Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 9/28/2017 9:51:58 PM EDT
I have been EDCing a S30V Blur for several years now, probably 3-4.

I noticed the liner lock was slightly peened over and it would be sticky when closing. I dressed it with a jewelers file and moved on.

That was probably a year ago. Do liner locks ever wear out? I don't stab things like an idiot but I wonder if replacing it every 3-4 years is worth it.

I wish I got 14C28N. RIP Leek.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Anything with constant metal to metal contact will wear down over time.  Even the frame lock designs have this problem, that's why the better ones have a removable insert/bushing that rests at the end of the pivot finger, contacting the camming lobe on the blade proper.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anything with constant metal to metal contact will wear down over time.  Even the frame lock designs have this problem, that's why the better ones have a removable insert/bushing that rests at the end of the pivot finger, contacting the camming lobe on the blade proper.

Chris
View Quote
The insert is typically so you have a steel to steel contact instead of a titanium to steel contact.  The titanium and steel contact will wear faster and tends to be sticky.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 11:44:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, Liner locks tend to wear quickly when new and then stabilize and wear slowly for a long time. Eventually, they will wear out. Flipping or opening very hard like an emerson wave wears them out very quickly. As mentioned, frame locks will do the same thing. Lockbacks will wear out as well and have even less room for error.

The only lock type I have not had wear out and loosen is axis.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top