Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2010 6:35:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 6:36:30 PM EDT by 45-Seventy]
... and I think it's great. My Grand-daddy taught me how to reload when I was a little guy, and the past 10 years or so I've been wondering if there would be anyone left to hand down the knowledge in the future.

I'd been thinking that maybe in todays world with everything going a million miles a minute, nobody having the time to relax, and the way people seem to want instant gratification reloading might be a dying art. But you know what? Every time I see a post where someone is wrapping their heads around charge weights or what kind of tumbler media they should buy, I think, "maybe I was wrong..."

It does my heart good to be wrong sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:48:52 PM EDT
I put off reloading for quite a while because I thought it would be tedious and time consuming. Well it is, but I really really enjoy it. Honestly, I never thought I would.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:52:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:55:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:15:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:19:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:41:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
What I like to see are the fellows we helped a year or so ago start reloading, and they can now start to give advice about the subject.

They have a different perspective than an ole dog, and the pitfalls and traps are fresh on their minds.

And yes, it's satisfying to pass knowledge on to the next generation.

I am now one of those fellows, but 4 years have passed for me.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:42:14 PM EDT
Reloading is the perfect outlet for all of the OCD tendencies that people seem to have nowadays.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:57:39 PM EDT
Who ?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:51:10 AM EDT
Started a couple of months ago as I needed a new hobby.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:57:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
What I like to see are the fellows we helped a year or so ago start reloading, and they can now start to give advice about the subject.

They have a different perspective than an ole dog, and the pitfalls and traps are fresh on their minds.

And yes, it's satisfying to pass knowledge on to the next generation.

I am now one of those fellows, but 4 years have passed for me.

Me too, it has been about a year or so but I haven't ventured away from .45 yet.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:11:36 AM EDT
As long as there are people who shoot precision rifles, shoot a lot of ammo, like doing it or like saving money reloading will be around. Guys like us are the same kind of guy who change their own oil when they could have a shop do it cheap.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:15:46 AM EDT
It's been a little less than a year for me. I've been cranking out 9mm like a madman. Most of the help and advice I have resieved has been from you guys. I think my next step is to go blue...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:20:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
... and I think it's great. My Grand-daddy taught me how to reload when I was a little guy, and the past 10 years or so I've been wondering if there would be anyone left to hand down the knowledge in the future.

I'd been thinking that maybe in todays world with everything going a million miles a minute, nobody having the time to relax, and the way people seem to want instant gratification reloading might be a dying art. But you know what? Every time I see a post where someone is wrapping their heads around charge weights or what kind of tumbler media they should buy, I think, "maybe I was wrong..."

It does my heart good to be wrong sometimes.

I'm 28 and just started reloading. I really enjoy it, it adds a whole new dimension to shooting, plus, I can make a lot of cheap rounds which means I can shoot more. I've been having a lot of fun shooting those plinking rounds and making up good rounds for my bolt guns. So, as long as I don't blow my face off in the near future, I should be reloading for a lot of years to come.

I also want to say thanks to all the guys here that are so knowledgable and helpful for us new reloaders. No snide remarks or potshots, just ideas, help and enoucragement. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:24:33 AM EDT
I started reloading a few years ago, and I have learned a ton. I love it except for prepping crimped rifle brass.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:25:10 AM EDT
My Dad taught me reloading when I was like 15, I'm 28 now and it never gets old, well trimming does. My GF just can't seem to understand the joy I get out off loading my own ammo.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:43:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Claybrook:
I put off reloading for quite a while because I thought it would be tedious and time consuming. Well it is, but I really really enjoy it. Honestly, I never thought I would.

It is the same way with me. I bought a Dillon 550B used at a gunshow about ten years ago and brough it home and a friend showed me how to use it. I did a few rounds and then put it away. Back then .223 was going for about $150/1000 and .308 surplus was plentiful so I had no real need to reload.

About a year and a half ago I got it out and started to reload and I am enjoying it a lot. I have also discovered what all reloaders know and that is I can make better ammo than I can buy.

I have greatly increased my equipment and have almost an obsession with it now.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:03:53 AM EDT
I did the same deal here. About a year ago I asked a few questions, then bought my Rockchucker, and now you bastards got me on the Blue Kool-Aid. But man oh man, the 650 will turn out the rounds for me. Hell, I even bought a Giraud because trimming 223 actually sucks worse than what most people think.

I personally love the gratification of finding a good round or tinkering with new loads. OP, I don't think you have anything to worry about. This hobby will be around for quite some time.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:13:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 9:20:57 AM EDT by DollopLobber]
I started last year and have learned most of what I know from this site. Currently, I have loaded and shot just over 2000 rounds of .223 with zero failures. I purchased a Giraud trimmer this week based on the large amount of positive feedback from members in this forum. I had never even heard of the Giraud until I saw it here. I began with my dad's RCBS single stage kit he bought in the 80's that he only used to reload a box or two of hunting ammo every year. We purchased a second used RCBS press this year and I have upgraded the calipers and scale to digital as well as new tools, trays, and an additional tumbler.

I started stockpiling reloading components and once fired police range brass nearly two years before I ever reloaded a single round of ammunition! That stockpiling resulted in approximately 38,000 rounds of .40 brass that we sold to an ammunition manufacturer. It paid for the trimmer and other upgrades to our reloading setup!

A Dillon progressive reloader is in our future.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:27:03 AM EDT
Grandad had me cranking out shells on a MEC when I was11 or 12 years old. I would spend hours sitting at that thing. Of course, 16 came along, cars, pussy, beer, etc. Finally got back into it about 5 years ago except this time I'm reloading pistol and rifle.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:01:21 AM EDT
strangely enough, it was my wife who suggested that i start reloading.

"now that you're retired you've got time and you love to shoot, sounds like a good hobby for you."
that was 5 years ago. thanks, babe.

it's funny, before i started reloading i would totally skip past the reloading sections in all the catalogs. "looks pretty complicated, how the hell do you even get started?"
baby steps, that's how. pretty much self taught and i bought every reloading manual there was. one of my biggest assets is THIS WEB SITE RIGHT HERE.
it's my go to place and i visit it every day..

thanks all, i'll pay forward every chance i get .
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:24:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 10:25:39 AM EDT by tbonifie]
Many thanks to you "older" guys, I probably would never have got into this without you.

I was one of those new guys about a year and a half ago... and now you've all got me addicted to this thing.

As others, I got into this to "save money on ammo". And as you all noted to me: I haven't saved one red cent, I've probably spent several times more than I would have otherwise

But it's been a lot of fun and a hobby I will likely continue into my own "old age", and will be passed on to my kids, God-willing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:32:28 AM EDT
Many thanks to the older more experienced crowd.
Im slowly but surely making more progress and becoming more confident.
Im happy I have a bunch of great guys and gals to fall back on when a questions arises.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:22:35 AM EDT
I always knew I was going to get into reloading at some point, but it was when I bought a 1858 Remington revolver replica, then a .45 Colt conversion cylinder that I bought a press. You are already loading a black powder gun with the lever; so all you need to learn is the basics of cartridges. There is hardly a caliber that I shoot that I don't have a set of dies for!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:03:10 PM EDT
I've learned quite a bit here. I enjoy the satisfaction of finding the load that works out "just right". Even when they don't, it's emptying good reloadable brass
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:33:55 PM EDT
Its a good hobby. I hope if i ever have a son, to get to teach him.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:07:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:51:01 PM EDT
I started because I wanted to shoot highpower.

Finding match ammo was, for all intents and purposes, impossible at the time.

Now its just cool to load my own

One thing that would be nice with the new reloader questions is that perhaps we can revisit the 'tacked thread', perhaps come up with some type of consensus of equipment:

"The Plinker / Practice list"

"The Match / Precision Shooter list"

"The Shotgun Shooter list"

"The Budget list"

That tacked thread only helped me about 50% when I was making up my first list.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:07:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:11:55 PM EDT
Perhaps I'll start with the Match / Precision shooter list and have people add to that?

How's that sound?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:31:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AeroE:

Too many people try to go on marathon loading sessions and get worn out. An hour here and there loading 50 rounds is therapeutic, and still gets plenty of ammo stockpiled.

This is the OCD component to reloading. It like most characteristics we have can either be an asset or liability to your reloading.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:12:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:14:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2010 5:17:58 AM EDT by moreair]
I have been thinking about reloading for 14 years. Last year I started buying equipment at the hieight of the ammo and reloading component shortage. FInally, after a year of accumulating equipment, supplies, components and building a bench out of an old kitchen table, I loaded up my first batch of .40S&W. I used the free Hornady XTP bullets that came with my single stage press. Here is a picture of batch number one. Thanks for all of the threads and posts, without them it would not have happened. THANKS!!!!

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/2631/l015.jpg
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:36:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:05:11 AM EDT
That was last weekend and they shot great. I just deprimed and resized 50 more cases, they are in the tumbler right now getting the primer pockets clean and the case lube off. I plan on loading them back up and going to the range this afternoon with my Chrony. Hopefully, I will be satisfied with the powder charge weight and can load up a bunch for storage. You are right, I did have a big smile on my facee. Next, I will reload some .223 Remington cases.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:34:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:18:34 PM EDT
Have been reloading for many years but after I found this site (with membership), I took it to a whole new level (and saved money on top of it!); see my recent post regarding making my own case lub. Thanks to all who have helped me along the way - a great bunch here ....
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:02:30 PM EDT
Reloading is just as enjoyable as shooting IMO. Im a lot younger than the average reloader age (or at least around my parts).

Ive been reloading for about three years now, and Im just starting to realize that I will never stop learning in this hobby. One day I teach a friend how to safely reload on his new equipment, the next day I seek the advice of veteran reloaders on wild cat cartridges. The cycle is never ending.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:10:36 PM EDT
I have been spending a grip of time at the bench, reading reloading manuals, at the range, and on arfcom reloading forum ....... But when it comes to reloaders, I'm still a newb. I've read the Speer, Nosler, Lyman, and Hornady manuals (also ABCs of reloading) cover to cover three times each, and I'm lucky if I know at all what I'm doing at any given moment.

One of my reloading buddies is putting a .44 mag fmj solid (I think), in a cut down .50 cal re necked custom case and pushing it almost 4k fps in a gun he built from scratch. Another friend is shooting 2" groups at 300 yards with a .30 WSM at blistering speeds, and it's a light hunting rifle. I'm like, "oh ya, I loaded a k of 9mm 115s last night with 6 grains of HS-6." I'm not cool at all in that circle.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:48:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By moreair:
I have been thinking about reloading for 14 years. Last year I started buying equipment at the hieight of the ammo and reloading component shortage. FInally, after a year of accumulating equipment, supplies, components and building a bench out of an old kitchen table, I loaded up my first batch of .40S&W. I used the free Hornady XTP bullets that came with my single stage press. Here is a picture of batch number one. Thanks for all of the threads and posts, without them it would not have happened. THANKS!!!!

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/2631/l015.jpg

Awesome looking rounds. Feels good doesn't it ? I opened a box of .223 loaded from LC 07 brass and 55 grain Dogtown bullets. It saddened me to load them up. They looked better than any factory load. They wure purtee.

Top Top