Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 11:14:39 PM EDT
Planning on ordering either one of these up in the RAT3/RC3 pattern.....

Biggest difference obviously is the blade material, unless I am missing something else....

Which do you recommend?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:53:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe the grip is a bit longer on the RC3.  IIRC the difference is 3/8 inch.  The grip is barely long enough on the RC3 - if you have normal sized hands and want to get 4 fingers on the drip.  3/8 shorter would be a problem for some (many?)...  In addition, the RC3 (RAT Cutlery/ESEE) comes with a lifetime warrantee, I don't thint the RAT3 (Ontario) does...  FWIW...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:05:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Ordinarily, I would prefer the D2 steel as I believe it to be slightly more corrosion resistant than the 1095, and it should hold an edge longer. Since I'm partial to the company ESEE, formerly RAT, my vote would be for their knife in 1095. ESEE knives do have a lifetime warranty. I dont know about the D2 knives made by Ontario knife company.

I own a RAT/ESEE RC4, Izula and a Hest, all in 1095 and I cant say enough good about them. They sharpen very easily and hold a good edge. Check out the ESEE forum on Blade forums.com  and you will understand why their knives would probably be a better choice.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:12:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Planning on ordering either one of these up in the RAT3/RC3 pattern.....

Biggest difference obviously is the blade material, unless I am missing something else....

Which do you recommend?

Second biggest difference is the heat treatment process when they make the blade.  That is what gives it it's strength.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:18:47 AM EDT
[#4]
ESSE it is!

Thanks for the great info guys.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Order placed!

Ordered this and this.

The bravo necker is getting a IWB tuckable overhook that I have laying around from Raven Concealment to make a nice tuckable IWB option.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Order placed!

Ordered this and this.

The bravo necker is getting a IWB tuckable overhook that I have laying around from Raven Concealment to make a nice tuckable IWB option.
Sorry for the "late" nature of this informaiton but...  I was recently doing some RC3 research myself...  I discovered that there are clip point versions of the RC/ESEE 3, 4, & 6.  I was a bit surprised by this as I have never seen these on the RC/ESEE website before.  Because I am not interested in tactical or fighting knives, this information didn't effect any decision that I made but...  This post is more of an FYI for the folks who like tactical knives and also like ESEE designs...  Enjoy!

Note: the "clipped" portion of the blade along the spine (swedge) is sharpened just for the enjoyment of you tactical, fighting knife guys...  

RC-3 with a clip point, "regular" (glass breaking) pommel, non-serrated edge, black/black >>>

RC-4 with a clip point, modified (rounded) pommel, non-serated edge, black/black >>>

RC-3 MIL with clip point, "regular" (glass breaking) pommel, non-serrated edge, blade is black and the handle scales are green canvas micarta.  The sheath is foliage green.  This version was previously only available to military and LE.

Prices are $89 to $97...  

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Thought about the clip point, but I need a good survival knife.  If I start smackin the back of the blade with a clip point...eventually something very bad is going to happen so I stuck with the standard.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thought about the clip point, but I need a good survival knife.  If I start smackin the back of the blade with a clip point...eventually something very bad is going to happen so I stuck with the standard.
I agree 100% - that is why I have no interest in clip points...  But when you mentioned IWB carry, I thought >  IWB = "concealed carry" = tactical application = maybe a clip point...

I'm glad I didn't make you want to change your mind...

My favorite necker (this week) is a Becker Necher (BK11)...  my favorite carry method is >>>

I think IWB all day long would become uncomfortable - at least for me...  OTOH, OTB (on the belt) is very comfortable...  
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Order placed!

Ordered this and this.

Let us know how you like them. The RC 3 and Bravo Necker are on my list to buy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree 100% - that is why I have no interest in clip points...  But when you mentioned IWB carry, I thought >  IWB = "concealed carry" = tactical application = maybe a clip point...

I'm glad I didn't make you want to change your mind...

My favorite necker (this week) is a Becker Necher (BK11)...  my favorite carry method is >>>

http://www.newturfers.com/mwf/attach/72/578372/BK11Comp1.JPG
http://www.newturfers.com/mwf/attach/73/578373/BK11Comp3.JPG

I think IWB all day long would become uncomfortable - at least for me...  OTOH, OTB (on the belt) is very comfortable...  

The IWB application will be for carry while in business casual type clothing that requires a tucked shirt.  Might not be the most comfortable but its the best I can do given the circumstances.

It my not work as I am hoping it will, but the good news is, even if it doesn't, I have a new toy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:59:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm a huge ESEE fan and read their sub-forum on blade forums regularly. There was a recent thread on there about the new clip point knives. Be careful of your state knife laws with these, it seems a lot of states (as vague as they seem to be) restrict clip point style knives. Just saying be careful,not trying to start a debate.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top