Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 11:06:07 AM EDT
Guys, in regards to case length trimming for 223, 1.760 is max, 1.750 trim to length, what is minimum or is there a min? I bought some 62 gr FMJBT with cannelure that puts OAL at 2.278 if case is trimmed to 1.750 and crimped at cannelure. Can I safely trim to approx 1.735 to utilize cannelure crimp? What say you?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#1]
No real trim minimum but most people will say 1.74" is about as short as you want to go.

I would just seat the bullets to 2.26 and call it a day.

Can you take a pick of the bullets and/or rounds?

I haven't seen 62 grainers that put the OAL at 2.278 when you adjust the cannelure to be halfway in the neck.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#2]
You want to find a nice length that will get all your cases to the same OAL, yet fit inside the case length gauge (http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/Case_Preparation_Equipment-8-8.html). Uniformity is key!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The length of your case does not affect the cartridge overall length. trim length should be between 1.75" and 1.76". If you want to shoot from the mag, dont go above 2.26" You dont have to hit the middle of the cannelure exactly.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the feedback, I guess I will have to bury the cannelure in the neck, I loaded 5 w/short necks crimped @ cannelure, they fired ok and velocity was safe (23.0 gr TAC). Next step load some with cannelure buried. Update coming.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top