Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2010 4:44:12 PM EDT
Hello,

Does anyone on here have a particuarly good load they like for either suppressed supersonic rifle (.223 & .308) or suppressed subsonic (.45 ACP mainly, or 9mm) pistols? -Or do you mainly use the same loads you would for an unsupressed rifle/pistol? -Have you found any particular powders (faster or slower burning) or loads that are noticably quieter and / or more accurate? -What about lower pressure or velocity loads? -Say 800 fps .45acp vs. 950 fps .45acp?

Thanks!
-jtr.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:15:07 PM EDT
I've been playing with suppressed loads quite a bit.

From what I've learned, the faster powders seem to be quieter. I bought the Quickload program & it has helped me get much quieter loads because it tells me what % of the powder burns in the length of barrel I'm loading for. I have loaded subsonics that didn't burn 100% in the barrel with light, lower pressured loads. These got quieter as I increased the loads & pressure & they burnt more of the powder. It's funny to put more powder in & get less noise.

Also, heavier projectiles move slower & help all the powder burn before leaving the barrel too.

I am fortunate enough to be able to reload in my barn, then step out the door & try the load. I have worked up subsonic loads by sound, at night, by the sonic crack, then chronographed them the next day & been at 1150 fps. It seems easier to hear the difference at night, for some reason.

Supersonic - I worked up a 223 load for my dad's suppressed AR15 using 50grain Varmint grenades & N120 (a fast rifle powder). They are MUCH quieter than store-bought loads, but I tuned his rifle to run with these.
Win 296 & IMR 4198 are common 223 powders that are also pretty fast burning & may be quiet.
When I get time, I want to load .308's that I hope will be quiet - I have some IMR 3031 to try, but Accurate 2495 looks promising, too.

Subsonic - The 45ACP is a low pressure round, so I would think you'd want to use pretty fast powders to keep it quiet. I am hoping to get a .45 can someday relatively soon & have been thinking of the loads I'd like to use. Running the numbers for 230g, it looks like N330 will give you the fastest velocity & still burn 100% in a 5" barrel. People use even faster powders, like Clays, N310, N320, etc that will burn even sooner, but your velocity will suffer.

I remember reading the Phd at Gemtech (Dater, I think) - his favorite suppressed 9mm load is N320 with 147g projectiles. You would think, of all the people in the world, he oughta know what a quiet load is. I think only N310 & Clays are faster that the 320.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:24:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 8:24:29 PM EDT by firemedic2000]
great info thanks
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:34:16 PM EDT
Thanks, that pretty much validates some of my thoughts as well. The faster burning powder should be quieter as it will all be burnt up before it reaches the muzzle/supressor. I have Bullseye I am planning on using for both 9mm and .45 acp. It is second only to N-310 for burn rate, faster than N-320, Titewad, and Clays. I have Varget for the .223 and BL-C(2) for the .308. The BLC(2) is a bit slower, but the .308's are 20" and 22" Barrels, and I belive it should burn up around the 18.5" mark if I remember right. (the .45's are approx 5.5" and 8.5" barrels).

The velocity part is suprising though.. I would have thought that a lower powder charge, equating to a lower velocity, would be quieter. -I can see where for the rifle at least, a lower velocity could hurt accuracy. You may have saved me some trouble there, I will not try some of the lower range loads I was thinking about.

Thanks again,
-Jtr
Top Top