Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 9/30/2017 9:27:29 AM EDT
Title says it all. I don't have any real problem with the sheath, it retains fine, but just felt wonkey and cumbersome to me. Like carrying a filet knife on my belt.

Most modifications I found online are either custom kydex or just people taping a bunch of crap to it or using paracord to wrap it for whatever reason.

My goal was to make it easier to draw. Only having a grip on half of the handle just doesn't feel right on my belt.

The retention tab is easy to see, so I just made a mark above it and down the sides of the belt clip and cut it off with a hacksaw.

I cut off the clip at the bend . This line will be our new bend.

I used boiling water to soften the clip and form the new bend around the exact knife if used to clean the edges. This puts the "new" clip lower on the sheath, the original bend acts as the base of the new clip.

The water just didn't get the poly hot enough to really reshape it. So I waited till I got to work and used a heat gun to heat it properly. Care ful with your shape here. You need to bend your new clip to put a little outward pressure on the handle to keep the knife nice and snug.

And there you have it. Nothing fancy.

Good blade retention, more handle accessable to draw, sits higher on the belt, and the clip is about 2" long

I'll clean the edges a bit more. A cigarette lighter works well for this.

In my very non professional opinion this is the way the sheath should be shaped from the factory.

A free mod for a cheap knife.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Very cool. Thank you for the write up.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Great idea & very cool mod.

Plus it gives me a reason to buy another Mora
...or three
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great idea & very cool mod.

Plus it gives me a reason to buy another Mora
...or three
View Quote
Lol right? Let's just say I wasn't concerned with effecting the resale value.

I wish I'd of taken a pic of it on my belt before I cut it. Those of you who own one know it sits very low in the sheath. Personally, I just don't like that. A personal preference.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#4]
If you do this make sure you can shape the clip to put pressure on the handle. If not, you're going to end up with the knife flopping around and falling out.

As pictured above, the retention is pretty close to stock.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty quiet in the blade forum. On the plus side, I think I sold 4 or more moras today. The guys at work liked the knife. When I told them how much they cost quite a few ears perked up.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
What does the guy in the chair behind you think?
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What does the guy in the chair behind you think?
View Quote
He's a guns are icky type of guy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool Mod
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 6:03:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Made this for mine because I liked the sheath but wanted it to dangle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#10]
That's pretty damn cool.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Works good too! Also required no mods to the original sheath.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tag for a reminder to do this. Looks great.
I stopped buying Mora's in black, only orange handles now.
The black ones disappear like a magic trick when camping.
View Quote
I bet they do. I will most likely buy a few more companions for Xmas gifts and keep whatever color I like the best.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Awesome post; thank you!
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I actually like the sheath. Easy to clean blood out of.  I'm never in a hurry to take it out, so I don't mind the high wrap.  Wish I could get this holster for some of my other knives.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I actually like the sheath. Easy to clean blood out of.  I'm never in a hurry to take it out, so I don't mind the high wrap.  Wish I could get this holster for some of my other knives.
View Quote
I'll say there was seriously wrong with it. It just didn't feel very natural to me personally. I like to be able to grab the handle, with the stock I was just pulling the butt. Wasn't for me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I only lock mine in when I'm done using it. If I'm using it and it's in, out, in, out, I just drop it in so it is in the sheath but not locked into the sheath. Besides there is no wrong answer here, just different perspectives.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top