Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Posted: 1/8/2012 7:19:48 PM EDT
We have a pic thread, but this one is just for ESEE pics and discussion.

My first ESEE was an orange Izula. After that, I picked up a -3 for the side of my EDC Rush 12. I've got a few others, but these are the only pics I have time for now.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 7:56:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful knives, no doubt.

I'm trying to show some self-restraint by not buying one, but I'm weakening....
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I am pretty new to quality knifes.  I recently bought a RAT-6... What more benefit would I get from buying a $200-$300 knife.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Are the ESEE-5's not popular?  Most collections I see seem to only have a -3,-4, -6.  I would like a -6, but they are not legal here (5.5 inch limit).
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#5]
The 5 is one burly hunk of steel, if I had to guess, I would guess that it is pretty heavy for it's size.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]
If someone wants to buy me a fire ant red or venom green Izula from BladeHQ I will post pictures of it here
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 12:04:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are the ESEE-5's not popular?  Most collections I see seem to only have a -3,-4, -6.  I would like a -6, but they are not legal here (5.5 inch limit).

They are very popular. It is a hunk of steel. Like a sharp bar but it feels nice in the hand. I like mine. Here are a few pics.

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 12:25:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would not have guessed that Texas was/is like that.    NYC, sure, I could imagine it, but not TX.

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 12:59:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are very popular. It is a hunk of steel. Like a sharp bar but it feels nice in the hand. I like mine. Here are a few pics.

Same here.   I got it for what it was intended.  

Just go to a shop that carries ESEE knives, try out a few, buy what you like.    

Look at the specs online at the ESEE site.   The 5 is a beast.   It is a true survival knife.   It will work when others fail.   It is just that simple.   If you don't think you need a knife like that, get a 3 or 4.   If you want to impress people, get the six.   If you want the toughest thing they have, get the 5.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 6:07:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info.  Here in Texas you can have any length on your own land or while "engaged in a sporting activity such as hunting", but you can not EDC or keep in your vehicle knives longer than 5.5 inches.  I want a good knife for my jump kit and the -5 will probably it.  No stores carry them around here and have not seen them at gun shows so will have to order blind, other than the pictures here.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#11]
If you send ESEE an email from your .mil address they will send you an order form with the Police/Military prices.  You also get the option of having your badge number, or in my case I used my amateur radio call, engraved on the handle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#12]
My first 2, I need to get a pic of my recent christmas gift... Junglas :)

Izula by j0sh_b, on Flickr

HEST by j0sh_b, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#13]
When I first started buying ESEE knives, everyone said that it's an addiction…they where right. I have a 3,4 and an Izula on order. Pics when Izzy gets here
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#15]
What's the reason for the "dimple" in the scale on the 5?

ETA- I see the 6 in the photo above has it too.

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bow firestarter. You put the top of the spindle in the divot.

Yes. I've never tried it. Some guys that are bow users thought it as gimmicky. But after using it, said it works very well. Just keep it sheathed while using it.

I'm not positive, but I think the -6 does not come with the bow divot. The -5 and -6 scales are interchangable and some guys swap them though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bow firestarter. You put the top of the spindle in the divot.

Yes. I've never tried it. Some guys that are bow users thought it as gimmicky. But after using it, said it works very well. Just keep it sheathed while using it.

I'm not positive, but I think the -6 does not come with the bow divot. The -5 and -6 scales are interchangable and some guys swap them though.

Since I ordered my -6 directly from ESEE, I asked them to install the dimple scale from a -5.

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 1:42:32 AM EDT
[#20]
No pics but I have a Tan Izula & an RC4.  They are nice blades.
I`m not sure what I will get next.
ETA - I think it will be an RC5
That thing is a Beast of a blade.
If you cant stab it to death you could beat it to death with one of those.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 12:30:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's my three
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#22]
^ Nice red! My wife has a pink... Izula.

Link Posted: 1/14/2012 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've been wanting an ESEE for some time, specifically the 5P, who has the best price AND has them in stock?  

I have used The Kife Conection, Howes Knife Shop, and Knife Works. All have been quick and no problems. Looks like Kife Conection has the best deal. But you have to pay shipping. The other two have free shipping.

Slice it how you like, they end up being about $145 for the -5P.
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#25]
When do the stainless models come out?
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Would like to have the  ESEE 4 in Elmax.  Thinking about making a couple myself.
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice knives!  I personally own the Izula and 6, as having two specific tools is more effecient for me than having one tool that's just OK at everything, YMMV.

A word about the different models.

ESEE 6 is great for camping, backpacking, around the house, etc.  It's thin enough to be somewhat light weight, thick enough to take a beating in stride, and perfect size for being a handy machete if needed.  In the ESEE catalog they call it their flagship knife.

ESEE 5 is intended for pilots and other extreme adventures (think SERE knife).  The 5 allows the user to carry one knife which can be used to aid in fire making, as a camp shovel, to handle various cutting tasks of course, but most importantly to cut through the body of an aircraft and sturdy enough to pry the doors open in order to escape.  When using the 5 for splitting firewood, you'll have more friction because of the saber blade grind compared to the 6.  For most people the 5 is overkill but boys love their toys.

ESEE 4 is slightly longer and thicker than the 3, intented for bushcraft.  Great carry size, comfortable in the hand, and like the previous models can handle any task that comes its way.  With proper technique you can take down a tree (even with the Izula), shape branches and sticks for tools/traps/etc.

ESEE 3 is thinner and shorter (but not by much) than the 4.  Again it's a great carry size and in the ESEE catalog is billed as the EDC knife.

Izula is a great little big knife.  It can perform many of the same tasks as the larger models and is very easy to wear either around the neck or on a belt.  Belt clip adaptor and micarta scales are available.

The steel Rowan uses is 1095 high carbon steel, the same you'll find in bandsaw blades.  This steel has a very good carbide structure and really performs well when a keen or utility edge is applied.  Being high carbon it is prone to rust especially after being exposed to blood, sweat, or other salty/acidic conditions.  Tuff Glide is recomended to wipe the blade down as it's a dry film lube unless you'll use it for skinning or to cut food, then a vegetable oil is suitable.

I'm a fan of ESEE
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I too have been itching for a nice sheath nice. I want a eese-3 for EDC and probably a 5 to keep in my jeep. Might have to get a 6 just to "mess with tx."
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice write up alpha23niner. Some good descriptions.

Quoted:
When do the stainless models come out?

I don't think it has been announced. The Stainless -4 was brought out at last years shot with the LS and the -3 Folder. The -3F was thought to come out in Summer 2011. None have come out yet. They have released a few special runs of colors this last year though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Also according to ESEE's FB page they are coming out with Venom Green/orange micarta 3's, 4's, 5's, 6's, and Junglas'.  5's will also be available in orange with black micarta and black with orange micarta.
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I love my ESEE blades - since the below picture was taken, I have added another IzulaII and a -3MIL...Great Knives

Link Posted: 1/14/2012 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#33]
From Shot Show today. Looks like the Izula has a little brother now!

Edit to add another pic.

Link Posted: 1/17/2012 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
From Shot Show today. Looks like the Izula has a little brother now!

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2v9r6rm.jpg

That's the name of some little fish that swims up your pee pee  

I have a 4 and a fixed HEST. I gave the 4 a few minutes on the sharpmaker and that really made a huge difference. Slices like crazy now.

*comment about roe, penguin penis, and dead fish deleted. But it did exist.

I just got my -4 in a week ago. I'm liking it better than my -3 now. More strait edge to work with. Waiting on my TKC black scales now.

I sold my HEST. I found it awkward in the hand. Weird scale size and odd placement of them made it funky for me. And the fucking pry bar ripping a hole in a new pair of Wrangler cowboy cut jeans was the submit on the for sale thread on it. I never found what the HEST could do that an Izula and a dillo couldn't. The thickness on such a small knife made it a waste of weight. Some guys like it but I guess I never found a good spot for it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Junglas - what else do you need?!??

Link Posted: 1/21/2012 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k307/pick713/3c5841fa.jpg

I still want to convince myself I NEED one of those.
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#39]
ESEE - 5

Nothing fancy.   Nothing expensive.    It is not my everyday carry.   Just a good all purpose adventure knife.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2012 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Got my -5 yesterday.  Added a sheath from the extra's drawer.  Thanks for the info everyone.  Pushed me into getting one of the best knives I have ever owned.  Love the weight!

Link Posted: 1/22/2012 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#41]
This shall be a placeholder for my ESEE-6 that I ordered yesterday. Hopefully I won't have to wait long to post a picture.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k307/pick713/3c5841fa.jpg

I still want to convince myself I NEED one of those.

Just do it. You won't be sorry.  I don't go out without mine. I consider it an essential tool. I have a pocket knife for everything else that the Junglas won't do.

Strapped to my day pack in the sheath.

Link Posted: 1/23/2012 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Used and abused. But sharp as heck.

Link Posted: 1/24/2012 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#44]
My number 1 go to woods knives.  Even more so than the Bussekin...  Thanks to the awesome direct deal from ESEE, I'm about to add a 3, 4, and Izula to the stable so these guys have something to play with.

The Junglas, and his lil brother the 6-

And my first attempt at filework.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

My number 1 go to woods knives.  Even more so than the Bussekin...  Thanks to the awesome direct deal from ESEE, I'm about to add a 3, 4, and Izula to the stable so these guys have something to play with.

The Junglas, and his lil brother the 6-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/quint504/ESEE1.jpg

And my first attempt at filework.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/quint504/ESEE.jpg

Tell us more about this awesome deal, and how do we get in on it please?

Link Posted: 1/24/2012 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#46]
ESEE sells direct with a great discount to FF/LEO/Mil using your agency email address.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
ESEE sells direct with a great discount to FF/LEO/Mil using your agency email address.

+1
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Ah.  FML.

Link Posted: 1/24/2012 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#49]
My g/f has a pink Izula, and I have an older ESEE/Ontario Rat-7

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#50]
In case you've been under a rock, Jeff posted this today.

Here is where we are on new product:

Candirus are being run now. We are waiting on sheathing and they will be shipping. They will be coming with a small cordura pouch sheath. Pricing is going to be about the same as the Izula without the kit.

Laser Strikes are in production and will be shipping soon. Waiting on Kyxdex sheathing. We are thinking pricing on them will be somewhere between the 4 and the 5. They will include a ferro rod and tinder tabs in the handle.

Advanced Fire Kits are probably the coolest thing we have ever built. They are ready to ship now and just waiting on me to get the instruction sheet done. So I am the hold-up on these.

Venom Green Knives: Going to powder now and will be shipping as soon as we get pricing to the dealer network and get them back from powder coating.

Stainless Steel: There will be an Izula and ESEE-4 in 440C this year. Shon is working the details out on that.

Folder: We will be building the Izula folder this year.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top