Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 1:20:39 PM EDT
and I love it.  Anyone else a fan of the index-open assisted opening Scallion or Leek?  Ken Onion designs?

Got a 1660CKT to go with the 1620H3.  

Seems like a good value for $45.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#1]
A Leek is my EDC (wifes too) I love the things. I've gotten so used to them that a normal manual open knife seems really slow now.

Only complaint I have is that the blade isn't all that durable... I touch up the edge once a week or so (though I'm a stickler, if it ain't hair popping sharp I won't carry it). I want to try the other assisted openers now, SOG in particular.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Love mine, but sharp isn't an issue, as mine is serrated.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I love Kershaw, I have a Blackout.

I accidently over tightend the screw that holds the blade and stripped it out, coudlnt loosen it and couldnt open the blade, I sent it too them and they gave me a brand new one.

I would recommend there knives to anyone after that. I have two or three of there knives, my next will prolly be another one of emm. They have served me well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#4]
How wierd that you post this. I was just going to post that my Kershaw 1660ST broke. Yep I was sitting on the phone chatting, and opening and closing it. Flick it open and it made an unusual noise???hmmm seems the Spring Broke. Ive been meaning to call Kershaw about it. The only thing Im worried about is that I took the safety off of it. I dont know what kind of warranty they have, but hope this doesnt void it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#5]
You know that pesky torx screw for the Kershaws...I think it's a T6.  Well I wanted to swicth the pocket clip and went looking for a T6 socket...GOOD LUCK!  The only thing I could find was an entire set for $150 @ Sears...of like 20 Torx bits...I don't need 19 of them, but you couldn't buy just the one I need.....

So I'm driving down the road yesterday past a group of auto mechanic shop and saw a Mac Tool truck pulling in.  I wheeled around and stopped as the guy was walking to the door of the shop.  I asked him if he sold a single T6 bit.  He laughed and said, "What...you need to tighten your Kershaw?"  I laugh back and say, "How'd ya know?"  Turns out he sells the Leek to his customers and keeps a torx set with the T6 just to tighten the screws of his customers knives.  Offered to swap my pocket clip for free.

If I'm ever in the market for top-nothc tools, I will look up a Mac Tool guy.  What a pleasant experience.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I got my single craftsman pro T-6 at Sears, for $6.    YMMV
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my leek.  I HATE t6 fasteners.  Most knifes use them.  My kershaw does, my Al Mar does, my Benchmade does.  I have yet to find a t6 driver that stands up.  The best I've found is a Husky product.  Anyways yes great knife.  I took the saftey off mine and put grip tape on the side.  After 3 months my torion bar broke.  I was pissed as hell.  But kershaw took care of me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A Leek is my EDC (wifes too) I love the things. I've gotten so used to them that a normal manual open knife seems really slow now.

Only complaint I have is that the blade isn't all that durable... I touch up the edge once a week or so (though I'm a stickler, if it ain't hair popping sharp I won't carry it). I want to try the other assisted openers now, SOG in particular.

+1 for the SOG's. I went from a scallion to the SOG Flash. Its just as fast and holds an edge much better imo.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
+1 for the SOG's. I went from a scallion to the SOG Flash. Its just as fast and holds an edge much better imo.

Thats one I was looking at, though the SOG's have pretty big handles for the blade size. One of the thinks I like about the Leek is that the handle is very thin, you hardly notice that your carrying a knife at all. The SOG's look much bulkier.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Wow...my Sears Hardware Store must blow...they didn't have anything like that and we looked and looked.  Only thing they'd do for me was to look in the catalog (hell, I could'a done that!) and point out the $179(!) 30 piece set I could order that contains the T6 bit.  Ahhhh, no thanks.

Oh well, I ended up paying nothing and getting the clip swapped....

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow...my Sears Hardware Store must blow...they didn't have anything like that and we looked and looked.  Only thing they'd do for me was to look in the catalog (hell, I could'a done that!) and point out the $179(!) 30 piece set I could order that contains the T6 bit.  Ahhhh, no thanks.

Oh well, I ended up paying nothing and getting the clip swapped....

It was the store in Greeley, CO.  Their tool dept is pretty good.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Blackout and a Leek like the one you have, but mine is rainbow coated.   You cant beat the value in Kershaw 'Ken Onion" designs. They are fast as hell and sharp to boot.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have a Blackout and a Leek like the one you have, but mine is rainbow coated.   You cant beat the value in Kershaw 'Ken Onion" designs. They are fast as hell and sharp to boot.

us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/botach_1884_62666822.jpg

i've never seen a knife like that in person.   im going to keeps my eyes open.   How much more expensive does the knife sell for?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
....  The best I've found is a Husky product.  ...

Yep, that little driver from Home Depot with the 4 interchangable bits.  That's really nice.  Benchmade also offers their "Blue Box" tool kit.  It's like twice the price of the Husky.  I don't think it would work twice as well.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/botach_1884_62666822.jpg

i've never seen a knife like that in person.   im going to keeps my eyes open.   How much more expensive does the knife sell for?

umm...I think they are only $50 or so on ebay. So, I guess thats 20 bucks more over a standard leek.  

Its a really nice knife. But its almost too nice, I dont carry it cuz I dont want to bugger it up. This isnt the type of knife that will take blemishes with pride like scars from a battle like a Benchmade or Emerson would. This is the type of knife that is best appreciated in perfect condition....which is why I dont use it at all. And, also why im buying an Emerson
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I was inspired. I took some photos of my Leek

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#17]
thanks for the pic gaspain    

one day i'll get a digital camera
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#18]
You guys need to go to sears and buy this Craftsman T-6

I did when I switched the clip on my EDC Leek
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I love my blackout, It served me well for YEARS
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top