Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 9/17/2017 6:41:22 PM EDT
Title says it all. Looking for a first knife for my bear. Looking for a nice folding pocket knife for small hands to do what 8 year olds do, make spears and stuff.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Every one of these is perfect. They all have the one thing you want for a scout. A locking blade. I spent hundreds on first aid gear dealing with scouts who had the knife folks up on their fingers by accident
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought my 8 year old a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife with a locking primary blade.  Has an al, scissors, phillips and flat blade screwdriver, tweezers, and bottle and can opener.  It came with a leather snap case as well.   He uses it all the time on scout trips.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Plus on on the Swiss Army Knife.  Nothing says camping outdoors than having one.

I had it customized with his name, so it didn't get "mixed in" with some of the other scouts gear (by accident... )
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#5]
What about a multi tool that has a locking blade?   My Gerber tool is a must carry when I go into the woods.

I still have the Camillus Cub Scout knife that my dad bought me when I joined the Cub Scouts.  in fact, it it still attached to my Cub Scout belt by the ring on the knife and belt hanger (still have my complete uniform.)

Back then (late 1970s) we used to wear our uniforms to school on the day of our Den meeting.  I used to carry my knife hanging from my belt.  No one said a word about that back then.  Today, you'd be treated like a terrorist.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I've carried on my belt a SAK SwissChamp for almost 4 years and it's been fine.  No locking blades and maybe a lot of 'stuff' for a young kid, but they grow up fast.

I carry it in a SAK Zermatt XL leather holster with sharpening steel.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#7]
SAK with primary locking blade, as has been suggested above.

Great Swiss quality & a lifetime guarantee....any broken models I find in junk shops & the like get sent away for repair; come back good as new!

My first knife at the age of 6 was a Victorinox....still remember the long wait to be old enough to buy it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Victorinox Swisstool Spirit multitool

All blades lock and having things like a saw blade, file, scissors, knife, leather awl and other tools are very useful for a boyscout.
Its also a smallish size for a multitool and high quality.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:22:40 AM EDT
[#9]
As a eagle scout, I always had 2 knives. The victorinox multitool and a simple buck knife. The multitool came in handy for camp and hikes. But the buck knife was the one used for whittling and cutting.  But the selections 20+ years later are a little better. For a cub, I would look at a nice leatherman like the rebar.  It will have many more useful tools for camp and tasks. Like the pliers, a usable scissor, saw, good knife blade and a seperate serrated blade, awe, and your Phillips/flat drivers. If he sticks with it then he can get into a nice solid knife like a buck or a Kershaw to add to it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Whatever you get, make sure the blade locks.  Many of the plier multi-tools that include blades now offer locks.  I know the Gerber variant does.

If you go the multi-tool route, you should also get him a 4-5" fixed blade of some sort that's within your price range.  Buck makes a decent knife for not much $ and they are easy to find.  Not the best steel out there, and yes, they aren't the Buck we knew before......but for a kid, it's not going to matter and having to keep things sharp will help the kid learn how to maintain a knife properly.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Gerber LST.  It is perfect for a Bear scout.  Seriously.  I would discourage swiss army knives, anything that needs strong fingernail purchase, as well as any liner locks.
$20 on AMAZON

I made Kydex sheaths for both my sons, and it's part of their uniform now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 2:20:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Guys, guys, .."cub scout" Think of the age.

Simple, folder, APPROVED...victirinox 5 blade, buck 5 blade, etc. Add a cord so it can be neck carried or tied to a belt, basically"arms length".

"Can I borrow your knife?"

"Here."

"Hey! Why this cord?"

"So it stays at my arms length."

A simple lock back works as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm going to echo the locking Swiss army theme. I like the Trekker model. My son is a bear and will working on his totin' chip in the next month. A way's back Uline was giving away camo handled trekkers as a bonus/promo item. I swapped out the handle scales for dayglo neon ones off of a rescue tool for visibility and to make it more unique.

Swiss bianco is a good site for accessories.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#14]
For a little bit of style-

https://www.btibrands.com/product/uncle-henry-traditional-scout-pocket-knife/

The blades don't appear to lock, however. Somewhere around here, I have my old officially licensed knife in this pattern. It had a lock on the main blade.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I actually had to make this very decision last week and ordered my son a Byrd Meadowlark 2 from Amazon for $20.

I got it because I am a Spyderco fanboy and my EDC beater knife is a Spyderco delica 4, the meadowlark is pretty much a Chinese made delica 4. For all intended EDC purposes it’s every bit as good as a Delica, only slightly less “refined” and with a small step down in steel. It’s 8Cr13Mov and it’s super sharp out of the box and should be really easy to sharpen. It’s also a lock back so it’s going to be extremely strong.

Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I carried, and still have, a Swiss Army Tinker for the years I was in Scouting, and it was just about perfect for that purpose. It's sitting in my OCP pocket right now, all the way over here in Africa, and I still use it every day for a variety of tasks. its an absolutely awesome food prep knife, and it has a real Philips screwdriver that folds into the spine, which is very handy, indeed.

The locking blade feature of many newer knives is nice, but if you use a knife like a knife, it's not really necessary. In almost forty years of carrying my Tinker, I don't remember ever cutting myself with it or having trouble opening/closing it.

The great thing is, you can find these handy little knives for less than $20 if you shop around a bit. Can't really get a better knife for that money, as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I carried, and still have, a Swiss Army Tinker for the years I was in Scouting, and it was just about perfect for that purpose. It's sitting in my OCP pocket right now, all the way over here in Africa, and I still use it every day for a variety of tasks. its an absolutely awesome food prep knife, and it has a real Philips screwdriver that folds into the spine, which is very handy, indeed.

The locking blade feature of many newer knives is nice, but if you use a knife like a knife, it's not really necessary. In almost forty years of carrying my Tinker, I don't remember ever cutting myself with it or having trouble opening/closing it.

The great thing is, you can find these handy little knives for less than $20 if you shop around a bit. Can't really get a better knife for that money, as far as I'm concerned.
View Quote
I carry a super tinker everyday (along with a Spyderco delica 4 or benchmade mini griptilian), but for whatever reason the scouts want a blade that locks now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Benchmade mini griptillian
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Benchmade mini griptillian
View Quote
I don't trust my son to not lose whatever knife he gets on his first camping trip, he isn't getting a $90 mini grip.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I carry a super tinker everyday (along with a Spyderco delica 4 or benchmade mini griptilian), but for whatever reason the scouts want a blade that locks now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A locking blade is a must for anyone, IMO.  Too easy to cut yourself without the lock at 8 years old.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 11:49:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A locking blade is a must for anyone, IMO.  Too easy to cut yourself without the lock at 8 years old.
View Quote
I carry the “Swiss army” knife for the tools lol. I pry shit with the screw drivers and use the sissors all the time.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top