Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/16/2022 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#6]
A nice collection at the San Diego MCRD Museum (son graduated recently). Mostly bayonets, but they work.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I always liked the appearance of those big Buck knives  --   Now that i've used a couple of them afield , i've found limitations with the slick handle, but other than that,  i'm still a fan
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@ROCK6

View Quote

Your blade is coming out of the handle.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I always liked the appearance of those big Buck knives  --   Now that i've used a couple of them afield , i've found limitations with the slick handle, but other than that,  i'm still a fan
View Quote

Blasting it or maybe stippling it might be an option for reducing the slickness of the grip.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A nice collection at the San Diego MCRD Museum (son graduated recently). Mostly bayonets, but they work.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/239278/20221007_092309_jpg-2637145.JPG
View Quote

Hmmm…NGL, I kinda want to put together a display like that for the house.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/239278/20221007_092309_jpg-2637145.JPG

I have a few of those but not enough
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48960/3D831B04-D696-44C4-808D-8836AAE423E0-2330186.jpg
You can just see it inside my waistband behind my handgun. It is a surprisingly comfortable blade to wear IWB as a hedge against a handgun take-away.
View Quote

not trying to flame you or anything but genuinely curious, as I have been working on a setup on my gear and have been playing with knife placement.

my question is, if this placement is "a hedge against a handgun take-away" are you planning to let go of your pistol in order to bring the knife into the fight? or is this setup for a cross draw situation on that blade?

I have been working to find a good spot for a left hand draw for a "fight over my firearm" solution, but cant find a sweet spot. Im not comfortable with a cross draw solution for all the reasons it doesnt work for a handgun.

again, not trying to flame you, just looking for solutions
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Posted this in the GD thread, but definitely belongs here.  

Company called Makers Material Supply has German made bare blades, so I picked up a few. Been on a cutler kick, finished up some old projects, as well.  If you want some blades to mount up personally, GO THERE. Just Google the name.  

Top right is an Imperial M3 fighting knife. Blade and guard Picked up from a gun show, ages ago. Picked up a pommel replacement kit for a Kabar, and this was my first stacked leather grip.  

Top middle is my second stacked leather grip. German M7 blade from MMS. Repro M1917 knuckle guard I've had for ages. Simple with a little figuring. Secured with a soldered copper ring, similar to an E.G. Waterman fighting knife.  

Top left is a Zeitler Z77 blade from MMS. I think they were made as a competitor for adoption, against the notorious Glock knife. Stacked leather, aluminum spacer, and antler. Actually made the sheath for the M7, but it fits both perfectly.  

Bottom I just finished, this evening. Buck 120 blade I scored on eBay. Brass guard, stacked leather, red G10, green micarta, and stag pommel. Screwed up the sheath, but it still works.  

These are all very capable fighters, but the 120 really impresses me. Especially for the cost of a standard model. Wouldn't think twice if I needed a dedicated fighter.

Link Posted: 1/3/2023 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the thought you put in those !   ---    love the re-use of timeless blade profiles combined with a little bit of Mad Max type ingenuity
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I just finished up this 7" Woodsman in 80CRV2 and natural micarta. Black oxide finish on the blade

" />" />
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just finished up this 7" Woodsman in 80CRV2 and natural micarta. Black oxide finish on the blade

https://i.imgur.com/NAOwc2s.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/NAOwc2s.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/SQzYmqY.jpg?1" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/SQzYmqY.jpg?1
View Quote

That’s a solid looking knife.  I like.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Finished up this prototype 4" EDC utility blade in hollow ground 80CRV2 @HRC61
stonewashed black oxide finish, black canvas micarta handle scales with natural pins
this is a handy little fella

" />" />" />
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Interesting thread.  I enjoyed reading about everyone's ideas.

Over the past 40 years my opinion of a "field knife" or "combat knife" has shifted from a hollow-handle "survival type" to the Ka-Bar to the Gerber ASEK to Glock's Field Knife to Benchmade fixed blades to Cold Steel fixed blades and then Busse Combat products.  I've tried carrying knives with blades larger than 6" and find them cumbersome. My favorite "combat field knife" is a Swamp Rat Ratmandu.

Picture Credit(s): Internet Search / Google

The RMD has a 5-3/8" long x 3/16" thick blade made from SR101 (modified 52100 ballbearing steel).  Edge retention and strength are remarkable.  I've been using these knives for over a decade and cannot damage one.

The size is an ideal compromise between "being big enough" yet "comfortable to carry".  I've tried hanging a big knife on my gear and ended up ditching it during the class I was in.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been sitting here thinking about some of the knives I've used in the "combat knife" role ...

USGI Bayonets
AK Bayonets
Gerber LMF (original release)
GerberLMFII
Gerber Intrepid (original release)
SOG Seal Pup
Benchmade Fixed Griptilian
Glock Field Knife
Cold Steel SRK
Cold Steel Recon Tanto
Buck Vanguard
Buck 119
USMC KaBar
USAF Survival Knife
Becker BK7
Becker BK9
Scrap Yard Scrapper 5
Scrap Yard Dumpster Mutt
Scrap Yard 511
Scrap Yard 711
(4 other) Scrap Yards
Swamp Rat Rodent 6
Swamp Rat Ratmandu
(3 other) Swamp Rats
ESEE 4
ESEE 5 ... PIG
ESEE 6
TOPS BOB
Bark River Bravo 1
Chris Reeves Green Beret
(19 models) Busse Combat
Fallkniven S1
Grayman Ground Pounder

...Many Many More...

In the end I just like the 5 to 6 inch blade in about 3/16" stock.  Honestly, 6" to 6.5" would be my preference, but I haven't found "the one" yet.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I spent much of my adult life as a governmental trigger puller in some form. I always carried a knife (often several depending on the AO and applicable restrictions). In my youth, I soldiered along with an issue Camillus MkII (1219C2 series) on my LBE and a small Gerber Silver Knight in a lower blouse pocket of my jungles or BDUs. I tried the Gerber MkIIs and although they’re very cool looking, I never thought they were as generally useful as a MkII “KABAR.” Metallic handles have never appealed to me because of the thermal properties alone.
I remember thinking the plastic bayonet type sheath of the USN MkII was pretty cool after seeing several of my RIs carrying them on their gear. My Dad carried on during his service as well(Dad was a UDT). So, . . . I carried one of those for a while, but at the end of the day it’s still a 1219c2 “KABAR.” In my experience, they’re durable and very cost effective. I never had one fail.

I subsequently discovered the high speed  (and kinda expensive) world of custom commercial combat knives. I bought an EK model 4 from the Richmond years. It’s a very nice blade, but the grip never seemed comfortable for me. I still have it. I’ve bough (and mostly sold) a few others over the years. The Livesays are what I ended up keeping. Newt made several specifically for me. I really liked his “Company Knife” but I also have a unique almost one-off blade that he made just for my needs at the time.

Until I retired, I generally carried a fixed blade Livesay and a Benchmade axis-lock (722 or 940 Osborne). The AFCK I bought was bit too long to be really fast to action.
The 722 is still my “perfect folder” and I bought several while they were in production.

These days, I spend nearly all my time in polite company, but carry a 722 & a Victorinox SilverTech in pockets pretty much everywhere. Old habits are hard to shake.

I use a KABAR BK16 for the times I need a field knife. I gave the SRKs to my nephews that are currently serving, and I’m confident those blades will be all they need in a knife. None are really knife guys and only one is an infantry type.

I like knives and have a respectable collection of vintage USGI blades. I’d still like to get a Randall No.1 just because they’re cool.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#26]
The 1219C2 or USMC Mk2 ("Ka-Bar") is the only highly regarded knife I have completely broken during normal use.  Not abuse or testing, but normal field use.  This is how I learned what a "stick ... or sometimes incorrectly called 'rat tail' ... full tang" consisted of.

In my opinion, the Busse Team Gemini series of knives are the 21st Century Gucci version of the Ka-Bar:

The above is 7.75" of INFI steel.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone remember the Buck Nighthawks?  Those were a great value.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

not trying to flame you or anything but genuinely curious, as I have been working on a setup on my gear and have been playing with knife placement.

my question is, if this placement is "a hedge against a handgun take-away" are you planning to let go of your pistol in order to bring the knife into the fight? or is this setup for a cross draw situation on that blade?

I have been working to find a good spot for a left hand draw for a "fight over my firearm" solution, but cant find a sweet spot. Im not comfortable with a cross draw solution for all the reasons it doesnt work for a handgun.

again, not trying to flame you, just looking for solutions
View Quote

Sorry for the delay, I’ve been working seven day weeks for a while, and have to stopped in to join the discussion.

To answer your question, during that time, I was moving and grooving with crowds of afghan local nationals, and they like to get in super close. Our ROE was fairly restrictive, and we were not issued retention holsters, so I generally walked around with my elbow perched on top of my Beretta and kept good SA to keep people away from my right side as much as I could.

If anyone made a grab for the pistol, my plan was to sweep the blade up and start working on them before they could get it off safe.

But given some time and input from other people of greater experience, I’ll be changing my setup somewhat, and opting for a more Central draw location for my knife, to enable left or right hand draw.

My issue setup in 2019 was a Cold Steel Drop Forged punch dagger mounted left hand draw behind my handgun mags, and I liked that setup very much, because it was unobtrusive while still being very accessible.

I might just go back to that until I find a perfect solution (which will never happen, LOL!)
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:32:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Like others have mentioned, it started with me in the 80's carrying a big, Rambo-style blade. First was the Buck 184 ("Buckmaster") Survival knife. Then, I became 'enlightened' and carried the the Gerber 'BMF.'

As time passed (and I matured), I got a Gerber LMF (ASEK). I also added a KaBar to the collection.

Finally, for shits and giggles, a Chris Reeve Green Beret (the 5.5 inch model) was purchased.

Nowadays, I mostly use my Leatherman or Gerber multi-tool.

I wont talk about the CR Sabenza that I lost at the TSA checkpoint because I was really late for a critical flight and had no time to mail it home...
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:46:28 PM EDT
[#30]
This was pops during his 4 tours in VN. A little John Nelson Cooper Fighting Bowie

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've been sitting here thinking about some of the knives I've used in the "combat knife" role ...

In the end I just like the 5 to 6 inch blade in about 3/16" stock.  Honestly, 6" to 6.5" would be my preference, but I haven't found "the one" yet.
View Quote

I have used many of those same choices as well. I've pretty much concluded the same, but my blade length preferences are 4-5.5", but that's mostly due to carrying it on the belt and not interfering with anything. Some 6" blades work okay, the JP Peltonan Ranger is one:

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#32]
@ROCK6

I've been thinking about my blade length comment, and you're correct.  I've found that I end up stashing any knife with a blade over about 5.375" in my backpack (not on body).  As I prefer to have my knife handy I concur 4.5" to 5" is about ideal.  Bigger seems to move toward "survival" and less combat.  Honestly, apart from batoning I haven't ever thought "I wish this blade was longer when using something in the 4.5" range".  I have felt that way about shorter popular options like the ESEE 3.  It was just a little too short.

The ESEE 4 and Gerber Strongarm are good sized knives for hanging on a belt or field gear.  

I'll try to pull together a bunch of my knives for a picture.  I probably have some laying around that aren't that commonly known.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@ROCK6

I've been thinking about my blade length comment, and you're correct.  I've found that I end up stashing any knife with a blade over about 5.375" in my backpack (not on body).  As I prefer to have my knife handy I concur 4.5" to 5" is about ideal.  Bigger seems to move toward "survival" and less combat.  Honestly, apart from batoning I haven't ever thought "I wish this blade was longer when using something in the 4.5" range".  I have felt that way about shorter popular options like the ESEE 3.  It was just a little too short.

The ESEE 4 and Gerber Strongarm are good sized knives for hanging on a belt or field gear.  

I'll try to pull together a bunch of my knives for a picture.  I probably have some laying around that aren't that commonly known.
View Quote

I can share my thoughts later...but I have a few in that size range...

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My son is currently down at Benning for his Infantry BOLC, he chose pretty wisely:

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.b47b95b4cef58a7f65202a1f82fe46fc?rik=tSXU3YvBHFVDFg&riu=http%3a%2f%2frheinleder.de%2fshop2%2fimages%2fCrusherBelt3+.jpg&ehk=f1Xx6bmcjlZNE742A3gQVVv1ZrEFonwrJ5Q%2fvhoo%2f%2fw%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

I would like to get him a better field sheath, one that a typical Infantry grunt would find hard to lose their knife out of...

ROCK6
View Quote

Winkler is the way.
Nowadays I still have mine but I carry a TOOR anaconda.

The only thing about Winkies that they just dont understand is their sheaths SUCK. It's common for those prior to going downrange will purchase one, throw the shyte sheath away and get a custom kydex.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The only thing about Winkies that they just dont understand is their sheaths SUCK. It's common for those prior to going downrange will purchase one, throw the shyte sheath away and get a custom kydex.
View Quote

This is a question I had for my son as he's been using their regular sheath. I personally didn't like it and didn't think it was too secure, but surprisingly, he's had zero issues in an environment where everything is dummy corded to avoid loss. I'll have to hit him up with how and where's he's carrying it on his kit.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 2:12:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I can share my thoughts later...but I have a few in that size range...

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210416_135913.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
View Quote

That's quite the collection. You may have a problem. Since I recognize most of them, I may have a problem as well. Two Skookum bushtools is interesting.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 3:43:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Fast forward a bit, this is my Bob Horrigan fighter.
suffice to say that this is like owning a Katana designed by a great Samurai of his time.

https://i.imgur.com/5Zo4g0Q.jpg?1" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/5Zo4g0Q.jpg?1

This knife was designed by an elite warrior to get the job done.
Msg Robert Horrigan RIP
https://i.imgur.com/Cn0bfjQ.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/Cn0bfjQ.jpg
View Quote

I have two Horrigan's

from what I understand Horrigan in collaboration with Larue than made the Larue Knives

I have two them - one Production and the other is a Prototype

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That's quite the collection. You may have a problem. Since I recognize most of them, I may have a problem as well. Two Skookum bushtools is interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think they have some 87-step programs for people like us…

Yeah, I originally got an O1 steel Skookum and then when he offered 3V (or I noticed it) I put one on order with Rod. I was pretty heavy in bushcraft for several years, and this was really the pinnacle of bush tools at that time (and still is pretty well regarded).

Quoted:
I have two Horrigan's

Those are what I refer to as pure, sharpened sex…quite beautiful pieces.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#40]
My 2 Horrigans

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I just sent this to its new home. My Commando Dagger, blackwashed.

" />
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My 2 Horrigans

https://i.imgur.com/7Rc9Bgv.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My 2 Horrigans

https://i.imgur.com/7Rc9Bgv.jpg

Damn

Quoted:
I just sent this to its new home. My Commando Dagger, blackwashed.

https://i.imgur.com/DD8btQ1.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/DD8btQ1.jpg

Double damn!
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:17:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

<a href="[url]https://i.imgur.com/NAOwc2s.jpg">https://i.imgur.com/NAOwc2s.jpg">[url]https://i.imgur.com/NAOwc2s.jpg<a href="[url]https://i.imgur.com/SQzYmqY.jpg?1">https://i.imgur.com/SQzYmqY.jpg?1">[url]https://i.imgur.com/SQzYmqY.jpg?1
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:20:50 AM EDT
[#44]
My M11-A1 is my daily EDC:

Supposed to be nice weather tomorrow; I'll see if I can get a pic of my M11 and your knife.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:01:42 AM EDT
[#45]
When my kids were due to deploy to Iraq in 2003 I saw the deplorable state the issue K-Bars were in.  I also noted that Marines carry a heck of a lot more stuff today.  Wanting something better, but also as light as possible I go them these.

https://missionknives.com/products/mpk-10

And while it's been a long time, I want to again give praise to the folks at MIssion Knives.  With time fairly short, and the knives seemingly unavailable I contacted them directly.  I talked to the owner and he made sure they had their knives before they deployed.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#46]
This is a Combat/hard use design in its prototype
6" blade of 80CRV2 .165" thick HRC 60
10.5" OAL
Blackwash finish,, flat grind for a strong edge
black canvas micarta hadle with integral guard, lanyard tube
deep finger choil for fine work

thoughts?

" />
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Your killing me smalls!

Making it harder to choose a knife!

Link Posted: 2/9/2023 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#48]
This is a knife I just finished up, my contribution to the combat knife conversation...
9.5" oal 5" blade of .165" 80CRV2 @ HRC61
fine machine finish, flat grind for s strong edge
black paper micarta sculpted handle with lanyard tube

thoughts?

" />" />
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#49]
" />" />" />
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 1:29:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top