Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 2:04:35 PM EDT
But I'd like to

Cabela's has Lee Pro 1000's on sale, and the current volume I'm shooting has lead me to see the benefit. Problem being, I seriously don't know anything about reloading. I will be shooting everything I reload out of my Glock 19, and would like to use 124 gr bullets. They don't need to be really hot, because all I will be using them for is IDPA practice.

I'm going to Cabela's to pick up the reloader tonight, and wondered what else I need to pick up.

Primers - (type/brand)?
Bullets -  (type/brand)?
Power - (type/brand)?

Anything else I"ll need to get going?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#1]
A good reloading manual would help.  Most manuals explain in detail about the reloading process along with components and receipes.  Good luck
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The first thing to buy is a reloading manual or three, and then read them. Checked the tacked threads at the top of this forum.

9mm uses small pistol primers. I generally use winchester or CCI.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Yes, you need reloading fundamentals. Like knowing how and why each die works. Starting with a progressive is like an ice water submersion into reloading. You'll be overwhelmed so quickly it won't dawn on you your drowning until you've become a popsicle.........

Start with a single stage. Master it within a month or less and then buy your Pro1000................. The thank you you'll be inclined to give won't be necessary but the ass kicken you'll give yourself if you don't,  will be.......

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes, you need reloading fundamentals. Like knowing how and why each die works. Starting with a progressive is like an ice water submersion into reloading. You'll be overwhelmed so quickly it won't dawn on you your drowning until you've become a popsicle.........

Start with a single stage. Master it within a month or less and then buy your Pro1000................. The thank you you'll be inclined to give won't be necessary but the ass kicken you'll give yourself if you don't,  will be.......

Is the Lee Anniversary Kit a good place to star?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is. You will grown later. But, i'm with the others that say get at least three manuals. Maybe more. I have six. And I read them alot.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#6]
This is where your discussion begins, right here. Kit or no kit.... Lee Classic Cast or Lee Breech Lock ? What books to buy ?

I'm in the minority by saying Lee's Anniversary kit is a good buy for a new reloader. You'll out grow just about everything in the kit as you gain speed on your learning curve.... But.... there's that word. You need to learn to use all the things in the kit. Fundamentals.

Most through wisdom gained in hind sight will say the kits aren't a good value....... Everything you need except components and Lee's Modern Reloading Manual. Excluding those items your in the hobby of reloading for under a hundred dollar bill.... You should and will out grow every thing in the kit with exception of the press within a couple to six months depending on your interest and skill level..... and cash out lay. You can invest a couple grand quickly in reloading equipment only to find yourself lacking in the "my needs" department.

Having not started yet... you don't yet know what your needs are or what color they are. The kits are a start to forming a foundation of reloading fundamentals.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I should have gotten one of the Lee kits to start with.  It would have been the Breechlock one.

It would have been a shorter learning curve.

I'm glad I got the Lee 2nd Edition as my first manual.

I'm glad I got the Lee Classic Cast bench ship anchor.

I'm happy with my Lee Perfect Powder Measure

I'm much happier with the Dillon Eliminator scale vs the Lee Safety Scale

When I start reloading pistol I'll be getting the Lee Classic 4 hole Turret press.  It's a psuedo progressive.

If your set on the Pro go here: http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if our hero is struggling under the weight of the Progressive right now
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#9]
It does not matter what color/brand like suggested get a good manual or two, I started with the Speer #14 then after the press came several more manuals, it's not rocket science just follow the book and you will be GTG, find a Mentor if possible but really it's not tough
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Does this look like every thing i'll need to be all set up?

ETA- this is the recipe I found

124 grain  - 7.9gr Blue Dot -  1238 fps
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and even when you move beyond it, you'll pull it back out when you want to work up some accurate loads. SIngle stage is the only way to go for R&D.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/tboneguy915/reloadingstuff.jpg

Does this look like every thing i'll need to be all set up?

Lee 2nd actually recommends, specifically, against Federal primers in their Auto-Prime

eta:  you'll need the dies as well and a Lee case length gauge which screws into the cutter
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#15]
We always preface a newbie with this: buy a book and Google "reloading."  Make SURE it's something you want to do, have time to do, and have a quiet place to do.  We've seen the results of a distracted old hand and he's lucky he still has hands!  Watch the youtube videos, read the articles, make sure it's something you have the patience for.  The economic savings of reloading are only as great as your desire to actually do it.  That being said - now you need to go find a reloading shop and stay as far away from Gratuitous Markup as you can!  Your local shop will have WAY better prices on primers and powder (if they have any integrity at all that is).  <Edited.  AeroE>[/img]

Please take another stroll through the Conduct Code.

The lower left corner of every page has a link where you can find information about becoming an industry partner.

AeroE

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#16]
IDK if it's too late to chime in, but I think (for most people) they would be better suited starting off with a single stage press while they were in the learning stage.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/tboneguy915/reloadingstuff.jpg

Does this look like every thing I'll need to be all set up?

That load is max or very near it. No place for a beginner to start.
Get a reloading manual, use the "start" load and learn what you are doing before you chase max loads.

The very first book to get is "ABC's of Reloading".

This book will guide you on how to pick out reloading tools, how to choose loads, and how to reload.

Take your time and do some research. Start with reading all the info at the top of this page.

The Lee manual actually lists the starting load and the do not exceed load @ 8 gr of blue dot. Blue dot is more of a magnum powder. It'll work, but yeah, it's not a good powder to learn on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top