Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2010 5:34:28 PM EDT
I finally got a chance to take the AR out to the range today and play with some loads I worked up. 80 degrees and sunny...damn fine day!
This is the rifle, it's a RRA NM upper with a 20" Wilson 1-8" twist barrel and a home built Aero Precision lower with a RRA NM lower parts kit. The Scope is a Sightron 3-9x42 in a LaRue LT104 mount.

Here is what I came up with..
A productive day I thought...I think(?) maybe the 77 grain SMK's will probably do a little better at 200yds...but they're still rebuilding that part of the range from the Tornado this spring. 100 yards was all I could get today. I tried some Barnes 55 grain MPG's with Win748...and had 0 luck....good with TAC...everything works good with TAC!

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice shooting.  I'm just curious... what primers are you using with the TAC?  Those are some great results that you are getting.  I'm currently using tac under some 75gr HPBT match bullets; however, I'm thinking I might be able to tighten up my groups a bit with a switch from regular CCI SR primers to SR Mag primers (my vertical disp is rather disapointing... not sure if I'm getting consistent / even powder burn)
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:54:31 AM EDT
[#3]
OUTSTANDING!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:01:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I may work up some TAC loads sometime soon. Varget's all good and fun, but I want a good easy to meter ball powder for some quick load dispensing. Just gets a little old having to trickle my loads every time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:29:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, I just might need to go with TAC for my next batch. Those are some nice groups.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:51:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the vote of confidence on the shooting end....I'm a firm believer that a good rifle makes an average shooter look good!
Everything was loded in new Winchester brass with Remington 7 1/2 BR primers.. I ran everything up in to the end of my sizer die, to straighten the case mouth mostly, and trimmed with the Possom Hollow...and if I have to say it again TAC! I'm gonna buy a big bucket of that stuff! I've got about 3lbs left.
Everything I heard about that upper was good, but I didn't expect that. And these are the first handloads through it.
The .308 shot well too, I may not have given the WLR primers a fair shake...they just aren't *quite* as good in this load as the CCI BR-2's..
Oh...and this Remington 700? It gets almost boring to shoot. After about 30 consecutive shots, hot barrel, real hot, the groups will open up to an inch Or maybe it's my shoulder?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Am I reading that right? 46.5 grains of H-380 with a 168 SMK?

Excellent groups with the .223 also. RRA 1/8 twist service rifle uppers are a good choice for NRA highpower matches.

Did you happen to chronograph these loads?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, 46.5 grains of H380 and a 168 grain Sierra Match King. CCI BR-2 primers are preferred over the WLR for me. I've shot some .364" groups with it, but 1/2" and a hair less is very common. I need to try some 175's in it.  I got the rifle from a friend, and the custom hand dies and the load info. I thought I could come up with something better, powder wise? Wrong....it works. BLC-2 comes pretty close. Even switching primers around opens up the groups a little. My buddy and his pops, definately did their homework. My understanding was, 5 rounds were fired when the rifle was new, and the brass from those rounds were sent to Neil Jones Custom Dies, and he took it from there. All I know is when I needed a new de-capping pin, he was a very nice guy to deal with.
It'd be kind of fun to try a high power match once...or at least watch and see how they work? Doubt I'd be very competitive at it, but it would be interesting to see.
I wonder if they have some kind of varmint rifle class that allows optics? That would be fun!

ETA: No chrono, sorry. I think the Sierra manual showed the 69 grains @ 2700 fps? Maybe 2600 on the 77 grainers? Those seemed to be the "magic accuracy numbers" in all of my manuals, so I just worked up to it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice shooting.  I like H380 and 168 Match Kings in the 30-06.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe it's a .308, not a .30-06.

F-Class allows scopes, bipods or rests. That would be the match to enter. They usually will run them side by side with the NRA service rifle/match rifle tournaments at 600 yards. It's called a Mid-Range Prone or 3X600 match. They will list it with a FC for F-Class allowed.

You may want to buy a 15 minute scope base. They are almost perfect for 600 yards and .308. You can run a 20 minute elevation base, they are more common because some people want a base that splits the difference between 600 yards and 1000 yards. It's the compromise. I personally prefer a 15 minute base for 600 and a 25 or 30 minute base for 1000.

Ken Farrell makes good ones that come in all sizes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, it is a .308.
I can't say enough good things about Sierra Match Kings, or the Game Kings too for that matter. Those folks build a hell of a bullet. I suppose that is why it's the standard all others are judged by?
I've had very good luck with the 55 gr v-max in my mini-14, and about any of the XTP pistol bullets, but not much else. Couldn't make the 150 gr SST's shoot in the .308. I'm guessing they're just fine, I probably need to be more patient.
600 yards....that's out there isn't it? I need to find someplace to try to lay some up that far. About 300 is the most I've done. I have rung a steel plate a couple of times at 400 with my .270, that ballistic plex in the Burris Fullfield works fairly well, minute of big steel plate anyway? I think it'd drop an antelope maybe....If I ever draw a tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top