Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/31/2017 2:20:31 AM EDT
I am fairly new to sharpening knives, and looking to improve and gain experience. What system would you recommend ? I'd like something like controlled angles. Something similar, to the Lansky system but after reading reviews on amazon there is quite a few bad reviews. I'm not against spending a little more if its worth it.

I already have a whetstone, but I am not sure I am using it efficiently so I'd like something else to expand my options. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:45:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:50:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out the Spyderco Sharpmaker.  I've been using one for years and while there may be better systems (Wicked Edge for ex) the Sharpmaker is good enough to where it isn't worth it for me to upgrade.  I was using a Lansky before but it was a pain in the ass and would ruin a tip if not careful.

Spyderco Sharpmaker.  You can get a razor edge in less than 5 minutes with this system.  I bought the optional ultra fine stones which will give you a scary sharp edge.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Lansky and it does a good job but you do have to pay attention to what you're doing. It will hold the proper angle and put a razor sharp edge on your knife.

Like any other system you will get better at it the more you use it and learn the ins and outs of how to use it best. Buy a used one off of eBay, you can usually get them at a good price. Plus you might be able to get one with extra stones...

My other one is a Ken Onion Worksharp, probably one of the best powered sharpeners that you can buy. It comes with a few different belts but you can buy more and better ones. You can even get a belt to strop blades also. The KO edition has an adaptor on it with different angles built in. Follow the instructions and you'll have a razor sharp blade in a few minutes.

Again, look on eBay or Amazon for the best prices.
View Quote
I have both and have used them flr years. Precision is the lansky, rough cut is the ken onion.

My kitchen knives get lansky, my oit door blades the ken onion.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Check out the Spyderco Sharpmaker.  I've been using one for years and while there may be better systems (Wicked Edge for ex) the Sharpmaker is good enough to where it isn't worth it for me to upgrade.  I was using a Lansky before but it was a pain in the ass and would ruin a tip if not careful.

Spyderco Sharpmaker.  You can get a razor edge in less than 5 minutes with this system.  I bought the optional ultra fine stones which will give you a scary sharp edge.
View Quote
I'll definitely check that out.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I ordered the spyderco. Seems to have a good reviews and looks easy to use.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#6]
How much are you willing to spend?

> $100.   Lansky.

<400.  Edge pro.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How much are you willing to spend?

> $100.   Lansky.

<400.  Edge pro.
View Quote
At this point I am not willing to spend $400.

I might have been willing to spend a little more than 100 if I felt that was the best choice. For now I bought the sypderco for $ 60 I'll see how that does.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Tormek T8 if you can afford one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I ordered the spyderco. Seems to have a good reviews and looks easy to use.
View Quote
Depends on what knife I'm sharpening but I have a Spyderco Paramilitary II that I use a Sharpmaker to sharpen. For some reason I can't sharpen it really well on my stones. Maybe the angle? Not sure.

On almost all my other knives I use Shapton glass stones, with a Bester #1200 in the mix.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I really like the Sharpmaker.  My biggest nitpick is that they don't have any option for storing the optional extra rods like the diamond, CBN, or extra fine rods.  It would be nice if they offered a larger base/case that can hold a total of 8 rods, or they sold the base/case without the rods to give you a place to store the additional rods.  

I bought a wooden box on Amazon to hold the Sharpmaker, the extra rods, an eraser to clean the rods, a bottle of light oil, a tube of blue Loctite, and a multi torx tool to be my total knife maintenance kit.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#12]
i went with the lansky and some additional stones and leather strop for it.

gets the knives nice and sharp, almost a mirror finish but i dont care too much for the final finish, as long as they cut good then im happy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:08:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Highly recommend the Spyderco Sharpmaker.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Check out YouTube for videos on the sharpmaker.

The one thing that helped me the most was to mount the sharpmaker down to a piece of counter top. That way I can use both hands on the knife.

Good luck and stick with it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i went with the lansky and some additional stones and leather strop for it.

gets the knives nice and sharp, almost a mirror finish but i dont care too much for the final finish, as long as they cut good then im happy.
View Quote
Same here. Very happy with the Lansky system. Keeps a consistent blade angle and wasn't difficult at all to get started. I've sharpened dozens of knives to a razor-sharp edge many times over with it. With a little practice, it's become a breeze to maintain a hair-splitting edge on all my knives. You have to be a little more careful sharpening the tip of the blade. I've been known to sport a few band-aids on my fingertips after slipping a little while sharpening blade tips.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Another vote for the sharpmaker. Simple and easy to use.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I have an EdgePro Apex 4 with all of the accoutrements. It sits in cupboard in it's bag. I use a Sharpmaker.

I find the EdgePro difficult to use, especially when having to use it with my left hand. I have not gotten an impressive edge off of it. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing.

For keeping an edge sharp, the Spyderco Sharpmaker is exceptional. For fixing chips in the edge, or an edge that is highly damaged, I no longer piss with them and send them to Josh at Razor Edge Knives and have him sharpen them on a belt for about $6 a blade.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Worksharp

It is scary fast for getting a decent edge.  If you really want to get that last little bit, get a strop and work it a little bit and you can shave with your blade.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have an EdgePro Apex 4 with all of the accoutrements. It sits in cupboard in it's bag. I use a Sharpmaker.

I find the EdgePro difficult to use, especially when having to use it with my left hand. I have not gotten an impressive edge off of it. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing.

For keeping an edge sharp, the Spyderco Sharpmaker is exceptional. For fixing chips in the edge, or an edge that is highly damaged, I no longer piss with them and send them to Josh at Razor Edge Knives and have him sharpen them on a belt for about $6 a blade.
View Quote
I have an Apex 4 as well. It took a little practice, but produces a very sharp edge on all my cooking knives. It comes out every 6 months, an hour later everything is very sharp.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#20]
spyderco sharpmaker is pretty foolproof.

sharpmaker
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The one thing that helped me the most was to mount the sharpmaker down to a piece of counter top. That way I can use both hands on the knife.

View Quote
Why the need to use both hands ?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I am very happy with the spyderco sharpmaker so far. Used it on several knives with good results for a beginner. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Wicked Edge with lots of upgrades. My cousin and two coworkers have Ken Onion Worksharp. I seldom use mine it is so slow, even though mine makes the better more refined edge, because they can do 10 knives in the time it takes me to do one. Lol at Lansky, my dad had one. Not in same league for finished product or speed as others. I say get the Ken Onion Worksharp and and some extra hanging strops for maintenance each use.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just found that I was better at holding the knife verticality using both hands.

With one hand (either one) I tended to tilt the knife and it wobbled slightly as I drew the knife back.

With both hands holding the knife I achieved much better results.

As a side note I just found out Wicked Edge is making a new sharpening system called the Wicked Edge Go. It would be worth checking out IMO.

Wicked Edge - GO - WE50 - Introduction
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Spyderco sharpmaker is what I have use for years
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a Wicked Edge, Edge Pro, Work Sharp (Ken Onion), Sharpmaker and a few others. My favorite set up is a Marbels stone and a strop. If I have to re profile I'll use the Wicked Edge, but 90% of the time just the strop works to keep my knives shaving sharp.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:41:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Spyderco sharpmaker with the ultra fine stones. Easy to use, and it gives you wicked edge. I've seen them go for as low as $60. You need to buy the ultra fine stones separate though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Spyderco sharpmaker with the ultra fine stones. Easy to use, and it gives you wicked edge. I've seen them go for as low as $60. You need to buy the ultra fine stones separate though.
View Quote
Are you talking about the diamond stones ? It comes with two sets already, not sure what you mean by ultra fine stones.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:13:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Samurai Shark
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:14:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Lansky is the real answer, just be OCD with the setup!
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:50:37 AM EDT
[#31]
I use the EdgePro and it's as simple as can be to get a edge you can shave with and that is no exaggeration.Several people in this post said they had a hard time using theirs and the only thing I can imagine is that they are not holding the knife steady when they lay it on the base and begin sharpening thus constantly changing the angle.I solved that problem by getting 2 little super magnets from Home Depot and gluing them to the underside of the base and now my knife blade stays rock steady as I sharpen it.

I had the Sharpmaker years ago and never got close to the edge I can get with the EdgePro.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:16:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Been using the Edge Pro for years....been easy to maintain edge geometry and keep my knives sharp.

Edge Pro
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:04:09 AM EDT
[#33]
For some reason I didn't get along with the sharpmaker.
 I just prefer old fashioned stones I guess.   One trick for using stones etc. is to color in the edge of the blade with a black marker. Then after a pass or two you can see exactly the angle you are holding it at.  
  I also use a nice leather strop to finish it off.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Buy a good set of stones and learn how to use them.  The other contraptions are training-wheels, gadgets.  Do they work, yeah but sharpening a knife correctly
is a skillset you can't leave at home. Once you learn how to sharpen a knife, really learn, you can sharpen one on a lot of things you can find in most environments.

I've been hand sharpening knives for 30 years and can put a razor edge on most knives with a set of stones and a piece of leather.

A strop stick with a little bit of rouge is a great tool to finishing up an edge.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Buy a good set of stones and learn how to use them.  The other contraptions are training-wheels, gadgets.  Do they work, yeah but sharpening a knife correctly
is a skillset you can't leave at home. Once you learn how to sharpen a knife, really learn, you can sharpen one on a lot of things you can find in most environments.

I've been hand sharpening knives for 30 years and can put a razor edge on most knives with a set of stones and a piece of leather.

A strop stick with a little bit of rouge is a great tool to finishing up an edge.
View Quote
That was my original plan but I wasn't having much luck with a stone. I am afraid I was having a hard time maintaining a constant angle. Any suggestions ?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Edge Pro (Apex) for Kitchen and large knives.   Sharpmaker for small.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That was my original plan but I wasn't having much luck with a stone. I am afraid I was having a hard time maintaining a constant angle. Any suggestions ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly grab a cheaper knife and color the edge with a sharpie or other marker.  Lightly try and sharpen it just one or two passes. Where the marker gets removed will show you the angle you are holding it at.  Adjust your angle accordingly and continue.
  Even re color the edge every time if it helps. Eventually u will get the hang of it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Are you talking about the diamond stones ? It comes with two sets already, not sure what you mean by ultra fine stones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The diamond stones are the opposite of the ultra fine stones.  

Both are available as add on options for the Sharpmaker, but there's no provision for storing the extra rods.   (It comes with medium & fine rods)

"This ultra-fine-grit accessory stone fits the Tri-Angle Sharpmaker base and puts an exceptionally fine scratch pattern on your edge for hair-popping sharpness."
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/204UF1/Tri-Angle-Stone-Ultra-Fine/225

"These accessory diamond-impregnated steel triangles fit your Tri-Angle Sharpmaker base and are ideal for re-profiling edges, putting edges on exceptionally dull knives, and sharpening ultra-hard blade steels. "
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/204D/Tri-Angle-Stones-Diamond/79
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I have the work sharp it is super simple and puts a great edge on your blade.
Work Sharp WSKTS Knife and Tool Sharpener https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IT5F14/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_aQ0PzbFSA98M9
I will say that since I owned for a year or so now I wish I bought the Keith Onion one now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I just found that I was better at holding the knife verticality using both hands.

With one hand (either one) I tended to tilt the knife and it wobbled slightly as I drew the knife back.

With both hands holding the knife I achieved much better results.

As a side note I just found out Wicked Edge is making a new sharpening system called the Wicked Edge Go. It would be worth checking out IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdhgRDwFB_M
View Quote
That actually looks like a really good middle ground between the high end guided systems and a lansky.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:45:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Honestly grab a cheaper knife and color the edge with a sharpie or other marker.  Lightly try and sharpen it just one or two passes. Where the marker gets removed will show you the angle you are holding it at.  Adjust your angle accordingly and continue.
  Even re color the edge every time if it helps. Eventually u will get the hang of it.
View Quote
I will try that. Right now I am trying to learn the sharpmaker, but at some point I will do a regular stone again
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:45:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The diamond stones are the opposite of the ultra fine stones.  

Both are available as add on options for the Sharpmaker, but there's no provision for storing the extra rods.   (It comes with medium & fine rods)

"This ultra-fine-grit accessory stone fits the Tri-Angle Sharpmaker base and puts an exceptionally fine scratch pattern on your edge for hair-popping sharpness."
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/204UF1/Tri-Angle-Stone-Ultra-Fine/225

"These accessory diamond-impregnated steel triangles fit your Tri-Angle Sharpmaker base and are ideal for re-profiling edges, putting edges on exceptionally dull knives, and sharpening ultra-hard blade steels. "
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/204D/Tri-Angle-Stones-Diamond/79
View Quote
I ordered an ultra fine stone to try it out.

Do you have the diamond ones as well? I am tempted to order that too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I ordered an ultra fine stone to try it out.

Do you have the diamond ones as well? I am tempted to order that too.
View Quote
I have the diamond stones as well.  I use them for the first pass on really hard steel, sharpening seriously dull blades, for reprofiling a blade to a different angle, or working out  chips on a damaged blade.

Note:  The ultra fine stones come individually, and you would normally buy two for the Sharpmaker.  The Diamond Stones come in pairs.

Extra note:  As far as anyone can tell, the Cubic Boron Nitride stones serve the same role as the diamond stones, and nobody can quite explain why they exist in parallel to the diamond stones.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Worksharp

It is scary fast for getting a decent edge.  If you really want to get that last little bit, get a strop and work it a little bit and you can shave with your blade.
View Quote
This! I get a little carried away with my lawnmower blades now

The leather strop belt is great for finishing up an edge on kitchen knives etc.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have a Lansky and it does a good job but you do have to pay attention to what you're doing. It will hold the proper angle and put a razor sharp edge on your knife.

Like any other system you will get better at it the more you use it and learn the ins and outs of how to use it best. Buy a used one off of eBay, you can usually get them at a good price. Plus you might be able to get one with extra stones...

My other one is a Ken Onion Worksharp, probably one of the best powered sharpeners that you can buy. It comes with a few different belts but you can buy more and better ones. You can even get a belt to strop blades also. The KO edition has an adaptor on it with different angles built in. Follow the instructions and you'll have a razor sharp blade in a few minutes.

Again, look on eBay or Amazon for the best prices.
View Quote
Ken Onion edition Work Sharp

Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#46]
SharpMaker..

Damm near IDGIT proof.

Durable

And it works
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a KO Worksharp and a Sharpmaker. I much much prefer the Worksharp. The Sharpmaker got blades sharp but it was sooo slow. I keep the fine belt on the sharpmaker and one or two swipes gets my knives sharp again vs a million strokes on the stones. Even a super dull blade only takes a few minutes to sharpen. I use micro-abrasive films on a granite surface plate for wood working tools and while it does get chisels and irons surgical sharp it's also a pain in the ass. 
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Lansky.  I made a jig for mine and that is huge benefit.  

I have a WS, will scratch your blades, won't get all the way to the hilt.  It will get your knife sharp but can take to much metal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Sharpmaker!

Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

... Ken Onion Worksharp, probably one of the best powered sharpeners that you can buy. It comes with a few different belts but you can buy more and better ones. You can even get a belt to strop blades also. The KO edition has an adaptor on it with different angles built in. Follow the instructions and you'll have a razor sharp blade in a few minutes.
View Quote
This...  rediculously sharp, shaving sharp, fast.  Threw away my lansky, stones, rods, et al...  KO Worksharp and a strop.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top