BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mekks:

Has trouble finding the items local so I bought some dillon spray lube while placing an order for some powder. I resized 2500 cases lastnight (.223) and OMG! this is so much faster than imperial wax. And also no shoulder dents!

Soon as I hit the 1/2 way mark on this dillon bottle I will order some stuff to make bootleg lube!
View Quote
Do you have a Whole Foods near you? They sell Lanolin. Just go to the Auto store and get ISO Heet for the 99% alcohol.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:
Do you have a Whole Foods near you? They sell Lanolin. Just go to the Auto store and get ISO Heet for the 99% alcohol.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mekks:
Has trouble finding the items local so I bought some dillon spray lube while placing an order for some powder. I resized 2500 cases lastnight (.223) and OMG! this is so much faster than imperial wax. And also no shoulder dents!

Soon as I hit the 1/2 way mark on this dillon bottle I will order some stuff to make bootleg lube!

Unfortunately, not all Whole Foods stores stock lanolin.  I visited BOTH of their stores in San Antonio, and even the mothership/flagship/amusement park store on Lamar in Austin (their headquarters store), and none had lanolin of any kind on hand.  Shea butter, yes, but don't try lubing cases with that!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I still have 3 oz left. I can send you 2.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MrTinkels:
I wanted to bump this thread to let people know ( Might have already been said ) If you go to walmart and ask for 99ipa they can order it for you. Mine took 1 day and it was 7 bucks.
View Quote

Also, I found out my local Safeway grocery store stocks 99% IPA, was 4 bucks for 16 oz.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 11:35:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: anon] [#5]
I mixed up a batch at around 9 to 1.  

Put it in an old Dillon bottle and see that it looks a lot more concentrated that the original.

Haven't tried it yet, but I may be able to go well below 9:1.

Anyone found the sweet spot?
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 1:35:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#6]

Originally Posted By anon:

Put it in an old Dillon bottle and see that it looks a lot more concentrated that the original.

View Quote
I only tried 12:1 and its pretty sweet lol. Can probably go thinner but this works great.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I only tried 12:1 and its pretty sweet lol. Can probably go thinner but this works great.
View All Quotes

+1 drop of dawn makes it work very well. I haven't tried any other concentration except the 12:1.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#8]
After reading this thread, I ordered some liquid lanolin and bought some IsoHeet. Mixed about 1.5 ounces LL and the 12 ounce bottle of IsoHeet.

Put a bunch of .223 cases in a cardboard box and gave it a couple light sprays of the homemade lube. Shook things around and gave it another spray or two, making sure I got some in the case necks. Let it dry for about ten minutes, and then ran the cases through my Lee FL sizing die. Man what a difference! Everything went smooth and silky, with not a hint of a case getting stuck. It was actually smooth enough, I could feel the slack in the die closing up and the shoulder being bumped back.

I'm thrilled. I've held off on reloading much .223 because case prep is such a hassle. I was previously using Imperial wax, but that was a pain. It's slow, doesn't work as well, and even 30 minutes in the tumbler afterward still left the cases feeling gunky. This is worlds better.

Thanks to the OP for getting the secret out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#9]
It's good stuff.
Much better than anything else I've tried
I'm running it at about 15-16 to 1 now.
Not as messy and it's working very well for my 223 brass.
I'm lucky as I can get lanolin(hippy store) and 99%(Safeway) locally.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#10]
i odered some oil went driving around today to try to find a empty spray bottle no luck.  i have some in the garage but there all have stuff in them and cant remember where i bought the dam things at

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By flynbye:

i odered some oil went driving around today to try to find a empty spray bottle no luck.  i have some in the garage but there all have stuff in them and cant remember where i bought the dam things at

View Quote
Most grocery stores carry them.

Link Posted: 2/25/2014 12:12:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By flynbye:

View Quote

I found mine under the mops and brooms in the cleaning supply aisle of Walmart. I know Home Depot carries them in the cleaning supplies aisle as well--I have a couple I've had for years which hold Purple Power. Still going strong.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#13]
well it warmed up to 20 today so I went in the garage and resize 100 rd of 223 and this stuff is nice.  but when it gets cold it thickens up a little bit or may I just sprayed to much on so I added just a little more achool to the mix I think every thing will be just fine
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By BigHunt:

Thank You!  I have been trying to figure out a good cheap way to make a good homemade spray lube.  

I second the Iso-Heet as it is 99% Isopropyl alcohol and is the only way I have been able to get Isopropyl that pure.  The drug store has 50% 70% and 91%.

View Quote
AMAZON prime

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 5:53:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hanzerik] [#15]
Think I got the correct stuff. Was trying some Lee stuff I've had for a few years, but it seems like it'll be a pain to do 150 308 cases.

100% pure liquid lanolin (local health food place) $7@4oz
ISO-HEET $1.somthing wallyworld
Spray bottle.

ETA: just used it to size the other 45 cases I had left out of this first batch, worked good. Guess the test will be with the federal 7.62 brass I have left. They are always much harder to size then the black hills and Winchester 308 brass.

Hopefully I did it right: 12 bottle of iso-heet, 1oz of lanolin, mix well. Put brass in big zip lock, give a spray, and shake and bake for a bit, pull them out and place them in a loading block to dry.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

12:1 was perfect for me
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By blazeAR:

Also, I found out my local Safeway grocery store stocks 99% IPA, was 4 bucks for 16 oz.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By blazeAR:
Originally Posted By MrTinkels:
I wanted to bump this thread to let people know ( Might have already been said ) If you go to walmart and ask for 99ipa they can order it for you. Mine took 1 day and it was 7 bucks.

WM's bar code for the 91% is 7906800396 this is from VI-JON

here's another 91% WM product

91% Isopropyl Alcohol First Aid Antiseptic, 32 fl oz

In stores only

Model No.: 1000039050
Walmart No.: 551780428
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Love the thread!  Found Liquid Lanolin at Sprouts (pretty expensive at $9 for 4 oz, but I wanted to try it), and down the street was 99% Alcohol at Vons for about $5 for 16oz.  Mixed up a batch at 12:1 last night and used a plastic baggie to spray/mix.  Only put about 4 good squirts in the baggie (100 rounds), then let it dry and ran them through my Hornady LnL.  

Slick as butter!  I'm never going back to any factory lube, lol.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 11:53:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#20]
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#21]
This morning I started sizing a couple hundred cases and after my second stuck case decided I'd finally mix some of this up. I bought lanolin and IPA some last winter for when my imperial wax ran out. I cannot believe how much easier it is to size cases now, almost no pressure required and not even close to getting stuck. I'm sure I wasn't using Imperial correctly or something, but I don't care now. This is way faster and way easier.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Haven't really had any problems with "2-shot" other than price. Found the supplies locally to mix up some of this B.L.C.

Iso Heat and pure liquid lanolin from the local hippy store. Good thing I looked around as the female behind the counter said they did not carry it.

Just need to find a sprayer and I'll give it a shot on some 6.8 brass tonight.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Have to try this.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SCPigpen:
Have to try this.
View Quote

Its works great. Hardest part is finding IPA thats not piss water.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By mattf26:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mattf26:
Originally Posted By SCPigpen:
Have to try this.

No problem finding ISO HEET in red bottle .... 99 % 10 and 12 oz sizes by the shelf full at most auto parts stores and wally worlds cheap
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#26]
My local grocery has 91% IPA (and 70% and 50%) on the shelf all the time.  It works out to be less than denatured alcohol or ISO, at least for me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Which works better??? Lanolin oil or the lanolin solid/creamy stuff?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By azlester:
View Quote

LIQUID lanolin.  The "butter" or anhydrous type needs to be heated to mix, heated to get re-mixed, and it's a pain.  I bought liquid lanolin later to make the more correct mix, and it works much better because it's easier to use.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:

LIQUID lanolin.  The "butter" or anhydrous type needs to be heated to mix, heated to get re-mixed, and it's a pain.  I bought liquid lanolin later to make the more correct mix, and it works much better because it's easier to use.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By azlester:

Very true, I tried the lanolin butter it does not mix well and it does settle. I ordered liquid lanoline off Amazon and mixed it 20:1 with IsoHeat and it works perfectly.

Vince
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#30]
A Bump because of the stuck case thread.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:09:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#31]
Unless liquid lanolin and 99% iso-alcohol are commonly used together you guys have bought enough of that combo on amazon to influence the "Frequently bought together" suggestion when you go to Home Health's Liquid Lanolin, 4oz. Strong work, boys. I'm impressed.

<image removed> as it's off topic to the subject of reloading. You want to post this kind of thing stay in GD. (general discussion) dryflash3
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Tag for later thanks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I read this thread two years ago and tried it.

WORKS GREAT  got the Liquid Linolin on Amazon and ISO Heat at auto parts

Sticky for top of reloading page?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#36]
you are right too many sticky threads that's why I missed it

clean them all out, start with a clean sheet
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Picked up the elusive 99% Isopropyl OH at the local Safeway yesterday, just as suggested in 3rd post of this thread.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Skeet6:
THIS Try this, cheap and works great!!!

(Gardner-Bender Cable pulling lube... read about it I think on surplusrifle.com some years ago...)

Mike B
View Quote

I've got the wire pulling gel that I use for my suppressor - wonder if that would work.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#39]
My local grocery has 91% IPA (and 70% and 50%) on the shelf all the time.  It works out to be less than denatured alcohol or ISO, at least for me.
View Quote

Never use denatured alcohol it contains a mix of various chemicals to denature it ( make it unfit for human consumption). 99% or ISO Heat is the way to go.

V
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:57:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By bags533:

With straight wall pistol cases using carbide dies, then they go right through the press in one process.

No lube necessary with cabide dies?

I've lubed pistol brass for a carbide sizing die to make it easier to size, and it works well. But, in my limited experience, the die gets dirtier quicker when I lube the case, as opposed to when I don't lube the pistol brass with the carbide dies.

As much as I want to give the pistol brass a quick spritz of lube (this has occurred with Hornady One Shot or the Bootleg lube), the sizing die gets dirty enough that I have to clean it before a 100 rounds have been processed.

When I don't lube the  brass (it's all wet tumbled) I don't have a problem with a dirty sizing die until about 300 rounds through it.

This is just my experience, I'm sure I could be doing something wrong.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bags533:
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:
Originally Posted By dryflash3:

Originally Posted By Bassgasm:
In on the third year.

I'm noticing that most of you are saying that you lube the cases, size them, and then tumble them again to remove the lube before loading.

That might work well for a single stage user, but what about a turret or progressive press?

That's the same process I use with my 550.  
Bottleneck cases are a 2 step process.

With straight wall pistol cases using carbide dies, then they go right through the press in one process.

No lube necessary with cabide dies?

I've lubed pistol brass for a carbide sizing die to make it easier to size, and it works well. But, in my limited experience, the die gets dirtier quicker when I lube the case, as opposed to when I don't lube the pistol brass with the carbide dies.

As much as I want to give the pistol brass a quick spritz of lube (this has occurred with Hornady One Shot or the Bootleg lube), the sizing die gets dirty enough that I have to clean it before a 100 rounds have been processed.

When I don't lube the  brass (it's all wet tumbled) I don't have a problem with a dirty sizing die until about 300 rounds through it.

This is just my experience, I'm sure I could be doing something wrong.

I'm about to get started with reloading, so pardon my ignorance, how do you actually clean a die?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Stoop:
I'm about to get started with reloading, so pardon my ignorance, how do you actually clean a die?
View Quote

I use a "Q" Tip and alcohol to swab the insides of the dies. On the sizing die you must remove the de-capping pin.

V
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I have found that 16:1 99% Alcohol/Lanolin is about right to me.  YMVV

I prepare my .223 rifle brass with my single stage press. I tumble just long enough to clean the outside well.

I spray on the lube to about 100 cases at a time in a box with a paper towel in the bottom making sure to get lube inside the necks.

Then size, trim, etc.  When I'm done with the brass prep, I wet tumble them with SS pins, dawn and lemishine.

Then they are ready to load using my RL550B with a universal decapping die in the 1st station.

For pistol, like 9mm, 45ACP, .40S&W I tumble them in walnut hulls with a bit of polishing compound, mine came from Midway.

That's pretty much all I do to pistol cases.  I do check the batch to see if they are in need of trimming, most never need it.

I use Dillon dies in the 550.  The size die is a carbide type die and you don't have to use lube.  But I fold a shop rag in 1/4 and saturate part of it with 16:1 lube.

I then rub my fingers on the rag before I pick up a case and on the way to station one, I rub the case with my fingers.  This gets just enough lube on the case to make go through the size die like it's not even there.

I do about 1 ever 3rd case, just kinda go by the way it feels trying to keep the press going consistently.

This gets so little lube on the case that I don't even tumble it off.  They store well and shoot great.

All these steps were gleaned from users of this forum and I just kinda found what works best for me.  

Except using my fingers to lube the pistol cases.  I just gave that a try and it works great. YMMV

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Ideal Yellow wire pulling lubricant is $6 for a 32 oz  bottle at Lowes.  It works very well and is non-toxic.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:32:58 AM EDT
[#45]
I used a 1:10 lanolin/99% Iso mixture to lube before resizing 7.62x39 Vmax bullets to 308 for use in 300blk loads. Worked better than the RCBS case lube. Letting the mixture dry well on the bullets worked alot better than a shorter drying time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Great stuff and a great thread!

Running 8:1 ratio liquid lanolin to Red HEET.  Works like a champ when sizing.

This is what I bought:  Liquid Lanolin

The price went up alot. I think mine was like $4.50a few months back.  With Amazon, prices fluctuate all the time, so be sure to check other options
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#47]
I have noticed that there is a white flaky substance settling out in the bottom of my lanolin/alcohol mixture.

I can shake it up and it seems to be working about the same as always.  But the residue is still in the bottom.

Anyone else seen this?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:03:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#48]
Originally Posted By overdriv:
I have noticed that there is a white flaky substance settling out in the bottom of my lanolin/alcohol mixture.

I can shake it up and it seems to be working about the same as always.  But the residue is still in the bottom.

Anyone else seen this?
View Quote

Not in mine and its been sitting for months. Probably water.

What % alcohol are you using?

EDIT nvm you are using 99% What kind of Lanolin are you using?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#49]

EDIT nvm you are using 99%
View All Quotes

Anyone else seen this?

EDIT nvm you are using 99%

99% Isopropol and liquid lanolin.  It's not water, because it does not go back into suspension after shaking.  It's a white and flaky.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#50]

Anyone else seen this?
View Quote

Probably not a big deal.  Its likely something else in the Lanolin that is an additive.  I get a little something settling out on mine as well.  I just shake and spray.  No issues.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top