Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 12:47:51 PM EDT
Whats everyone's thought on these.  Do they work as advertised.  I ask because i'm in the market for some new 223 dies.  Its either the X-dies or redding dies.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Whats everyone's thought on these.  Do they work as advertised.  I ask because i'm in the market for some new 223 dies.  Its either the X-dies or redding dies.

Redding Competition. No argument. Also, get the type S sizer die, with a .245 nitride bushing, and the carbide size button kit

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=367998

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=320167
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the X-die set for .223 Rem and .308 Winchester.  Since all my .223 guns are autoloaders, I chose a set with a full length, small-base size die.  There is a lot of discussion over whether small-base dies are a good or bad thing, but I have them because I load only for semiautomatic rifles.

Haven't loaded much .308.  Have loaded a good bit of .223.  However, I have only trimmed and reloaded my .223 brass once.  Can't tell yet whether the X-die actually reduces the need for trimming.

I'm not so familiar with the Redding Competition diew.  Everyone has their pet tools, but you should be fine with either one.  I haven't had any problems with the RCBS X-dies, reloading either commercial .223 Rem or Lake City 5.56 brass.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I *love* my .223 X-Die.  It works as advertised, eliminating the need to trim cases.  For a volume shooter, they're great.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#4]
never had one personally, but using one means you have to keep your brass separated in lots forever and forever - X die prepped/sized brass vs. non X die prepped brass.  

X die prepped means trimming to 1.740"
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:20:17 AM EDT
[#5]
That's the other thing about the X-die.  You trim to a special case length, for some reason.  Not a problem if you're only going to load with the X-die.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been using a .223 X-Die for about 3 years.  Followed the instructions and after a few firings they haven't grown past 1.751".  

How it works, I don't know or care, all I know it it does work and I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been using a .223 X-Die for about 3 years.  Followed the instructions and after a few firings they haven't grown past 1.751".  

How it works, I don't know or care, all I know it it does work and I'm happy with it.

yup, it's like f'in magnets.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
never had one personally, but using one means you have to keep your brass separated in lots forever and forever - X die prepped/sized brass vs. non X die prepped brass.  

X die prepped means trimming to 1.740"

I solved this issue by prepping ALL of my brass at once, and putting my Lee sizer on the shelf. New brass gets put into a bucket,and then prepped in the same manner in big batches.

The X-die prepped brass is good stuff. Having to track it has meant that I've been able to compare it against my pre-Xdie reloads. I've shot 5 round .75 MOA groups at 300yds using it my bull barreled AR,and smaller groups at 100yds with 10+rounds using my RCBS Xdie. So it produces a better reload than my old,trusty Lee die did,given the same components. I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:19:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I solved this issue by prepping ALL of my brass at once, and putting my Lee sizer on the shelf. New brass gets put into a bucket,and then prepped in the same manner in big batches.

Same here, except the X-die is the only .223 die I own, so there's no chance of mixing differently-trimmed brass.
Quoted:
The X-die prepped brass is good stuff. Having to track it has meant that I've been able to compare it against my pre-Xdie reloads. I've shot 5 round .75 MOA groups at 300yds using it my bull barreled AR,and smaller groups at 100yds with 10+rounds using my RCBS Xdie. So it produces a better reload than my old,trusty Lee die did,given the same components. I'm happy with it.

Neat.  Is there a generalization to be made here - somehow shorter case length is good for accuracy in your particular gun?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top