Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 9:38:37 PM EDT
I am looking for a good solid Katana that can take real world abuse.  I am looking for a tool and not a show peace.  My primary concern is quality metal that can hold an edge and take punishment.  I am open to any sugestions and advice.  Also if any one has links to educational material for long term care of long blades would be apreciated.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:32:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:32:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Also not a traditional Katana, but the Himalayan Imports Everest Katana is definitely a user. It is hand forged from the same 5160 carbon spring steel as their khukuri's and features the same zone hardening with a slow water quench. It can be found here:

www.himalayan-imports.com/sword.html

For more info on their swords and Khukuri's in general, visit their official forum over at Blade forums. These are some of the absolute toughest blades in the world:

www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=739

Almost everyday, the owner Yangdu posts special deals on some of their blades. Sometimes you can find a sword in the deals. If not, the price at their actual webstore is more than reasonable. They have the best customer service in the business as well in my opinion. I have always recieved my blades within 3 days of my order. Remember, these are hand forged, hand crafted blades with a lifetime warranty at unbelievable prices. They truly stand behind the product. They will also make to order, but this may cost a little more. This is the type of blade that you could pass down to your grandchildren.  Do yourself a favor and check them out.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Cold Steel's kantana or Paul Chen's Practical Plus Kantana will both fill your bill.

Find them here: www.swordarmory.com/main_pics_pgs/es_armoury.htm

Mike

ps - for the real deal (mucho dinero) these folks make the finest I've seen (and yes I own one of their Iaitos): swordstore.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/02nav/1jpsword.html

These guys are quite popular too: www.bugei.com/index2.html
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#5]
For a killer edge and a hard to beat blade, I would go with a Rob Criswell Katana.  I have all 3 and they are great if you can find them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ready to spend some money? not your traditional katana by any means, but i hear the busse combat AK47 (american kensei 47) is quite the sword. made of INFI steel, hard to beat.

I'm with Hank on this one. If you plan on this blade seeing "hard use" for whatever your purpose may be, a high quality, properly tempered steel such as INFI would be a good choice, not to mention safer than one of lesser quality.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#7]
BUGEI TRADING CO!!!!!! James Williams is a real world Martial artist, the spar with LIVE BLADES, check out the videos on thier site. Thier swords are as good as new swords get. If you have the money get an old Katana that has history to it, those will last forever
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
BUGEI TRADING CO!!!!!!

+1, but be warned you are talking hefty cash now. If 4 digits is too much look at the cold steel line.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
For a killer edge and a hard to beat blade, I would go with a Rob Criswell Katana.  I have all 3 and they are great if you can find them.

Is Rob still making them?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#11]
  If your looking for a blade to bash around  you might consider Kris cutlery

Kris cutlery
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 on the Rob Criswell,

I have 2 and they are very good, relitively inexpensive... if you can find one (As stated earlier)
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
just as a quick note, the busse company store has a few of the AK47s in stock. get 'em while you can!

What's it look like?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
just as a quick note, the busse company store has a few of the AK47s in stock. get 'em while you can!

What's it look like?

Check out the last image of BrianNH's post here: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=4&t=194065
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Im just curious of course but what in the world could you use one for other then hacking someone up with it?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Im just curious of course but what in the world could you use one for other then hacking someone up with it?

Slice up Pizza like Leonardo in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Saving bullets when you're only up against a couple of zombies at a time?
Looks cool?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#18]
The Howard Clark L6 Katana (www.mvforge.com/BE%27sA.html) is widely regarded as the sturdiest sword available for actual practice cutting of rolled tatami mats.  Be a shame to have a sword like that and not have some actual training on how to use it, not to mention dangerous.  swordforum.com/ is pretty much the AR15.com of the sword world.  Lots of great info.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
ready to spend some money? not your traditional katana by any means, but i hear the busse combat AK47 (american kensei 47) is quite the sword. made of INFI steel, hard to beat.

The Busse AK47 is a very nice sword, but it's more like wakazashi length than katana.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What would you use an assult rifle for other than shooting a lot of people?

My interest in swords has to do with an appreciation of the weapon itself.  I hope to have a sword someday made by a japanese man using the old world methods.  I would have it as a wall hanger only since I have had no training with them but for me they are like fine art.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:50:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Your way of thought is scary.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:28:18 AM EDT
[#22]
+1 on the Cold Steel
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:30:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your way of thought is one of a scared liberal pansy.

Fixed it for you.
If you're asking that question on a gun forum I'm wondering if you might not be a little confused.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I cannot belive you asked that question. You need to be
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

What are YOU going to do when the ammo's all gone and the Zombies keep coming?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are YOU going to do when the ammo's all gone and the Zombies keep coming?

Laugh now... but what about the dead frat boy that attacked some guy in his house.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I actually have some swords and will be adding a few Katanas to my collection, I was just curious as to what he would use it for other then a wall hanger. As he said he wanted one that could "take real world abuse".

Im just wondering what a sword could be used for besides hanging on a wall. Unless of course you find someone else with a sword who wants to practice a sword art with you.

Cause swinging a sword at the air gets boring after about 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Im just wondering what a sword could be used for besides hanging on a wall. Unless of course you find someone else with a sword who wants to practice a sword art with you.

These two tards I worked with in Germany would go outside during breaks and sword fight with wooden swords. It was the greatest thing to watch our OPs NCO pummel one of the E4's with his huge Braveheart sword. I was usually over in about 10 seconds.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Im just wondering what a sword could be used for besides hanging on a wall.

If I had an L6 katana I'd be all about the tameshigiri!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#30]
.gaT
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I've always kinda wanted one too!  But the cost always drove me away......
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry for the bump, I don't look in this forum often, but if people are looking for antique Japanese swords, this site should definately be on your list of places to check. It's an antique dealer in Tokyo, they offer authenticity certificates with their swords and if the sword isn't what the certificate says it is, they offer a full refund.

www.aoi-art.com/

Prices on their swords currently range from US$2940 to over US$30,000.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:08:33 AM EDT
[#33]
This is my favorite Japanese sword vendor.  One would definitely want to perfect one's technique before test cutting with a sword from either of these sites!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I actually have some swords and will be adding a few Katanas to my collection, I was just curious as to what he would use it for other then a wall hanger. As he said he wanted one that could "take real world abuse".

Cause swinging a sword at the air gets boring after about 5 minutes.

Even for just a wall-hanger, why waste time with a flimsy knock-off?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Does the Busse AK47 come with a sheath?  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Hattori Hanzo!

Seriously, I gotta "+1" for BUGEI TRADING CO!!!!!!

This is the blade I've been considering for more than a year, but I'm still not sure if I can justify buying it. I really don't plan on slicing any zombies anytime soon, and it won't do a helluva lotta good against werewolves or vampires, or many of the mutant alien races I'll probably never encounter.

Crane Katana: Price US $1095.00

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:06:41 AM EDT
[#38]
First thanks for all the imput.  Second I own firearms and rarely have time to go to the range any more because of work.  So do I buy airsoft or do I look at getting real weapons for the safe.  (I did 8 years in the army I got my first AR for nastologic reasons.  I actually missed it!)  Same thing with a sword, if I wanted a purely decoative set I can get a $30 3 peace set and let it collect dust.  Its all about apreciation of artistry and just the big dick satisfaction of having the real deal.  Do I want to cut some one up no.  Do I plan on sliceing on some mats for practice, not now.  But having the option to do so if I wanted to is what I'm all about.  Again thank you all for the links, I apreciate the information.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#39]
This post reminded me of something cool that happened to me 2 weeks ago.

We went to Palm Springs to visit my wifes grandparents which are around 86 years old. I was cruising around their house checking out all of the stuff they had collected over the years and I come across this umbrella rack that has swords in it. Right away I can see two WWI era USN offcier swords, but behind those were 2 Katanas and 1 Shoto, and 1 loose Shoto blade. I asked her grandpa were he got them and he said that his dad had brought them back from Japan when he was just a kid.

So at that point I'm amazed cause these things are the real deal. And yes they were amazingly sharp still. They could stand to be restored because they had probably sat there for God knows how long. But they were gorgeous! The details in the handle and on the collar and the ornaments under the wraps were phenomenal.

I was kicking myself because I didn't bring my digital camera. I wanted to take pictures so that I could track down the maker / makers via the markings and signature (MEI).

I've always been amazed at the stories about the Japanese sword makers and their swords, but I had never seen a real one before. One of them had this really cool lock mechanism that locked the sword into it's Saya via a small button on the handle, way cool.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#40]
They have some pretty good deals on katanas on HSN.

Link
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Does the Busse AK47 come with a sheath?  

No, but Busse's website lists a number of sheath makers who can make one for you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
They have some pretty good deals on katanas on HSN.

Link

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#43]
I am surprised nobody brought up www.hayesknives.com yet. Wally Hayes has a great reputation, and he makes his swords to be used.

OR www.dfoggknives.com

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:38:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Check these out...

Criswell Katana

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top