated and liquified the heart and lungs and come screaming out the other side.  I'll try to dig up some pictures I've taken.

-Almost perfect expansion, every time - I've seen some pretty shitty expansion on bullets that were the next big thing.  I have yet to see a TTSX recovered that was not a beautiful perfect four petal expansion.  Even the ones I've seen shot into trees come out perfectly expanded.  This is a huge selling point with me as the wound channel is brutal.  

-No metal particles in my meat - I couldn't care less about the lead issue that some scream about.  I just don't like having to watch the meat for metal particles.  The TSX has little to no loss of metal as it passes through the animal.  I know this isn't usually a huge deal, but I feel it allows me to salvage more meat.  

Go to their web page and watch some of these videos.  I have found them to not exaggerate in the least little bit.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/information/high-speed-video/
-
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is a picture of the exit side chest wall of a black bear I shot this spring.  That is an 11mm rope that is through the exit wound.  That bear dropped where he stood and let out an immediate death moan.  Both lungs and the heart were damn near liquid.  

I am a big fan of the TTSX and I do not work for barnes
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it wrong of me to think that is just damn impressive what that bullet can do? I know 338 is a bit over kill for whitetail but I take longer range shots and it's always done the trick out to 300 for me. I think I'm sold on the bullet. Now I just gotta place the order. Thanks again for the info. It's much appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't believe Photobucket censored a picture of a gsw.  I'll try to repost it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top