Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 8/22/2017 6:37:26 PM EDT
I pieced together a WE120 with the 100/200, 400/600, 800/1000, and 1200/1600 grit handles (in lieu of strops and paste, i'm hoping that wasn't a bad move), and the angle cube. I am running to the local granite cutter and they said they can grab a sink cutout for me for free and i'll use their template and drill for the base.

Does anyone here use the system? Any tips or advice? Should be here before the weekend so I am excited to post some pics up
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used the Wicked Edge for 4 years now. I sold my EdgePro Apex after using the WE - it's way better. Even with the sharpening system bolted to a granite base, I still use a C-clamp to clamp the granite base to my workbench so it doesn't slide around.  Other than that, it's pretty easy to use. As long as the knife you want to sharpen has a bit of a flat, it's easy. I still have a difficult time with full-flat grinds, to the point I refuse to buy FFG knives because it's so difficult for me to sharpen to a precise edge vs. something with a flat.

You'll love the Wicked Edge.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Like any sharpening system, it takes practice. Wicked Edge is appropriately named. You can use a regular leather strop instead of their expensive ones. (Flexx Strops)
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool, I appreciate the replies. I believe it will be here Friday per tracking. I will be playing Saturday afternoon on my Emerson super cqc7 and a buck 110. The emerson is shot to hell so I don't mind practicing on that, and the buck 110 is not the price of a Benchmade 940-1 carbon.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Tons of YouTube videos for help. Especially from Clay, the owner.

I have the Field and Sport Pro model as I prefer a more portable option. I too have the ceramics up to 1600.

You can get as precise as you'd like. Some use an angle cube. Some just go but the degree markings. Either way works.

Practice. Use a super light touch. Let the stone do the work.

I'd recommend a jeweler's loupe. I got one from Amazon with 30X and 60X and LED lights for $7. It lets you actually see what you are doing.

Use the sharpie trick to mark the edge before you start so you can see where the stone is actually hitting the blade.

Look for videos on finding the sweet spot.

Good luck. Take your time. You'll get it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm tired of using stones and have been trying to decide between an Edge Pro Apex and WE.  I'd like to hear the OP's review after he uses it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I got my granite remnants yesterday and picked a fittingly sized one and drilled it today. You get about 2 holes 1.25" deep per bit I found (lol). I started playing with it at work today, and brought my emerson. I have to see whats up with the angles vs the reading, but my setting said 30 and I got 25. I used my angle cube to move it to an actual 30* (emerson is a chisel and my hand sharpening was dog shit), I started with 100's and moved up from there. This is a 2007 super cqc7, and has been BEAT to shit. I mean used as a screwdriver when needed beat. Within about 15 minutes not really being ultra precise, I achieved a edge I could shave my arm hair off with (1600 finish, no strops).

I will get home tonight later and post some photos. I am very happy so far, and will keep it updated with my buck and a few spydercos of varying size and dullness.

@GaryT1776 it is a great rig. I do know if you call WE, they can get you in to a used model (customer return or demo) that comes off as new for a price incredibly similar to a edge pro. Go to your local granite counter manufacture, grab a cutout for a kitchen sink or end scraps and save $70 after buying a granite bit, again saving money. I even purchased a "used" pair of stones $35 cheaper than new... Cube? amazon warehouse deal saved me $10 bones. I would do it
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:39:37 PM EDT
[#7]
That's great to hear.

I gave a local LEO (who didn't have a knife) a Kershaw Leek.

Somehow he managed to stick it in a cigarette lighter in his patrol car. It didn't mess up the tip but did take out a nice chunk about an inch up.

(He never would tell me how he did it or what he was doing)

Anyway. He was embarrassed to say anything but one day I saw it.

I told him to give to me and I could fix it. He didn't believe me.

A few passes on each grit starting at 100 and working up to 800 had it looking brand new.

He and everyone else who'd seen it before didn't believe it was the same knife. They all think I switched knives. But it was his.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top